Closed Thread
    WOLVERINE1000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Iron pumping before breakfast - empty stomach lifting

They say cardio, first thing in the morning, right after you wake up, on an empty stomach, is the best way to burn fat.

My question is - what about weight lifting, first thing in the morning, right after you wake up, on an empty stomach? Would that not burn a lot of fat as well? Or will that cause too much muscle loss?

Lemme know what you all think.

Lightweight Baby!!! footbag_man's Avatar
    footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) footbag_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WOLVERINE1000 View Post
    They say cardio, first thing in the morning, right after you wake up, on an empty stomach, is the best way to burn fat.

My question is - what about weight lifting, first thing in the morning, right after you wake up, on an empty stomach? Would that not burn a lot of fat as well? Or will that cause too much muscle loss?

I know Jay Cutler trains before breakfast first ting in the more, at like 5-6am

I tried to do it and felt like a wet paper bag... no energy... left my weight session early... if you have the energy to do it ,then yes it does help with fat loss
    My Ultima-Bol Supplement / Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136362971

Thank you. Sounds good.

Any other opinions on this?

noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10) noahklop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah dont train w/o some food in your system or else you will be using muscle, especially w/ your body b/c you dont have a whole lot of fat. Pre-breakfast cardio is more for overweight/obese people trying to lose weight. Trust me cardio on an empty stomach is a bad idea and you will be using muscle as an energy source b/c I did a cut while doing this and i ended up losing as much muscle as i did fat. Its a myth.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not the wisest thing to do if LBM retention and high energy workouts are priorities.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50) paycheck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've done it but at that point my main goal was weight loss/fat loss. The thing that you need to be careful of is your diet. Your diet pretty much has to be on par since if you skip out on cals your gonna be hungry come lifting time. the other thing is that you are gonna have to make sure you get up early. What I mean is gt up before you get hungry so again your not starving while lifting. And coffee helps. I did make some gains in strength but that wasn't my concern at that point, and did gain some muscle. However it wsnt significant.

Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steven_Tran87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was working at this restaurant that I had to be there by nine so I woke up early trying to workout... didn't lift as hard.

MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MondoPest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by footbag_man View Post
    ...I tried to do it and felt like a wet paper bag... no energy... left my weight session early... if you have the energy to do it ,then yes it does help with fat loss
    Agreed, personally I just can't get the energy levels up to where I like them with before breakfast training. I need some nutritional fuel first.

I thank you all for your insights. I've never been a fan of the first thing in the morning, no breakfast cardio / weight lifting. It appears that I'm in good company. You're all impressive looking so you must be doing something right.

So I wanted to ask this question. What do you all think of having a nice big breakfast, say...

4 egg whites
    4 pieces of bacon
    .05 to 1 cup of rice
    2 to 3 big glasses of water, then wait about an hour, then hit the gym hard.

ORRRRRR

I've heard because your metabolism is slowest at night, sometimes it's really good to hit the weights at night time, have 1-2 meals, then hit the hay. Sometimes I've done that and I looked SHREDDED the next morning.

The help and advice was, and continues to be, greatly appreciated.

||| WOLVERINE |||

mscl_rckr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pre or Post-workout cardio, that is the question!

This thread answered a few doubts! Was about to change my schedule at work so I can do cardio in the morn and weights in the afternoon.

So what do you guys/gals think, for better fat loss/muscle retention, pre or post-workout cardio? And, 20 or 30min, 5 or 3 x's a week?

Right now doing 20-30min (depending on schedule) and pre-workout...
    Last edited by mscl_rckr; 06-12-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    Everything does harm if abused. Just have control and all will be fine.

trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trojan_ruybal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This may help I have read that doing your workout before eating causies you to burn fat as energy but I am not sure it may be possible for some of your muslce to be burned too. I am not too sure you will have to research this

Originally Posted by mscl_rckr View Post
    This thread answered a few doubts! Was about to change my schedule at work so I can do cardio in the morn and weights in the afternoon.

So what do you guys/gals think, for better fat loss/muscle retention, pre or post-workout cardio? And, 20 or 30min, 5 or 3 x's a week?

Right now doing 20-30min (depending on schedule) and pre-workout...
    Cardio - do it post workout for about 15-25 minutes. If you wanna cut quickly, do 5 days a week. If that's not your priority, do 3.

So just a question.

Should I do weights after breakfast, in the morning, in order to get the juices flowing for the rest of the day?

Or is weight lifting better at night, because that's when the metabolism is at its slowest?

magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) magiata93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

u have to train ur body to do that, but i do it and it works great, **** i got some of my PRs in the morning, but what i do is wake up take a shower (to really wake up) drink protein shake and eat something small like a banana mayb 2 and then go workout.
    And im sure that Jay Cuttler doesn't workout on an empty stomach, i saw his movie and he was drinking protein shakes before that.
    May 1-May 28-June 19-July 10- August 24
    Bench: 145x5-155-175-185-205
    Squat: 185x5-205-245-285-315
    Dead Lift: 185x5-205-205-225-300
    Push Press: 95-135-145-155-185
    Power Clean 185

Weight:
    May 1- 182 (start of bulk)
    May 28- 185
    June 19-195
    June 24- 205
    July 10- 205
    July 30- 217
    August 15- 217 (end of bulk)
    August 24- 207 (start of cut)
    September 1- 203

Height- 5-11"
    Age- 15

My Journal-> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=202160021&posted=1#post202160021

Originally Posted by magiata93 View Post
    u have to train ur body to do that, but i do it and it works great, **** i got some of my PRs in the morning, but what i do is wake up take a shower (to really wake up) drink protein shake and eat something small like a banana mayb 2 and then go workout.
    And im sure that Jay Cuttler doesn't workout on an empty stomach, i saw his movie and he was drinking protein shakes before that.
    Sounds good. What do you mean by "got some of my PRs in the morning?" Not sure what you mean by PRs. I appreciate the advice, thank you!

iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamjason82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Isn't Jay Cutler a diabetic. Not eating before a workout would be a REALLY bad idea if that were the case. Pretty sure he would eat something prior to his workout.

So is weight lifting better after a nice big breakfast, or better towards the evening, or...?

shaneo11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been lifting around 4am and I am only taking NO Xplode before I lift and then a protein shake and some oats after I lift. Is this wrong for trying to build muscle? Am I just burning fat and muscle instead of building muscle?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shaneo11 View Post
    I have been lifting around 4am and I am only taking NO Xplode before I lift and then a protein shake and some oats after I lift. Is this wrong for trying to build muscle? Am I just burning fat and muscle instead of building muscle?
    No this is fine. I also wake up, take a stim and train. If you have a casein
    shake or something slow burning right before bed, you don't wake up starving.

Also, what alot of people are forgetting is that after 8 hours of sleep, its not like your body is in starvation mode where you're burning muscle for energy.

If that's what time you have to train, its fine.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

Agreed.

But what's better? Weight lifting in the morning, after breakfast, or weight lifting at night?

USMC Wife & Iron Eater CarolinaGurl's Avatar
    CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10)

the rule of thumb I have always used...

is that you make the best gains splitting your workouts. If you are looking to lose fat then you do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then lift later in the afternoon and evening after you have eaten a couple times during the day.

If you seriously want to build muscle then you need to be eating about an hour or so before you train and then again immeidately afterwards as well. And make sure you get a good nights sleep which is essential to building nice thick healthy muscle.

Make sure that you have a good carb in the meal following your workout too and do not wait to eat post workout. If it means you have to take a dry shake in a bottle with you to the gym with a combo of whey protein and rolled oats powder along with a couple of Omega3 capsules for your good fat, add water and eat it on the way home from the gym.

Then you can have a good protein heavy meal later and you will fall right into step with gaining and maintaining healthy muscle. A my husband says its not rocket science... now cutting, thats a WHOLE other food drama *lol* been there done that not fun.

Or you can take my trainers joking advice... "eat everything in site and lift as heavy and as hard as you can everytime your in the gym" *lol* that may work for boys.... but us girls would be eating chocolate and ice cream not exactly what he had in mind.

Now go get big boys!! ~CG
    There is only do or not do...... there is no "try". And since the word try means to "sample" and I have no intention of just "sampling" life.

Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew2886 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally.. I don't think it matters, and is all a matter of preference. My preference is to wake up, eat a banana, take my Vasocharge, and then get to the gym. I lift and do about 30mins of Cardio. Then I get home, have my first protein shake, and eat usual breakfast. I don't like the "just ate" feeling when I'm at the gym. I have to either eat after working out, or at least an hour or hour and a half before.

I always felt like I got the most out of my workouts when they were in the morning, because it raised my energy levels the entire day, while I'm awake and active. When I get stuck and have to get into the gym at night, I feel like the energy I get from working out is wasted since I'm going to bed in a few hours anyway.
    Ars Gratia Artis

beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50) beencake will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hurr

lifting with depleted glycogen stores is dumb. good way to loose hard earned muscle. your glycogen should be mostly depleted in the morning unless you carbed up before bed, witch you should never do.

if your trying to promote for fat loss id eat atleast some carbs before i lifted maybe not alot

MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarcusAgrippa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by beencake View Post
    lifting with depleted glycogen stores is dumb. good way to loose hard earned muscle. your glycogen should be mostly depleted in the morning unless you carbed up before bed, witch you should never do.

if your trying to promote for fat loss id eat atleast some carbs before i lifted maybe not alot
    Glycogen doesnt deplete overnight, you have to use your muscles to deplete it...

I train fasted every Saturday morning and don't get any ill effects. I take some BCAAs before hand to negate any catabolic effects.
    My intermittent fasting and compound lifting journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142983033

Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fairfax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    100g oatmeal mixed in with a protein shake can be drunk about as quick as the protein shake alone. You can have it by the bed ready to mix and down as soon as your alarm goes off and be good to go in the gym an hour later. Some orange juice and coffee while you're getting dressed doesn't hurt either.

SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SoapQueen87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've thought about doing the AM workout because of my tight schedule. I didn't want to lose any muscle and I'm not going to have time to eat an hour before lifting. When I train after work, I barely have time to do anything from schoolwork, cooking, cleaning, etc. As long as I eat after my workout I shouldn't lose muscle, right???

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SoapQueen87 View Post
    I've thought about doing the AM workout because of my tight schedule. I didn't want to lose any muscle and I'm not going to have time to eat an hour before lifting. When I train after work, I barely have time to do anything from schoolwork, cooking, cleaning, etc. As long as I eat after my workout I shouldn't lose muscle, right???
    Eat something light beforehand, that should help a lot. I typically have an apple or banana before a hard workout and it makes a world of difference for me personally. If I'm doing a really hard workout, I'll bake a potato in the microwave.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

NO............just...........no.

None of this was true back when this thread was posted, and it's still false, 8 years later.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733