Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Does anyone else not primarily feel barbell bench in their chest?

I've always found that I feel barbell bench primarily in my shoulders rather than my chest. My form is perfectly fine, and I've tried going wider (my usual grip is wide), going narrow, everything and nothing seems to work and make me feel it in my chest.

For this reason I don't think I've done barbell bench in the past 3-4 weeks of training, been sticking with machines and presses that I actually feel in my chest, which have been giving me good results.

Anyone else have this problem?
    I rape back...

**MEMBER OF BIG NASTY FAN CLUB***

amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amaliaeddene has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can mentally change the muscle you're working.

I laughed at my Dad (a former competitive bodybuilder) when he first told me that but a few days later I ended up watching some pro bodybuilder talker about the mind-muscle connection, I tried it, and I'm convinced.

I'm with you though. If I let my mind wander when I'm working my chest, I end up using my shoulders more than my pectorals.

00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 00Baller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why not go to db's instead of machines?

TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheMisker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by amaliaeddene View Post
    You can mentally change the muscle you're working.

I laughed at my Dad (a former competitive bodybuilder) when he first told me that but a few days later I ended up watching some pro bodybuilder talker about the mind-muscle connection, I tried it, and I'm convinced.

I'm with you though. If I let my mind wander when I'm working my chest, I end up using my shoulders more than my pectorals.
    Word, I'm huge on doing that mind-muscle connection stuff, but Barbell Bench is one of the only exercises where I can't get my chest to feel it primarily.

I'm gonna try some more experimenting again with grips and depths, but I've tried enough things that I'm not sure anything will work. We'll have to see, thankfully tomorrow is a chest day so I'll test some stuff out.
    I rape back...

Originally Posted by 00Baller View Post
    why not go to db's instead of machines?
    Almost have the exact same problem with dumbell's as barbells, sorry forgot to post that. Its a little bit better with dumbells, but I still primarily feel it in my shoulders, and its not a very good feeling. Really sucks. I can't figure out if tis just cuz my shoulders are stronger than my chest, so they're trying to take over and just move the weight, or if for some reason my shoulders are weak so I feel it more in them than my chest...

I mean, I know of dudes that train their biceps+triceps so much that they can't work their back+chest, but its not like I do that with my shoulders or anything. I dunno, it just kinda sucks that I can't feel one of the most major bb exercises in its proper muscle...
    I rape back...

vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TheMisker View Post
    Word, I'm huge on doing that mind-muscle connection stuff, but Barbell Bench is one of the only exercises where I can't get my chest to feel it primarily.

I'm gonna try some more experimenting again with grips and depths, but I've tried enough things that I'm not sure anything will work. We'll have to see, thankfully tomorrow is a chest day so I'll test some stuff out.
    try bringing it to your neck, most here have posted that barbell bench press isn't as effective for chest development as cable/db flies.

i started bring the bar down to my neck and definitely feel my chest getting a better workout.

DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAVEZILLA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I really don't do flat benches anymore, because, I too, would feel to much stress on my front delts instead of my pecs, so I concentrate on inclines, declines, and I do the flat hammer strength

Originally Posted by vazquez View Post
    try bringing it to your neck, most here have posted that barbell bench press isn't as effective for chest development as cable/db flies.

i started bring the bar down to my neck and definitely feel my chest getting a better workout.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll probably try that tomorrow. When you say bringing it to my neck, do you mean bringing the bar further up my body, under my chin?

I've been doing more cable/db flies and have found I feel these greatly in my chest and have seen solid development from where I was at before.

Any way you could just clarify a bit more when you say "bring the bar down to the neck"? Just trying to get an image of what you mean.
    I rape back...

Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    I really don't do flat benches anymore, because, I too, would feel to much stress on my front delts instead of my pecs, so I concentrate on inclines, declines, and I do the flat hammer strength
    Yeah, thats what I'm talkin about. Boy, do I love the hammer strength machines. Especially the wide-press one.
    I rape back...

BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vazquez View Post

Barbell Bench Press may has its problems, but come on now.

OP, try this, it really helped. When doing your press, put your shoulders down...REAL down, just pin them down while retracting your shoulder blade. Also stick your chest up. Yes, puff it up like a soldier or like your walking pass some hot chicks.

Also make sure that your elbows are coming out the right way.

Originally Posted by BigNeck View Post
    Barbell Bench Press may has its problems, but come on now.

OP, try this, it really helped. When doing your press, put your shoulders down...REAL down, just pin them down while retracting your shoulder blade. Also stick your chest up. Yes, puff it up like a soldier or like your walking pass some hot chicks.

Also make sure that your elbows are coming out the right way.
    Think I see what you're saying about pinning the shoulders down and sticking the chest out, I'll try that tomorrow.

When you say make sure my elbows are coming out the right way, what way could be the right way as opposed to the wrong way? haha
    Last edited by TheMisker; 05-24-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    I rape back...

El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I had similar problems until I did what BigNeck recommended: I retracted my shoulder blades as hard as possible and stuck my chest out a lot.

As for the grip width, I'd say just go with whatever is comfortable. For example, I personally can't use too wide of a grip without my shoulders feeling really bad afterwards cause my shoulders are kind of ****ty, so I have to use a medium grip and can't flare my elbows out too much. Just go with whatever is most comfortable; your chest will still get worked fine.

Registered User Marion_Cobretti's Avatar
    Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marion_Cobretti is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    to the OP, bench pressers never have small arms.... thats all you need to know forget the chest

Originally Posted by Marion_Cobretti View Post
    to the OP, bench pressers never have small arms.... thats all you need to know forget the chest
    wtf are you even talking about, i'm not trying to just have huge arms, hence my making of this thread
    I rape back...

Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when i push the bar up its all shoulders, but when i lower it, its all chest. ecspecially when i learned to retract my scalpula during bench presses.

it just suckz cause i never have a spotter =(
    Wow your signature is so deep.

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP...where is the bar touching on your chest? You got some good advice about pinching your shoulders together and pushing your chest up...also go with a natural arch in your back and try touching the bar a little lower than nipple line. The closer to the neck you touch the more shoulders become involved. You can also try using the camber bar for some more rom.

Originally Posted by powerlifter70 View Post
    OP...where is the bar touching on your chest? You got some good advice about pinching your shoulders together and pushing your chest up...also go with a natural arch in your back and try touching the bar a little lower than nipple line. The closer to the neck you touch the more shoulders become involved. You can also try using the camber bar for some more rom.
    The bar is typically touching just below my nipple line, as you stated. I do not go to my chest, however, because doing so would severely injure my already injured right elbow (I'm a college baseball pitcher, and had a stress fracture this past year, I can't even train triceps or traps because of this), but I go to just a little bit below 90 degrees, enough to get a stretch of my chest in. I'll try the pinching of the shoulders, as well as an arch in my back, which might actually help that. Thanks.
    I rape back...

Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The bar is typically touching just below my nipple line, as you stated. I do not go to my chest, however, because doing so would severely injure my already injured right elbow (I'm a college baseball pitcher, and had a stress fracture this past year, I can't even train triceps or traps because of this), but I go to just a little bit below 90 degrees, enough to get a stretch of my chest in. I'll try the pinching of the shoulders, as well as an arch in my back, which might actually help that. Thanks.
    no triceps or trapz? damn that sucks. may wanna stick to flys then, nothin wrong with that either, lots of bodybuilders use them exclusivly.
    Wow your signature is so deep.

Originally Posted by Steeltoe View Post
    no triceps or trapz? damn that sucks. may wanna stick to flys then, nothin wrong with that either, lots of bodybuilders use them exclusivly.
    Yeah, it really blows. Even on some chest, shoulder, and back exercises I'll feel a twinge in my elbow, and sometimes will be forced to stop (I can't afford hurting my arm again, if I do there's a good chance I'm done with baseball for good). Flys don't bother it at all though, and I'll feel that a ton in my chest which is excellent.
    I rape back...

BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNeck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, the retracting of the shoulders is what i meant when he said pinching shoulders. And slight arch in back as well. Supposedly gives you more strength. Squeeze/tighten/flex your glutes for a little more strength (serious)

As to your other question. Elbows flared out (90 degrees) is the way most people say to do. It is also said that your chest is used more than elbows in a little. Some people say its more comfortable for their shoulders and feel it more on their chest when they're elbows are a little bit in.

BUT, flaring elbows can lead to shoulder injury, and can be dangerous.

Try both (flared and somewhat more to the side) and see which one you like better/gives you better results. Do whats good for YOU.

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What makes the biggest difference for me, regardless of grip or elbow flare, is pausing at the bottom for a count of two, keeping very tight.

And definitely keep those shoulderblades retracted.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A powerlifting tip when bench pressing is to try to pull the bar apart when pushing which engages the triceps more. So does pushing the bar inwards do the reverse and put more tension on the chest? Some people think so: http://www.t-nation.com/article/most...est_032206&cr=

Another tip often given is not to lock out at the top and also to alternate full reps will half reps. It is said tension is most on the chest from the bottom up to around half way up. After that it is mostly delts and triceps.
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Last edited by ramoayiraka; 05-25-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Duplicate
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe your elbow is preventing you from using enough weight to stimulate your chest. When I hurt my shoulder, I went from a 400+ bench to working out with 200lbs and I couldn't get any chest stimulation at all. Now that I am back over 400lbs again, my chest has been getting sore the last few workouts.

If your chest can handle 50-100 more pounds than you are using because of a shoulder or elbow injury, it is going to be damn hard to work the chest properly. DB's didn't help me either, as they bothered my shoulder alot more.

Try benching in the smith machine a few times. That may take the stress off of your elbow and allow you to use more weight.

vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000) vazquez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the tip, I'll probably try that tomorrow. When you say bringing it to my neck, do you mean bringing the bar further up my body, under my chin?

I've been doing more cable/db flies and have found I feel these greatly in my chest and have seen solid development from where I was at before.

Any way you could just clarify a bit more when you say "bring the bar down to the neck"? Just trying to get an image of what you mean.
    if you keep your arms 180 degrees, you'll notice that you put more emphasis on your pecs.

look at milos sarcevs videos and he supports this as well.

it helped me and it might work for you?

miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miketl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if u dont pin ur shoulders back u will be working ur delts like crazy.

Originally Posted by ironman1964bc View Post
    Maybe your elbow is preventing you from using enough weight to stimulate your chest. When I hurt my shoulder, I went from a 400+ bench to working out with 200lbs and I couldn't get any chest stimulation at all. Now that I am back over 400lbs again, my chest has been getting sore the last few workouts.

If your chest can handle 50-100 more pounds than you are using because of a shoulder or elbow injury, it is going to be damn hard to work the chest properly. DB's didn't help me either, as they bothered my shoulder alot more.

Try benching in the smith machine a few times. That may take the stress off of your elbow and allow you to use more weight.
    I think it could be a combination of my elbow and my shoulder preventing me from working my chest. As a pitcher, we've all got technically screwed up elbows and shoulders (just because our bodies get torn down from the abnormal motion and strain of pitching a baseball). My bench is weak as HELL compared to the rest of my body strength (particularly my back+legs), but obviously this has something to do with the fact that I'm not actually working my chest.

I'll try the shoulder retracting stuff on the flat barbell today, and if that still doesn't work out I'll test out the Smith machine as you stated. Thanks for all the help guys.
    I rape back...

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Try doing partials. Bring the weight all the way down to the chest, bu only push the weight up 2/3 of the way tops, even half way. This isolates the Chest a little more.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) JamaicaBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just a tip, dont say your form is perfect because it might stop people from giving advice on it, and your problem wont be corrected

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JustinLloyd View Post
    Just a tip, dont say your form is perfect because it might stop people from giving advice on it, and your problem wont be corrected
    Good comment.

TheMisker, is it possible to post a vid?
    Every journey begins with a single step.