Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Is walking as good as running?

Im wondering if walking about 3.5mph is as good as jogging 5mph? I always jog for 12minutes at 5mph and that equals a 1mile. Is walking the mile about as good? Im wanting to give my knees a rest. By the way...I use a treadmill..
    Thanks

Onomatopoeia == good buzz bhaputi's Avatar
    bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Define "as good as." What results are you looking for?

For weight loss, probably just as good, but will take longer.
    For building endurance, not nearly as good.
    For increasing running speed, not nearly as good.

Seeking my inner Amazon NotTooLate's Avatar
    NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000) NotTooLate is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are going the same distance walking or running you burn more calories walking but if you're walking or running for a set time period instead of distance then you'll burn more calories running.
    Here's an article from WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/1/3079_883
    Bodybuilding: striving to defeat your own demons and overcome self imposed limitations.

Martial arts: the ideal rhythm of a movement is manifested as powerful grace.

Sang H. Kim Ph. D.

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you can create a situation on your treadmill that allows you to get your heart into your particular zone and hold it for the correct number of minutes then in my opinion it would be the same.

The problem is the heart addapts very quick and it takes more work to get it into the zone so you might have to be creative to get the correct number of beats out of the old ticker.

If baldy-one-kanobie were still here he would tell you to get a sled.
    HuH?

WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WizardGlick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Following with what Chipman said, if you apply HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to your walking routine you will burn quite a bit of calories. 2 minutes regular pace, 1 minute fast pace, 1-2 minutes regular pace, 1 minute fast pace ..... you get the idea. My wife and I have been doing this to good results.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    With the thought in mind that you want to give your knees a rest......My ladyfriend had trouble walking up stairs a couple of years ago. I got her on Knox Joint Formula(Walmart or your local food store) and 8 grams of fish oil a day. SWe also use DMSO in a cream or liquid spray. Now every day she does cambinations of light weisghts, yoga and/or walking daily. The Knox Joint Formula does not work over night, sometimes it may ba couple of months befor you see and feel it working

Do not let anyone talk out of doing the walking, it is very important to overall health, which is what this body building and exercise is really all about.

Getting younger every day ProfBush's Avatar
    ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chuckg1961 View Post
    Following with what Chipman said, if you apply HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to your walking routine you will burn quite a bit of calories. 2 minutes regular pace, 1 minute fast pace, 1-2 minutes regular pace, 1 minute fast pace ..... you get the idea. My wife and I have been doing this to good results.
    I do something similar walking on the treadmill. I start out warming up to get my heart rate up to 85% of max (I use the grips on the treadmill periodically to measure my HR) for my age. I then increase the incline to 12% and walk uphill to get my HR to where I am just touching, or close to, my age max (163) for one minute. I drop the incline and let my HR slow for two minutes and then repeat. I do seven cycles of this and finish out 20 minutes at 85%. This is pretty consistent with the Tabata protocol and I can feel myself putting out heat for hours afterwards. I've read that one HIIT session boosts your metabolism for up to 48 hours.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bhaputi View Post
    Define "as good as." What results are you looking for?

For weight loss, probably just as good, but will take longer.
    For building endurance, not nearly as good.
    For increasing running speed, not nearly as good.
    Other options - for heart health - as good as (at least according to my cardiologist).

For "soul" health - better than.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tech141 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Using the Incline option is the key. If you are like me, you are wanting to fight the "Fat Creep" that's sneaking up on you. Use the incline to keep your heartbeat in the Fat Burning Zone and keep it there for 45 mins for a great work out.

Sorry for the assumptions, but you never stated your goal....
    Havin' fun on the run.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep......... He Waits.

Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000) Barry Bonds is a name known to all. (+5000)

Walk or Run

Don't jog. Too hard on the joints.

If you're over 35, I say don't run on concrete under any circumstances, unless its for your life! Stairs are a definite no-no.

Grass or a good track is the only place to run.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Other options - for heart health - as good as (at least according to my cardiologist).

Agreed, and I'll add one

For joint health- immeasurably better than running
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    For joint health- immeasurably better than running
    I disagree. This is one of those myths that will just not die. For some people it is bad, for some it is fine, and for some it is actually healthy for their joints. It is just like lifting in that sense.
    As long as you have good shoes and listen to your body I think almost anyone that has no issues with joints to start off with will do just fine.

Just curious, but what do you mean by that?

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what do you mean by that?
    Walking outdoors is a tonic for the senses. It involves smelling, seeing, and hearing everything around you. You're forced to go slow enough to do that. Walking is meditation. You have a chance to really think and sort things out mentally. Walking is non-threatening. You don't have to dread it, or worry about your wind, sweat, pulse levels; walking is indeed the workout that is not a workout, yet strengthens the lungs, circulation, muscles, and bones. Walking can be done at any age. It's fun. It's thought provoking. It makes me sing or hum.

I did my share of running in the past. Others will argue that the advantages I cite above may be obtained from running but this is not my experience, which is the only gauge I can go on. Ralph Waldo Emerson: "To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, --that is genius" ("Self Reliance"). Well I'm no genius, but I recognize the truth in what I say above about walking for the soul.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Walking outdoors is a tonic for the senses. It involves smelling, seeing, and hearing everything around you. You're forced to go slow enough to do that. Walking is meditation. You have a chance to really think and sort things out mentally. Walking is non-threatening. You don't have to dread it, or worry about your wind, sweat, pulse levels; walking is indeed the workout that is not a workout, yet strengthens the lungs, circulation, muscles, and bones. Walking can be done at any age. It's fun. It's thought provoking. It makes me sing or hum.

I did my share of running in the past. Others will argue that the advantages I cite above may be obtained from running but this is not my experience, which is the only gauge I can go on. Ralph Waldo Emerson: "To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, --that is genius" ("Self Reliance"). Well I'm no genius, but I recognize the truth in what I say above about walking for the soul.
    Ah, ok - that makes sense then My wife and I take the kids out for several walks a week for this same reason.

I personally, however, do find the same result from my long runs - my short runs are run too hard for me to pay attention, but my long runs are run in such a way that I can still look around and notice what is going on around me. They are, literally, one of the things that keep me sane

Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mountain_Goat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You want to burn fat or increase endurance and make your heart healthier?

Fat burning the best cardio is slow. I can tell you this from articles here on bb.com and from personal experience.
    3MPH 45minutes to 1 hour is the ideal fat burner.

For endurance and cardio vascular health jogging/interval training...things along those lines that get your heart rate up are best.
    My OV35 workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128303161

Jeep Rubicon=Hummer Recovery Vehicle

Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For me, I need to incorporate slow to moderate cardio and a type of cardio that puts a good strain on my lungs.

For low to moderate cardio I use the elliptical machines for 30-45 minutes if I need to shed fat. Plus, the elliptical is easy on my joints.

If I need to make my lungs stronger running a mile or doing some sort of aerobic exercise does not suit me very well. So I do swimming. Swimming strengthens my joints, doesn't damage my joints like a stomping type exercise will, but is tough on my lungs. Strong lungs is one of the thing's I was missing for my first show because I incorporated mostly low to moderate intensity elliptical training which did not strengthen my lungs enough.

Another thing strong lungs enable me to do is lift & pose harder.

Incorporating a mix of different heart beat ranges gives me the best results.
    Last edited by Joe Go; 06-02-2008 at 12:21 PM.

jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am anti-jogging even with the best shoes on the market due to the high levels of shock impact to the joints of the body to include the lower back.

I am a supporter of walking/speed walking and running 3/4-full stride. These forms allow a person to glide or flow throw the motion which reduces the impactive force that the knee and other joints face with each stride.

Originally Posted by jawter View Post
    I am anti-jogging even with the best shoes on the market due to the high levels of shock impact to the joints of the body to include the lower back.

I am a supporter of walking/speed walking and running 3/4-full stride. These forms allow a person to glide or flow throw the motion which reduces the impactive force that the knee and other joints face with each stride.
    There is no such thing as best shoes on the market - just best shoes for the individual.....

mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000) mtxpert is just really nice. (+1000)
    I prefer a couple of hours on Rock Band playing drums vs walking. I keep a good steady sweat going and it's fun to jam out!
    Mike B 6'4" 42 yrs young
    I had the pain of regret for many years, I now proudly bear the pain of sacrifice

jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There is no such thing as best shoes on the market - just best shoes for the individual.....
    Symantics for the topic being discussed but let me rephrase..... I am anti-jogging no matter what footgear if any is worn.

asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    Im wondering if walking about 3.5mph is as good as jogging 5mph? I always jog for 12minutes at 5mph and that equals a 1mile. Is walking the mile about as good? Im wanting to give my knees a rest. By the way...I use a treadmill..
    Thanks
    You need to get your heart rate up to maximize fat burning and to get a cardiovascular workout - walking at 3.5 mph wont do it for most people. Why dont you try the elliptical or bike etc if you want to rest your knees?
    Dr Smo

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by asmolenski View Post
    You need to get your heart rate up to maximize fat burning and to get a cardiovascular workout - walking at 3.5 mph wont do it for most people. Why dont you try the elliptical or bike etc if you want to rest your knees?
    Well I do have an old road bike that i ride once in a while, but not often. We live in an area that is nothing but hills and hills and more hills. I dont care to strain the whole time im ridding. I enjoy bike ridding but geesshhh...I dont like hills..lol

I did a 3.5,3.6, 3.7mph walk on a incline anywhere from 4-8%tonight for 17 minutes. I went a hair over a mile.. Im going to just stick with that for a while and maybe my knees will chill out.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I've been in a caloric deficit dietwise for some time, I prefer walking. Easier on my joints.

I walk between 3-3.5mph with an incline starting at 6 and gradually up it to 12 sometimes 15 without holding on to the handles.
    timbahwolffff on Instagram

CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

IFPA Open & Master's Pro 5krunner's Avatar
    5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000) 5krunner is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=bhaputi;173835811]I disagree. This is one of those myths that will just not die. For some people it is bad, for some it is fine, and for some it is actually healthy for their joints. It is just like lifting in that sense.
    As long as you have good shoes and listen to your body I think almost anyone that has no issues with joints to start off with will do just fine.

I couldn't agree more...well stated!
    IFPA Open & Master's Pro

"Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith." Hebrews 12:1-2

Originally Posted by jawter View Post
    Symantics for the topic being discussed but let me rephrase..... I am anti-jogging no matter what footgear if any is worn.
    Why?

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    If I've been in a caloric deficit dietwise for some time, I prefer walking. Easier on my joints.

that was more or less what I was going to reply.

if u are tracking calories etc and you are just trying to burn some more calories to make sure you are in a defecit, then it seems walking would be fine

and I may be oversimplifying...but when I think "running" I think "burning carbs".....when I think "walking" I think more of "burning fat". I would think that if u r doing cardio after weights, that youd already have burned up most of your carbs (glucose) so that the walking would be enough to put you over into fat burning mode
    "Humility comes before honor"

learning to pick stuff up beachstoyboy's Avatar
    beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is most important is where your HR is. Aside from the impact on your joints(and I think a great deal of that is created by poor form), walking and running are only as good as where they get your heartrate. For me, walking without an incline won't get my pulse above 100. I need to either jog at about 5-6 mph or walk on a moderately steep incline in order to get into fat burning mode.
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    that was more or less what I was going to reply.

if u are tracking calories etc and you are just trying to burn some more calories to make sure you are in a defecit, then it seems walking would be fine

and I may be oversimplifying...but when I think "running" I think "burning carbs".....when I think "walking" I think more of "burning fat". I would think that if u r doing cardio after weights, that youd already have burned up most of your carbs (glucose) so that the walking would be enough to put you over into fat burning mode
    Well im wanting to burn fat. So Im guessing walking at a good 3.5-4mph at a decent incline is what im wanting?

BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BELLC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    I would think that if u r doing cardio after weights, that youd already have burned up most of your carbs (glucose) so that the walking would be enough to put you over into fat burning mode
    I'm one of those who now runs almost a 10k on the treadmill 3x per week BEFORE weight training. After 30 years of smoking, quitting 1 1/2 year ago, the cardio still seems to be the most important. I don't wheeze when I fall onto the bed anymore though I still find myself breathing hard after short lifting tasks. Still, I would have thought my lungs would be great by now and my belly would have gone down.
    Hang up and drive. Slower traffic move right.