19yrs, 5'10", 195lbs powerhouse283's Avatar
    powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lightbulb switching phase for smolov

So i started it this wed, cuz i waited til monday to max, and wednesday i did 3 sets of 10 on legpress, explosive, got up to 4 plates on each side, nothing too heavy though, then didnt have my belt with me and squatted 135x10 fast, 225x3x10 fast, which didnt go that fast because i'm used to the belt, should I use the best when doing real light work?

and how often should i work legs on the switching phase? i was planning on working out tomorrow, i didnt know what i was gonna do though.. mabye HEAVY squat negatives with like 405? cuz my max is 385.

What else should I do tomorrow? and how often should i workout for the rest of this week and next week?

thanks in advance.. and ill give people reps (dont know how they really work) but i know how to click the little rep button lol

19yrs, 5'10", 195lbs powerhouse283's Avatar
    powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerhouse283 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GmG-II has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im just finsihing the switching phase this week, the whole point of it is speed so i wouldent use a belt if it makes the set go slow or just use lighter weights.

i worked the lower body every other day and started with some vertical jumps, then i did speed squats of squat jumps with weight, then some leg press work still working on speed
    .pain is temporary pride is forever.
    bench 330
    deadlift 506
    440lbs squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OOPABp1Y8

my loony bun is fine mr. strength's Avatar
    mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000)
    honestly, i wouldnt use the belt at all for anything light, ever, in fact i dont even use a belt myself, and as for how often, the program pretty much has u starting off with MWF in the beginning, then MWFS for the base mesocycle, then after the switching phase its MWS, so i would just go with something along those lines, MWF sounds good to me

Im doing smolov myself, but i dont know much, all i know is for the switching phase you should do explosive work and plyometrics. Im planning on doing a basic plyometrics program myself when the switching phase comes up

it sounds like you are on the right track with explosive leg press, and squats, just dont forget stuff like jumps, hops, deep squat jumps, etc
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #22 -!!!---!!!-

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by powerhouse283 View Post
    So i started it this wed, cuz i waited til monday to max, and wednesday i did 3 sets of 10 on legpress, explosive, got up to 4 plates on each side, nothing too heavy though, then didnt have my belt with me and squatted 135x10 fast, 225x3x10 fast, which didnt go that fast because i'm used to the belt, should I use the best when doing real light work?

and how often should i work legs on the switching phase? i was planning on working out tomorrow, i didnt know what i was gonna do though.. mabye HEAVY squat negatives with like 405? cuz my max is 385.

What else should I do tomorrow? and how often should i workout for the rest of this week and next week?

thanks in advance.. and ill give people reps (dont know how they really work) but i know how to click the little rep button lol
    The negatives are a good idea. I cut the heavy sets completely out during switching and regretted in once the intense started.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000) mr. strength is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    The negatives are a good idea. I cut the heavy sets completely out during switching and regretted in once the intense started.
    tell me more, the program says to do all speed work, do u mean that because u didnt squat heavy at all, u lost strength or something?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mr. strength View Post
    tell me more, the program says to do all speed work, do u mean that because u didnt squat heavy at all, u lost strength or something?
    It might be different for everyone, but if I don't squat for a while I lose the "groove". I only did box squats, speed DLs and power cleans for switching.

If I could do it again, I would def have done negatives, and maybe worked up to to a heavy set of 5 once a week.

It might be different for everyone, but if I don't squat for a while I lose the "groove". I only did box squats, speed DLs and power cleans for switching.

If I could do it again, I would def have done negatives, and maybe worked up to to a heavy set of 5 once a week.
    i see what u mean now, i'll follow your advice on this

btw for negatives, just set the safety pins at the right height and squat down and purposely "fail"? i can see that looking funny though, lol

but if thats what i do for negatives, then what would the rep scheme look like?

Originally Posted by mr. strength View Post
    i see what u mean now, i'll follow your advice on this

btw for negatives, just set the safety pins at the right height and squat down and purposely "fail"? i can see that looking funny though, lol

but if thats what i do for negatives, then what would the rep scheme look like?
    You'd fail extremely slow though. Make sure everything is tight and then very slowly squat to the pins, fighting the resistance all the way.

Its kinda a pain in the ass by yourself though. You'll do one rep, and have to pull all the weight off the bar. Put the bar pack up and repeat. I would do more than one set of 5 w/ a weight that's more than your 1RM.

So maybe Monday do box squats.
    Wednesday a set of negatives then power cleans
    Friday speed DLs (or box squats again)

Something like that.

You'd fail extremely slow though. Make sure everything is tight and then very slowly squat to the pins, fighting the resistance all the way.

Its kinda a pain in the ass by yourself though. You'll do one rep, and have to pull all the weight off the bar. Put the bar pack up and repeat. I would do more than one set of 5 w/ a weight that's more than your 1RM.

So maybe Monday do box squats.
    Wednesday a set of negatives then power cleans
    Friday speed DLs (or box squats again)

Something like that.

cool, ill be sure to add that to whatever plyometrics program i can find