Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Does Eating Every 3 Hours Actually Speed Up Metabolism?

I always thought this was true. If you eat small meals 5 to 6 times a day that its better for fat loss.

But, recently Ive read a couple different articles that it doesnt really make a difference.

Does eating once or twice a day really screw up your metabolism that badly? I always thought breakfast was so important and if you dont eat breakfast your metabolism will be slow till you get some food in you.
    ****************************G-Money******************************
    -------------------------------- Chicagoan Crew -----------------------------------
    -----------------------Da Vice President of Da Chicagoan Crew--------------------------------
    -----------=[$]MISC. FINANCE CREW[$]=- (Intern on his way to CEOinggg)---------------------

gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gujdek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gmoney23 View Post
    I always thought this was true. If you eat small meals 5 to 6 times a day that its better for fat loss.

But, recently Ive read a couple different articles that it doesnt really make a difference.

Does eating once or twice a day really screw up your metabolism that badly? I always thought breakfast was so important and if you dont eat breakfast your metabolism will be slow till you get some food in you.
    It doesn't, most of people still believe it does. Amino acids from a meal stay in a body for around 6 or 7 hours if they were solid food. The upper limit of limiting muscle breakdown is around 5 hours. For bulking purposes, eating every 5 hours will make eating those calories needed very hard, so it's better to increase meal frequency.
    "All of the protein in the world won't help when your hormones are putting your body in an inherently catabolic state." -Lyle McDonald

Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Sure does. It's like constantly stoking the flames or putting coal in the fire - it just burns hotter and hotter. Just be sure the meals are small in portion and contain protein, carbs and healthy fats. Oh, and that occasional cheat meal blast your metabolism, too, so be sure and get that in as well.
    Idiotic and inconsequential people are still idiotic and inconsequential.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://alanaragon.com/an-objective-l...t-fasting.html

Originally Posted by Alan Aragon
    Glad you liked the article, but the one thing you have to ponder is the fact that controlled metabolic ward studies (where subjects were fed by the lab and kept in a metabolic chamber) showed no difference in thermogenesis regardless of differing meal frequency. This is not my mere opinion, this is objective evidence as seen in scientific experimentation.

I'm talking about scientfic evidence in the strictest sense. To my knowledge, there are no controlled metabolic ward studies (the highest standard for enforcing compliance and suppressing confounding variables) showing a thermogenic increase when the same amount of calories are broken up into more frequent feedings. If you can present them to me, I'd like to see them. By the way, the greater insulin output from a lower meal frequency has not affected body composition in the vast majority of research.

There's science, and there's opinion. Or rather, BRO-pinion. Again, show me the objective evidence in opposition to anything I've said.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hmmm quite interesting...I was under the impression that eating more frequent did speed up metabolism, from word of mouth and personal experience.

Anyone else have any info on this?
    I prefer to train when few people are in the gym. Even if the place is packed, I pay no attention to the other bodybuilders except for my training partner. No eye contact. No talking. Even between sets, if I'm not helping my training partner, I just sip water and look at the floor, making it clear that I don't want my mental focus to be interrupted.

-Dorian Yates

Andrey_I has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cardio + coffeing

You can accelerate you methobolism doing cardio + coffeing. You can try 0,25 g of coffeing and 15-30 minutes of cardio. After that I feel myself as after good breakfast! Methabolism remains 3-6 hours after execises.

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by becky21 View Post
    Hmmm quite interesting...I was under the impression that eating more frequent did speed up metabolism, from word of mouth and personal experience.

Anyone else have any info on this?
    He's right. Pretty well all the experiments show no change in weight loss or body composition between different meal frequencies.

High meal frequency will keep you more satiated though and make it less likely for you to cheat because you're never too hungry.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tnguyen8485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not sure if it really speeds up the process. but so far from almost every magazine i read it states that it does. also ever since i changed my diet and started to eat frequently i lost mega weight(since feb 12th i lost 54lb to date).... -=oP

imo it does, i eat a good amount of food every 2.5-3 hrs. and after 2.5hrs i feel my stomach growling. and have to eat once agian. but all day i feel full and dont binge or have craving for bad food.

utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) utvolman99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I wonder if breaking your meals up allows your body to expend more of the calories you eat instead of storing them as fat. For instance, if I took in a whole days worth of calories in one sitting would my body use what it could, and then store the rest as fat. Meanwhile three hours later I would be starving because my body had already distributed the calories from my meal?

For me, eating six meals a day (as opposed to three) is the difference between feeling a little hungry because of my cal deficient and wanting to eat my desk at work because I am going into starvation mode!

newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newedgepnoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read an article that said it doesn't speed up metabolism. But they said that it does help control appetite since you don't have to wait so long before your next meal.

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Regardless if it does or doesn't, by eating smaller meals more frequently, your body is less likely to over eat which would result in more food being stored as fat. Since your eating smaller meals spread out, you aren't over stuffing your body and storing what you don't need.

I eat 7 meals a day, breakfast always the largest followed by my post workout meal being slightly smaller.
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The most recent article I saw said it could contribute to up to 2-3 lbs additional weight loss over 2 months. Didn't mention whether or not it had anything to with metabolism or people eating slightly less because they weren't as hungry.
    Bench - 285
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 455

Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tobey77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "infinite diversity, infinite possibilities", need i say more? We all know change is what makes us better, stronger and healthier too! Change in all aspects of your life is only good. So what does this break down to in fat loss? Some change is good, alot of change may not be helpful.

Not big news i guess, but it helps me be on track. Cheat meals can help, it can also screw things up cause it has more then 1 aspect of fatloss then just the eating aspect, also gotta consider the mind aspect of eating.

But then again, we all do things a little different dont we? find your own way is the only way to ensure 100% success. Get going my friend, i know you dont want to loose time listening to peoples advice of a question that hasnt been settled among the most prestigeous scientists on the planet.
    "A single measurement is worth a thousand opinions"

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Does eating once or twice a day really screw up your metabolism that badly? .
    Absolutely not
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dude, props for the scientific outlook/evidence on most of your posts! I love it!! rep coming for you!!
    "Current trades: Shorting fat, going long on muscle"

Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by newedgepnoy View Post
    I read an article that said it doesn't speed up metabolism. But they said that it does help control appetite since you don't have to wait so long before your next meal.
    That I could definitely see as being true..
    -------------------------------- Chicagoan Crew -----------------------------------
    -----------------------Da Vice President of Da Chicagoan Crew--------------------------------
    -----------=[$]MISC. FINANCE CREW[$]=- (Intern on his way to CEOinggg)---------------------

Originally Posted by Andrey_I View Post
    You can accelerate you methobolism doing cardio + coffeing. You can try 0,25 g of coffeing and 15-30 minutes of cardio. After that I feel myself as after good breakfast! Methabolism remains 3-6 hours after execises.
    Why does Caffeine boost your Metabolism? I know it gives you energy right? But, if you already have enough energy to do the Cardio do you really need the Caffeine then?

Also what are some ways to get that dosage of Caffeine in you besides Cofee? I hate Cofee..

Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eating 6 small meals a day v. Eating one large meal a day

Both methods work. I am eating 1 meal a day now and it definately works for improved body composition and 6 small meals a day has also worked before.

Jake4130 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have always look at it like your stomach is a fire, put 3 big logs on it and it will burn slow, put 6 small sticks on it and it will go up in flames.

The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bo DeLone View Post
    Eating 6 small meals a day v. Eating one large meal a day

Both methods work. I am eating 1 meal a day now and it definately works for improved body composition and 6 small meals a day has also worked before.
    1 meal a day? isnt that pushing it? lol.

Results:Subjects who completed the study maintained their body weight within 2 kg of their initial weight throughout the 6-mo period. There were no significant effects of meal frequency on heart rate, body temperature, or most of the blood variables measured. However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol.
    So eating 1 meal a day increases your blood pressure and cholesterol concentrations...but you do lose fat? hmm .

Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Half the studies over the IntE3rn3Tz are useless because we don't know anything about the subjects, or their diet/workout.

I would love to see a study where the subjects are bodybuilders who workout 5 days a week, and if they will get same results with 1-2 meals, compared to 5-6 meals.

Show me that study, and I'll believe what you guys are saying...

Originally Posted by Adam444 View Post
    Half the studies over the IntE3rn3Tz are useless because we don't know anything about the subjects, or their diet/workout.

I would love to see a study where the subjects are bodybuilders who workout 5 days a week, and if they will get same results with 1-2 meals, compared to 5-6 meals.

Show me that study, and I'll believe what you guys are saying...
    Its not a 'internet study'.

From the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Beltsville, MD (KSS, DJB, KS, DRP, GKW, and WVR), and the Clinical Research Branch (PS and LF), and the Laboratories of Cardiovascular Science (SSN), Experimental Gerontology (DKI), Immunology (DLL), and Neurosciences (MPM), National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD
    Still relevent to the OP's question in regards to meal frequency. I think 1 meal a day is pushing it....

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don't see a difference in the controlled lab setting because we are just dealing with "if you eat the same thing, but in only 2 meals, what happens". Whereas, most people would be absolutely starving if they restricted intake to two meals and seek out more food. It is going to be easier to stick to a diet where you eat more often.

So the answer is, it doesn't make a difference to how you split up the calories BUT you should be doing what will increase your personal dietary compliance.

I personally get pretty ravenous at anything under 5 meals.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Northman69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Oh Here We Go Again, Another Posting Articles. Does This Article Say Hey If Your A Bodybuilder This Applies?

If Not Please Pay No Attention.

Originally Posted by Northman69 View Post
    Oh Here We Go Again, Another Posting Articles. Does This Article Say Hey If Your A Bodybuilder This Applies?

If Not Please Pay No Attention.
    Can provide a benchmark...

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tropszzz View Post
    I've tested both methods and I found I got leaner, had a better body composition and overall looked and felt healthier eating 6 meals a day rather then 3....Also I was much happier and calmer...

I even tried the one meal a day for 2 weeks....I liked the studies etc on doing this but it wasn't for me...I hated it...too extreme...
    I think most are testing for fat loss and not LBM retention, as most probably don't involve weight training and that is where the difference could lie in your appearance difference.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone seems to be going off on tangents. Metabolic changes and changes in body comp are 2 different things.

Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    You don't see a difference in the controlled lab setting because we are just dealing with "if you eat the same thing, but in only 2 meals, what happens". Whereas, most people would be absolutely starving if they restricted intake to two meals and seek out more food. It is going to be easier to stick to a diet where you eat more often.

So the answer is, it doesn't make a difference to how you split up the calories BUT you should be doing what will increase your personal dietary compliance.

I personally get pretty ravenous at anything under 5 meals.
    I actually think the exact opposite. I think it's easier to stick to a diet where you eat less often. IMO, when you eat every few hours (well when cutting at least, which is what i'm doing) you have to eat smaller portions and if you're eating 6-7 times a day it can be tough. It's way more satisfying eating 3 LARGE meals when cutting because it's a lot of food and you get pretty full. Rather when you spread your calories out you are more likely to cheat because you're hungry eating those small portions and that's when you cheat, when you're hungry. I've done both ways, but have only recently started eating few meals. (I'm actually doing Intermittent Fasting) And it's working wonders right now and so far it is really easy to stick to and I haven't cheated once. I really never had much control over what I ate because I would get so damn hungry when eating 6-8 meals a day but now it's not a problem. Big satisfying meals > smaller portioned meals.

So far i've dropped from 200 when I started to about 193.

Originally Posted by MNfootball23 View Post
    I actually think the exact opposite. I think it's easier to stick to a diet where you eat less often. IMO, when you eat every few hours (well when cutting at least, which is what i'm doing) you have to eat smaller portions and if you're eating 6-7 times a day it can be tough. It's way more satisfying eating 3 LARGE meals when cutting because it's a lot of food and you get pretty full. Rather when you spread your calories out you are more likely to cheat because you're hungry eating those small portions and that's when you cheat, when you're hungry. I've done both ways, but have only recently started eating few meals. (I'm actually doing Intermittent Fasting) And it's working wonders right now and so far it is really easy to stick to and I haven't cheated once. I really never had much control over what I ate because I would get so damn hungry when eating 6-8 meals a day but now it's not a problem. Big satisfying meals > smaller portioned meals.

So far i've dropped from 200 when I started to about 193.
    It is definitely person dependent. I do better on 5 meals. But I get hypoglycemic if I have meals too far apart, so that's a whole different issue.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    It is definitely person dependent. I do better on 5 meals. But I get hypoglycemic if I have meals too far apart, so that's a whole different issue.
    Yep, definitely person dependent. I really think it's all what your body gets used to. I was used to eating every 2 hours and when I would miss a meal I'd be real irritable and cranky, but now I'm fine. The body adjusts pretty remarkably.