BPriesmeyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Losing More than 2lbs a week safe?

Hey folks - I have been overweight most of my life. I'm not going to go into too much history, but about 6 months ago I was ~300lbs. I am now approaching 230lbs thanks to some diet and exercise over that 6 months. However, it's summer, and I want to finish off a good majority of the rest of it over the next 3 months. My concern is, I am burning probably over 4000 calories on a workout day (with basal, and general movement etc.). I dont think that 4000 calories takes into account the supplements.

However, I take in only maybe 1000-1500 calories per day, that leaves ~2500 calories deficit in ONE DAY. That's nearly a pound in calories in one day, and I'm working out 5 times a week. Even If I don't workout I burn over 3000, leaving a deficit of 1500-2000. In a given week, that amounts to about an average of 2000 deficit per day, 7 days a week is 10500-14000 calories / 3500 calories is about 3-4lbs per week!

My first thought that comes to mind is starving myself. I immediately thought that. But heres the problem: I feel satisfied all throughout the day with my diet. If I am hungry I WILL EAT. I never make myself full, however I will eat until I am no longer hungry. Of course, I also am drinking tons of water (1.5-2.0 gallons per day).

So is this too much? Should I eat more even though im not hungry? Below are some stats about myself, along with a photo of an example diet, eaten spread out throughout the day.

Current weight: 231 lbs.
    Height: 5' 10"

Supplements:
    EC Stack
    Lean Xtreme
    Green Magnitude Creatine
    Purple Wraath BCAA's
    Orange Triad Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Attached Images

Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From experience, I lose between 1-3lb per week, I lost 3lb on a week when I ran 3 times, and lost 2lb on a week I ran 6 times. Your body kinda decides how much it wants to lose.

If you lose more than that, great imo.
    07/01/2008 - 18 Stone 0lb+
    15/10/2008 - 12 Stone 7lb

Teen Transformation of the Week
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/sammy_el_tawil.htm

Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    From experience, I lose between 1-3lb per week, I lost 3lb on a week when I ran 3 times, and lost 2lb on a week I ran 6 times. Your body kinda decides how much it wants to lose.

If you lose more than that, great imo.
    Everyone just seems to suggest that more than 2lbs a week is more bad than good, and your losing more muscle, which of course muscle fights fat. But thanks for the post lets see if everyone else has common experiences like this.

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BPriesmeyer View Post
    Everyone just seems to suggest that more than 2lbs a week is more bad than good, and your losing more muscle, which of course muscle fights fat. But thanks for the post lets see if everyone else has common experiences like this.
    I think that only matters on how fat you are. I don't think you body will eat at your muscles if you around 50-100 lbs over weight, right away, so initially big weight loss isn't a big deal. I could be wrong but this is what i've gathered. So far 1 1/2 week into my system i've dropped 11 lbs. I believe some of this is water weight. I also radically changed my diet.

injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i prefer to cut weight fast its tedious as hell losing 1 pound a week

i go for 3-5 pounds a week you can always gain strength back later and what not

ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by injured44 View Post
    i prefer to cut weight fast its tedious as hell losing 1 pound a week

i go for 3-5 pounds a week you can always gain strength back later and what not
    I agree.

what you doing for food and exercise is fine BPriesmeyer. If you can handle it. I have done similar calorie intake.
    Two recommendations at that calorie intake though. Make sure you are getting enough protein to spare muscle and eat some veggies to get your macronutrients.
    Oh, and don't binge when you are done - CLEAN bulk the very same day you get to your goal weight!

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the bigger you are, the easier it is to lose allot more pounds per week...
    "Current trades: Shorting fat, going long on muscle"

just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) just-a-kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've lost 4 pounds or so in 4 or 5 days. I lost 7 pounds a couple weeks ago but I guess I gained some of that back lol.

MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Im in the same situation, im losing about 3 lbs a week and at this rate i would reach my goal by the end of the summer, but im worried the smaller i get the more unhealthy it can be.
    Weight progression:

May 21 2008 - 255 lbs

May 21 2009 - 215 lbs

May 21 2010 - 235 lbs

May 21 2011 - 245 lbs

Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500) Wherestherackat is not very helpful. (-500)
    A ketogenic diet would help alot. You're just slowing your metabolism starving yourself. You're not METABOLISING anything... You have to eat to lose weight. 1-2lbs is fat. Anything over that would be hard earned muscle.

Originally Posted by Wherestherackat View Post
    A ketogenic diet would help alot. You're just slowing your metabolism starving yourself. You're not METABOLISING anything... You have to eat to lose weight. 1-2lbs is fat. Anything over that would be hard earned muscle.
    Again, read what I said I feel satisfied all day, and everything I eat is spread out.

muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50) muladesigns will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

Originally Posted by Wherestherackat View Post
    Ive heard that as well.
    I went from 208 to 197. now down to 194. my goal is 190. I try not to loose to much to quick. I notice if I do, My muscles look more flat and I feel that it cuts to much size.
    guess it depends on what your goal is. if you just want to loose weight or if you want to keep and enlarge size while loosing weight.
    if its the later i would say no more then 2 lbs per week.
    Going to the gym and lifting heavy weights is the easy part. Nutrition. now thats where the hard work starts.

steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_nm156 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your concerned with bf% then you have to track it to ensure you're not losing more muscle than you want to. If you can lose more than 2 lbs a week and feel good doing it, then I see no problem with it.

The only concern I had for your diet is that almost half of it comes from protein shakes and protein bars. I'd suggest replacing at least one if not both protein bars with real food unless your schedule doesn't allow you to easily do this.

Great job! Good luck going forward
    May 1, 2009 - 215 & 10% bodyfat - Goal!

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll be OK man, make sure you're getting enough protein, get your vitamins and minerals through fibrous veggies and a daily multivitamin, and get your fats from EFAs like fish oil. Basically you're stripping it down to the bare essentials at that calorie intake.

The amount of excess weight will determine how long you stay on this type of diet.

In 2004 I lost 100lbs in 9 months doing a similar diet to yours, then spent 3 years basically maintaining a weight but leaning down and building muscle. Now I'm back on a restrictive diet, Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss plan to drop what's hopefully my last 30lbs and it's coming off like mad. I've dropped 8lbs in 11 days. I know some of it is water but on this diet, it's not uncommon for people to actually burn 1/2-3/4lb of pure fat per day.

Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Samm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BPriesmeyer View Post
    Well I weighed myself today (suppose to be Monday)...

I'm 5lb lighter from last monday, but by Monday, it will be maybe 1-2lb as I ate a lot of food yesterday (was Dad's birthday).
    07/01/2008 - 18 Stone 0lb+
    15/10/2008 - 12 Stone 7lb

Teen Transformation of the Week
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/sammy_el_tawil.htm

Registered User noodlejoodle578's Avatar
    noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noodlejoodle578 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Losing at such a rate will hinder your progress:

* Large deficit, likely to slow metab and lead you nowhere other than cut energy intake further to push progress;
    * Loss of lean tissue
    * Malnutrition - can lead to hair loss (VERY common with 'diets.')
    * When you finish, you will likely gain fat if you don't raise your Kcal properly
    * Chances of fulling off the wagon greater - and increased fat storage when you do
    * Stress, anxiety etc over a 'major starvation.' Not worth it!

Now, instead, follow an 'insulin balance anti-age lifestyle,' that is, follow a paleolithic diet, train with weights 2-3x per week and make sure you keep active cardo wise. There is no need to count calories, provided you genuinely listen to your body (and eat as it was designed to be fed.) You will progress very quickly, and before you know it, be lean!