dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50)

First PL Competition (Questions)

Hey guys, I am competing in my first PL competition Sept. 13th at Muscle Beach (venice beach) CA. I entered the 18-19 year old age group at 181, deadlift, squat and bench press.

For my first competition what gear should I bring, what should I expect etc.
    Do I need a squat/deadlift suit and bench shirt considering my lifts aren't that great? Or should I just buy a wrestling singlet or a squat suit and use it in all my lifts?

I haven't tested my maxes in awhile but they fall somewhere in this range...
    DL: projected 405-425
    Squat: projected 315-335
    BP: projected 225-245

BRUTAL STRENGTH CREW MrSkullCrusher's Avatar
    MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000) MrSkullCrusher is just really nice. (+1000)
    go raw and just get use to being at a meet. Get a lifting singlet.
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BENCH Aint ONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkOd3D7B9Jk

Best lifts in comp:
    620lb Bench press with single ply Fury.
    530lb Bench press Raw
    640lb Deadlift Raw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxhegfRjHkg

dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50) dcdrumonthis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Could you point me in the direction of where to get a lifting singlet?

At the moment my bag contains:
    Chalk
    Chuck Taylors
    Knee Wraps
    Belt

45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrSkullCrusher View Post
    go raw and just get use to being at a meet. Get a lifting singlet.

http://www.houseofpain3.com

http://www.elitefts.com

http://www.criticalbench.com

http://www.inzernet.com

Check around a few of the above sights.
    Monday Bench
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Drink beer
    Thursday Drink more beer
    Friday Bench
    Saturday celebrate benching by drinking beer
    Sunday plan for benching

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dcdrumonthis View Post
    Hey guys, I am competing in my first PL competition Sept. 13th at Muscle Beach (venice beach) CA. I entered the 18-19 year old age group at 181, deadlift, squat and bench press.

Do I need a squat/deadlift suit and bench shirt considering my lifts aren't that great? Or should I just buy a wrestling singlet or a squat suit and use it in all my lifts?

Need to read the rules of the meet you are going to. If it is a meet put on by a federation, you will need a singlet. If it is just a gym meet, then you might not need one. Read the rules of the meet first.

Also, I think unless you have a pl crew that you train with, and they train in gear, then I would lift raw. Now if you have some guys you train with that use gear, get a shirt and suit and train in them every day you train to learn them and compete geared.

Since I feel you will probably compete raw, I would show up at the meet with the following gear:
    Singlet
    Knee and Wrist wraps
    Belt
    Flat sole shoes (chucks or wrestling)
    Chalk (just in case they run out)
    Plenty of food for the day
    iPod or similar MP3 player
    Towel
    extra shirt and underware

thanks guys, yeah I think I will go raw...I read the rules and they said that you need to compete in a singlet, deadlift or squat suit. No wrist straps though! So I've been working really hard on my grip.

Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thanks guys, yeah I think I will go raw...I read the rules and they said that you need to compete in a singlet, deadlift or squat suit. No wrist straps though! So I've been working really hard on my grip.
    Straps never allowed....WRAPS usually are allowed.

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you are receiving excellent help in this thread. good luck

Originally Posted by Andalite View Post
    you are receiving excellent help in this thread. good luck
    Yes I really am, thanks alot guys

NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST
    1. Gym bag
    2. squat suit, bp shirt(2) & dl suit.
    3. wrist wraps
    4. singlet
    5. belt
    6. Cooler
    7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
    8. H20
    9. Towel
    10. Camera
    11. Membership card
    12. Extra $$$$
    13. Extra clothes
    14. Pen
    15. Rubbing ointment
    16. Deodorant
    17. Vitamin H20

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 06-23-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Aut vincere aut mori randomhero97's Avatar
    randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) randomhero97 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just to add on to what these guys said you definitely want to take plenty of gatorade, water, and snacks. Meets are usually an all day event so you will need to refuel. What I usually take for snacks are trailmix, fruit, a small sandwich of some sort, ready made protein shakes like Myoplex or something. Pack it all into a small cooler with a bag of ice and you should be good to go.
    "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

- Samuel Adams

truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10) truth4free is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great first meet to pick. Although the info is a bit incomplete I am going of make a couple of assumptions and give you a different view. Going to assume you are serious, you are from California, and that $ is a consideration but not to the point you can not afford some gear. I am also going to assume you have or can find someone to help you get into gear, especially the bench shirt. Most of the meets in Southern California are USPF meets, like this one, and it is a single ply fed. Since you are serious I would go ahead and make some cheap investments in beginner gear. I am only familiar with the Inzer stuff so I would suggest a Z-suit or a Champion to squat in and I would also DL in it. I would get a HD Blast, or the one up from that for benching. I might go a size bigger in the bench shirt than suggested. I am sure other brands, Titan etc have equally as good or better equipment I am just not familiar. The squat suit is not that hard to get into by yourself but the bench shirt would be damn near impossible so you will need someone. Get you a good PL belt. I would invest in some really good knee and wrist wraps, I use Inzer's but I know there are other great wraps out there. All this shouldn't cost you much more then $200, Z-suit $40-45 HD blast $40-50, Wraps $15-20x2, Belt $60. Obviously if you can get some used it will be less, Inzer site has a used equipment section. You are not going to get a bunch out of the suits and wraps but you will get some and you will begin to learn how to lift in gear. You have do jum into the water one day. You might get 40-70 out of the squat suit, 10-20 out of the DL, and 10-20 out of the bench if you can learn it. This is with the thinking you can get the gear and have about 8-10 weeks to learn it. This gear is second tier stuff but it is good for learning and you will ge some added lbs. With all this said I am not entirely disagreeing with going at it raw, just tying to give you another option. See you @ Venice Beach and Good Luck