gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to measure arms, etc

Basic question for you guys if you don't mind.

When you take your measurements, do you flex the muscle or measure in a relaxed state?

Sorry for such a noob question.

That frikken Canadian djl_ottawa's Avatar
    djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    not a newb question :>

on the upper right, you see your avatar pic. Click on it.

Then scroll down to Body Stats and click on edit on the right.

Scroll down and there are videos on how to take your measurements there ;>
    djl_ottawa

"The trouble with opportunity is that it always comes disguised as hard work."

Body type: Mesomorp
    "You have a naturally fit body but to maintain it or improve it you should exercise and diet correctly for your type."

Don't listen to your scale, listen to your clothes

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gkkling View Post
    Basic question for you guys if you don't mind.

When you take your measurements, do you flex the muscle or measure in a relaxed state?

Sorry for such a noob question.
    Flexed. The real question is whether you measure it pumped flexed or not pumped flexed.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazydays is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Flexed. The real question is whether you measure it pumped flexed or not pumped flexed.

This is what I was curious about also.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No pump IMO
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    No pump IMO
    I've done both. When my arms were very big (ie. early '80s) they were 19" pumped and 18.5" cold.

Nowadays I doubt the importance of the thing. Yes, there will be differences, but the real key is whether it's important to look like you have big arms independent of your overall physique, or whether the overall effect is more important. If the latter, then you'd either have to be fully pumped (as in a pre contest condition) or not at all. The proportions are mostly the same (unless you're a natural Sergio Oliva).

- Anon

gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gkkling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by djl_ottawa View Post
    not a newb question :>

on the upper right, you see your avatar pic. Click on it.

Then scroll down to Body Stats and click on edit on the right.

Scroll down and there are videos on how to take your measurements there ;>
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Measuring consistently seems more important than whether you flex or not.
    The real value is in determining change to measure improvement, but I guess I was just hoping for a flex response to make myself feel better. haha

I'll just stick with what the vids show and work harder.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I remember an article suggesting to measure the arm both flexed and unflexed. The greater the difference between the two measurements, the lower your bodyfat. Because you can't flex fat. Anyone try this?
    timbahwolffff on Instagram

CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    I remember an article suggesting to measure the arm both flexed and unflexed. The greater the difference between the two measurements, the lower your bodyfat. Because you can't flex fat. Anyone try this?
    This is a new idea to me and interesting.

- Anon

Utah...but I'm taller batteryrequired's Avatar
    batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Flex fat??? Can't say that i have. Don't have much
    Double T Sponsored Athlete!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you are going through hell... keep going" Sir Winston Churchill

Registered Flex Offender ColdFlex's Avatar
    ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10) ColdFlex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the main point is just to measure the same way every time, at the state and the same place on your arm. That way you can judge your progress accurately.

Interesting. Does that work? It seems like it would be governed more by how long since your last workout (how pumped your arm still is). For me after a week break my arms have the greatest difference between flexed and not because my arm is more relaxed unflexed from the layoff. So wouldn't it be a different result for people that workout their arms (indirectly) every day and people that skip a day between from the left over pump? Just curious.

learning to pick stuff up beachstoyboy's Avatar
    beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beachstoyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That makes me feel a LITTLE better about my arms. I have always done unflexed, and could not understand why my arms were relatively small, not to mention dwarfed by others around here. Now I just have to find that tape measure.
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    cold flexed is the standard for most i believe.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

We make PROGRESS happen! Bronzebird's Avatar
    Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000)

x2

Cold Flexed...Why because when someone ask you how big are your arms you say I'm close to 16" and you flex for them. Or anyway most people have a curiosity to what they look like in a cold flexed state. After push ups or curls or both the pump is 3/4 of an inch bigger for me. I would guess that bigger arms (19") get more pump swell to 20"s?

However if your tailor ask, what size are you? It would be unflexed...(LOL)

Also there is a cool measuring tape called the Myo-Tape. It is found here at the super store for 5 bucks and is made for one handed measurements and is spring loaded so you can flex and see where is the biggest part of your arm.
    Last edited by Bronzebird; 05-22-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Myo Tape note...
    Send a friend to invite on ********--> Marty Tolmich/Personal Trainer

My video are at https://www.********.com/pages/Action-Fitness-LLC/219746674743053

picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) picantel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    GL gkkling. We are the same height and practically started out with the same weight. Making good progress there.