4hFTCPuuEFEEqZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Forearm Discomfort When Lifting... whats the appropriate response?

I've been having some forearm pain when curling for about 10 days. I've been stepping up weight and I think I might have pushed too hard with some improper form doing straight bar curls. I've stepped back my weight for curls trying to recover, but starting yesterday I also noticed the issue while medium grip benching (with proper form).

If I had to explain the injury I would say it feels exactly like shin splints only in my forearms (outside).

I'm trying to gauge the type of training response I should have. This past year aside from some IT Band issues from running I've gone injury free and I'm close to 100% on not losing exercise time due to injury.

Should I back off further with load and continue to workout?

or

Should I just take 3-5 days off from lifting to allow recovery?

Thanks!

Actually some searching here and on google yielded some decent results. I guess forearm splints really are a thing.

I have come across some confusing opinions on the cause being straight vs E-Z bar. I was using the straight bar 75% of the time, so I'm going to safely assume the straight bar. I think I'm going to just jump to using dumbbells instead of either.

deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000) deapee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Absolutely use a curl bar, dumbells, or a palms-down grip. The whole curling movement with a straight bar and palms-up just isn't natural.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deapee View Post
    Absolutely use a curl bar, dumbells, or a palms-down grip. The whole curling movement with a straight bar and palms-up just isn't natural.
    Disagree.

Elbows pinned to sides, hands wide is great short head exercise and opportunity to put some big weight on.

Thanks Drudixon, I'll be moving to doing more ez-bar and dumbell work, but I'm going to definitely give that one a try.

TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheNewRL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 4hFTCPuuEFEEqZ View Post
    I've been having some forearm pain when curling for about 10 days. I've been stepping up weight and I think I might have pushed too hard with some improper form doing straight bar curls. I've stepped back my weight for curls trying to recover, but starting yesterday I also noticed the issue while medium grip benching (with proper form).

If I had to explain the injury I would say it feels exactly like shin splints only in my forearms (outside).

I'm trying to gauge the type of training response I should have. This past year aside from some IT Band issues from running I've gone injury free and I'm close to 100% on not losing exercise time due to injury.

Should I back off further with load and continue to workout?

or

Should I just take 3-5 days off from lifting to allow recovery?

Thanks!
    I know exactly what you're experiencing. I have the same problem, especially whenever I decided to ramp up the weight that I curl at. I think the problem is that my forearms are not strong enough to assist the biceps in the curling movement. A.K.A. The forearms have not caught up with the biceps and the forearms cannot safely support that weight without the occurrence of micro-fractures (Forearm splints).

I tried using these bands once that tighten around your forearms, but they didn't help too much. The pain comes and goes and usually takes a while to fully heal.

What I once did was lay off curls and work on training the strength of my forearms and it seemed to help. I was able to increase the weight on my curls next time without the pain. I imagine once I get better at doing curls at my current dumbell weight, I will have to once again train my forearms.

And yes....the Straight bar caused even more pain. The EZ curl bar is the only one I use from now on.