Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Percentage of eggs cholestrol HDL and LDL

I have a history of high cholestrol and its running through the family but last time I got it checked like a year ago he said it was almost borderline average but still a bit on the high side.

Well I wanna start eating more eggs but im worried eggs cholestrol is more LDL(bad) than the HDL(good) cholestrol

any input?
    current/ goals by christmas break
    bench - 155/185
    squat - 205/225
    deadlift - 305/385
    military press - 110/135
    bb row - 140/155
    shoulder press - 50/70

willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willldabeast is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if it runs in your family, it is a good idea to monitor it.

about 70% cholesterol is made in the liver, i would say some yolks wont hurt, but keep an eye on it

pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i also have a family history of high cholesterol. Mine used to be 197 and then i started eating about 8 whole eggs per day and it dropped to 171 while my LDL fell and my HDL increased.

Gives eggs a try and just get yourself checked in like 6 months and see what your numbers are.
    Permanently bulking

-I REP BACK-

Anti-Conventional Wisdom boxcarguy07's Avatar
    boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000) boxcarguy07 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Shawdowfox View Post
    I have a history of high cholestrol and its running through the family but last time I got it checked like a year ago he said it was almost borderline average but still a bit on the high side.

Well I wanna start eating more eggs but im worried eggs cholestrol is more LDL(bad) than the HDL(good) cholestrol

any input?
    I could be wrong on this, but I don't think foods contain HDL or LDL. That's just in your body. But then again, eggs are tiny chickens' bodies, so that's where I could be wrong.

I used to eat 6 jumbo eggs every day, and my doc told me I had the best cholesterol profile he's ever seen. And my mom has bad cholesterol. That's just my experience though.

Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I don't think foods contain HDL or LDL. That's just in your body. But then again, eggs are tiny chickens' bodies, so that's where I could be wrong.

I used to eat 6 jumbo eggs every day, and my doc told me I had the best cholesterol profile he's ever seen. And my mom has bad cholesterol. That's just my experience though.
    haha damn thats crazy. I wouldve thought 6 eggs a day would completely clog your arteries LOLOL

bump
    current/ goals by christmas break
    bench - 155/185
    squat - 205/225
    deadlift - 305/385
    military press - 110/135
    bb row - 140/155
    shoulder press - 50/70

My power is over 9000 RachelBringIt's Avatar
    RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000)
    haha damn thats crazy. I wouldve thought 6 eggs a day would completely clog your arteries LOLOL

bump
    search for 'the skinny on saturated fats' it was on here yesterday. It will help clear up a lot on LDL and HDL in natural saturated fats. Its processed fats you should avoid, I think eggs would be fine because they balance HDL and LDL in a way that they cancel each other out
    [Stickam Crǝw]

"A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing." - Albert Camus

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess it will take a while before people realize that this whole LDL/HDL issue is forced on us by the big pharm to sell their ineffective statin products
    HDL/LDL ratios is just a response by the body to much more serious underlying issues, such as trans fat oxidation, free radicals and inflammatory response.

Eat your eggs, they are the nature's perfect food, and laugh in the face of anyone who tells you to avoid them.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev View Post
    I guess it will take a while before people realize that this whole LDL/HDL issue is forced on us by the big pharm to sell their ineffective statin products
    HDL/LDL ratios is just a response by the body to much more serious underlying issues, such as trans fat oxidation, free radicals and inflammatory response.
    But then wouldn't HDL/LDL ratio be a useful way to monitor those other processes?
    No sir, I don't like it.

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    probably yes

but people get too fixated on improving and watching the ratio rather than dealing with the underlying problem

prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are numerous publication showing no correlation between egg consumption and high blood cholesterol levels.

Here are few...
    Effects of a low-energy diet associated with egg supplementation on plasma cholesterol and lipoprotein levels in normal subjects: results of a cross-over study.
    Lacombe CR, Corraze GR, Nibbelink MM, Boulze D, Douste-Blazy P, Camare R.
    UA 644 CNRS, Universit? Paul Sabatier, Institut de Physiologie, Toulouse, France.
    1. The influence of a low-energy diet when associated with high-cholesterol intake was investigated in seventeen normal men during an 8-week cross-over study. The subjects were given a daily supplement of two whole eggs and two egg yolks (approximately 1 g cholesterol) either with their usual diet for 4 weeks or with a low-energy diet for 4 weeks. Each subject took part randomly in both dietary periods. 2. During the first part of the study, no changes occurred in the plasma cholesterol of the subjects with egg supplementation of the usual diet. 3. In contrast, the low-energy diet and associated weight loss noticeably decreased tolerance to high-cholesterol intake resulting in increased plasma cholesterol. The mean rise was 22.7% but with wide individual variations in the response. This was almost completely normalized when the subjects returned to their usual energy intake indicating the involvement of weight reduction in the increase observed. 4. Changes in low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol were parallel to those of total plasma cholesterol with an increase following the low-energy diet and normalization after body-weight recovery. 5. The opposite effect was shown with the low-energy diet after previous adaptation to the consumption of four eggs per day. This dietary regimen resulted in a decrease in plasma cholesterol although it was not significant. Moreover, the lipoprotein profile was improved with a decrease in very-low-density-lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol and an increase in high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. 6. High-cholesterol intake induced significant changes in lipoprotein composition whatever the energy ration. LDL and HDL were enriched in cholesterol esters as early as the 1st month of egg supplementation of the diet. 7. Taken together, the results emphasize the possible adverse effect of slimming diets when associated with high-cholesterol intake. The existence of 'high-responders' to these dietary conditions calls for special attention to be paid to the cholesterol content of restricted diets.
    PMID: 3676232 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    A prospective study of egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women.
    Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, Rimm EB, Manson JE, Ascherio A, Colditz GA, Rosner BA, Spiegelman D, Speizer FE, Sacks FM, Hennekens CH, Willett WC.
    Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA. Frank.hu@channing.harvard.edu
    CONTEXT: Reduction in egg consumption has been widely recommended to lower blood cholesterol levels and prevent coronary heart disease (CHD). Epidemiologic studies on egg consumption and risk of CHD are sparse. OBJECTIVE: To examine the association between egg consumption and risk of CHD and stroke in men and women. DESIGN AND SETTING: Two prospective cohort studies, the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986-1994) and the Nurses' Health Study (1980-1994). PARTICIPANTS: A total of 37851 men aged 40 to 75 years at study outset and 80082 women aged 34 to 59 years at study outset, free of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, or cancer. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incident nonfatal myocardial infarction, fatal CHD, and stroke corresponding to daily egg consumption as determined by a food-frequency questionnaire. RESULTS: We documented 866 incident cases of CHD and 258 incident cases of stroke in men during 8 years of follow-up and 939 incident cases of CHD and 563 incident cases of stroke in women during 14 years of follow-up. After adjustment for age, smoking, and other potential CHD risk factors, we found no evidence of an overall significant association between egg consumption and risk of CHD or stroke in either men or women. The relative risks (RRs) of CHD across categories of intake were less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (1.06), 2 to 4 per week (1.12), 5 to 6 per week (0.90), and > or =1 per day (1.08) (P for trend = .75) for men; and less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (0.82), 2 to 4 per week (0.99), 5 to 6 per week (0.95), and > or =1 per day (0.82) (P for trend = .95) for women. In subgroup analyses, higher egg consumption appeared to be associated with increased risk of CHD only among diabetic subjects (RR of CHD comparing more than 1 egg per day with less than 1 egg per week among diabetic men, 2.02 [95% confidence interval, 1.05-3.87; P for trend = .04], and among diabetic women, 1.49 [0.88-2.52; P for trend = .008]). CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that consumption of up to 1 egg per day is unlikely to have substantial overall impact on the risk of CHD or stroke among healthy men and women. The apparent increased risk of CHD associated with higher egg consumption among diabetic participants warrants further research.

etc...

either way, you should eat your damn eggs, but make sure you have a balanced fat intake....1/3 coming from each polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and saturated fats. That alone will keep your blood lipid profile at check.

Cheers!

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by prag_1989 View Post
    1/3 coming from each polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and saturated fats.
    On what do you base this advice?

That alone will keep your blood lipid profile at check.
    Not necessarily.
    No sir, I don't like it.

baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

any input?
    You should consult your Dr. As far as the balance is concerned the fat in egg has a beneficial to neutral effect as far as balance of HDL and LDL is concerned. Keep in mind when saturated fats are reduced in the diet HDL is reduced as well. Plus when carbs are replaced with fats, triglycerides are lowered and HDL is increased, which is a good thing. Basically eggs are something that's important for keeping HDL and LDL balance healthy, or at least healthier for most of us.

eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000)

any input?
    Want to make certain you know HDL and LDL's exist only in ones bloodstream. The cholesterol you consume is simply that cholesterol. HDL or High Desnsity Lipid proteins are the carriers (if you will) of cholesterol coming out of the blood and LDL or Low Density Lipid proteins are what transport cholesterol into ones blood to feed muscles, cells etc.

Measuring these two lipids in the blood gives us the ratio of how much actual cholesterol is in our bloodstream.

eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev View Post

Eat your eggs, they are the nature's perfect food, and laugh in the face of anyone who tells you to avoid them.
    I hear what you are saying. Though, HDL/LDL ratio is a legitimate guage on cholesterol. You're are correct that watching cholesterol is not needed by everyone. High cholesterol is a risk factor for stroke and heart disease as is high blood pressure, high heart rate, inflammation, as well oxidation.

For some statins are a miracle drug, they do lower cholesterol for those who need them. Though, have recent heard from friends they were prescibed a statin with merely total cholesterol over 180. Although I am sure it will help lower their cholesterol and possibly thwart older age heart disease, that may be a bit over speculative on the doctors part...

prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) prag_1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    On what do you base this advice?
    Hmm... I base it on amazing properties each of these types of fat have. We could discuss that in detail, but we'll be missing the point of the topic, wouldn't we!?

Not necessarily.
    That's just something i'm witnessing in quite a few examples. There are, of course, other things affecting lipid profile(such as simple carbs ingestion, in example...)... There few nutritionists i've heard mention this fat brakedown to be favorable to blood lipid profile.

Originally Posted by prag_1989 View Post
    Hmm... I base it on amazing properties each of these types of fat have. We could discuss that in detail, but we'll be missing the point of the topic, wouldn't we!?

That's just something i'm witnessing in quite a few examples. There are, of course, other things affecting lipid profile(such as simple carbs ingestion, in example...)... There few nutritionists i've heard mention this fat brakedown to be favorable to blood lipid profile.
    A lipid panel is supposed to be done while a person is fasting, so that kills your carb theory. Although triglycerides are affected by over carb indulgence one would see that.

One more thing just how much of a large effect do you suppose the properties of each of these fats have. Please do indulge us with details, I think It is right on the topic.
    Last edited by eddiebo; 06-15-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Originally Posted by eddiebo View Post
    A lipid panel is supposed to be done while a person is fasting, so that kills your carb theory. Although triglycerides are affected by over carb indulgence one would see that.
    No it doesn't kill my "theory"! It doesn't have anything to do with acute, but rather with chronic simple carbs(sugars, corn syrups, etc..) consumption. Like you said, triglycerides are also affected. As well as most other general health factors.

I'm not sure anymore how important cholesterol actually is. It's mostly just a trick or should we say "a myth" so that pharmaceutical companies could sell their drugs. But that's already been said here.

Either way, ldl to hdl ratio is largely affected by the foods you eat. But also, the stress hormone levels have the vital effect on cholesterol levels...

I'd be more than glad to discuss health properties of fats in my next post!

LaMont. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was talking to my cousin about eggs the other day, and he gave me an interesting bit of trivia. A long time ago, alchemists considered the hard boiled egg to be the perfect food. To them, it was filled with nutrients, but it also kept its own chemistry in balance. For instance, the yolk of an egg has a lot of cholesterol in it, but the white of the egg has chemicals in it (I forget what they're called) that cancel the cholesterol out.

I'm no nutritionist, but if you wanted to eat more eggs and lower your cholesterol, you could just eat the egg whites.

Omega 3 fatty acids are known for many health benefits. Especially EPA and DHA. They are known to increase the insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, allow you to burn more fat via different mechanisms, while allowing you to add muscle at the same time.

Also, lower fat diets are shown to be unfavorable to your testosterone levels, as well as high carbohydrate diets, so having a high carb/low fat diets, actually leads to adrenal burnout.

While omega-6 polyunsaturated acids increase inflammation and risk of hear disease, omega-3 fatty acids do just the opposite.

Let me quote John Berardi for a moment here:
    Originally Posted by John M. Berardi, PhD
    In addition to reducing the atherosclerotic potential of the blood vessels, it's also important to balance out the ratios of LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and HDL cholesterol (the good kind), these ratios being highly associated with heart disease risk.

According to Cassandra Forsythe, a lipid researcher at the University of Connecticut, it's important to get about 30% of your daily energy from fat, but rather than eating any old fats, it's important to get your fat breakdown just right. In her opinion, the best blood lipid profile is obtained when saturated fatty acids make up 30% of total dietary fat, monounsaturated fatty acids make up 40% of total dietary fat, and polyunsaturated fatty acids make up 30% of total dietary fat. Think of this as "The Zone" of dietary fat.
    EPAand especially DHA are largely affecting cognitive function in young. Babies and children.

Flaxseed oil is known to contain essential fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid, and linoleic acid and it's a richest source of omega 3's. Though these don't convert to EPA in DHA in the body that much, they still contribute to antiinflammatory properties of this oil(polyunsaturated fats).

Monounasturates have both antiinflammatory and antioxitaditve properties, therefore decreasing risk of heart attacks. Here are two publications showing just that.
    Mataix, J. Tissue specific interactions of exercise, dietary fatty acids, and vitamin E in lipid peroxidation.
    Free Radic Biol Med. 1998; 24(4):511-21.
    Berry, E.M., et al. (1991). Effects of diets rich in monounsaturated fatty acids on plasma lipoproteins?the Jerusalem Nutrition Study: high MUFAs vs high PUFAs.
    Am J Clin Nutr. 53(4):899-907.

Here are some other publications you might find interesting to look at:

Berry, E.M., et al. (1991). Effects of diets rich in monounsaturated fatty acids on plasma lipoproteins?the Jerusalem Nutrition Study: high MUFAs vs high PUFAs.
    Am J Clin Nutr. 53(4):899-907.
    American Heart Association. (2002) AHA Scientific Statement: Fish Consumption, Fish Oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease, #71-0241 Circulation. 106, 2747-2757.
    Available from URL: http://www.americanheart.org
    Muskiet, F., et al. Is docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) essential? Lessons from DHA status regulation, our ancient diet, epidemiology and randomized clinical trials.
    J Nutr 2004; 134:183-186.

[QUOTE=prag_1989;179685661]I'm not sure anymore how important cholesterol actually is. It's mostly just a trick or should we say "a myth" so that pharmaceutical companies could sell their drugs. But that's already been said here.[QUOTE]

I am surprised you would feel the potential effects cholesterol is a myth. You seem to pablum puke quite a few articles and beliefs in posts above this one, I assume you take these words and ideas to heart blindly, so why are you specificaly suspicious of cholesterol and the pharmacutical industry. Perhaps the fish oil and and flax seed industry are behind a huge EFA scam, targeted at your pocket book. I believe cholesterol is as much of a risk factor as others, simply put, logically to me, higher levels in the blood can equal a higher rate of deposits on arterial walls given both natural accumulation and the other prerequisites that may cause quicker build-up (inflammation, constriction, oxidization etc.) to do so.

Also unless you are a medicine and/or biology student and have a grasp better than the medical and/or scientific community, might I suggest you add the clause 'in my opinion' to your repertoires. At best the average joes such as ourselves can do little more than logically wade through all the information put in front of us.
    Last edited by eddiebo; 06-16-2008 at 09:48 PM.

[QUOTE=eddiebo;180027601][QUOTE=prag_1989;179685661]I'm not sure anymore how important cholesterol actually is. It's mostly just a trick or should we say "a myth" so that pharmaceutical companies could sell their drugs. But that's already been said here.

I am surprised you would feel the potential effects cholesterol is a myth. You seem to pablum puke quite a few articles and beliefs in posts above this one, I assume you take these words and ideas to heart blindly, so why are you specificaly suspicious of cholesterol and the pharmacutical industry. Perhaps the fish oil and and flax seed industry are behind a huge EFA scam, targeted at your pocket book. I believe cholesterol is as much of a risk factor as others, simply put, logically to me, higher levels in the blood can equal a higher rate of deposits on arterial walls given both natural accumulation and the other prerequisites that may cause quicker build-up (inflammation, constriction, oxidization etc.) to do so.

Also unless you are a medicine and/or biology student and have a grasp better than the medical and/or scientific community, might I suggest you add the clause 'in my opinion' to your repertoires. At best the average joes such as ourselves can do little more than logically wade through all the information put in front of us.
    I really don't see where all this is coming from.

Not in a moment did i try to sound like an expert, or anything like that. My beliefs and claims are based on reading researches and publications, as well as stances that some authors represent(that are subjectively chosen by ME, which is normal, because i have a brain of my own )

The EFA might be a huge scam, but so is almost any supplement ad you might see... I mean i.e. all those glutamine ads make me puke. Anyhow, supplement industry is nowhere near to pharmaceutical industry - in terms of value. So while there is a possibility that EFA is a scam, there is so much greater possibility that cholesterol is a scam.

btw. if you've read my post more carefully you would've seen me stressing that it's hdl/ldl ratio that's important, not the total cholesterol levels.(also me putting it in a sense like "i'm not sure how cholesterol is important") but i guess you should already know that, and i don't want to sound like i'm trying to teach you something just to make myself look good.

Also, you might find it interesting to look at this book, for further reading about cholesterol(i myself have read some parts of it, but not the entire book). Again, i don't want to sound like i'm teaching, just changing knowledge and experiences, that's all.

"The Cholesterol Myths." - By Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

I could c/p an article i found from the author, called "why cholesterol is good for you".