Hardgainer AND Hardloser FrostFox's Avatar
    FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrostFox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cardio and Lower Body Workout Woes...

I'm having quite a serious problem.

I cannot do my preferred cardio of choice (stationary bike) the day after I do a lower body workout. Sometimes, two days after. The DOMS just makes it impossible. Normally, I bust out a few miles no problem during my 40 minute routine, but today I found myself pushing my legs down with my arms to turn the wheel until I realized that maybe it isn't such a good idea

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Has anyone found a solution besides a day of rest before resuming cardio after a lower body workout?

I recover very slowly (though I don't take creatine or any other supplements, besides protein shakes), so I'm not sure how people do cardio every day + weights 3 times a week, for example...

Thanks!
    FrostFox's "Girls run from me because I'm fat" Fat Loss/Strength Gain log ^_^
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3920883
    I'm Back in Business Baby!

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've stopped using my exercise bike completely because even though I have huge quads, I can't push hard enough to get a good cardiovascular workout using just my legs.

Perfect solution requiring no extra equipment:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6152131
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do your cardio immediately after leg training while you're already warm and before any soreness has a chance to set in.

Do active recovery cardio (low intensity, like brisk walking) the day after lower body, to get the muscles warm, loose and increase bloodflow to help recovery.

Utilize massage and stretching whenever possible to keep things loose.

Take a good half hour after lifting for cool down and stretching time.

Doing these things, I never have to deal with DOMS.

db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    you can do what I do, and swim after leg days for cardio. The previous suggestion also was good to do your cardio directly after legs, low intensity is good but if the duration is too long you will be missing out on an important post work out meal/shake.

dba has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do the same as mpipes --

My legs used to be sore for 5 days after leg day. Now I do 30 minutes on the step mill as soon as I finish my leg workout, and they might feel a bit sluggish for the next couple of days, but no DOMS. Counterintuitive, but cardio is the only thing that keeps the DOMS away for my body.