Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are carbs bad when you're already in ketosis?

I've found that I can eat about 50g of low-GI carbs a day and stay in keto.

Does eating that many carbs every day hurt me? Or does it not matter since they're not being used for energy anymore?

Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rexy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    your just making the amount of fat you lose each day less.

Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000) Dirty Shoez is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Eat the Carbs. Do not deprive yourself. You are not going to run your long-term goals--the only goals you'll mess up are you 25-48 hour goals, if anything. And i stress if anything.

Just last night, I wasn't even sure I was in ketosis.....but i wanted some fajitas, and damn it, I wanted low-carb wraps to go with them. So i had them. Sure enough, I was in ketosis all along. Probably still am. And I just had a ton of white rice the night before.

Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nutir is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Once I got really fat adapted (about a month after I started), I found that I could allow myself more carbs during the day.
    It helps me add taste to some dishes

My advice: don't overdo it, if you get kicked out you "lose" a couple of days (if not more) of real fat burning
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    *** Scandinavian Misc Crew ***

"Everything you do, every single decision you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further from your goal. You either grow or you regress; nothing stands still."

Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hawklet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
    your just making the amount of fat you lose each day less.
    How?

I already said that it's not kicking me out of keto.

fatejd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hawklet View Post
    How?

You're going to burn those carbs first, then the fat

nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10) nrgpump is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How?

As long as you're fat adapted and in ketosis, it doesnt matter whether you're getting 0 carbs or 50carbs... except for the few calories it mite add

Bump.

Getting some mixed replies.

einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10) einzelgaenger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My goal is 0 carbs, always.

with that goal, I manage to squeeze by on ~10g of net carbs a day.

If I had a goal of 20g of carbs or 30.. or *gasp* 50... I don't even want to think about that....

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't make it a point to eat that many.... but if you do it isn't a big deal and won't hurt your long term goals, of course you are going to burn those 50g off before you burn more fat though..
    @__@

Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    I wouldn't make it a point to eat that many.... but if you do it isn't a big deal and won't hurt your long term goals, of course you are going to burn those 50g off before you burn more fat though..
    How is that any different than eating 20g of fat?

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How is that any different than eating 20g of fat?
    Because your body prefers carbs over fat as an energy source . . . any carbs you take in will be burned before the body looks for another energy source. Same thing with alcohol . . . if you drink, your body will burn that ahead of anything else. So 50g of carbs may not be a huge deal (especially if ingested around your workouts--a 'la TKD) but your body will burn them at the expense of fat.

At least I believe that is correct. I'm not holding myself out as an expert on the subject.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10) stewaat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Dirty Shoez View Post
    Eat the Carbs. Do not deprive yourself. You are not going to run your long-term goals--the only goals you'll mess up are you 25-48 hour goals, if anything. And i stress if anything.

Just last night, I wasn't even sure I was in ketosis.....but i wanted some fajitas, and damn it, I wanted low-carb wraps to go with them. So i had them. Sure enough, I was in ketosis all along. Probably still am. And I just had a ton of white rice the night before.
    What do you mean deprive?

Keto is not eating carbs. You are on your own diet.

But hey if it works for you you're fine.
    I'm an athlete

wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've found that I can eat about 50g of low-GI carbs a day and stay in keto.

Does eating that many carbs every day hurt me? Or does it not matter since they're not being used for energy anymore?

First of all, you're 19. You could probably eat 200 carbs a day and still be in keto. (OK, not really, but my point is that your metabolism right now is racing.)

All I can tell you is that personally, I can only stay in keto only if I eat under 30 carbs while others can eat 50 and still remain in ketosis.

Additionally, I can "carb up" and feel terrific for the next few days on only 100 grams of carb, where others need to spend all day chowing down.

There is so much variance and so much depends on age, activity, genetics, environment, etc that the ONLY way to know is for you to experiment on yourself.

Keep excellent records and use performance measures (things you can count).

For example, you might try strength levels on the bench press and squat . . . speed while running a 440 m . . . how many times you can jump on a 24" box before dying . . . etc.

Quality measures also work. Use a scale from 1 to 5 where 5 is TERRIFIC and 1 is AWFUL. measure MOOD, ENERGY, QUALITY OF SLEEP, DREAMS (!), etc.

Finally, if you can afford it, blood work is also a very useful tool.

It's like shooting at a target. You see where the first bullet hit and you adjust and fire again. See where the second bullet hit and adjust and fire again. Keep doing it until your rounds are on target then let it rip.

The experimentation will teach you a lot about "keto" and a lot about yourself.

Enjoy the journey. Good luck.