Thread: Lifting Hooks

GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lifting Hooks

I have read some information in other parts of the forum, but I was wondering if any in this group used lifting hooks?

My weights on both deadlifts and shrugs is getting to the point where I can't maintain the grip. I know I could work both my back and traps better if I didn't lose the grip.

I saw some lifting hooks in the cyber store that I was thinking of getting.
    "Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why not use lifting straps. A few here oppose them, I know, but for those last few heavy sets they work for me. I use them to prevent the burn I feel in my forearms, which takes away from my ability to focus on my back.
    Keep it real ;)

TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000) TwoWalks is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think that there are times when lifting straps or hooks can be a great safety aid. I also do not feel that they are wrong to use.

You do get into an area of apples and oranges with their use. 1. apples: yes you will be able to hold heavier weights and aid the back and traps. 2. you will not develop greater grip strength or forearm strength because of the use.

At some point if you ever decide to enter a competition your lifts will suffer as a result or if you forget the straps you sacrifice the day.

Choices - sooooo many choices
    Question is: are you really going to mind if you hit your goals without puking 3 times a week?
    by Daniel Roberts

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A far better idea is to work on boosting your grip strength. Farmer's Walks are one good way to do it.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO do your deads til you can't grip the bar then use the straps or hooks.

GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GLAlexander has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for all of the feedback. After some more research I have decided to go with the lifting hooks.

I understand that ideally I would just build up my grip strength, but at this time I think I would like to optimize my back and trap workouts sooner. I also don't have any plans to enter any type of lifting competition.

I may try to go with the recommendation Crowler gave concerning using the hooks only after grip exhaustion. I will order the hooks in the next few days and give everyone some feedback after I have used them.
    "Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always used the straps when I used to do heavy deadlifts. My wrists are only 5.5" and I worried about injuring them. Plus, I think it allows you to focus more on the back when it's not killing your wrists. I've never seen the hooks -- sounds like the same concept.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brother Phil has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I only use the lifting straps in moderation myself. I only use them on lat pull downs, which seem to cause my forearms to burn on heavier sets, and I'm not as able to concentrate as well on lat contraction. The reason I like using lifting straps is I can adjust the amount of support I give to my grip, depending on how much slack I leave around my wrists. I think the use of any grip supporting device does not eliminate the need of doing grip strengthening exercises. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the hooks, while also working on grip strengthening exercises.
    Keep it real ;)

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hooks are right out. Straps are a crutch that give you temporary help at the cost of allowing your grip strength to remain where it is while the rest of your body strength eventually runs away from it. Chalk will give you plenty of traction without letting your forearms go on vacation.

Work on improving that grip strength.

If you lift in a gym that frowns on the liberal use of chalk - then it's time to find a new gym.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000) Macattack is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think the straps are causing problem with one of my thumb joints its been hurting alot after using them so throwing them out and going to try either Grizzly grips or hooks, or just less weight maybe....

http://1-workoutdelivery.com/Equipme...bbers_page.htm
    Work in progress...

"Insane in the membrane, got no brains gone insane"

" Its all the petroleum products, thats why i make no sense"

"Cry now, smile later:)

Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Belle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Brother Phil
    Why not use lifting straps. A few here oppose them, I know, but for those last few heavy sets they work for me. I use them to prevent the burn I feel in my forearms, which takes away from my ability to focus on my back.
    Can't you do anything to strengthen the forearms and the hands? I notice not a lot of people do any weights for the forearms in particular or the wrists and the grip. If all muscle groups progressed at the same time, you would never come across this problem to my mind as everything would become stronger and there wouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Belle; 03-19-2003 at 01:44 AM.
    ~*Belle*~

www.ironfreaksforum.com/forum