Closed Thread
Page 161 of 265 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 211 261 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,830 of 7937
    sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    I think I've pulled a muscle. I was doing overhead presses 3 days ago and all of a sudden I had a sharp pain at the end of my tricep, say, an inch before my elbow bone. It was painful, but not too bad, so I continued with the presses.

Then today, I did my squats. Fine. Then bench presses. 45lbx5 for first warmup, fine. Then 65x4, fine. Then 85x3, and I felt it. I felt the pain when the bar was coming down, almost near my chest, and then when I pushed it up. Again, it was painful, but not extremely painful. But this time, I skipped the exercise.

Any idea what might've happened, and what I should do about it?
    Bump. ANd in addition, the EXACT location of the pain can be found like this: put your left index finger on your right elbow, and keep your fingers together. The pinkie finger is where the pain is.

shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skinnyboy23 View Post
    thanks for your response,

i have gained about 15-20lbs since july, however, i didn't start rippetoes til august, so i would say 10-15 lbs on Rippetoes. (started at about 130lbs and am now 142-144lbs)

I reset my squat once before, but i didn't know about resets at this point so i didn't know i was actually doing anything involved with the program. the reason i did this reset though was because my diet and rest/recovery was all over the place... so i don't know if i should look at this at a real reset.

my lifts currently are as followed: (all 3x5, of course)
    squat 150lbs
    deadlift 130lbs (still increasing lbs easily)
    rows 70lbs (rows are still increasing lbs easily)
    bench 105lbs (tried 110lbs today but it didn't work very well, don't think it was cause of rest or diet though)
    military press 60lbs ( this exercise is a pain in the ass for me, my shoulders just won't get stronger... i've been stuck at 60 for weeks! i've reset it once maybe twice.)

I'm going into week 12 this week and am gonna try to perfect my diet and keep a good eye on 9 hours of sleep (8 doesn't seem enough for me anymore)

i was going to just keep all weight the same for this week 12 (not change any weight on any exercises til week 13), along with good diet and rest... and then start week 13 with normal progression and see if i make progress. if i do, i was going to keep progressing weight til i stalled and tried another reset or two.

mate, i would really try see if your diet is in check. even if you started squatting using the bar for worksets in workout 1, only adding 2.5lbs a workout to the squat you would be squatting as much as you are now. eat more quality foods, you should definitely still be able to add 5lbs per workout to squat. sounds like you arent eating enough seeing as ur press wont go past 60. if you eat it will go up.

TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    Bump. ANd in addition, the EXACT location of the pain can be found like this: put your left index finger on your right elbow, and keep your fingers together. The pinkie finger is where the pain is.
    It's REALLY hard to diagnose stuff like this over the internet, but it sounds like the location where I got tendonitis.

For me, it was caused by improper squat form which put too much stress on my elbows, and then aggravated when I did presses (OH and bench). I widened my grip a little, concentrated on keeping my wrists straight, and focused on supporting the weight with my back, not my arms. Ibuprofen and friction massage also helped my recovery.

Obviously it could be something else and only a doctor could give you real advice, so YMMV.
    "A word to the wise isn't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." --Bill Cosby

skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    How much weight did you gain over the last two weeks or so before you started stalling? Rest?

It shouldnt be too hard to add weight when squatting 150 pounds.

Have you got your diet and rest under control for a period of time yet/recently?
    Originally Posted by shaodw View Post
    mate, i would really try see if your diet is in check. even if you started squatting using the bar for worksets in workout 1, only adding 2.5lbs a workout to the squat you would be squatting as much as you are now. eat more quality foods, you should definitely still be able to add 5lbs per workout to squat. sounds like you arent eating enough seeing as ur press wont go past 60. if you eat it will go up.
    well, i eat really healthy actually. it's all homemade, good fats, and all that good stuff. i think micro nutrients are all pretty even.

and that's what i did. the last two weeks i've been working on checking my diet in place, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm at the point where I think my calorie intake isn't enough for this programs needed workout to workout progression... right now i'm eating 200 calories above maintenance, 2500 calories. is this enough? or is it to low and maybe that's why i'm having problems?

and i have no idea how much weight i gained before i stalled. i can guesstimate about 2-4lbs.
    Anything worth having takes everything worth giving

sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TDWagner View Post
    It's REALLY hard to diagnose stuff like this over the internet, but it sounds like the location where I got tendonitis.

For me, it was caused by improper squat form which put too much stress on my elbows, and then aggravated when I did presses (OH and bench). I widened my grip a little, concentrated on keeping my wrists straight, and focused on supporting the weight with my back, not my arms. Ibuprofen and friction massage also helped my recovery.

Obviously it could be something else and only a doctor could give you real advice, so YMMV.
    Tendonitis? Ekh.
    I think my squat form, at least when it comes to bar placement and wrist position, is solid. I'm always actively thinking about my wrist when I go under the bar.

Thanks for the advise. I'll take an extra day off (today) and hit the gym tomorrow, and take ibuprofen for 3-4 days. In any case, I have an appointment with my doctor in 4 days.

StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StephenAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well, i eat really healthy actually. it's all homemade, good fats, and all that good stuff. i think micro nutrients are all pretty even.

right now i'm eating 200 calories above maintenance, 2500 calories. is this enough? or is it to low and maybe that's why i'm having problems?
    You could be given the title for the healthiest eater in the world and it wouldn't matter because you aren't eating enough calories, so no matter how clean your diet is it sucks. 200 calories over maintenance is way too low. You should be looking at 500-1000 + depending on how much of a hard gainer you are.
    Last edited by StephenAU; 11-03-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone think I could use these to micro load?

http://www.fitnesszone.com/Merchant2...ing_collar.jpg

I can't locate any place that sells anything less than 1.25kg plates so I was thinking of maybe using these springs, 1 on each side for 1 workout then adding the 1.25kg plates the workout after? Hopefully 2 of these would weigh roughly 1kg?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Wootywadwad View Post

I can't locate any place that sells anything less than 1.25kg plates so I was thinking of maybe using these springs, 1 on each side for 1 workout then adding the 1.25kg plates the workout after? Hopefully 2 of these would weigh roughly 1kg?
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fractionals.php

Every so often, they'll offer a slightly scratched set for $25 on ebay as well. These go down to 1/4 lb.

I own a set and would recommend them.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wootywadwad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fractionals.php

Every so often, they'll offer a slightly scratched set for $25 on ebay as well. These go down to 1/4 lb.

I own a set and would recommend them.
    Problem is I don't have a credit card and my mum's cards are through the roof with debt, so buying online isn't an option. But those look oh so good

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...croloading.htm
    Cheap and honestly, cool. Whenever I use these people look at me I always get a 'wtf' stare from a few people.

TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDWagner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I really like the washers I got from McMaster-Carr. If you can't order online, you might be able to find them at a local hardware store.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...6&pagenum=3153
    "A word to the wise isn't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." --Bill Cosby

bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TDWagner View Post
    I really like the washers I got from McMaster-Carr. If you can't order online, you might be able to find them at a local hardware store.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...6&pagenum=3153
    Those are about a pound, right? Have you weighed them?

Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Those are about a pound, right? Have you weighed them?
    Two of them are about 1.25 lbs. I use two on each side to bring my presses up in 2.5 lb jumps.

I did weigh them and they're not exact (a couple ounces light if I remember correctly)....certainly close enough for my purposes.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    have been using an extra set of spring collars and some chain links
    I can get from .75 lb to 2lb easily by adding chain links to the spring collar
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

and that's what i did. the last two weeks i've been working on checking my diet in place, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm at the point where I think my calorie intake isn't enough for this programs needed workout to workout progression... right now i'm eating 200 calories above maintenance, 2500 calories. is this enough? or is it to low and maybe that's why i'm having problems?

and i have no idea how much weight i gained before i stalled. i can guesstimate about 2-4lbs.
    You weigh 145 pounds. I'd say you need to eat more.

And how do you know that 200 calories is over maint? That is a very small margin for error when figuring how many calories you burn per day.

Are you gaining weight every week?

67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 67629 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

If you're at the point at which your current calorie intake is not enough to progress workout to workout, the obvious solution is to eat more.

Diet is so critical to the success of this program and once you begin eating more you will realize this, because your lifts will begin to progress again. NEVER undereat. Aim at getting at least 500 calories above maintenance. Multiply your bodyweight by 15 and add 500 to get a rough estimate. Weigh yourself every week or two and see if you're gaining. If not, add more calories. Kudos on eating clean, though. You just need to eat more of that good stuff.
    5x5 Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113343951
    ---
    Starting Strength Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111238821

Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brosekiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Have you tried doing GOMAD? I would highly recommend it for any "hard gainers". Everyone I know that has been on this program has had good success...but the ones who did GOMAD had far better results. If your stomach has problems with that much milk, start out with a half gallon and work your way up to GOMAD.

Registered Douche Bag Jay_Dubya's Avatar
    Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jay_Dubya is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Front/Zercher Squats

Hey I got a quick question and I didn't want to start a whole new thread.
    I have NO free weight squat rack at my "gym" so I was using the Smith Machine for a while until I found out that it's easy to injure yourself on it. Now I'm thinking Front Squats or Zercher Squats might be the way to go. I've tried both and I think I like zercher squats more becuase it feels like they work the arms alittle.
    How significantly will using these squats impact my overall progress and size/strength gains?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jay_Dubya View Post
    I have NO free weight squat rack at my "gym" so I was using the Smith Machine for a while until I found out that it's easy to injure yourself on it. Now I'm thinking Front Squats or Zercher Squats might be the way to go. I've tried both and I think I like zercher squats more becuase it feels like they work the arms alittle.
    How significantly will using these squats impact my overall progress and size/strength gains?
    Back squats are a must. Or else its a different program. With less than optimal results.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jay_Dubya View Post
    If you can't do a free weight BB back squat there, it does not deserve to be called a gym.

And you can't do this program (or many others) without back squats. Sorry, there jsut isn't a direct full substitute.

skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinnyboy23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You weigh 145 pounds. I'd say you need to eat more.

And how do you know that 200 calories is over maint? That is a very small margin for error when figuring how many calories you burn per day.

Are you gaining weight every week?
    i've been gaining about 1lb a week. and yeah, i guess i have not been factoring in the amount of calories i'm burning. i kinda just stuck with 200 above what a calorie calc. told me is maintenance, because a few people on here told me that 200 above maintenance is a healthy amount.

Originally Posted by 67629 View Post
    If you're at the point at which your current calorie intake is not enough to progress workout to workout, the obvious solution is to eat more.

Diet is so critical to the success of this program and once you begin eating more you will realize this, because your lifts will begin to progress again. NEVER undereat. Aim at getting at least 500 calories above maintenance. Multiply your bodyweight by 15 and add 500 to get a rough estimate. Weigh yourself every week or two and see if you're gaining. If not, add more calories. Kudos on eating clean, though. You just need to eat more of that good stuff.
    that rough estimate formula put me at about 2700 calories daily... which is 200 more than what i have been doing. after reading all of yall's advice, i think this will be the answer. i always thought i was under eating, but i wanted to do a really slow clean bulk, so that i could make sure i don't gain a bunch of fat. i guess i need to throw that attitude away though, right? ha.

anyway, i'm going to give 2700 calories daily a shot and see what happens. thanks for the help everyone. reps.
    Last edited by skinnyboy23; 11-07-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Originally Posted by Brosekiah View Post
    Have you tried doing GOMAD? I would highly recommend it for any "hard gainers". Everyone I know that has been on this program has had good success...but the ones who did GOMAD had far better results. If your stomach has problems with that much milk, start out with a half gallon and work your way up to GOMAD.
    I already drink 4 cups a day of milk, dunno how close that is to a gallon, but i think i'll probably stick with less milk. just because milk has so much fat, ya know?

not a bad idea though, thanks.

Laughs like Santa Clause Gordon Bombay's Avatar
    Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000) Gordon Bombay is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been working out for almost a year now and I've seen only minimal gains. I have a thick back and calves but I lack an inner chest, shoulder and arm definition, and quad definition. Essentially, I should have at least 20lb more lean muscle mass then I have currently. In fact, I can barely tell I even have shoulder and tricep muscles because there's a layer of fat covering both. This is why I plan on starting Rippetoes on Monday, mainly to increase my bench and squat to where they should be, but also to pack on some serious and much needed mass.

I have a decent strength base on going into Rippetoes, 370lb rack pull (below knees), 205lb squat (knees and lack of interest has kept this low), 60lb dumbbells overhead press for 8 reps, 135lbs pendlay row with strict form and chinups with 3 sets with 4-6 reps with 20lbs + bw.

Do you think I should concentrate on the big 5 only, or am I 'advanced' enough to incorporate barbell curls, dips, chins, and skullcrushers?
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring."
    -Sagan

DFW Crew
    Mad Text Game Crew

I already drink 4 cups a day of milk, dunno how close that is to a gallon, but i think i'll probably stick with less milk. just because milk has so much fat, ya know?

not a bad idea though, thanks.
    4 cups is about a quart.

Despite it's reputation, dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Too many calories makes you fat. Try not to be too afraid of dietary fat while on a bulk...it's good for your hormones and it's calorie dense (you can eat fewer grams and still make your calorie requirement).

I'd recommend moving up to a half gallon of WHOLE milk a day, that will take care of the extra calories you need to add to your diet to maintain progression. If you find you're gaining TOO much weight per week, you can always throttle it back down.

Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay View Post
    Do you think I should concentrate on the big 5 only, or am I 'advanced' enough to incorporate barbell curls, dips, chins, and skullcrushers?
    The best way to tell if you're too 'advanced' for SS is to try it out. Back up from your 5RM and then add weight every workout as laid out in the program. Chances are you'll bust through your current 5RM and pack on that extra muscle you want (provided you EAT EAT EAT!!!) If you can't keep adding weight every workout, then you're too advanced and need to move on to a slower progression scheme. Curls, dips, and skullcrushers are more likely to overload you and hamper recovery then help you out, but that's just my opinion.

FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000)
    how many of you guys actually count calories?

for those of you that don't, how do you guys plan your weightgaining? do you aim for like +1 pound/week?

i don't want to count calories, but at the same time i don't wanna go overboard and put on a lot of fat.

Originally Posted by FROGGBUSTER View Post
    how many of you guys actually count calories?

for those of you that don't, how do you guys plan your weightgaining? do you aim for like +1 pound/week?

i don't want to count calories, but at the same time i don't wanna go overboard and put on a lot of fat.
    I'm hit and miss on counting (lack of discipline). I'll usually count for a few weeks, then quit counting for a few weeks, repeat. It's just SO hard to accurately estimate your calories. If you can be consistant with your diet and eat the same amounts of the same foods all the time, then with experience it gets easier to estimate.

As long as I gain 1-3 lbs. per week I'm happy, if I fall outside that range I know something needs adjusted.

I'd recommend everyone count for at least a few weeks, just so you know where you stand. Getting enough protein is particularly important.

lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lfsquathelp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Was supposed to post this awhile ago, here it is anyway another squat video

Could you please tell me what's wrong with it and if you can rate it out of 10. 10 being the best of a NOVICE not some guy who's been doing it for 10 years. just want to get a feel for how bad it is. ty

http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=Mysquat.flv

steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100) steelhorse1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    hey guys
    I have a friend who I was buying my bodybuilder.com suppliment through his site an I would like you to know how greedy they are!! He sold 10,000.00 dollars worth of there product in a month to people like us.. and they are not going to pay him his commission.. They say he did not advertise correctly. So they are not going to pay him..So I for one will not buy from there product!!!I will buy there competiters product..who's with me

blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wut

Closed Thread
Page 161 of 265 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 211 261 ... LastLast