Thread: Wider Biceps??

MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wider Biceps??

My biceps have been gaining some mass as of late but more lengthwise then widthwise- From the side- it looks like a pair of fully accomplished biceps whereas from the front it looks like a wooden stick ( actually a stick is much wider )

I am trying to target the ''brachialis??'' muscle more to get a wider look and I only have got 2 exercises for them:

i) Hammer Curls
    ii) Close-grip Barbell Curl

Are there any other exercises I could use to get wider biceps?
    One rep maxes-
    Squat: 297lbs
    Deadlifts: 359lbs
    Bench Press: 195lbs

Total: 851lbs

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    those are 2 good ones, but what about your tricep?

The tri is what gives the real appearance of the arm...
    BRB, going hunting...

We're very proud of you Konzales's Avatar
    Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    pronated (or reverse grip) barbell curls.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Heavy preacher curls have worked for me with the EZ bar have worked for me...
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeDS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Konzales View Post
    pronated (or reverse grip) barbell curls.
    ^ I thought those target the forearms more?

Originally Posted by FAO
    Heavy preacher curls have worked for me with the EZ bar have worked for me...
    ^ Can you do those with a barbell or dumbells?
    One rep maxes-

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikeDS View Post
    My biceps have been gaining some mass as of late but more lengthwise then widthwise- From the side- it looks like a pair of fully accomplished biceps whereas from the front it looks like a wooden stick ( actually a stick is much wider )

I am trying to target the ''brachialis??'' muscle more to get a wider look and I only have got 2 exercises for them:

i) Hammer Curls
    ii) Close-grip Barbell Curl

Are there any other exercises I could use to get wider biceps?
    Hammer curls hit the brachialis, but close-grip barbell curls hit long head of the biceps....

Hammer curls are best for targeting the brachialis, and increasing general anterior arm growth.

Phil

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^ Can you do those with a barbell or dumbells?
    yes and no, but if you have a preacher bench setup, you can do spider curls or DB preacher curls
    BRB, going hunting...

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by psychowolverine View Post
    yes and no, but if you have a preacher bench setup, you can do spider curls or DB preacher curls
    Yeah, the key is the preacher bench, isolate the bi, no help from anything else(also looks very cool doing, lol)
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

We're very proud of you Konzales's Avatar
    Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Konzales has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^ I thought those target the forearms more?
    They hit the forearms but as with suppinated curls the forearm is being used to stablize the wrist/hand and grip. The brachialis is still pulling the ulna up. Hammer curls are the most effective in my experience but this exercise works as well.

aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been aiming to get my biceps wider as well and has been achieving my goals thus far. I do mainly close-grip EZ bar curl, wide-grip EZ bar curl and preacher curls. I think hammer curl works well, but your forearm needs to be very strong and I am still working on that, so hammer curls work my forearms more than my biceps at this stage
    ...Just trying to put some meat on my bones...

My forearms are quite big right now- only about 1.5'' smaller than my biceps and look huge compared to my arms so it's kinda embarrassing
    One rep maxes-

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

x2, there isn't a set way to get your biceps "wider" from the front. What I usually tell folks is that the only way to tell what you need to do is look at which head you're emphasizing right now. Substitute an exercise that emphasizes the head you NEED to work. (the biceps have an inner and outer head, you work both of them any time you do a bicep exercise but certain exercises emphasize a particular head, so make sure you work them both equally)

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'd probably just keep going... eventually it's going to get hit pretty much everywhere. Only worry about this when it's TOO big and you only want to build one part and couldn't possibly want any more on the other parts you think are adequate now.

Biceps does have 2 heads, so there might be a way by altering shoulder position or maybe including supination stuff, but it really is too much work for such a small muscle, especially when so much of it is genetically preset.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I'd probably just keep going... eventually it's going to get hit pretty much everywhere. Only worry about this when it's TOO big and you only want to build one part and couldn't possibly want any more on the other parts you think are adequate now.

Biceps does have 2 heads, so there might be a way by altering shoulder position or maybe including supination stuff, but it really is too much work for such a small muscle, especially when so much of it is genetically preset.
    ...most biceps moves are supinated....and no it's not too much work. It's pretty easy, and can be done in 6-9 sets which is what many people use. Exampel

BB Curl (shoulder width): hits the biceps overall, engaging both heads to a large extent as well as the brachialis
    hammer Curl; hits the outer head more
    Supinated DB Curl (where you give a little "twist" as you go up): emphasizes the inner head a little more

So if you do 3 sets per exercise that's 9 sets for biceps and still hitting both heads adequately. To decide which exercises you would need though, you should assess your physique in the mirror and see if one head needs more work, then you could substitute an exercise that emphasizes that head. If both heads seem pretty equal to each other then you just gotta put on some overall size.

Supplement Direct Rep REPS-Forum-Rep's Avatar
    REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000) REPS-Forum-Rep is just really nice. (+1000)
    Zottman Curls work Great!!!

iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

That is what I focus on the tri. I don't just forget about the other, but the tri makes the gun look big.
    Life of a motocross racer! To get the hole shot once the gate drops. To blast through the whoops and jump the doubles and triples. The greatest of all of this is to wave at the flagger as you soar over the top of him at the finish line.