Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000) FitIron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by D1111 View Post
    Maybe someone can tell me why is it best to tan after working out??? because this is news to me???
    helps to remove SUB-Q water....

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by D1111 View Post
    Maybe someone can tell me why is it best to tan after working out??? because this is news to me???
    Besides what FitIron said, increased circulation from your workout brings more blood (and thus melanin) to the skin's surface (what "tingle factor" in tanning accelerator does). You'll probably also notice your skin has more of a tendency to react to natural sunlight when you've been moving around in it rather than just laying in it.

Originally Posted by Tallgntlmn View Post
    If that's the case, when should you?

I would think it would be better after, but these are a bunch of guesses. First, you won't smell like girly lotion during your workout if you go after. It's relaxing after. If you do burn, you wouldn't irritate it by a repetitive motion or rubbing on machinery. Your skin is already warm and blood is flowing which could help melanin production as well as the lotion getting in your skin.

I really have no idea which would be better. When I do go, I go after. For me, I do not like smelling like a tanning bed so I would be distracted for a workout. I find it relaxing and a good delay between the gym and dinner. My gym does not have tanning but are rumored to get it someday. I have to go a few miles from the gym to get to mine. It makes more sense for me to go after for those reasons.

One thing i wonder in regards to tanning. How do the professionals get their lats tan? I mean I look like I was spray painted with a white line down between my lats and arms. This happens both from the pool and from the bed. I cannot get rid of that white streak. Do pros use Mystic or something versus UV?
    I move around to avoid getting that "racing stripe" down the sides of my body (roll over onto my sides)...I think that's what you're talking about, anyway. Also keeps you from getting that white line under your bum and having whiter spots on your pressure points (shoulderblades and low back). Because my face gets a lot more sun exposure than the rest of my body, I'll put a towel over it during a lot of my session.

BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLDERNECK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    oh I'm not offended, I appreciate any advice, but unfortuntaly a shortcut will have to do for now.

yes I was definitely planning on drinking lots of water before hand, but wasn't sure on any other side effects
    dont forget to hydrate your skin...and dont fall for those expensive lotions the cheap stuff works just fine...i do the mystic tan that tanning tears the hell out of your skin..i like it so far ,a girl at work came up to me and ask me if i had been to the beach...so i quess its working....goodluck with what your doing...hydrate.
    musclebuilding the way god intended it........naturally

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was never into tanning. Have a good farmer's tan going most of the year, that's about it.

Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started tanning a week ago, and the place I go has a one month and year long memberships. The membership allows you unlimtied tanning (minus the 24 hour time restriction) and what they call a 360 bed, Im guess thats the same as a high pressure. Now tanning can get expensive if yu get accelerents, or tanning aids. But check in to membership, a 1 year at my place is 250 a year. The standard beds are unlimited and the 360 bed is at a reduced rate and I like to mix it up myself, and besides I get to tan completely nekkid (Naked) and jam to some rockin music from my own CD/

Oh and what a person meant by hydrating yourself, they meant your skin not your body, and that means after you tan you should use a good lotion, if you have accelerants on wait 30 min after tanning, shower, and then lotion up.

I think my next thing is learning how to exfoliate my skin properly.
    Last edited by Darrett; 06-24-2008 at 09:09 AM.
    =====================================
    "The mirror, not the scale, is how you should measure your success." inspired by DBX after being spruced up a little.
    "Motivation is what gets you started - habit is what keeps you going." by getnfit4me

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=darrett

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    'Final Destination 3' kind of killed the whole idea of tanning beds for me.

sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sonicbnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have done both before and after workout, I prefer tanning before my workout, for two reasons 1. I am usually to tired and sore to do this after I workout 2. The heat from the bed helps me get a good sweat going even after drying off, if I get right into my workout I can usually keep the sweat going and if I am not sweating I just do not feel like I am working out hard enough. I am not sure if one is actually scientifically better than the other, but I will now look into it.

Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darrett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    LOL it cant happen that way if you really look in to it. There is no power setting in there and it would take hours to bake you like that, and there are lots of fail safes, like alarms, the beds are on timers, etc...
    "The mirror, not the scale, is how you should measure your success." inspired by DBX after being spruced up a little.
    "Motivation is what gets you started - habit is what keeps you going." by getnfit4me

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What happened in that movie?

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    What happened in that movie?
    2 chicks got roasted in tanning beds.

2 chicks got roasted in tanning beds.
    I figured it had to do with SOMEONE getting roasted in a tanning bed, but how? LOL Figured it had to be a more interesting story than she fell asleep, the bed never shut off, and none of the employees ever checked on her.

I figured it had to do with SOMEONE getting roasted in a tanning bed, but how? LOL Figured it had to be a more interesting story than she fell asleep, the bed never shut off, and none of the employees ever checked on her.
    short version is that is the 3rd movie in a series where someone has precognition and steps in and stops someone from dying or something and that even caused others not to die as a result and that was cheating death so one by one "bizarre accidents" happen to them.

In the case of the 2 chicks, some condensation fell on the power supply to the bed to Mercury level as in you would bake if you were that close to the sun and a shelf or somethings fell on the beds latches and locked them in so they couldnt escape and in like 15 minutes they were roasted char cinders, oh yea the attendant went outside for a phne call and the thing he used to prop the door squeezed out and locked him out...

These girls were litterly look like they had been in cremation oven for 4 hours, and got this way in 15 minutes..

Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
    short version is that is the 3rd movie in a series where someone has precognition and steps in and stops someone from dying or something and that even caused others not to die as a result and that was cheating death so one by one "bizarre accidents" happen to them.

In the case of the 2 chicks, some condensation fell on the power supply to the bed to Mercury level as in you would bake if you were that close to the sun and a shelf or somethings fell on the beds latches and locked them in so they couldnt escape and in like 15 minutes they were roasted char cinders, oh yea the attendant went outside for a phne call and the thing he used to prop the door squeezed out and locked him out...

These girls were litterly look like they had been in cremation oven for 4 hours, and got this way in 15 minutes..
    Eeeeeeeewww...that would totally suck. Think the people at my tanning salon would think I'm a freak if I insist they remove all shelves from their walls?

Sounds like an interesting storyline...gonna have to watch those movies one of these days (I have a hard time sitting and watching movies most of the time, though).

LOL it cant happen that way if you really look in to it. There is no power setting in there and it would take hours to bake you like that, and there are lots of fail safes, like alarms, the beds are on timers, etc...
    not taking any chances...first time for everything

not taking any chances...first time for everything
    You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening in Texas on clear day that be killed or even seriously injured by a tanning bed, but thats your call. A person that lives life in fear doesnt really live at all.

Eeeeeeeewww...that would totally suck. Think the people at my tanning salon would think I'm a freak if I insist they remove all shelves from their walls?

Sounds like an interesting storyline...gonna have to watch those movies one of these days (I have a hard time sitting and watching movies most of the time, though).
    no shelves in mine, just some stands and chairs and a CD player and a Fan, im so tall I have to special request a chair so I can get nakked properly and not fall all over the place

You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening in Texas on clear day that be killed or even seriously injured by a tanning bed, but thats your call. A person that lives life in fear doesnt really live at all.

you know I'm kidding, right?

Just not big into tanning, never have been. My German-Irish genetic makeup doesn't adapt to it well.

you know I'm kidding, right?

Just not big into tanning, never have been. My German-Irish genetic makeup doesn't adapt to it well.
    I understand that, I think its my cherokee DNA that allows me to tan and get dark. Its been a LONG time since I really got any kind of tan as I tried to avoid the sun. My lineage is actually.. (1/4) Cherokee Indian and (1/2) German, and the rest is Irish, Scottish and Dutch... yea im a heinz 57 LOL...

Didnt understand the kidding part, you reiterated that 3 times so I took it as canon for you, my apologies. Its in the other posts, I beleive Amanda mentions it. Somthing about it blocks something or rather so you dont burn, and la la this...

FYI, you will read they have high pressure beds just for those people like you that dont tan to well.
    Last edited by Darrett; 06-24-2008 at 10:25 AM.

I understand that, I think its my cherokee DNA that allows me to tan and get dark. Its been a LONG time since I really got any kind of tan as I tried to avoid the sun. My lineage is actually.. (1/4) Cherokee Indian and (1/2) German, and the rest is Irish, Scottish and Dutch... yea im a heinz 57 LOL...

Didnt understand the kidding part, you reiterated that 3 times so I took it as canon for you, my apologies. Its in the other posts, I beleive Amanda mentions it. Somthing about it blocks something or rather so you dont burn, and la la this...

FYI, you will read they have high pressure beds just for those people like you that dont tan to well.
    I'm combo Euromutt/Osage and Cherokee Indian. It does make for easy tanning! My sister ended up on the white end of the spectrum and would burn ridiculously easily when she was a kid...had to have prescription sunscreen, even, so I understand snoak being careful. But she can tan in a bed...you have to remember you have better control over exposure in a bed.

Just make note of which end the electrical cord is on in case you have to stick your hand out there to pull it out of the wall in case of a condensation/trapped under bookshelf kinda situation. LOL

Not to peer pressure you into coming over to the dark side, or anything...LOL

Didnt understand the kidding part, you reiterated that 3 times so I took it as canon for you, my apologies.
    all good brother! One thing I try hard to do is never take myself too seriously.

Just make note of which end the electrical cord is on in case you have to stick your hand out there to pull it out of the wall in case of a condensation/trapped under bookshelf kinda situation. LOL

funny stuff and a nice play on words

I've got fresh ink, so I'm not supposed to tan right now. Haven't even had my shirt off outside since I had it done, which kind of stinks because I like to do my heavy bag work "topless"

I'm combo Euromutt/Osage and Cherokee Indian. It does make for easy tanning! My sister ended up on the white end of the spectrum and would burn ridiculously easily when she was a kid...had to have prescription sunscreen, even, so I understand snoak being careful. But she can tan in a bed...you have to remember you have better control over exposure in a bed.

I came to the dark side already... tanning over a week now..using accelerents, etc, tanning lotion for the face, membership, 360 beds, I rather enjoy it. I swear every little change I make. First it was losing some weight, then it was my diet change, then it was exercising, diet change to clean whole foods, then adding more exercising, and now since I added the tanning bed and animal vitamins, etc... I Swear I feel like I am in my early 20's again and I want MORE AND MORE! I WANT AN 8 pack... but its going to take time and work but its okay, its my current obsession LOL.

Or make sure you have sledge hammer if you are worried getting trapped.

I came to the dark side already... tanning over a week now..using accelerents, etc, tanning lotion for the face, membership, 360 beds, I rather enjoy it. I swear every little change I make. First it was losing some weight, then it was my diet change, then it was exercising, diet change to clean whole foods, then adding more exercising, and now since I added the tanning bed and animal vitamins, etc... I Swear I feel like I am in my early 20's again and I want MORE AND MORE! I WANT AN 8 pack... but its going to take time and work but its okay, its my current obsession LOL.

I hear ya there!

Funny thing, I'm starting to get a LOT of looks and attention from the ladies...and we're not talking about the ones my age, we're talking 19-25 age range. Must be doing something right.

...makes the wife somewhat jealous...which works out quite well for me!
    Last edited by snoack; 06-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.

funny stuff and a nice play on words

I've got fresh ink, so I'm not supposed to tan right now. Haven't even had my shirt off outside since I had it done, which kind of stinks because I like to do my heavy bag work "topless"
    Yeah...probably better not cave to our peer pressure, then. LOL

That is awesome. It's a good obsession. And I'm sure they won't think anything more of me wandering in with a sledgehammer every day than if I demand they redo their decorating. Think I'll even be able to get enough swing to do anything to the bed?

I hear ya there!

Funny thing, I'm starting to get a LOT of looks and attention from the ladies...and we're not talking about the ones my age, we're talking 19-25 age range. Must be doing something right.

...makes the wife somewhat jealous...which works out quite well for me!
    I guess when you stop posting, we'll know the wifey has you locked up. LOL

That is awesome. It's a good obsession. And I'm sure they won't think anything more of me wandering in with a sledgehammer every day than if I demand they redo their decorating. Think I'll even be able to get enough swing to do anything to the bed?
    Well depending on the bed, you could swing a lot of things other than a sledge hammer, LOL

Yes thats what I tell people right now, of all things for me to have an obsession about, atleast this one is a healthy obsession.

I guess when you stop posting, we'll know the wifey has you locked up. LOL
    What if he's not married? LOL

okay asked some questions about tanning beds, especially concerning those that burn...

There are two types of UV lamps. one that bronzes you and the other one that exposes you and lets you produce Vitamin A and D, but they are also the ones that can burn you.

The high pressure beds have ONLY the UV Lamps that "bronze" you, so its ONLY cosmetic, if you try to use that and think you are resistant to the sun you wont be. However it does allow you maxium exposure time of 15 miutes without getting burned.

The other beds have different watts and styles to accomplish different things, the place I go rates the beds from level 1 to level 8. You have to build up resistances before you go to the other beds.

I do both.

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    Hi gang, just curious, I need to start tanning, but the only time I have available is around the same time I work out, and the tanning bed is already at the gym. I know it's not the best ideal to tan after working out, but I was wondering if anyone does this, and if so any problems, thanks in advance
    Try this. I have no time to tan or choose not to have the time. Self Tanners lasts 10 day -2 weeks works better and is cheaper than Clarins. I spent $18 on 8 ounces of DHA bulk- enough to make 1/2 to 1 gallon of tanner depending on the concentrations. I get compliments all the time. But practice putting it on. DHA is the only "approved" effective sunless tanner.

http://dihydroxyacetone.com/
    http://www.thesynergy.com/supplies/additives.htm#DHA

These two links are the ones I use. The people at Synergy Scents were very helpful in helping me "blend" my own tanner.
    I treat people with Melanoma all the day long. Save yourself the worry, expense and avoid the Sun except for 15 mins on your palms and face for vitamin D conversion.
    Last edited by greggamma; 06-25-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: addition

RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunningLinux is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'll offer a contrary opinion here: don't tan. There's no such thing as a healthy tan. There are no health benefits to tanning. A "healthy tan" is just as logical as a "safe cigarette". It doesn't exist. Or I should say, the only safe tan is using those artificial tanners.

Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Khodiak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    I always figured tanning after working out would be a good idea.

1) do the workout
    2) drink a PWO shake or get some carbs in somehow
    3) tan
    4) go home and eat a meal

seems the relaxing atmosphere of the tanning bed would help to get the recovery process started
    That is exactly what I do, I even take a nap for 20 mins while on the bed.

DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    hey everyone, thanks for all the responses