Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Watch the triangle brah JAGERBOY's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 40932
    JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit JAGERBOY's BodySpace

If my shin was chipped/broke how swollen would it be?

You guys think it would be super blown up or not so much?
    "If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult -- some odd group that is not really interacting with the world"- Evangelical Bible scholar Bruce Waltke

Stats: 6'4", 227 lbs
    BodyPoints: 7318
    Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Takuan's BodySpace
    It can be, here's a test for lower leg fractures. You need two people.

Percussion test: Lay down on the table, face down, and have the suspected leg bent at 90 degrees where it's pointing in the air. Now youkeep your foot flat, and have someone tap your heal, if that hurts in the shin, you may want to get it checked out.

Note: start light, then gradually increase the tapping pressure.

Compression test: squeeze your fibula and tibia together above and below the fracture site (start lightly!) with two hands (one above, one below) This works best with 2 people. and if your leg hurts like hell at the same spot in both tests, go get an x-ray.

Edit: found a video about another test called Pott's compression test:
    http://blip.tv/file/128410

Remember, start out really light, if they end up squeezing really hard, it could do some damage. and keep all your leg muscles relaxed, have them hold your foot up during the first test.
    Last edited by Takuan; 05-13-2008 at 06:56 PM.

JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) JAGERBOY has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by Takuan View Post
    It can be, here's a test for lower leg fractures. You need two people.

Percussion test: Lay down on the table, face down, and have the suspected leg bent at 90 degrees where it's pointing in the air. Now youkeep your foot flat, and have someone tap your heal, if that hurts in the shin, you may want to get it checked out.

Note: start light, then gradually increase the tapping pressure.

Compression test: squeeze your fibula and tibia together above and below the fracture site (start lightly!) with two hands (one above, one below) This works best with 2 people. and if your leg hurts like hell at the same spot in both tests, go get an x-ray.

Edit: found a video about another test called Pott's compression test:
    http://blip.tv/file/128410

Remember, start out really light, if they end up squeezing really hard, it could do some damage. and keep all your leg muscles relaxed, have them hold your foot up during the first test.
    Thanks for the vid, I wasn't sure what you were saying in the second test.
    "If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult -- some odd group that is not really interacting with the world"- Evangelical Bible scholar Bruce Waltke

Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kozma has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would think if you broke your shin you wouldnt have to ask if you did.

Originally Posted by Kozma View Post
    Hope so.

dont forget breath ArmbarTapout's Avatar
    Stats: 6'1", 210 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8351
    ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ArmbarTapout's BodySpace
    you'd think so. I've knocked shins when sparring before and my shin swelled up so much it look like I peeled the skin pack and shoved a baseball in there. No joke. Every step I took would shake it and my whole leg would throb. Took it 3 weeks to go down back to normal.
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Stats: 6'1", 270 lbs
    Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Harrowlled's BodySpace
    If it's a hairline, or even a small chip, you might not know right away. I've broken my arm twice, the only reason I knew it was broken the second time was because it was a compound fracture. The bone was pushing the skin out of my forearm.
    Kung Fu saved my life.

Jesus Christ saved my soul.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing." -Amalgamized Quote

Originally Posted by ArmbarTapout View Post
    you'd think so. I've knocked shins when sparring before and my shin swelled up so much it look like I peeled the skin pack and shoved a baseball in there. No joke. Every step I took would shake it and my whole leg would throb. Took it 3 weeks to go down back to normal.
    Thats what happened last week, except my shin hit his knee. Its not really that swollen but its very sensitive to the touch. Tonight when I was rolling I clanked knees with some dude and it swole up a little bit. Hurt sooooooooo bad. I can walk on it just fine, its just when I touch it that it hurts.

Stats: 6'4", 227 lbs
    BodyPoints: 7318
    Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Takuan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Takuan's BodySpace
    There was a football player that a cervical neck fracture and had no clue, only some sore neck muscles. Almost killed him.

Obviously a shin won't kill you (unless you hit a tibial artery or some god awful ****) but if it is a hairline, it's a hell of a structural instability, and you could end up 8 weeks with no training as opposed to 2 weeks of light training if it is a hairline.

How'd those tests go?

Stats: 6'1", 270 lbs
    Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Harrowlled has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Harrowlled's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by JAGERBOY View Post
    Thats what happened last week, except my shin hit his knee. Its not really that swollen but its very sensitive to the touch. Tonight when I was rolling I clanked knees with some dude and it swole up a little bit. Hurt sooooooooo bad. I can walk on it just fine, its just when I touch it that it hurts.
    Sounds like a deep bruise to me. Has it gotten a dark brown color yet? That's how mine've looked.
    Kung Fu saved my life.

Jesus Christ saved my soul.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing." -Amalgamized Quote

Originally Posted by Takuan View Post
    There was a football player that a cervical neck fracture and had no clue, only some sore neck muscles. Almost killed him.

Obviously a shin won't kill you (unless you hit a tibial artery or some god awful ****) but if it is a hairline, it's a hell of a structural instability, and you could end up 8 weeks with no training as opposed to 2 weeks of light training if it is a hairline.

How'd those tests go?
    My friend did that test in the video and it didn't hurt anymore than expected. It didn't feel broke, although Im not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Harrowlled View Post
    Sounds like a deep bruise to me. Has it gotten a dark brown color yet? That's how mine've looked.
    A tiny bit, not too much. Swelling went down a bit to.

tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm guessing you don't have health insurance. But in all honesty ...if you think your leg is broken you should get an X-ray.
    Also if you do have a hairline fracture you don't want to risk a full break by over training.

Originally Posted by tabloid View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have health insurance. But in all honesty ...if you think your leg is broken you should get an X-ray.
    Also if you do have a hairline fracture you don't want to risk a full break by over training.
    Yeah I have health insurance, just don't want to go up there if I don't have to. Ill wait it out for a week and if it doesn't go away I'll get an xray.

tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tabloid has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is not a dig at the OP, but I'll never understand people who have h.i. but don't go to the doctor.

Originally Posted by tabloid View Post
    This is not a dig at the OP, but I'll never understand people who have h.i. but don't go to the doctor.
    Don't have alot of extra time and its not that fun to do.

BodyPoints: 3905
    King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) King Baer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit King Baer's BodySpace
    You probably have a very severe contusion. Generally broken bones are accompanied by bruising (somebody please confirm this---this is my understanding).

Coming from somebody whose shin bones are lumpy and ridged with calcium deposits and dents, having a serious contusion can be extremely painful and can feel like you've broken something. The worst contusion I had swelled up like a baseball on the top of my shin. I then came down with a fever, cold sweats, etc. I actually had to pull out of a fight because I couldn't train or run on it at all. Thought it was broken. This actually happened through a pair of crappy shinguards, too.

I now have a nice little lump on my shinbone from where the contusion was. Do you wear shinguards when you spar?
    Our Arnold, whose arms are heavy,
    Vascular be thy veins
    Nine sets of lunges, ten reps be done,
    To add girth as it is to strengthen.
    Give us this day our daily protein, and forgive us our fats,
    As we forgive those who eat fat too.
    And lead us not into overtraining, nor deliver us pizzas,
    For thou art the king of the dumbell, the power clean, and the steroids forever,
    Amen.

Gimpin' ain't easy

Stats: 5'10", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 20992
    joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) joelz54_99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit joelz54_99's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by JAGERBOY View Post
    Yeah I have health insurance, just don't want to go up there if I don't have to. Ill wait it out for a week and if it doesn't go away I'll get an xray.
    yeah, I would do the same.
    "my job title is douchebag"- some planet fitness thread

Originally Posted by King Baer View Post

I now have a nice little lump on my shinbone from where the contusion was. Do you wear shinguards when you spar?
    Yes, thats what was amazing about it, when I kicked dudes knee it didn't even feel like I was wearing them though. I don't know if my shin was exposed or it just hit exactly at the right angle but it HURT. When I clanked it again last night, for about 3 minutes I was contemplating going to the ER, then it stopped hurting as much and I started rolling again with my knee pad rolled over my shin.

Stats: 6'1", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 40894
    Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ajuice72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Ajuice72's BodySpace
    If it's chipped you should be alright to keep training when I chipped mine it swole up big time the other day I think my buddy chipped his and it was like a egg growing out of his leg.

dont forget breath ArmbarTapout's Avatar
    Stats: 6'1", 210 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8351
    ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArmbarTapout has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ArmbarTapout's BodySpace
    I dont think it's been mentioned in here, but ice it down. Put a wash cloth between the ice and your shin, never ice directly on the skin. And only leave it on for about 20 minutes. But do that 2-3 times a day to help the swelling go down. If the swelling remains the same after a week or so, that's when I'd start thinking x-ray.
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Yeah I'll ice it down. I wonder whats gonna happen when I kick things tonight.