Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500)

Rotator cuff training is a key to strength

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench_press_workout.htm
    1. Work your Rotator Cuff muscles

Yes, this is completely unglamorous but it has the potential to add 20 to 30 pounds to your bench press in a matter of weeks. The reason? The Rotator Cuff muscles are the four small muscles that stabilize the humerus (your upper arm bone) in the shoulder socket.

Most people rarely, if EVER, work the Rotator Cuff but a couple of sets at the end of each workout can really make a HUGE difference in your bench press by helping to stabilize the shoulder joint.

The exercise that I use is one I call the "3 In 1 Rotator Cuff Raise." It's an exercise I invented to work all 3 major planes of movement that the Rotator Cuff muscles operate in in one basic movement. It's very effective and very time-efficient. Two sets of 8 reps of this at the end of each workout is all you need. I have a video and pics of this exercise at the link at the bottom of the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff
    Shows some pics on how to do the exercises.

Strengthening the rotator cuff allows for increased loads in a variety of exercises. When weightlifters are unable to increase the weight they can lift on a pushing exercise (such as the bench press or military press) for an extended period of time, strengthening the rotator cuff can often allow them to begin making gains again. It also prevents future injuries to the glenohumeral joint, balancing the often-dominant internal rotators with stronger external rotators. Finally, exercising the rotator cuff can lead to improved posture, as without exercise to the external rotator, the internal rotators can see a shortening, leading to tightness. This often manifests itself as rounded shoulders in the population.

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-blowout.htm
    When bench pressing it essential to have stability and strength in the shoulder. The four relatively small muscles predominantly responsible for stabilizing the shoulder - teres minor, infraspinatous, supraspinatous and sucscapularous - are known collectively as the 'rotator cuff'. When these muscles contract they pull on the rotator cuff tendon, causing the shoulder to rotate. While bench pressing you may experience some rotator or shoulder pain, during part of the movement. This is likely due to weak muscles in this area. Weak muscles are often but not always the cause of rotator cuff impingement syndrome and associated rotator cuff tears. If you have the rotator cuff strength of a little girl, your body has no choice but to limit the amount of weight you can stabilize and move to prevent injury. It's not uncommon to see an individual break through a bench press sticking point simply by incorporating direct rotator cuff training.

OK maybe now I have your attention. So how do you make sure your rotator cuff isn't the weak link in your bench press? Or even more importantly how will you prevent a bench press blowout where you damage the rotator cuff? Like we discussed you need to strengthen the muscles, so let's take a look at this workout routine. Remember if you already have an injury you should not use this routine as a rehab program but rather visit a sports medicine physician. If you want to prevent a future injury and break past a bench press sticking point then follow this routine twice a week. If you're not in pain now, that's an even better reason to follow my advice. Trust me if you have a nagging injury you're not going to be growing or getting any stronger. Train smart, so that you can hit the weight hard when you do bench.

The first thing you need to do is stretch the muscles you are about to train. Make sure you have warmed up for a good five minutes on the bike or treadmill before you start stretching. This will help you acquire greater flexibility. You already know stretching is important so just do it. You don't need any equipment for this stretch. You can do it one arm at a time or with both arms at the same time. Extend your arms out from the torso at a right angle. Now bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle. Place your forearms on the frame of the doorway and lean forward. You will feel the stretch in your pecs and the back of your shoulders. Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds. Next I want you to hang from a pull up bar for 20-30 seconds. This isn't a grip strength test so no you don't have to hang on for the full 30 seconds.

Cuban Press Rotation

Shows pic so click the link.

Grab an EZ Curl bar and perform a wide grip upright row until the bar is a few inches below your collar bone. Now keep your elbows stationary while you externally rotate the bar as if you were trying to tap your forehead. Next you will press the bar overhead. Lower the weight along the same plane and repeat for ten reps. You will not be able to use the same weight you use for standard overhead presses due to the external rotation. This exercise won't build your ego right now, but you'll be thanking me when your bench press increases.

Cable External Rotation

Shows pic.

Raise the pulley until it is even with your elbow. You'll be standing sideways next to the weight stack so if your right hand is holding the handle, your left foot should be closest to the weight stack. Grasp the cable attachment with your far arm while keeping your elbow close to your side and forearm across your stomach. Your palm should be facing in. Pull cable attachment away from body by externally rotating your shoulder. Return and repeat. Turn around and continue with opposite arm.

Cable Internal Rotation

Again raise the pulley until it is even with elbow. You'll be standing sideways next to the weight stack but this time if your right hand is holding the handle your right foot should be closest to the weight stack. Grasp the cable attachment with the closest arm. Keep your elbow close to your side with your palm facing in. Pull the cable attachment across your body by internally rotating your shoulder. Return and repeat. Turn around and continue with opposite arm.

90-Degree Dumbbell External Rotation

To finish off the infraspinatus, hold a dumbbell in each hand, and perform a lateral raise to 90-degrees while keeping the elbows bent at 90-degrees. Once your upper arms are parallel to the floor, externally rotate your arm so that your forearms are perpendicular to the floor. It will look like starting point of a dumbbell military press. Now lower and repeat. Remember to use light weight. The infraspinatus is a tiny muscle so it can't handle a heavy load. The shoulder horn is a great piece of equipment that keeps your arms in place while you perform this motion.

Do three sets of ten repetitions for each exercise. Perform the routine once a week in conjunction with your current workout. This is important so listen up. The last thing you want to do is pre-exhaust your rotator cuff before training the bench press. Never do this workout prior to a heavy bench press or shoulders session or you run an even greater risk of aggravating the area. You can give these exercises a try at the end of your workout, but be sure you always give your rotator cuff muscles 48-hours rest after a workout before training chest or shoulders.

Points To Remember:

* The muscles of the rotator cuff are very small. Even if you're pushing five bills on the bench press you'll still be using five-pound dumbbells for many rotator cuff exercises. So leave your ego at the door!

* Avoid lat pulldowns and military presses behind the head as they place the shoulder in a poor biomechanical position which enourages impingement.

* Training your rotator cuff muscles can help you avoid pain, prevent future injuries, and fix muscular imbalances.

* It's not uncommon for a trainee to add 20+ pounds to their bench press simply by strengthening the rotator cuff muscles.

* Never perform a rotator cuff routine prior to bench pressing or overhead pressing movements.

* If you feel serious pain in your shoulder it may be too late. Go see a sports medicine physician.

We all know people who were really into bodybuilding/powerlifting and looked forward to bench pressing only to eventually drop out after a few years of hardcore training. Why? In many cases nagging injuries especially those of the shoulder, simply took the fun out of it. This doesn't have to happen to you so you're ahead of the game. The best thing you can do to keep your shoulders healthy, and make sure your bench press continues to improve is strengthen your rotator cuff muscles so that they will never be your weakest link! After all your bench press will be going nowhere fast if you're injured.

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Amen, along with lowering my training intensities, really putting an emphasis on fixing my bum shoulder seems to make everything feel so much lighter. I remember whenever I used to go over 225 my left side would shut down a bit to protect itself and it started feeling heavy, now I can barely feel it in my hands.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Steve943 View Post

Yes, this is completely unglamorous but it has the potential to add 20 to 30 pounds to your bench press in a matter of weeks.
    shenanigans

StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000) StrongInChrist is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Newtime View Post
    shenanigans
    Newtime calls shenanigans so shenanigans it is

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    make your shoulders flexible enough to do snatches and to hold the bar like this:

and you won't have to do another shoulder rehab move ever again
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

.Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    make your shoulders flexible enough to do snatches and to hold the bar like this:

lol isn't that roidrage?
    O-lifting log with vids of from every session:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=268870061#post268870061

^Need all the help I can get.

SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by .Goku. View Post
    lol isn't that roidrage?
    yeh, i did that stretch today after my shoulder workout

Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by .Goku. View Post
    lol isn't that roidrage?
    I just watched his punched in the head video. lulz
    Consistency

strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    thanks for that

freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post

I used to do 50 reps a night of that stretch and, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with my shoulders since then.
    APT Sponsored Strongman

oonungwa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe I have a rotator cuff impingement.Should I suspend all upper body training until it feels 100%?I have a four day workout split as well...

Monday-Legs
    Tuesday-Back and Biceps
    Wed-Rest
    Thur-Chest adn Tris
    Fri-Shoulder

Considering my condition,should I replace my traditional shoulder routine with your cuff exercises?Do you know of any good warm-ups for the shoulder and upper body in general?Thanks.

TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheLulz69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very useful.

Deserved bump!