murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best way to train grip strength...

I know you're all going to say deadlifts, but I have a pair of grip strengtheners at home, but I can squeeze countless reps out of them. I was thinking, would it be better to grip it shut for a minute straight, release, do the other arm, then repeat? I think it'll help me with my deadlift, and also in countless arm wrestling matches against friends.

qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50) qweasd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    heavy curling and heavy deadlifting . no more smooth training .

Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    also weighted chinups are good

murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Basically I do Mark Rippetoes, but I've gotten to the point of adding the dips and chin ups, and also some extra bicep work. I only tread lightly though, 2 sets of 10. Should I make one day a week a heavy bicep curl day, doing single arm curls for 4-5 reps? Also, I was wondering if it was ok to use the grip strengtheners everyday.

thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10) thael is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get stronger grips. I can't remember the website but there's a company that makes some truly disgusting sets of them.

Other than that - Dead Lift, Shrugs, carrying weights to and from the racks. That **** all helps to varying degrees.
    Current Supplements:
    ON 100% Whey: Extreme Chocolate
    GNC P(ricetag)ro Performance Creatine Monohydrate
    GNC Fish Body Oils 1000mg (deodorized)
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Cuts
    Universal Animal Stak
    Lots of Tuna in Spring Water

Still small, just not as strong as I used to be.

vasja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rope climbing. if it is too easy then add some weight.
    Last edited by vasja; 05-20-2008 at 05:29 AM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by murphyx500 View Post
    I know you're all going to say deadlifts, but I have a pair of grip strengtheners at home, but I can squeeze countless reps out of them. I was thinking, would it be better to grip it shut for a minute straight, release, do the other arm, then repeat? I think it'll help me with my deadlift, and also in countless arm wrestling matches against friends.
    Do repetitions.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO the best way to train grip is to train generally is with thicker bars.

Also, wrap towels around your bars when you hold onto them. This makes them much harder to hold on to.

Do towel isometric hangs off a chin-up bar and wrist curls/extensions.

Deadlifts won't help much for your grip as it relates to wrestling imo.

Stop using lifting straps if you use them.

And finally, get a 50 lb sand bag and do a workout with those. They have no handles so doing bentover rows, cleans, bag throws, farmer's carry with them will make your grip strength blow up.

I wrestled for 7 years, trust me, it works and pisses off other wrestlers/buys time to set up moves.
    Chris Brown, CSCS

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UCONN_CSCS View Post
    IMO the best way to train grip is to train generally is with thicker bars.

Good advice...also nobody stated it yet but farmers walks.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    The muscles in your forearms are no different than those in the rest of your body. They grow by being overloaded then repaired. Are the clamps overloading them more or less than deads, pulls, curls, etc?

Best way to increase grip strength is to hang from a bar with three of your buddies wearing water soaked parkas hanging on to your back and legs. Hold it for as long as you can.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ElderJefferson View Post
    The muscles in your forearms are no different than those in the rest of your body. They grow by being overloaded then repaired. Are the clamps overloading them more or less than deads, pulls, curls, etc?

Best way to increase grip strength is to hang from a bar with three of your buddies wearing water soaked parkas hanging on to your back and legs. Hold it for as long as you can.
    you mean grippers? they're far more specific than the deads, pulls, and curls; my grip strength was strongest when I was training it directly with grippers, block pinching and wrist rolling.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by murphyx500 View Post
    ...I think it'll help me with my deadlift, and also in countless arm wrestling matches against friends.
    Grippers, thick bars etc are all good but I've found that if you want to improve your grip specifically for deadlifting, then the best grip exercise is timed barbell holds with the same thickness bar as you use for deadlifts. Time sets for the same length of time it takes you to complete a set of deadlifts.
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by powerlifter70 View Post
    Good advice...also nobody stated it yet but farmers walks.
    I mentioned farmer walks, just called them farmer carries and with sandbags, but doing enough weight will test your grip no matter what you carry, lol. Grab your girlfriend by the belt and walk around the mall with her.
    Chris Brown, CSCS

snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My favorite thing, grip training. Grip training is the ultimate in substance over the image thing ( nobody is gonna say "your grip looks really pumped, but hey it's worth the effort! ), and it's really addictive. Consider yourself warned ;-) Well, grip/forearm strength can be divided into: crushing grip, pinch grip, supporting grip/open hand, and wrist strength, and each of these is trained differently, and can be trained dynamically, and statically. Good way to train crushing grip is with barbell finger rolls ( go heavy on these, aim for 1.5x your body weight eventually), heavy grippers ( http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/index.jsp these guys sell a lot of grip toys ) do reps, negs, holds, overcrash, and maybe if you have access a grip machine ( reps, negs, holds, overloads ). Pinch grip strength depends on the thumb strength, dynamically train it with a pony clamp or TTK from Ironmind, statically, holding anything ( like two plates ) between your 4 fingers, and your thumb. Open hand/supporting grip train with farmer's walk, weighted hangs, claw curls, vbar lifts, rolling thunder lifts, and of course thick/fat bar work especially for upper body work, and deadlifts etc. Wrist strength, well wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, rectangular fix, lever lifts ( sledge hammer works real well for these ), wrist roller work with 2" or even 3" roller (http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/WELCOME.html carries excellent wrist rollers ), and steel bending. Work your finger extensors as well, rubber band finger extensions, jar lifts, sand bucket finger extensions etc. Training finger extensors will make your overall grip strength improve, and will go a long way preventing tennis elbow and such. This is by no means a complete list, far from it but it is a good starting point. Last thing don't forget hand massage, I like rotating shot puts 3lb to 6lb for this. rotate them just like you would the Chinese meditation balls. To learn all there is to know about grip training visit www.gripboard.com. Best of luck to you with your grip training!