science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sore back during power clean & power snatch

Hey guys, so I started Olympic lifting 2 weeks ago after coming off of the rippetoe program. I've started learning the power clean & power snatch but it's hard to focus on my form when my lower back is sore (It's muscular fatigue, not a slipped disc or anything).
    Should this be happening if I'm driving with my legs? My coach has told me several times that my hips are rising way too fast for my shoulder to catch up, is this the cause of the problem?

Cheers

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like your coach may be right. Also if your back is rounding it will cause extra soreness.

Of course you have to take your whole routine into account to see what is really wearing out your back.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by science.boi View Post
    Hey guys, so I started Olympic lifting 2 weeks ago after coming off of the rippetoe program. I've started learning the power clean & power snatch but it's hard to focus on my form when my lower back is sore (It's muscular fatigue, not a slipped disc or anything).
    Should this be happening if I'm driving with my legs? My coach has told me several times that my hips are rising way too fast for my shoulder to catch up, is this the cause of the problem?

Cheers
    That's how I used to DL and squat. Hips coming up first. Also used to have lots of back DOMS.

Now, when I do oly pulls, hips and bar start rising at the same time. I pull kind of slowly at first but gradually accelerate the bar and then explode/shrug when it's slightly above the knees. That explosion is supposed to come from a hip extension -- however, you can't do that if you're SLDL'ing the bar into position.

If you're doing this in your oly pulls, you're probably doing this with your squats too. Focus hard on your squat form, make sure you maintain an upright trunk and your head doesn't start rising after your hips. Focus on the same thing with your pulls.
    gympunk - "Thank God my wife hasn't ever been bothered by cum shooting around."

no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) no_one089 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I believe your coach is probably right also as another poster suggested rounding your back could be an issue.

science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So does everyone think of the first part of the squats/power cleans/power snatches as a leg press while squeezing your glutes?