pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Front squats, bar position

Where do you guys position the bar on the shoulders for front squats, for the cross armed technique ? I find my shoulders are killing me after I do these and they are leaving really bad bruises, is this normal ?

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ideally i think closer to the neck the better because otherwise it tends to roll down my front delts. then again i often feel like i'm choking. i actually don't get bruised, i get sore side delts the next day sometimes making me realize i need to do a better job of placing the bar in the "sweet spot" (right behind the bumps from your front delt insertions) so my side delts don't have to do much in the way of fighting to hold the bar up. i wouldn't advise the pad, just trying to get it in the sweet spot if possible. good luck and train hard.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pepingtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    ideally i think closer to the neck the better because otherwise it tends to roll down my front delts. then again i often feel like i'm choking. i actually don't get bruised, i get sore side delts the next day sometimes making me realize i need to do a better job of placing the bar in the "sweet spot" (right behind the bumps from your front delt insertions) so my side delts don't have to do much in the way of fighting to hold the bar up. i wouldn't advise the pad, just trying to get it in the sweet spot if possible. good luck and train hard.
    thanks

drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pepingtom View Post
    Where do you guys position the bar on the shoulders for front squats, for the cross armed technique ? I find my shoulders are killing me after I do these and they are leaving really bad bruises, is this normal ?
    this shouldnt hurt at all.seems like i remember it hurting first few times i tried though.
    are your shoulders big?
    Eat for what you are about to do, not for what you have already done.

if i don't know how to cut ,why would i be bold enough to bulk?

'Failure' isn't a requirement for growth, but progression is.

http://www.********.com/pages/Romans-fitness/193327960714025

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you don't like the crossed arms version, try the Olympic/rack/clean position.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

Registered User LatinoMusculito's Avatar
    LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50) LatinoMusculito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I find that the sweet spot is in the groove between your front delt and your trap, bar over your collar bone, to the point it's chocking you if you lean back too much. So have it between there, but lean forward just enough so the bar isn't choking you, and use your core, delts, and your whole body to stabalize in that position without rolling forward, and keeping your chin up, even looking up at the ceiling.

Tough out a few workouts of it and you will adapt and get more comfortable.
    Last edited by LatinoMusculito; 12-28-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    "A man becomes what he thinks about."

Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Dingo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anyone have a good video/picture or something? Ive been struggling to get this position right, I dont want to risk an injury.

EDIT nvm just found one
    Last edited by Deviant Dingo; 12-28-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Member of the Skeleton Crew

Aus Crew

stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use the crossed arm position, and like you I always seem to come out of it with something to show for it on my shoulders. Its not a bruise, but its more of a couple red spots. Too me, if I dont get the bar positioned securely even light weight feels hard.
    Lift heavy ass weight
    Bench - 320
    Squat - 415
    dead - 460

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pepingtom View Post
    Yes, it's normal, just as Back Squats "hurt the neck/upper back" area for a time. And also, as with Back Squats, don't try to use a pad, or a towel or any other object between you and the bar. Just suck it up for now; you'll get used to it, and your shoulders will toughen up, and the bruising will go away.

Keep those elbows UP.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for me, it's either do it with your arms crossed and have sore shoulders.. or do with with my hands under the bar like in the video and have intense wrist pain from the lack of flexibilty due to being much bigger now.

Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    If you don't like the crossed arms version, try the Olympic/rack/clean position.
    this. i prefer the olympic grip. it looks weird and uncomfortable but it is quite nice once u settle in to it.
    01-2009: 139 lbs
    01-2010: 181 lbs
    2010 goal : 200 lbs - 10% bf

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by skitd103 View Post
    for me, it's either do it with your arms crossed and have sore shoulders.. or do with with my hands under the bar like in the video and have intense wrist pain from the lack of flexibilty due to being much bigger now.
    Do them twice a week (1 heavy, 1 light) and your wrists will get used to it after a couple of weeks, took me less than 3 weeks to get used to it.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133