Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000)

Dosquito's high-recommendable hip-hop thread

I have >600 hip hop albums. Throughout my experience, I have found that there are many albums that I don't like that are considered classics. Also, there are a few albums that I really like that lots of people think are average.

These are albums that I would absolutely recommend to people who are interested in getting into hip-hop, or to people who think Lil Wayne is the best because they've never heard good rap before (not dissin on Lil Wayne):

1) Paid in Full by Eric B. and Rakim - This is nothing short of essential. Give it >10 listens. It will grow on you. When I first heard it I thought it was really dated and boring. Once you learn the lyrics, you will be hooked for life. Probably my second favorite album of all time.

2) Illmatic by Nas - This album is perfection. My favorite album. You must get it.

3) The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Question - A jazzy hip-hop album by one of the greatest groups of all time. Those who think they don't like rap should definitely check this out.

4) Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous by Big L - Big L is the master of punchlines and it's not even close. This album is a must for anybody who thinks they've ever appreciated a good punchline before.

5) 36 Chambers by Wu Tang Clan - This album is just dope. That's all it is. It's dope in music form. Go get it.

6) Below the Heavens by Blu and Exile - If you get ONE underground album after 2000, make it this one. Seriously, this is a great album, it might be top 10 all time material.

7) aka the Rugged Child by Shyheim - At 15 or 16 years old, Shyheim's voice captivates you from the beginning. His lyrics rival that of masters of the game. Really good album.

8) Midnight Marauders by ATCQ - Another tribe album that's a must.

9) All We Got Iz Us by Onyx - Oh my god! This album is RAW. If you like hearing grimy storytelling over cold, dark beats, you have GOT to cop this joint.

10) Atliens + Aquemini by Outkast - Both of these are total classics. Atliens is probably better and you have got to check it out, no question.

11) All Balls don't Bounce by Aceyalone

12) All of the Above by J-live

13) Ice Cube's first few albums - Ice Cube has a really impressive discography. Most of his albums are classics. If you like down to the point story telling and dope beats, check out Cube.

14) All Common Albums - Common is a great lyricist etc etc etc just get them

15) Liquid Swords by Gza - Wow, this album is great. Gza is one of the best lyricists around and the production is fantastic.

16) Ready to Die by notorious BIG - I like this a lot more than Life After Death

17) All Eyez on Me by Pac

18) Boy in Da Corner by Dizzee Rascal - One of the most fun albums I've ever listened to. If you like dope beats, this album is for you. It's as simple as that.

19) I wish my Brother George was Here by Del the Funkee Homosapien - Another fun album. Del is seriously talented. I highly recommend this album to anyone.

20) Doggystyle by Snoop

21) The Chronic + 2001 by Dre

22) Straight Outta Compton by NWA - The ultimate gangsta rap

23) The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox - Great underground album.

24) Funcrusher Plus by Company Flow

25) Anything by KRS One, especially Criminal Minded - KRS One is THE conscious rapper. He's really brilliant.

26) Endtroducing by DJ Shadow - A GREAT instrumental album. A must as far as I'm concerned.

27) The Fabulous Chi Ali by Chi Ali - another kid rapper.

28) How Ya Like me Now by Kool Moe Dee

29) Ridin Dirty by UGK

30) The Infamous by Mobb Deep - If you already like rap, you will like this album.

31) The Diary by Scarface

32) Mic Club by Canibus

33) Madvillainy by Madvillain

34) Most Redman albums

35) Nia by Blackalicious

36) Original Gangster by Ice-t

37) Only Built for Cuban Linx by Raekwon

38) Organized Konfusion by Organized Konfusion - THIS ALBUM IS A MUST. THIS IS EASILY A TOP 5 ALBUM BY MY STANDARDS. Do yourself a favor and get it.

39) Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z

40) Relax, Relate, Release by El Da Sensei

41) Selling Live Water by Sole

42) The Sun Rises in the East by Jeru the Damaja - THIS ALBUM IS A MUST.

43) Doe or Die by AZ

Good Concept Albums:

Concept albums are albums that have a theme to them. In hip hop, these are often the most brilliant albums.

1) Deltron 3030 by Deltron - An album set in the year 3030. It's brilliant and you have to get it.

2) Dr. Octagonecologyst by Dr. Octagon

3) A Prince Among Thieves by Prince Paul

4) A Book of Human Language by Aceyalone

5) The Equinox by Organized Konfusion

I just ran through my Itunes and when I saw somethin that made me go "oh that's dope" I added it to the list. I'm sure I looked over some by accident.
    Last edited by Dosquito; 06-24-2008 at 09:40 AM.

HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very good taste in music man.
    I agree with you about Blu & Exile. I will definitely snag some of these albums like Onyx (I'm a HUGE fan of grimy story telling, hence my reasons for loving Mobb Deep back in their prime).

Reps for the inspiration!

EDIT: I also agree with you about Eric B. And Rakim's album. When I listened to it I was like mehh this is too "old school" sounding. So I never gave it the light of day. I skipped that album and went to Rakim's more modern stuff but I will definitely do what you suggested, listen to it at least 10 times, and we shall see.
    Last edited by HamMach1; 06-23-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    But I heard you give your favorite producer
    head in trade for his creative juices.

USAF

Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000) Dosquito is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HamMach1 View Post
    Very good taste in music man.
    I agree with you about Blu & Exile. I will definitely snag some of these albums like Onyx (I'm a HUGE fan of grimy story telling, hence my reasons for loving Mobb Deep back in their prime).

Reps for the inspiration!

EDIT: I also agree with you about Eric B. And Rakim's album. When I listened to it I was like mehh this is too "old school" sounding. So I never gave it the light of day. I skipped that album and went to Rakim's more modern stuff but I will definitely do what you suggested, listen to it at least 10 times, and we shall see.
    Bro, Rakim is truly the greatest. Every single verse he spits on Paid in Full is seamless and brilliant. Pay attention and take notes. "If you got more, I'll wait" Rakim prophetically said to all other MCs. None of them have ever come close to him (imho).

By the way, I am sure you will love that Onyx joint. If you like it you should get Cannibal Ox as well.

HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dosquito View Post
    Bro, Rakim is truly the greatest. Every single verse he spits on Paid in Full is seamless and brilliant. Pay attention and take notes. "If you got more, I'll wait" Rakim prophetically said to all other MCs. None of them have ever come close to him (imho).

By the way, I am sure you will love that Onyx joint. If you like it you should get Cannibal Ox as well.
    Already have Cannibal Ox. Their music is wild. Took me a good while for them to grow on me but I love them now, same with Sole.

USAF

Already have Cannibal Ox. Their music is wild. Took me a good while for them to grow on me but I love them now, same with Sole.
    Same, when I first heard Selling Live Water I was like "wtf is this emo crap, he doesn't even rhyme. the production is pretty damn good though." now i love that cd

Same, when I first heard Selling Live Water I was like "wtf is this emo crap, he doesn't even rhyme. the production is pretty damn good though." now i love that cd
    Yeah man the production on Selling Live Water is solid. I love Teepee On a Highway Blues, Pawn In The Game Pt.1, and Sebago. All are nasty songs from Sole.

I just checked that Onyx album and god damn you were not joking about the dark beats. I remember hearing "Last Dayz" which has one of the nastiest beats I've heard... ever.

USAF

fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    STRONG list. repped. and i think there is nothing wrong with weezy as long as your listening to Hot Boyz or Carter 1. Anything after that is going downhill.

i didn't see any lupe on your list either? one of my current favs.

edit: no kanye? jigga? mos def? common? em? im sure you just listen to them. just missed em.
    Last edited by fosss; 06-23-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    "Obsession is a word used by the weak to define what we call Dedication."

Originally Posted by fosss View Post
    STRONG list. repped. and i think there is nothing wrong with weezy as long as your listening to Hot Boyz or Carter 1. Anything after that is going downhill.

edit: no kanye? jigga? mos def? common? em? im sure you just listen to them. just missed em.
    I think Lupe is one of the best out right now. The man is undeniably talented and extremely versatile. I saw him in concert and it was one good way to pop my concert cherry.

USAF

fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fosss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think Lupe is one of the best out right now. The man is undeniably talented and extremely versatile. I saw him in concert and it was one good way to pop my concert cherry.
    exactly. his lyrics and flow are incredible. repped for being a lupe fan.

Originally Posted by fosss View Post

i never really got into mos def so i can't "highly recommend" him. lupe is pretty hot but not one of my favorites. kanye west is a mediocre mc...he is lucky that his songs are produced so well. common is listed up there. common is great. and reasonable doubt by jigga's in theree

A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) A FREAK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    true, illmatic album is something else some crazy stuff! my favorite hip-hop album as well, nas really brings down the heat lyrically!
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is.
    As your desire is, so is your will.
    As your will is, so is your deed.
    As your deed is, so is your destiny"

neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) neyeswhip has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good list. Raekwon -OB4CL should be way higher though, easily a top 10 album ever.

Originally Posted by neyeswhip View Post
    Good list. Raekwon -OB4CL should be way higher though, easily a top 10 album ever.
    It's not in order, but I never considered OB4CL to be that good anyhow. It's a good album, probably top 50, and very recommendable

IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Givin a HELL YEAH for Paid in Full, Illmatic, and Low End Theory!
    <3 Lakers <3 49ers <3

Originally Posted by IllPhill View Post
    Givin a HELL YEAH for Paid in Full, Illmatic, and Low End Theory!
    Word. I don't think any music, much less hip hop, collection is complete without those 3 classics.

IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Word. I don't think any music, much less hip hop, collection is complete without those 3 classics.
    No doubt. Those 3 happen to be the albums I would list if I had to share my favorites.

u admirin albums?

I also have Blu & Exile Below the Heavens. I haven't listened to it in depth enough, but the first track My World Is is hot fcking fire!
    <3 Lakers <3 49ers <3

Originally Posted by IllPhill View Post
    No doubt. Those 3 happen to be the albums I would list if I had to share my favorites.

u admirin albums?

I also have Blu & Exile Below the Heavens. I haven't listened to it in depth enough, but the first track My World Is is hot fcking fire!
    Yo, give that album a spin dawg! It's great. So fresh and emotional.

Yo, give that album a spin dawg! It's great. So fresh and emotional.
    +1

My favorite song right now on Blu's album is "No Greater Love".

EDIT: Also... sadly, I will have to admit, I don't think I have ever listened to a Tribe Called Quest. I'll check them out.
    Last edited by HamMach1; 06-23-2008 at 10:40 PM.

USAF

straight bars no bullsh!t mizzOe's Avatar
    mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mizzOe has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    +1

My favorite song right now on Blu's album is "No Greater Love".

EDIT: Also... sadly, I will have to admit, I don't think I have ever listened to a Tribe Called Quest. I'll check them out.
    NEGGED!! jk

Great list!
    Misc Strength Crew

I'm acting like a broke 'Di Nero in Casino
    Addicted to wicked women, reel them in to eat my ego.

I'll check them out.
    Yeah....get on it. Check the rhime while you're at it too (lulz )
    <3 Lakers <3 49ers <3

macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) macaroni16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Cool Kids- The Bake Sale!!

best album of the summer ya'll, BANGIN!

I am definitely digging Tribe. **** is nice!

USAF

I forgot to mention, this list comes with the dosquito guarantee. I stand by all these albums. If there are any you don't like, let me know and maybe I can figure out something you're missing out on

In my prime like optimus hiphophead's Avatar
    hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50) hiphophead will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    great list. agree with everything.

no love for AZ or cormega?
    PSN - flynn18

Originally Posted by hiphophead View Post

the format and the come up are both fire.

Originally Posted by hiphophead View Post

I think AZ and cormega are some of the most overrated "slept on" MCs. Doe or Die is a solid 4.5 stars and should be on that list, though. I'll edit it.

Registered User cantpackonmuscle's Avatar
    cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000)
    im pickin up a few of these ive never heard of before
    ill rep u if theyre any good

Registered User cantpackonmuscle's Avatar
    cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000) cantpackonmuscle is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I think AZ and cormega are some of the most overrated "slept on" MCs. Doe or Die is a solid 4.5 stars and should be on that list, though. I'll edit it.
    overrated? underrated if anything...

I personally find AZ to be rediculously talented. Cormega is alright, his style and voice gets boring pretty fast, but he's still not bad by any means.

USAF

Originally Posted by MSR9889 View Post
    overrated? underrated if anything...
    AZ's discography is pretty disappointing after doe or die. His best songs are all with Nas.

Cormega is good but not in high doses