Thread: Carpal Tunnel

RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carpal Tunnel

After about 7 months of lifting I think I've developed my first injury

It started around a week ago. I wake up every single night, sometimes multiple times, with my hands numb. Specifically my pinky and ring fingers. Sometimes one hand, sometimes both.

Now in addition, the top of my right hand hurts when I bend it in certain ways. This sounds an awful lot like carpal tunnel.

What can I do to treat this and keep lifting safely?

DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I went to the doctor, and the only option besides surgery is taking Ibuprofen (NSAID) 800mg a day for 2 weeks and wear those things that lock your wrist in place all night (as much as you can during the day as well). For the 2 weeks you can't do any lifting or any computer activity unless you use a ball mouse (the one where your wrist doesn't move) and I don't think you can type either

*be careful with the Ibuprofen 800mg a day, it can harm your stomach and I had to drop the dose down and stop a few times because my stomach was killing me at night

After the first time of doing this for carpal tunnel, mine rarely comes back, and only after ALOT of repetitive wrist activity, never comes form lifting only from computer usage
    Last edited by DustinL; 05-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If it is the 4th and 5th fingers, then it is more likely the ulnar nerve and hence not carpal tunnel sydnrom (this affects the median nerve)

The problem can be in the wrist, just in a different spot, and/or in the neck and/or along the nerve from neck to fingers.

It may be a form of thoracic outlet syndrome, and this can be helped by stretching the front of the chest and some neck muscles.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) UCONN_CSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, it's not carpal tunnel if its your pinky and ring finger. It could be at the wrist, it could be at your cubital tunnel (funny bone) or it could be at your shoulder (thoracic outlet) pinching the subclavian or shoulder impingement syndrome. If it's bilateral (both hands) I would say it's probably at the shoulders or spine. Definately get it checked out. It can get worse if you wait too long.
    Chris Brown, CSCS

RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RM36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna get an appointment with a Neurologist I guess.