DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Distal Clavicle Osteolysis?

Hi guys, new member here...I was an avid weight-lifter and have been suffering from a significant injury to my shoulder, Im hoping some of you can answer my doubts and lend some advice.

I just received my MRI results, and this is exactly what it says: (I think it may suggest more than just Distal Clavicle Osteolysis)

1. Nonspecific increased signal in the distal clavicle which given history of recent weight lifting and subsequent acute onset of pain is suggestive of early posttraumatic osteolysis, in the setting of direct trauma may represent contusion. Correlate for point tenderness.
    2. Early signal changes in the distal supraspinatus tendon just proximal to its insertion to the greater tuberosity may represent early degeneration.

Also more facts to provide background:
    - When I first had this injury it was only a very minor pain, more of a burning sensation. I figured it was nothing of importance, and kept working out until it started hurting alot. Id say I worked out for about a month with the injury before I realized it was serious and stopped.
    - From that point, Ive had 8 full months of total rest, no weight lifting of any kind.
    - Naproxen has worked very well for me, I feel almost no pain when taking it.
    - As of right now I feel no pain at all, even without Naproxen...however I do feel slight pain whenever I sleep on it.

My main questions are...

Do I have just a common case of Distal Clavicle Osteolysis, or does the MRI indicate anything else?

How much longer should I rest before working out again? It concerns me that I still have pain if I sleep on it, and that the MRI still showed this problem after so much rest.

Is it possible that I will ever be 100% healthy again? I rather wait as much as necessary to not further aggravate this, but I dont know if any further improvement is possible.

Will I be able to lift as heavy as I used to? If I cant go heavy I almost see no point in working out again.

Is it inevitable that I will need surgery for this at some point? Ive read about many members here who ended up having surgery, and who had a tough time rehabbing.

Thanks for your time, any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by DADE_COUNTY; 06-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Have a read through this thread, especially Nainoa's posts.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=632909

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stipem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same thing. I gave it a year and then made the decision to have the surgery. I couldn't lift for about 4 months after the surgery because my doc detached the deltoid. Anyhow, it?s now 7 months later and I?m back to lifting heavy again. It?s at about 95% and getting stronger weekly. I did do the PT exercises religiously and followed doc orders.

All of your questions are appropriate but, for me, I weighed my options and it seemed like it was the best idea to have the surgery. 7 months later, lifting and sleeping without pain.

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Good luck!

DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DADE_COUNTY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by stipem View Post
    I had the same thing. I gave it a year and then made the decision to have the surgery. I couldn't lift for about 4 months after the surgery because my doc detached the deltoid. Anyhow, it?s now 7 months later and I?m back to lifting heavy again. It?s at about 95% and getting stronger weekly. I did do the PT exercises religiously and followed doc orders.

All of your questions are appropriate but, for me, I weighed my options and it seemed like it was the best idea to have the surgery. 7 months later, lifting and sleeping without pain.

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Good luck!
    Thanks man.

I guess basically what I really wanna know is...how did you know you needed surgery?

Did you give your shoulder adequate rest, or did you try to keep working out through the pain and thats what made it worse?

I havent needed any cortizone shots like Ive read about, the Naproxen has worked very well...minimal pain. However that may be due to the fact I havent worked out in 9 months...I intend to start working out again soon.

Also, was your pain specifically on the AC joint (top of shoulder/end of clavicle), or did it spread out around the shoulder? Ive gotten some pain/stiffness/soreness around my entire shoulder, seems odd to me that DCO would do that.
    Last edited by DADE_COUNTY; 06-25-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Also, I think my primary Doctor does not know what he's talking about...he said he believes my MRI is wrong and that I have Periostitis in my shoulder instead...he wasnt familiar with DCO at all.

SEVF81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Ac joint osteolysis HELP!!!

New member here. Doctor diagnosed me with weight lifters shoulder aka distal clavical osteolysis. He told me to take off 4-6 weeks. I am training for varsity football and i need this to heal. If the pain dosent go away after the time off what stuff could i do that wouldent irritate it alot? And has anybody worked through the pain and did the "self surgery"?? Please help