Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Tao of Iron wild1poet2's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Age: 59
    Stats: 1'0", 191 lbs
    Posts: 777
    BodyPoints: 3916
    Rep Power: 67
    wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit wild1poet2's BodySpace
    wild1poet2 is offline

    How much caffeine in green tea extracts ?

    Does anyone know how much caffeine is in green tea extracts? In general.

    For example, I have a bottle with 500mg green tea extract capsules that are 98% polyphenols. It is safe to assume that the caffeine content could not exceed 2% ?? In other words, 98% polyphenol plus 2% caffeine.

    I know that a brewed cup of green tea can contain between 30 to 50 mg of caffeine.

    Thanks in advance.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Monster Hunter obmas's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'6", 172 lbs
    Posts: 6,959
    BodyPoints: 40
    Rep Power: 16393
    obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) obmas has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit obmas's BodySpace
    obmas is offline
    Is that by any chance the NOW green tea extracts?

    It's going to be a little bit more caffeine than 2%. The amount of EGCG, catechins, polyphenols, and caffeine, dont usually add up to 100% so you can't assume the difference is the amount of caffeine that is in it. For example, it could be 98% Total Polyphenols, 80% Total Catechins, and 50% EGCg. I think most brands are standardized to 10-15% caffeine. It's going to vary from brand to brand though.
    Last edited by obmas; 06-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Misc Photography Crew

    Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D, Canon EOS XSi/450D (full spectrum modified w/ Hoya R72 filter)
    tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, MP-E 65mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4.0
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Tao of Iron wild1poet2's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Age: 59
    Stats: 1'0", 191 lbs
    Posts: 777
    BodyPoints: 3916
    Rep Power: 67
    wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) wild1poet2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit wild1poet2's BodySpace
    wild1poet2 is offline
    Originally Posted by obmas View Post
    Is that by any chance the NOW green tea extracts?

    It's going to be a little bit more caffeine than 2%. The amount of EGCG, catechins, polyphenols, and caffeine, dont usually add up to 100% so you can't assume the difference is the amount of caffeine that is in it. For example, it could be 98% Total Polyphenols, 80% Total Catechins, and 50% EGCg. I think most brands are standardized to 10-15% caffeine. It's going to vary from brand to brand though.
    Actually my logic would still hold in your example because EGCG as I understand it is a catechin, and catechins are polyphenols. Hence, if in your example a dose is 500mg, you would have 490mg of polyphenols. Included in that 490mg would be 400mg of catechins, and in those catechins would be 250mg of EGCG.

    So it's all part of the 98% and I assume the other 2% must include caffeine. Which gets back to your 10mg of caffeine assuming a 500mg dose. Maybe some fluoride too. Of course the percents could all be hokey to begin with. LOL
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    nevigsawkufelgnisaton in10city's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 24,703
    BodyPoints: 7900
    Rep Power: 33878
    in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit in10city's BodySpace
    in10city is offline
    Originally Posted by wild1poet2 View Post
    Actually my logic would still hold in your example because EGCG as I understand it is a catechin, and catechins are polyphenols. Hence, if in your example a dose is 500mg, you would have 490mg of polyphenols. Included in that 490mg would be 400mg of catechins, and in those catechins would be 250mg of EGCG.

    So it's all part of the 98% and I assume the other 2% must include caffeine. Which gets back to your 10mg of caffeine assuming a 500mg dose. Maybe some fluoride too. Of course the percents could all be hokey to begin with. LOL
    I've seen quite a range of amounts, up to 35mg but the standardization wasn't as high.

    This happens to be TP's I believe.
    Standardized to contain >98% polyphenols, 75% catechin, 45% EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) and 3% naturally occuring caffeine
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Geordie Boot Boy Robboe's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: Newcastle, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 15,516
    BodyPoints: 8053
    Rep Power: 18244
    Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Robboe has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Robboe's BodySpace
    Robboe is offline
    Originally Posted by wild1poet2 View Post
    I know that a brewed cup of green tea can contain between 30 to 50 mg of caffeine.
    It'll probably be the same for the extract, depending upon how much you take. I would guess (based somewhat on knowledge, but mostly on user experience) that the average dose of the average green tea extract product givesno more than 50mg of caffeine. But at the same time, the theanine in the tea is meant to be relaxing, so can oppose the effects somewhat.
    www.GetDS.com

    Get DS in Europe!!:
    www.drivensports.co.uk

    Join DS on Facebook and Twitter for EXCLUSIVE info and promotions!!

    http://www.facebook.com/DrivenSports
    http://twitter.com/drivensports

    Craze :: New & Improved Activate Xtreme :: Triazole :: Lean Xtreme

    Craze: Performance Fuel -- The Uprising Has Begun
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout