Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK 120 :: What Is The Best Workout To Get Cut?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Workout To Get Cut?

For the week of: 5/20-6/01
    Sunday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who have put on enough muscle this winter are looking to get 'cut' for the summer.

What is the best workout to get cut? Be specific.

What kind of results can one expect from this type of workout?

What are some of the drawbacks to this type of workout?

BONUS QUESTION: Do you usually cut for the summer? If so, about when do you usually start to cut?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000) seven7s is just really nice. (+1000)
    No workouts ? this is what I need.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Here's a routine I like to do. It's nothing spectacular, but I've done it and it keeps me lean when I put on a couple extra lbs.

Warm-up of cardio 10 mins.

Tri-set this:
    Chin-ups (bodyweight)- 10 reps
    Dips-(bodyweight) 10 reps
    Squats (bodyweight, and your weight in lbs on your back)-10 reps
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    Then do it again, droping one rep of each. i.e.:
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps
    repeat until failure, or if you can get to one rep of each, go back UP and see if you can get to ten of each again. I myself can only get back up to 3 of each before totally gassed.

If bodyweight exercises are a problem, assisted pullup/dip machines can be subbed, as long as you can promise yourself that you're doing enough weight to really push your limits.

With all of these compounds, you don't NEED to target those abs, but you can try doing planks after this routine to really feel it throughout your entire body.

I recommend trying to do 20 seconds plank/ 20 seconds rest for as long as you can for 3 sets. You're toasted, I promise.

Doing this 3 times a week will hit all major muscles, and increase calorie demand exponentially.

Thanks for reading.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harmdogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

German Body Comp

Here is the program as found in "The Poliquin Principles"

the letter responds to what number the exercise is in a giant set
    e.g
    A1. Exercise 1
    rest period
    A2. Exercise 2
    rest period
    etc

there is 45 seconds between exercises in workout A and 30 in workout B

The tempos e.g 201 would mean 2 seconds negative (or lowering) 0 second pause and 1 second positive (raising weight), an X means to explode the weight up

tempo = T

What is the best workout to get cut?
    Workout A
    Days 1&3

A1.Dumbbell Lunge 4 x15-20 T=20X
    A2.Lat Pulldown 4 x15-20 T=321
    A3.Lying Leg Curls 4 x15-20 T=501
    A4.Decline Dumbbell Tricep Extension 4 x15-20 T=401

B1.Leg Press 3x15-20 T= 201
    B2.One Arm Cable Rowing 3x15-20 T=401

Workout B
    Days 2&4

A1.Dumbbell Squat 4 x15-20 T=201
    A2.Pronated Grip Front Pulldown 4 x15-20 T=301
    A3.Dumbbell stiff-leg deadlift 4 x15-20 T=402
    A4.Seated EZ bar french press 4 x15-20 T=302

B1.Low Pulley Abduction, standing 3x15-20 T= 301
    B2.Seated Rope Rowing To Neck 4x15-20 T=211

What kind of results can one expect from this type of workout?
    One can expect to surprisinly hold on to alot of the muscle mass gained in a bulk during this training phase due the system taxing the anaerobic and aerobic system thoroughly.

This workout at first may be hard to complete due to the higher reps and short rest period, but this should be overcome as your body adapts to the stimulus given.

BONUS QUESTION: Do you usually cut for the summer? If so, about when do you usually start to cut?
    for me my rugby league season pre season training starts just before summer, so using this program, and cardio from the intense training has given me great results.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    Here's a routine I like to do. It's nothing spectacular, but I've done it and it keeps me lean when I put on a couple extra lbs.

Tri-set this:
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps
    repeat until failure, or if you can get to one rep of each, go back UP and see if you can get to ten of each again. I myself can only get back up to 3 of each before totally gassed.

If bodyweight exercises are a problem, assisted pullup/dip machines can be subbed, as long as you can promise yourself that you're doing enough weight to really push your limits.

With all of these compounds, you don't NEED to target those abs, but you can try doing planks after this routine to really feel it throughout your entire body.

I recommend trying to do 20 seconds plank/ 20 seconds rest for as long as you can for 3 sets. You're toasted, I promise.

Doing this 3 times a week will hit all major muscles, and increase calorie demand exponentially.

Thanks for reading.
    Ok. Now with more time on my hands:

What one could expect from this workout:
    This is one that is going to push your anaerobic threshold to the max resulting in huge pumps that if properly supplemented, could ADD muscle to your build while taxing all major muscle groups to recruit fat stores. On top of that, your core musculature will firm, and your plyometric performance will increase as well. Expect to lose noticeable percentages within 2-3 weeks.

You will definitely need to watch what you eat and drink if you were to undertake this workout. Your calorie demands will sky rocket, tempting you to grab the first thing you see and eat until you burst. You will also need to be aware of the dehydration issue that comes with total body workouts. Drinking more water will not only keep you from burning out, but in and of itself will help you lose weight.

Bonus question: Do you usually cut for the summer? If so, about when do you usually start to cut?

I am by trade a personal trainer, also like to dabble in fitness modeling from time to time, so I always keep myself relatively lean all year long. During winter months I find myself sitting around 10% bodyfat, but when it's beach season, I can do this workout and drop to around 6-8% after 2 weeks time.

tanzeer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. What is the best workout to get cut? Be specific.

Ans: As per my opinion, the best workout to get cut is as follows:

Workout start time: 6am
    Used Weights : As per capability
    Sun: Chest, Tricep, Leg, Abs
    Mon: Bicep, Shoulder, Calf, Abs
    Tue: Off/Cardio
    Wed: Chest, Tricep, Leg, Abs
    Thu: Bicep, Shoulder, Calf, Abs
    Fri: Off/Cardio
    Sat: Off/Cardio

Sunday and Wednesday
    Chest, Tricep, Leg, Abs (set x reps)

Push ups 3x failure
    Bench dips 3 x failure
    Tricep Extension 3 x failure
    Close-grip bench press 3 x failure
    Dumbell flyes 3 x failure
    Incline bench press 3 x failure
    Bench press 3 x failure
    Leg curl 3 x failure
    Hanging leg raise 3 x failure

Monday
    Bicep, Shoulder, Calf, Abs
    (set x reps)
    Bent-over rear delt raise 3 x failure
    Front dumbbell raise 3 x failure
    Military press 3 x failure
    Alternate dumbbell curl 3 x failure
    Hammer curl 3 x failure
    Barbell curl 3 x failure
    Calf raise 3 x failure
    Abs crunch 3 x failure

Thursday
    Bicep, Shoulder, Calf, Abs
    (set x reps)
    Bent-over rear delt raise 3 x failure
    Front dumbbell raise 3 x failure
    Military press 3 x failure
    Concentration curl 3 x failure
    Hammer curl 3 x failure
    Barbell curl 3 x failure
    Calf raise 3 x failure
    Abs crunch 3 x failure

Apart from the above workout program, one have to maintain their nutrition facts. The main thing is they have to stop eating junks and fats.

2. What kind of results can one expect from this type of workout?

Ans: Doing this workout will definitely help a person to get in shape. To be more specific, the muscles will be more exposed than before. This exercise is mainly to get cut. That means, a person who has mainly focused to gain volume for sometime by eating and exercising, will get most benefit by doing this exercise as this exercise will cut off the extra fats and will only keep the muscles.

3. What are some of the drawbacks to this type of workout?

Ans: This is a very hard and extra heavy weight training which needs lot of patience and motivation. One may feel more tired during this workout, however vitamin c liquid intakes will help to get rid of tiredness.

Possibilities of injuries are also expected if the exercises are done improperly.

Ans: Yes I do cut for the summer. Summer in Bangladesh starts mainly from March, so I start in mid March.
    Last edited by tanzeer; 05-25-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling error

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    probably the earliest i ever submitted an article, but im bored, i wrote one, im sure if i wait for the last minute i will forget, so i'll enter now
    Attached Files

DaninSpain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

" Properly Supplemented ? "

Ok. Now with more time on my hands:

What one could expect from this workout:
    This is one that is going to push your anaerobic threshold to the max resulting in huge pumps that if properly supplemented, could ADD muscle to your build while taxing all major muscle groups to recruit fat stores. On top of that, your core musculature will firm, and your plyometric performance will increase as well. Expect to lose noticeable percentages within 2-3 weeks.

You will definitely need to watch what you eat and drink if you were to undertake this workout. Your calorie demands will sky rocket, tempting you to grab the first thing you see and eat until you burst. You will also need to be aware of the dehydration issue that comes with total body workouts. Drinking more water will not only keep you from burning out, but in and of itself will help you lose weight.

Bonus question: Do you usually cut for the summer? If so, about when do you usually start to cut?

I am by trade a personal trainer, also like to dabble in fitness modeling from time to time, so I always keep myself relatively lean all year long. During winter months I find myself sitting around 10% bodyfat, but when it's beach season, I can do this workout and drop to around 6-8% after 2 weeks time.
    - Please explain what your deffinition of " Properly Supplemented " means - The workout looks Interesting and I would be Intrested in following this routine with a little lean muscle gain as you describe , many thanks

Originally Posted by DaninSpain View Post
    - Please explain what your deffinition of " Properly Supplemented " means - The workout looks Interesting and I would be Intrested in following this routine with a little lean muscle gain as you describe , many thanks
    Mostly talking about most NO products, along with adequate protein intake. Some argue creatine, but if you're "cutting" you're going to look fuller, so I would say stay away from that. For example:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/nitrix.html this nitrix product looks pretty solid to me. I would/have/will again take this.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
    This whey is good, it certainly sells well, but without carbs to replenish energy stores, you might as well just eat your muscle for the NEXT workout you go into. I like THIS protein better:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/ultra.html

With enough carbs to spike insulin, and ensure replenshing glycogen levels and enough protein to aid in the amount needed daily; this would be a protein of choice. Good luck!

Nyyankees3892 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout

Wow i tried the triset workout and i am sooooo beat.

scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tri-set this:
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps

Thanks for reading.

Ok, now you start with 10 and just do trisets and go down to 1 of each then start going back up until you just can't do anymore?? I used to do something like this before trying to follow the Mike Tyson routine but didn't do everything the way he use to.... especially the 3 mile jog in the morning!!

And explain the squat deal again? I weigh about 184 so is that what I should put on my back? I wouldn't put more anyways cause I still play basketball and I don't need huge legs.

What kind of cardio you kick in? You keep a close eye on amt of protein, carbs, and fat in you diet?

thanks
    Scott
    Weight: 182
    Height: 6'2"

Determination and Drive
    God Bless

Originally Posted by scottiep View Post
    Ok, now you start with 10 and just do trisets and go down to 1 of each then start going back up until you just can't do anymore?? I used to do something like this before trying to follow the Mike Tyson routine but didn't do everything the way he use to.... especially the 3 mile jog in the morning!!

And explain the squat deal again? I weigh about 184 so is that what I should put on my back? I wouldn't put more anyways cause I still play basketball and I don't need huge legs.

What kind of cardio you kick in? You keep a close eye on amt of protein, carbs, and fat in you diet?

thanks
    Scott

Yeah, well 184 lbs could be rounded up (or down) to 185-180. Do that 10 times. Then after the rest, and it's squats again, just do 9, and repeat.

With this, you do 10 minutes of cardio to warm-up, and I seriously doubt you'd want to do cardio after, but maybe 10-15 mins after. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Nyyankees3892 View Post
    Wow i tried the triset workout and i am sooooo beat.
    Yessir! That's what success feels like!

scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, well 184 lbs could be rounded up (or down) to 185-180. Do that 10 times. Then after the rest, and it's squats again, just do 9, and repeat.

With this, you do 10 minutes of cardio to warm-up, and I seriously doubt you'd want to do cardio after, but maybe 10-15 mins after. Good luck!

Ok, if I understand correctly, start with 10, then work your way down to 1, then right back up to as many as can do. Basically, decrease by 1 after each triset, starting at 10, down to 1, then increase by 1 for each triset going back up. What do you go for on the other 3 days? Work with weights on whatever muscle/s are lagging??

later
    Scott

Determination and Drive
    God Bless

I use it for recovery, or just light cardio and calves.

jrdnufc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    holy crap.. that triset workout kicked my ass. got down to 2, threw in some planks at the end and felt like puking. doesnt matter though, i loved it. thanks nick

no problem! Congrats on the good work. You'll get to finish by the end of the week.

Did enjoy it!! Went down to 1 and stopped there cause had to give blood tonight and I wanted to get there on time. Only did 135 for squats and I don't do full squats either when I do squat. Added pushups in to go with it. Finished off with 15 dumbbell shrugs with 100's.

later

Scott

Determination and Drive
    God Bless

muzzey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tri-set this:
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps

hey m8 am a bit confused sorry but do u mean do 3 sets of chin ups doing ten of them then go onto 3 sets of 10 dips the 3 sets of squats then drop a set or just 1 set of each then lower it?
    Don't go through life. Grow though life
    Protein is were its at lads !

Originally Posted by muzzey View Post
    Tri-set this:
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps

hey m8 am a bit confused sorry but do u mean do 3 sets of chin ups doing ten of them then go onto 3 sets of 10 dips the 3 sets of squats then drop a set or just 1 set of each then lower it?
    No, 1 set of 10 for chins then
    1 set of 10 dips then
    1 set of 10 squats.

rest 2 mins tops
    then do it again, subtracting 1 from each. repat

totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) totransform has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tri-set this:
    Rest 1-2 mins tops
    chin-ups- 9 reps
    dips-9 reps
    squats-9 reps
    Hi Nick,

Sounds like a quality workout.

Basically, I am going travelling for a year at the start of September and I want to be ripped to shreds before I go, so this sounds like a quality workout and one that I can take with me and do on my travels, BUT... how much size will I put on? Im 5'9" and at 170, I don't want to gain any more size whatsoever, just want to get leaner. In your experience would this be a wise workout to follow?

Yes, the ability of you gaining size as much or more size than the standard hypertorphy workout isn't there. You CAN gain muscle mass, but you will most likely see a drop in b.f. percentage faster than hypertrophy.

muzzey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok thanks a lot Nick cant wait to give it ago
    Don't go through life. Grow though life
    Protein is were its at lads !

gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Cutting Workout.

Hey guys I?m no expert but this is what helped me get from 189lb at over 25% body fat to a solid 159lb so far at around 10.5% +/- 0.5% in 4 months. This is not great by any means but I made some pretty foolish mistakes which I have learnt to rectify. Furthermore, over the course of this workout I have gained strength and even look a bit bigger in some body parts. Please remember to push yourself to the max in each workout and try to have a spotter to help you get the required reps even with an increase in weight.

Well for the first 8 weeks you need to; Train a minimum of 3 times a week. Ideally you should do 4. Remember to use proper form and intensity; make sure you have a spotter on hand to help you get the extra reps. Make sure you rest around 45 seconds between each set. Each workout should last around 50 minutes, to give optimal hormone surges. For abdominal exercises you can change the Friday session once every 2 weeks to a gruelling abs session. This abs session will be posted at the end.

Monday: Back and Triceps.

Cable Rows 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each set.
    Wide-grip lat pull downs 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each set.
    Bent over barbell rows 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each set.
    One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.

Close-Grip Bench Press (reverse grip) 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each set.
    Weighted Bench Dips. 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight on your upper legs each set.

Wednesday: Chest and Biceps.
    On all chest exercises alternate between Dumbbells and Bars. For the first 6 weeks use bars then go to dumbbells.

Flat bench press 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Incline bench press 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Decline bench press 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Cable cross-over?s 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.

Close-grip EZ bar Preacher curl 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Concentration Curl?s 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.

Friday: Biceps and Triceps. (This is the extra day that you can choose to dismiss)

Close-grip EZ bar Preacher curl 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.
    Concentration Curl?s 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each time.

Close-Grip Bench Press (reverse grip) 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing the weight each set.

Sunday: Legs, Traps, Shoulders.

Leg Press 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Leg Extensions 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Calf Press on the Leg Press Machine 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Barbell Squat?s 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.

Dumbbell shrugs 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.

Arnold Dumbbell Press 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Bent over dumbbell rear delt raises 3-4 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.
    Front Dumbbell raise 3 sets of 10 reps steadily increasing weight each set.

Well done! 8 weeks are over now you only have 4-8 more to go depending on how shredded you want to get. So this time you want switch about your rest times to around 2 minutes (120 seconds) and your reps to 4-6, with 2 sets per exercise, and make sure above all you go as HEAVY as you possibly can for at least 4 reps on each exercise. Remember to use strict form as well. Each workout should last around 50 minutes again for optimal hormone surges. Remember also to warm up each body part once and only once to get the blood flowing so that maximum effort and weight can be applied.
    So here are the last few weeks.

Monday: Back and Triceps.
    Warm up your Back with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Cable Rows.
    Cable Rows 2 sets of 4-6 reps as heavy as you can!
    Wide-grip lat pull downs 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as you can!
    Bent over barbell rows 2 sets of 4-6 reps as heavy as you can!
    One-Arm Dumbbell Row 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as you can!

Warm up your Triceps with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Close-grip Bench Press (reverse grip)
    Close-Grip Bench Press (reverse grip) 2 sets of 4-6 reps as heavy as you can!
    Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension 2 sets of 4-6 reps as heavy as you can!
    Weighted Bench Dips. 2 sets of 4-6 reps as heavy as you can!

Wednesday: Chest and Biceps.
    On all chest exercises alternate between Dumbbells and Bars. For the first 4 weeks use bars then go to dumbbells.
    Warm up your Chest with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Flat bench press.

Flat bench press 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Incline bench press 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Decline bench press 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Warm up your Biceps with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Dumbbell Alternate Bicep curls.

Close-grip EZ bar Preacher curl 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Concentration Curl?s 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curls 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Friday: Biceps and Triceps. (This is the extra day that you can choose to dismiss)
    This can also be swapped for the abdominal session below.

Warm up your Biceps with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Dumbbell Alternate Bicep curls.

Close-grip EZ bar Preacher curl 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Concentration Curl?s 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Warm up your Triceps with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Tricep extensions.

Close-Grip Bench Press (reverse grip 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Decline EZ Bar Tricep Extension 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Sunday: Legs, Traps, Shoulders.

Warm up your Legs with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Leg press.

Leg Press 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Leg Extensions 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Calf Press on the Leg Press Machine 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Barbell Squat?s 1 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Warm up your Traps with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Barbell shrugs.

Dumbbell shrugs 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Warm up your shoulders with moderate weight 10 reps then 8 reps on Arnold Dumbbell Press?

Arnold Dumbbell Press 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Bent over dumbbell rear delt raises 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!
    Front Dumbbell raises 2 sets of 4-6 as heavy as possible!

Abdominal Exercise which can be performed on Fridays, instead of Biceps and Triceps.

Cable Crunch 3 sets 12-20 reps pyramid, ensure to increase the weight steadily each set.

Decline Crunches with plate on chest 3 sets 10-15 reps, increase weight each set and add a twist at the end to target your obliques.

Reverse Crunches 3 sets of 10-15 reps for added weight add a dumbbell but ensure you have perfect technique before adding weight to avoid injury.

Scissor kicks 3 sets of 15 kicks with each leg. Ensure that your form is also perfect on this exercise.

Cardio, try to keep it as low as possible and only do it on non-workout days, preferably in the evening to speed up the slow afternoon metabolism.

Diet; keep it clean with lots of protein good fats and complex carbs. Make sure every week you assess your progress and decrease your daily calories by around 100 each day. This process is steady and slow. But it works.

During this workout you can expect to lose Fat and gain strength. With the correct calorie intake you can even slightly increase the visual size of your muscles. You will also increase definition.

Make sure you log all lifts so that you can try to improve each week, remember every workout must be treated with full intensity especially after the first 8 weeks.

And in answer to the bonus question, it is coming up to the end of my 1st year of bodybuilding in September (I really only properly started in January) so I think I?ll bulk now until next summer with good clean weight then cut.

Hope this helps.
    Bodybuiliding its a lifestyle, not a hobbie.
    If you fell down yesterday, Stand up today!

DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarkGrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool

Getting Cut for Summer
    Showing Off Winter's Hard Work

So many people this time of year start to fret about looking good on the beach, showing off all of that hard work you did while bulking for the last 3 months. Many people consider getting cut to be one of the hardest things to do, but in actuality, it's not that bad.

One thing I have always been an advocate of while cutting was keeping it simple. There is no reason to be doing upsidedownweightedcablecrossoverswithaplateonyourf ace. I based this workout off of a barebones rippetoes template, and added in everything that a summer cut demands.
    (Exercise) - (sets)x(reps)

Day 1
    5min Static Stretching
    Barbell Squat - 4x8
    Incline Bench Press - 4x8
    Standing Calf Raises - 3x12
    Lat Pulldowns - 4x8
    Power Cleans - 3x5

Day 2
    5min Static Stretching
    Deadlifts - 3x5
    Military Press - 4x8
    Lunges - 4x8
    Seated DB Shoulder Press - 4x8
    Hanging Leg Raises - 3x10
    EZ Bar Curl - 4x8
    Weighted Decline Crunches - 3x10

Day 3
    5min Static Stretching
    Incline DB Press - 4x8
    Leg Extensions - 4x8
    Seated Cable Row - 4x8
    Barbell Squat - 4x8
    Concentration Curl - 4x8
    Skull Crushers/Lying Tricep Extension - 4x8

This workout is designed around basic Rippetoe principals and taking it one step further. The workout's basic compound movements are early on in the workout to get the blood flowing and maximize the rest of the workout. I've found that while sticking to the (extended) basics you keep mass and add definition.

Most cutting workouts tend to run on the longer side due to the amount of accessory work, and this workout is no exception. You will find it somewhat shorter than most, however. Some people may not find the compound movements in this workout desirable and unecessary, but they help keep slabs of muscle throughout an intense cut.

Yes, like most people I do cut for summer, who can resist showing off hard work in the sun? I typically follow the workout I outlined above, and have had great results and an increase in definition and even added some mass while lowering body fat. I start my cut late April and continue into late June before I begin another bulking phase.
    hai bra

hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hot_stuff007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Get cut workout !

1)Best workout to get cut?
    Before i outline my workout here,i must warn u,that it WILL NOT work without proper nutrition.It just won't,as nutrition is
    half the battle.In a nutshell,eat clean i mean real clean for at least 6 days a week.Keep protein intake high, well spread
    over all the meals,and stick to complex carbohydrates.(For me sweet patato works like a charm).Lastly,listen to your
    bodies need.Everyone is different.Hence ,if u feel depleted periodically increase calorie by 25-30 g of carb.Look at the
    mirror and adjust accordingly,bcoz its the best way to gauge your progress as compared to a weight scale.

On to the Workout.
    a) Cardio - its of paramount importance in gettin ripped,just ask DEXTER! So whats a good cardio workout to loose
    bodyfat in d fastest manner?Here's what i did with much success.

25 mins of joggin in a park or treadmill.(3 times a week)
    Timing? Early mornin,right after waking up in d morning,on an empty stomach,with a good fat burner(optional) or just a
    small glass of iced lemon tea. Why morning? Due to glycogen depletion in body,the body makes use of fats as primary
    energy source.
    Pace?(Aha,pay attention now!) 1) 5 min slow jog.. to get d body warm and comfortable.
    2) Next 15 mins,keep alternating between 30 seconds fast sprints,accompanied by 90
    seconds medium pace jog.(a pace where you're able to talk,but it feels uncomfortable)
    Keep doing this repeatedly for 15 mins,or u can't do anymore.
    3)Lastly 5 mins of normal pace jog and warm down.

Well that was just PART 1,PART 2 is gym workout(3 times a week)

Monday(Back,chest,Shoulders)

Incline Bench press - (8-10 reps) x 3 sets
    Dumbell flyes/Pec Deck machine (alternate btw them) - (12-15 reps) x 4sets
    Wide-grip Lat pulldown(front/back) - (8-10 reps) x 3 sets
    Seated back row - (12-15reps) x 4 sets
    Military press - (8-10 reps) x 3 sets
    Side lateral raises/Front dumbell raises(alternate weekly) - (12-15 reps) x 4sets
    Standing calf raise/Seated calf raises - (15 reps - 4 sets)

Wednesday(Legs,Arms, Abs)

Barbell Squats (8-10reps) x 3sets
    Leg extensions/Leg curls(Alternate them!) (12-15 reps) x 4 sets
    Alternate Dumbell curls (8-10reps) x 2sets
    Preacher Curls(the bomb!) - (12-15 reps) x 2sets
    Rope pulldowns - (12-15 reps) x 3 sets
    Weighted ab machine - (15 reps x 3 sets) .. Why? Bcoz definition of abs are gained by the cardio and diet..so this
    exercise helps bring out the abs..

Friday(Purely body weight exercises)
    Why? Keeps the blood circulating to muscle groups that gives that hardbody look.(like athletes,trust me)

Push ups x 2 sets
    Wide grip pull-ups x 2sets
    Close hand chin-ups x 2 sets
    Lunges x 2 sets
    Bodyweight squats x 2 sets
    Abdominal Crunches x 3 sets
    -- All exercises are done till failure or till muscle is pumped --

* PACE & WEIGHT ? (for workouts on Monday and Wednesday)
    As u'd already realised i always couple a compound movement with an isolation one,bcoz gettin cut isn't
    abt just loosin fats,but also having the muscles to show beneath it.
    -- For compound movements, WEIGHT- Medium-heavy(not too heavy though)
    PACE - Go in a piston like fashion,in a non-stop manner till d set is completed.

--For isolation exercises, WEIGHT- Light-medium(not too light)
    PACE - Slow and steady.At peak contraction,hold the position for 1-2 secs & feel
    the stretch.

2)What kind of results can u expect from this workout?
    In a 4 week,period,if everything follows plan, one shoud be able to loose a realistic 3% -4% bodyfat reduction.
    Plus,if nutrition and diet is sound,one can expect around 1-2 pounds of quality mass.

3)Drawbacks of this workout?
    So far i know none.. Just that since one doesn't deal with really heavy weight here,you may itch to opt for heavier
    weights or even wanna train more.. BUT REMEMBER, the OBJECTIVE of this training is to get cut and ripped.
    Hence,stick to it and don't over do it!

4)Do i get cut for the summer?
    Not really.. I'm from Malaysia(below Thailand),and its summer here 24/7 . Though my body is slackin now(due to
    exams), as an atlete years back,i use to be cut most of the time

== P.S - Dissatisfied with something i said?Wanna comment on the article? Feel free to e-mail me at
    lachlach86@hotmail.com ==

Try it out,and Good luck!

Originally Posted by hot_stuff007 View Post

On to the Workout.

Timing? Early mornin,right after waking up in d morning,on an empty stomach,with a good fat burner(optional) or just a
    small glass of iced lemon tea. Why morning? Due to glycogen depletion in body,the body makes use of fats as primary
    energy source.
    Pace?(Aha,pay attention now!) 1) 5 min slow jog.. to get d body warm and comfortable.
    2) Next 15 mins,keep alternating between 30 seconds fast sprints,accompanied by 90
    seconds medium pace jog.(a pace where you're able to talk,but it feels uncomfortable)
    Keep doing this repeatedly for 15 mins,or u can't do anymore.
    3)Lastly 5 mins of normal pace jog and warm down.

I don't want you or anyone to think I'm replying because of the contest.

I am replying because I feel that doing any kind of exercise BEFORE breakfast will only catabolize muscle. Any noticeable weight loss will be from muscle, or glycogen and the stored water in said substances. On top of that, the stored glycogen (in one pound) can hold up to 3-4 lbs of water, so of course, if you fast and work out, you've easily burned through that glycogen, and thus losing not just the one lb, but up to 4 more as well.

It's great you want to help people, and I applaud your effort. Good luck.

jbarbera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

could it be the squats

i just did the tri set exercise today, but instead of doing squats with weight i did just my body weight (i did it 20x, then 18. then 16, and so on) i have to say maybe halfway through i really wasnt feeling anything, so i added 20 lbs to my pullups and dips, still didnt feel enough pain, so i made it 40 lbs on the pull ups and dips, still not enough so at the 5th set i decided to cut down the rest time, instead of the 1 min - 2 min, i did 15 - 30 sec, at the end i still had engergy left in me, so i did the same amount as the first set on my last set. then i proceeded to workout my shoulders, after that, i went back, did 20 more pullups, worked out my shoulders again, and then did another 20 pullups (all pullups done in a row, no rest)
    was i not feeling it because of the body weight squats, or is it just that im freakishly strong, haha, im leaning toward the former

Yeah, those weighted squats are killers. And the rest between sets is 2 minutes MAXIMUM.

Have another go at it with those tweeks, and let me know how it goes!
    Thanks for the feedback!

gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gigolojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hot_stuff007 View Post
    energy source.
    I kinda agree with Nick, I personally feel that since switching to doing cardio in the morning i seem to lose lean mass and even gains weight some weeks. As I have mentioned in my workout I believe cardio should be done in the afternoon to elevate your metabolism when it is naturally at its slowest, I found this worked far better for me for getting rid of fat while preserving as much lean mass as possible.

If you dissagree please look at the research carried out in the university of southern mississippi that the group of males who trained in the PM group had a far greater reduction in percentage bodyfat (-4%) compared to the AM group who actually increased in body fat(+1%). This they believed was down to as I've mentioned elevating you metabolism when it normall starts to decrease. This research was pulled out of June 2008 Muscle and Fitness British edition.

Hope this helps people.
    Bodybuiliding its a lifestyle, not a hobbie.
    If you fell down yesterday, Stand up today!