beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How many protein shakes a day is too much? Easy protein sources for when on the go?

Hey guys,

I'm cutting right now and was wondering what your opinions were when it came to protein shakes...how many do you think is too many? I realize it's best to get your protein from whole foods, but I need shakes to supplement my protein intake... how many shakes is too many (assuming I am using 1 scoop in each shake)? Is 2 - 3 a day excessive? My main sources of protein other than that are egg whites, lean meats, some protein in yogurt... I don't like cottage cheese and really don't think I can get past the texture but I will try, LOL.

Also, what are some good protein sources for when I'm on the go? I've thought of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (which I don't like), shakes... any other easy ways to get my protein in when I'm on the go?

Thanks in advance!

cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cfit82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile Here are some ideas

Extra Lean Deli Meats(turkey and ham are my favs)
    Vaccum Pouch Chicken Breast, Tuna, and Salmon(I use Bumble Bee Brand)
    Reduced Fat String Cheese(Huge fav, totally portable)
    Eggs(take the yolks out before you take them with you)
    Fat Free Cheese(Lifetime Cheese, makes one that is actually quite edible)
    EXERCISE 'TIL YOUR BODY BEHAVES!!!!!!

Cellulite is sooooo 20th Century!

Q. How do you know if you are working hard enough?

A. Try to kill yourself and if you not dead yet, try harder!

ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ladymystique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i find i gain weight if i personally have more than one protien shake a day. I think 2 should be the max for anyone and add some benefiber to it!
    Just do whatever the **** you wanna do.

beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10) beyondthesmile is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cfit82 View Post
    Extra Lean Deli Meats(turkey and ham are my favs)
    Vaccum Pouch Chicken Breast, Tuna, and Salmon(I use Bumble Bee Brand)
    Reduced Fat String Cheese(Huge fav, totally portable)
    Eggs(take the yolks out before you take them with you)
    Fat Free Cheese(Lifetime Cheese, makes one that is actually quite edible)
    Thanks for the great suggestions! Totally forgot about string cheese, lol

Originally Posted by ladymystique View Post
    i find i gain weight if i personally have more than one protien shake a day. I think 2 should be the max for anyone and add some benefiber to it!
    Do you find this to be the case even if they fit into your macro ratios? If the 2 shakes fit into my calories/macros do you think they will affect my results?

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    2-3 protein shakes is okay, but you'll get more nutritional benefit and thermogenic benefit from eating whole foods.

Anything is portable if you learn to carry a cooler with you/leave it in the car.

Don't eat anything with more calories that come from another macro as a protein source. Yogurt normally ends up being more of a carb source (high in sugar) and nuts are more of a fat source. Check the macros on the cheese you choose as they can either be a decent protein source or more of a fat source. Most women end up needing to eat at least 20g of protein through 6 meals to get their bodyweight in grams of protein every day (take your bodyweight and divide by the number of meals you eat to determine how much you should shoot for at every meal). Take that into consideration when determining what your main sources of protein are going to be. Also consider what will keep you full (can of tuna or 3-4 oz of chicken may do a better job while containing more protein and fewer calories than string cheese).

So long as your protein shakes don't bump you above the calories you should be eating for the day, they won't make you gain weight.

precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50) precisou2004 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ladymystique View Post
    I have 3 scooops of P.P. a day and I dont "gain" weight, unless you are talking about gaining "muscles".

Doesnt make sense to me that you gain weight on 2 or more shakes a day. What is your Diet/workouts like ?

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    2-3 protein shakes is okay, but you'll get more nutritional benefit and thermogenic benefit from eating whole foods.

Anything is portable if you learn to carry a cooler with you/leave it in the car.

Don't eat anything with more calories that come from another macro as a protein source. Yogurt normally ends up being more of a carb source (high in sugar) and nuts are more of a fat source. Check the macros on the cheese you choose as they can either be a decent protein source or more of a fat source. Most women end up needing to eat at least 20g of protein through 6 meals to get their bodyweight in grams of protein every day (take your bodyweight and divide by the number of meals you eat to determine how much you should shoot for at every meal). Take that into consideration when determining what your main sources of protein are going to be. Also consider what will keep you full (can of tuna or 3-4 oz of chicken may do a better job while containing more protein and fewer calories than string cheese).

So long as your protein shakes don't bump you above the calories you should be eating for the day, they won't make you gain weight.
    Thank you for the great response!! I really appreciate the input Good call on the cooler. You're right that yogurt is generally more of a carb source.

I'm going to do my best to get my protein from whole foods but on the days where I can't get in all my protein through whole food sources, 2 - 3 shakes won't hinder my results so long as they fit into my calories/macro ratios, right?

Thank you again!

Sgonzalez76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take 2 scoops a day of protein sakes and five small meals a day, sometimes I mix it with oat meal that make the third scoop.........I like fat free feta cheese
    Last edited by Sgonzalez76; 05-27-2008 at 02:02 PM.

SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're on a cut and want to limit the actual number of shakes, you might look at investing in one of the expensive protein powders that have more protein per serving (60 instead of 25 grams).

I used to take drinks with 40g per serving when I was trying to limit fluid intake on a cut. When not cutting, I'm usually at 4 shakes a day.

Originally Posted by Spittfireda View Post
    If you're on a cut and want to limit the actual number of shakes, you might look at investing in one of the expensive protein powders that have more protein per serving (60 instead of 25 grams).

I used to take drinks with 40g per serving when I was trying to limit fluid intake on a cut. When not cutting, I'm usually at 4 shakes a day.

Thanks! I'm actually not concerned about fluid intake right now...I was more wondering if it was bad that I was getting a 50 - 75 grams of my daily protein intake from shakes as opposed to whole foods, and worried that this might somehow affect my results. I'm glad to hear that the 2 - 3 shakes are okay because it would be pretty hard for me to get that extra protein in from just food, lol.

I'll look into those protein powders with more protein per serving though That sounds convenient!