Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Elbows out - They aren't completly flared, but they are NOT tucked. Not this 45 degree bull****. I have them flared as wide as possible w/o it feeling weird or hurting. It feels natural.
    I go as low as possible w/o touching my chest. I go for the stretch at the bottom and contraction at the top. Don't lock elbows.

I do it this way and have no problem, up to repping for 205lbs. We'll see as time and poundage go up, but this feels natural and powerful.

As with all things in BB though, if it hurts, you probably shouldn't do it. There is a difference between PAIN and SORENESS or being TIGHT.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3341191
    http://www.sfwchan.com
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3732791

Asst. to The Regional Mgr GetFamiliar's Avatar
    GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GetFamiliar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    as the lankiest mofo you have ever met, i have some serious difficulty moving big weight on the bench press. i have always kept my elbows flared and concentrated on the squeeze of the pecs, and despite the light weight i have made pretty substantial progress (though not as much as i'd like).

for me personally, db bench press >> bb bench everytime. it's just a matter of physical structure and preference.
    Last edited by GetFamiliar; 05-13-2008 at 06:23 PM.

legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legendz411 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yea, like I said, it's personal. Flare them as much as you can w/o pain or akwardness in the shoulder. Ideally, they should be as close to 90degrees as possible.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3341191
    http://www.sfwchan.com
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3732791

Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tuck em, your shoulders will thank you.

brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If the elbows being tucked and shoulder safety is really an issue, would it be worth it to buy a nice hammer/tricep bar to bench with.

I'm thinking because of the natural shape and handle placements, your elbows are more naturally tucked.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=212&pid=2468

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    neat bar, don't think I could justify spending that much on any bar though.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brian_07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -Ironside- View Post
    neat bar, don't think I could justify spending that much on any bar though.
    If cost wasn't the issue, that would be a good bar to press with right?

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sure, why not?
    It looks like it could be fun and beneficial for elbow in benchers
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsbcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I let the elbows flow naturally which is about a 45 to 60 degree angle from the body when I am focused mainly on chest and when I want to use more tricep (as with close grip BP) I pull them in tight to the body. In most cases, the closure you have the elbows to your body the more weight you can push because you are useing more of the tricep. I deffinately agree with everyone else that with full flare (as in your av) you leave the shoulder joints very vulnerable especially w/heavy weight. Doing some Dumbell Bench Presses and some Flyes will help strengthen your chest as well.

1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1st RD TKO is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I actually it both ways.
    I'll stay tucked around 45-60 if my shoulders have been giving me problems, and at times I will touch chest and at times I won't.
    If my shoulders are feeling good, I'll keep them flared and only go to around parallel with lighter weights. This lets me really concentrate on squeezing my pecs.
    You can even do the dame thing with db's.

WOCkid23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOCkid23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOCkid23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WOCkid23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so why is one called bodybuilder style and one powerlifter, if elbows out is bad why would bodybuilders do it? jus something that came to mind

DiZASTiX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WOCkid23 View Post
    so why is one called bodybuilder style and one powerlifter, if elbows out is bad why would bodybuilders do it? jus something that came to mind
    I also wanted to ask the same question since I went to that website (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek22.htm).

Originally Posted by dsbcc View Post
    I let the elbows flow naturally which is about a 45 to 60 degree angle from the body when I am focused mainly on chest and when I want to use more tricep (as with close grip BP) I pull them in tight to the body. In most cases, the closure you have the elbows to your body the more weight you can push because you are useing more of the tricep. I deffinately agree with everyone else that with full flare (as in your av) you leave the shoulder joints very vulnerable especially w/heavy weight. Doing some Dumbell Bench Presses and some Flyes will help strengthen your chest as well.
    In all honesty I've never really specifically attempted one form or another. If I do close grid bench presses the elbows come in naturally (otherwise it feels weird for me). Otherwise, for the medium grip bench press, the elbows are just in the "equilibrium" position, unforced to either one extremity or another. I have noticed in the past, that when I lock my shoulder blades, you tend to be in the tucked position somewhat automatically.

In all cases, I have to actually try to get it in the flared position. If that is the case then, it seems like one could compromise: that at the very worst case, simply do whatever is "neutral" (without forcing it into one position or another).

In my situation with medium grip with elbows in the equilibrium position, I have never had any shoulder-related injuries... albeit one time I did hurt my right shoulder (or was it the left? :P) pretty badly doing an upright barbell row... sorta lost balance trying to yield to traffic...

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CPX View Post
    From Eric Cressey's incredible Shoulder Saver Series

If you haven't read the series, it's definitely worth doing

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
    This is the best advice on here...that shoulder saver thing.

If you are trying to build your chest and make it stronger, you have to keep your elbows in. I thought (like so many of you on here) for years that I was supposed to keep my elbows out....especially after seeing so many trainers show people that this is the "right" way to do it. Then I F*#ked my shoulder. And now I can't do any pressing movements other than light dumbell presses. Seriously, I can't stress how important it is to keep your elbows at approximately 45deg. Try it. And yes, this includes things like flys...keep your elbows down on these too and you'll be amazed by the contraction you will get.

So, for those of you that don't want as big or strong of a chest and looooovvvee shoulder pain, keep those elbows out. For the rest of you that are smart enough to keep them a little tucked....enjoy your big strong pecs and injury free shoulders!

KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ldpride View Post
    Tuck em, your shoulders will thank you.
    word. i lifted for 2 years with whatever form (or lack thereof) came naturally, but a month ago when i got to doing 205-225 for reps, my shoulders started crying. fixed my form and took the weights down significantly. my elbows almost touch my ribcage now, but i get 10x better chest workouts with no shoulder pain, so im happy. eff big weight lol
    PhiKappaTau.
    S&P.

dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ive only ever done eblows flared and have never had a shoulder problem

Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000) Moreno13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by porcupinetree View Post
    I flare my elbows, have for many years. No shoulder problems, but I do get very good chest growth.

Following the advice in that Milos video has given me very good results.
    Thats how I train my chest too . I might have to start using tris more .

funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i always did them elbows out and was always disappointed with the small size gains. i started getting twinges in my shoulders so i limited the rom down to 90*. didn't help. some people can do elbows flared without issues, make sure you're one of them before you screw your shoulders up.

i've since switched to the most natural feeling angle for me, which is maybe slightly more flared than 45*. your most natural angle could be different, just listen to your body and do what it tells you.
    finally got back into the weight room today to see where I'm at a lil over a week from the injury. I got good and warm before attempting anything, but I noticed in certain lifts I had to pay extra attention to keep from crapping myself...

-tony_mid

onreii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tuck them in order to relieve the stress on your shoulders. and regarding moving the bar all the way down as it'll touch your chest, of course it will give you more contact with the muscle since the musclefibers will be stretched more. On the other hand it increases the strain on both your pecs and front deltoids dramatically.

strengthening your rotator-cuff as well, like mentioned in the article Eric Cressey wrote for t-nation, is a great advice to keep away from injuries.

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tuck them in slightly. It is obvious it is hurting you. It's like doing behind the neck press. Is it REALLY worth it? Is flaring your elbows that far out stimulating some special part of your chest?

Injuries are very serious.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do flared and flat backed and I always touch my chest, my shoulders are probably my healthiest bodypart; keep your shoulders flexible and you won't have to worry about tucking or the only going to 90 degrees nonsense (this doesn't apply if your shoulders are already bad)
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeartofaLion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    flared out is the definition of fcking up ur rc. do at a high angle around 45-60 based on how much u feel in your shoulders. but tucked in > flared out.
    “You are not what you were born, but what you have it in yourself to be.”
    - Liam Neeson

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not feeling pain doesn't mean your shoulders aren't taking stress. Just wanted to add that for all those who do said dangerous movements and say "if you don't feel pain, keep going". Not the smartest thing to do.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

onreii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by imasavage View Post
    Not feeling pain doesn't mean your shoulders aren't taking stress. Just wanted to add that for all those who do said dangerous movements and say "if you don't feel pain, keep going". Not the smartest thing to do.
    indeed.

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When I was pling and heavier I'd use the MM dynamic method. In short, the bottom 2/3s I would move my elbow out until the top stomach--which it would be at it's maximum angle of around 45 degrees--then as I pressed, I'd slowly tuck them in and have them completely tucked for the top 1/3 to help with the tricep lockout.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.