s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) s0ulja714 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Beef tendon healthy/not healthy for you?

in most Asian cuisines, we tend to include beef tendon in our noodle soups, my question is does anyone know if beef tendon is considered full of cholesterol/fatty/etc. that is unhealthy for the human body, or will eating it be just fine?
    I LOVE BB.

Cheatin is for nancy boys GTJacket's Avatar
    GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GTJacket is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Mmm... I love me some tenderloin. It's just damn expensive to be eating a few times a week. Though to answer your question, yes it is considered a lean cut of meat. As long as you trim the fat around the tenderloin, usually your butcher can do it for you, you should be fine.

For a 3 oz (raw with 1/4" fat left on) piece here are the nutritional facts:

Calories 179
    Calories from Fat 79
    Total Fat 8.8g
    Saturated Fat 3.3g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3.4g
    Cholesterol 71mg
    Sodium 52mg
    Total Carbohydrates 0.0g
    Protein 23.6g

For future reference great site to find nutritional info is http://www.calorie-count.com

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NOT tenderloin - tendon - that's not a typo...

http://www.chinatown-online.com/recipe/tendon.htm

... as to the nutrition info ...
    Q: Can you provide the nutritional analysis for beef tendon?
    A: Beef tendon is used in some Vietnamese, Korean and Thai dishes, but this question had me stumped — I couldn't find the nutrient analysis after searching several databases, including that of the USDA. So I asked registered dietitian Caroline Margolis with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association for help. She said: "There is no data on the nutritional value of beef tendon, but we do know the tendon is made up of tough, fibrous protein, so while it is very high in protein, it is probably not a highly nutritious food." Tendons are the fibrous bands that attach muscle to bone, and cooking the tendon will cause some softening, but it is "tremendously hard to break down the fibers due to its need for strength."
    Last edited by in10city; 01-14-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

bthornnrn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

it's good for you

Tendon is quite low in fat and very high in protein: according to fatsecret.com, a 100 gram serving has half a gram of fat and 36.7 grams of protein.