akondog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder Pain from Decline Press

Today I worked chest and ended up with some sharp left shoulder pain (and I am right handed) after doing a few sets on the decline bench.

I searched this subject and found that most people point to the rotator cuff as the problem...however, the pain was not present for any other exercise (including dumbell flat press, pec dec flies, and high cable crossover flies)

...just at certain positions it hurt like a b*tch (including the initial setup for dumbell flat presses)

The pain is on the anterior portion of my left shoulder slightly above the bicep.

Since it just happened today, I am hoping the pain eases off during the next few days (hopefully by morning) in time for my other arm workouts, I have been icing periodically today (and praying...lol).

Any insight? Perhaps dips instead of decline press?

Appreciate your help.
    akondog

"Your soul can take you where your mind cannot"

83wolverine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Id drop the declines for sure.I really dont understand why people do these anyways,excpet maybe for tricep strength.I would throw inclines in the mix,in place of one of the isolation excericises.Always be careful when doing chest excercises because you can easily injur your rotators...and thats not fun.Remember to warm up properly,and use good form...it wouldnt hurt to throw in some rotator work as a warm up,and somewhere else in your normal routine.

THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEKMAN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the exact same pain in that same spot about 3 weeks ago. It took about 2 1/2 weeks for the pain to completely go away, although after a week, the pain was minimal. I have started lifting again and that area still feels a tad sore when doing certain exercises, but there is no pain. Keep icing it and don't lift for a week or two and you will be fine.

purpleone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Shoulder Pain from Decline Press

Originally posted by akondog
    Today I worked chest and ended up with some sharp left shoulder pain (and I am right handed) after doing a few sets on the decline bench.

I searched this subject and found that most people point to the rotator cuff as the problem...however, the pain was not present for any other exercise (including dumbell flat press, pec dec flies, and high cable crossover flies)

...just at certain positions it hurt like a b*tch (including the initial setup for dumbell flat presses)

The pain is on the anterior portion of my left shoulder slightly above the bicep.

Since it just happened today, I am hoping the pain eases off during the next few days (hopefully by morning) in time for my other arm workouts, I have been icing periodically today (and praying...lol).

Appreciate your help.
    You may want to consider dropping the flyes
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt20.htm

Make sure you use good form and you can handle the weight. I also have a bad shoulder and only use dumbells for any bench press incline, decline or flat. You don't need to drop declines its actually better than flat bench pressing.

Try adding cuff exercises to your regular routine.
    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/shoulder.asp
    http://home.eol.ca/~philla/bodyessen...shoulders.html

And cuff stretches
    http://www.ohsu.edu/som-Orthopedics/...ulderstiff.htm
    Quality Beef one Day at a time

Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike_Canuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Flax oil!

All I have to say as far as the pain goes is FLAX OIL!

Works wonders for me, and I had been plagued by rotator cuff probs for months. Three tablespoons a day of Udo' Choice of blended oils has completely rid me of pain and *clicking, snapping, and popping* of the joint. It's supposedly the Omegas that decrease the inflammation.

Give it a shot and good luck.
    "I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast"

"You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?"

".....no"

akondog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys/gals

Excellent advice....I will be using it.
    akondog

"Your soul can take you where your mind cannot"

BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRIT_BEEF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Shoulder Pain from Decline Press

Originally posted by akondog

Appreciate your help.
    Just a quick opinion..

No need for decline press on the same day as flat press.

Ditch the pec deck - its a medieval device for torturing your shoulders.
    http://www.hardcorebodybuilding.net/hb-db/phpBB2/index.php - only place I post now!

www.fortifiediron.com
    www.homefitness101.com

The original good guys....

bignbuff/sychokid/psupower/coneytt/LostProphet

ceenote00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy shoulder pain

has anyone here had shoulder surgery and if so how long before you could workout again