Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

shin splints - supplements?

I experienced my first onset of shin splints after running on concrete with a crap pair of shoes.
    I did my research on this site and read several articles.
    I have since replaced them with a pair from New Balance and will move to grass fields instead of concrete.

The healing of the shin splints seems to be taking quite a while.
    What supplements can I take to help speed things along???
    I continue to take my multi along with protein but what else?
    Newbie Alert!

Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Buildin Muscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bump - anyone? Surely there must be something that can aid recovery?
    Newbie Alert!

Wildland Firefighter Cobra5.0Jeep's Avatar
    Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000)
    i need something as well.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Reverse calf raises and write the ABCs using your big toe as the pencil
    PSN - iarentdrunk

Training for Tough Mudder - April 2012

Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000) Cobra5.0Jeep is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by M4A1 Widowmaker View Post
    Reverse calf raises and write the ABCs using your big toe as the pencil
    i've been doing that, and i still got it. i need to get rid of the pain now because its hampering my performance. I also need something to boost my energy level, i run 5 to 8 miles every other day with my crew and i am not doing so good.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

Registered User progressiveman1's Avatar
    progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100) progressiveman1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Long slow distance walking. I have a thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=shin+splints

"Shin splints are a pain in the inner shin area, typically caused from running. Shin splints were giving me problems for the past couple of months when I started up my running program, but I'm almost certain I have figured out a solution. Actually it was on accident, when I didn't have a car at the time and I decided to walk to the mechanic shop to pick it up, which was about two miles. I had a baseball game the next day and there was no pain in my shins, nothing holding me back from running. Since I was taking time off from running during that time, I figured that was what helped the pain subside, not the walking. But when the pain came back for the next game a few days later, I knew rest wasn't the solution. So I walked a couple of miles for two consecutive days before the next baseball game and there was no pain at all that game. Based on this evidence, it seems clear to me that walking for a couple of miles fixes the problem of shin splints."

Based on my experience, I would suggest you walk 1-2 miles about 3 days a week and see if your shin splints improve.
    anything written in this part is pointless. even this.

M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M4A1 Widowmaker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cobra5.0Jeep View Post
    i've been doing that, and i still got it. i need to get rid of the pain now because its hampering my performance. I also need something to boost my energy level, i run 5 to 8 miles every other day with my crew and i am not doing so good.
    Damn really? I used to get them really bad but once I threw those in, I was fine.

I still have to be careful with any calf raises b/c they tend to re-aggravate my plantar fasciitis if I push too hard.
    PSN - iarentdrunk

Training for Tough Mudder - April 2012

gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gimpy835 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    going out there and running on hard concrete or grass after the fact its bothering you is not going to help you. be careful when running on grass too because its easy to roll your ankle or hurt yourself further.

libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) libertino85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wonder if Animal Flex would help with shin splints...

we didn't run or hike today and tomorrow and the next day are my days off. i am hoping they get better so i can run on friday, (thursday i have the vehicle and dumpster fire training)
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

Asalvato50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Helps shin splints

Taurine will help your shin splints. It won't take all pain away but it should help.
    6-1.5...currently 295 and starting the cut!

Bench 440
    Squat 650
    DeadLift 625

GET SOME!

PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10) PKtotheMX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    my shins seem to ache sometimes after walking or running, is this what you mean by shin splints? if so taurine hasn't helped me the only thing I find is to stop walking/running and continuing in about half hour.

My shin splint on my left foot feels like what it is, the muscle tearing away from my shin bone.
    I go back to work tomorrow and so far my shin is still hurting slightly. Friday and Saturday our my hardest workout days with the crew. I don't wanna puss out on those days.
    l/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=OlllllllO_
    ()_) ()_)-~--)_)

I Rep Back
    Reps for Life:
    Brahtactic

DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DiRect has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i feel you man, i got shin splints too and let me tell you they are painful. mine have aggravated to a verry high level, as they are sensitive to even the slightest touch and they are almost always hurting. even during walking, or any other physical activity. i thought they'd just heal, so i made it even worse by continuing sports and running as well as the 10+ km of walking I do every day. they got much worst to the extent that they hurt constantly now and i can feel some uneven surface on my shin. my advice, rest and put ice on it (i read that helps). i doubt there are supplements that can help aid in recovery, but you can take pain killers like tylenol to relieve the pain. good luck

dave1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dave1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dave1005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shin splints

Never fun and hard to get over

Rest and gradual build up back to full training.

Pick grass or training tracks over concrete wherever possible.

Use low impact training to maintain fitness while 'resting' those shins.

Also, make sure not to run on the balls of your feet too high, if you do, increase shock absorption.
    "If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win."
    - Carl Lewis

Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.
    - T.S. Eliot

ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dave1005 View Post
    Rest and gradual build up back to full training...
    Use low impact training to maintain fitness while 'resting' those shins.
    The above is the best advice, You get shin splints from too much pounding too fast, gymnasts get them from tons of punch front flips etc, and runners from too much running too soon, you just need to back off, rest and slowly work your way back up. Your workout partners need to realize you are legitimately injured and if you keep training hard you will seriously damage your legs.

donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000) donorrell is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I ran track (back in the day) and had the worst shin splints imaginable. Tibia flexor exercises helped a ton.

I'll give you a slightly biased tip, though...Osteobolin-C from Applied Nutriceuticals works wonders on connective tissue inflammation, e.g. tendonitis, joint pain, etc. If I get over-zealous and push it too hard it helps forgive a lot of sins.

Don't mean to pimp, but I 'm pretty confident it will help you.
    Former Prez, Applied Nutriceuticals - now just lurking...

"98% of your happiness in life is determined by who you choose to spend it with."
    "Never let your mouth write checks your body can't cash"
    "Little dogs bark. The big ones don't have to."

irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishtom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Try This

Hello good fellow members,

I understand how you feel, I had the same problems when I started running and I feel your pain.
    I will only ever run in Asics IGS gel runners, they are expensive but worth every Euro, sorry every Dollar where you live. When I saw the documentary on them being made and the shock absorption in the ankles and under the toes I knew before I got them they would be great.
    If your ankles, toes or side of your feet blister, plaster them with Petroleum Jelly as this will keep them soft and luubricated.

When you are doing sprinting or speed running, only do them on grass or soft surfaces, they are not good for your back, ankles or joints.

When you are going on long runs at a steady pace follow this advice and I am sure it will help you as it worked a treat for me in my preperation for the Paris Marathon last April.

1. Start taking Flaxseed Oil to flush the lactic acid out of your muscles and take Glucosamine Sulphate 1000mg to help lubricate your joints.

2. Before you go running, jog for 10 mins and do a full body stretch.

3. Apply biofreeze www.biofreeze.com or a similar product to the sides and backs of your knees and from your calf muscle to your ankle front and back of your legs.

4. Go and enjoy your run.

5. When you stop running and get your breath back, before you stretch or shower or do anything else, ice the side and back of your knees and from the calf muscle to your ankle front and back, ice it until you are numb or very red (Not pleasant but worth it)

6. Do your stretches, again a full body stretch, paying more attention to your legs. Go have your shower, swim, sauna, jacuzzi.

7. Apply more Biofreeze to your knees and ankle areas again after you are showered and before you go home or do whatever your next plans are.

Try that and you should feel fine later that day and the following day. I hope this works for you and you get some relife. When I ran my first Marathon in Dublin I was in a lot of pain until I got that advice from a very experienced runner, I found Paris a whole lot easier from doing the above and I will be using hte same routine when I commence my training for the Berlin Marathon later this year.

Take Care and Good Luck
    No Pain......No Gain

JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000) JTFisher79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have something even more painful that shin splints. Stress Fractures. I have been dealing with these for the past 6 weeks. I have multiple stress fractures in both tibial bones in my legs. Hurts like a bitch. If either tibia breaks I am completely screwed.

WLFirefighter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Cobra5.0Jeep View Post
    I am in the same position (I know this is a few years late). It shut me down entirely last season and the more I ramp up this season the worse it gets.

Did you ever resolve it?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sure the OP is either dead, on the couch, or has fixed his problem - that post was 7 years ago. Anyhow, wear good shoes, do dorsi flexion exercises, try toe lifts (yes, lift plates with your toes).