El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Angry I cannot get my lower back to not round on deadlift!

Hey all,

No matter what I try, I cannot get my lower back to be perfectly straight when I deadlift; there's always a really slight curve right above my hips. It's straight most of the way, but right above the hips it starts to curve slightly (but enough for me to notice easily).

I've tried squatting down lower with no luck, and I make sure to keep my chest as high as I possibly can. I also look forward, squeeze my glutes, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure it has to be a flexibility issue, but an issue with what? I don't feel any strain in my hamstrings at all; in fact, I don't feel a strain in any of my muscles. Maybe it's the hip flexors? Maybe it's the hamstrings but I just don't feel it?

What should I be looking for? I know I'm doing all the correct things for form, like keeping the bar against the shins, keeping the chest up, big breath, etc etc.

What can the problem be? I'm so confused. I don't seem to have a problem with lower back rounding if I squat just below parallel.

My hamstrings are retardedly inflexible, I guess it has to be them. I've been stretching them daily for the past month and have improved, but still. I can touch my toes if I strain a hell of a lot, but I can touch them pretty easily after I exercise. Stupid hamstrings...I never thought I'd have to be flexible to lift weights.

Any thoughts, or did I answer my own question?

bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bmar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just look up at the ceiling. lift your head a bit. not too much where your extending your neck back but just enought where you have to shift your back. keep your head up and look up the entire rep.

i had your same problem too and it worked lol

Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fairplay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bmar22 View Post
    just look up at the ceiling. lift your head a bit. not too much where your extending your neck back but just enought where you have to shift your back. keep your head up and look up the entire rep.

i had your same problem too and it worked lol
    x 2. Keeping your head up is essential and roll your shoulders back too.

Maybe you're using too much weight? Maybe lower the weight and focus 100% on form.

TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000) TheIronOwl is just really nice. (+1000)
    I believe you have it right, tightness in the hips, glutes, hammies, the area in general.

On option is to do rack pulls (if your squat rack goes low enough) and gradually work your way down. Starting at a height you can maintain your posture then, perhaps dropping a pin a week. I've helped some people with form by start at the top of the motion and working down rather than starting at the bottom working up.
    USAW Level 2 Coach
    CSCS
    Collegiate S&C Coach

Feel free to message me any time for advice or questions.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thisforumsuks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    your issue is lack of core strength, if your core was contracting properly it would press your organs up against your spine, causing it to straighten and stay there.

core work.
    core work.
    core work.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pics or vids would help because it sounds as if you are taking the "keep your back straight" thing too literally. I see people do it all the time, they get discouraged and think their form is off if they aren't perpendicular to the floor when squatting/deadlifting. Your lower back should have a natural curve towards your bellybutton just not sticking out behind you. Your body can easily end up in a 45 degree bend forward, especially during low bar squatting.

If you still have issues and your lower back truly is rounding out, strengthen it along with your hamstrings, they could be the most flexible muscle in your body but if they lack strength it won't matter.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thisforumsuks View Post
    your issue is lack of core strength, if your core was contracting properly it would press your organs up against your spine, causing it to straighten and stay there.

core work.
    core work.
    core work.
    Unless its simly a lack of kinesthetic awareness.

OP... lay prone on the floor. Pick your hands up behind your head. Raise your head a few inches off the ground. Now pick your feet up off the ground.
    Arch hard and hold for a 10 count.

Remember what that feels like... that is how you extend your back.

Vids would be best.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

anonymous

murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murphyx500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know if this is good advice or not, but what does everyone think of him doing some hyperextensions?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...extension.html

legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your lower back is never going to be completely arched perfectly if you're lifting enough weight. Just make sure it's not round like a half-circle. A little bit of rounding is not bad, sometimes it's just the natural curve of your spine.

But if it is rounding too much, make sure your butt is low, and your push out air with your stomach as your drive up with your heels. Make sure your legs are getting the BB off the ground and not your back. It goes legs first then back.
    TYIA

DOLT. has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DOLT. has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DOLT. has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DOLT. has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DOLT. has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've had this same problem with squats and deadlifts. Has your form previously been better than this?

dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Keep your head up and don't try and lift so much.

The problem with deadlifting is that once you have a technique you find youself able to progress in giant steps quite rapidly. Then one day you realise your form is **** and about to injure you.

The moral of the story? Always take care of your form when deadlifting. Don't hurry the strength gains. Train, eat and rest properly and they will come.

TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500)
    My form isn't that good ethier man, its just a tough exercise.
    Even with something as low as 160lbs I have a hard time keeping my back tight and not rounding.
    I guess just keep practicing on form and adding weight SLOWLY don't force another 50lbs onto the bar if you can't lift it up right. I went from 135lbs to a 240 dead lift rather fast and lately have gone back down in weight a bit to work on form. Its a really hard exercise but its worth it, at least I hope so.

El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) El_varouza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi thanks for the replies everybody. Sorry it took so long to get back here.

@DJAuto: I've read those links multiple times; they are very helpful.

Anyway, I think tightening the abs may help; I hadn't thought of that before. Strengthening my core will certainly help. I can tell on the heavy deadlifts that my back really wants to bend and I really have to be conscious to keep it straight.

I honestly think I just might be making too much of a problem out of a small thing. I'll definitely keep working on form...it's hard though sometimes without a way to videotape myself.

Also, I've noticed with even no weight, just using a broomstick (at the proper height of course) that my back will really slightly round just above the hips. The majority of my lumbar spine is straight; there's just a really slight round right above the hips. This could just be natural I guess.

When I deadlift I really have to squat down far to keep my back straight. Is this just because of the way my body is shaped (big torso or whatever) or is this something that can be corrected with more flexibility in the hamstrings and hip flexors? When I say "really have to squat down far" I mean to near parallel. Probably at 75 degrees to the ground.

Thanks again for the help

Alright so I can't bring my laptop to the gym to record a video (well I could, but it'd be weird), so here's one of me doing five with a hockey stick at home. Although you can't see where the stick starts from, trust me that it's the right height; I put it where my bruises were from deadlifting earlier.

Also, there's kind of a "lump" on my lower back that might make it look like I'm rounding a bit, but that's just fat or something.

I think they all look good except for #1 actually. My lowering on #4 is awful, but whatever.

Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its not to bad just make sure when you got the weight to stick your chest out and ass out. just those two things help me the most. other then that this artical is great and i post almost every time someone has a question about deads. http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/

Originally Posted by Gainwithfailure View Post
    its not to bad just make sure when you got the weight to stick your chest out and ass out. just those two things help me the most. other then that this artical is great and i post almost every time someone has a question about deads. http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadli...per-technique/
    Yea I'm a big fan of stronglifts.

I feel sometimes like I'm sticking my chest out too much or something if that makes sense. Sometimes when I get done my upper back will kind of ache from me trying to raise my chest so much!

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    stretch your hamstrings
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel