Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slyonic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Slyonic's Workout Journal

Ok, I started this workout on March 22, 2004. It is a three day split, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, while doing absolutely nothing on the other days but just eating or cardio one day a week. Height: 5 foot 9 inches. Weight: 167 lbs. When counting the weight of Free weight exercises, I count only the plates because I haven't seen any concrete evidence on the weight of the bar.

On Monday, I did Chest Press, Seated Crunches, and Seated Cable rows. All exercises were on machines. I started out as an uniformed lifter. I didn't do warmup sets. I wondered why I wasn't tired and the workout was quick. I didn't do cardio on this day.

Seated Crunches - 5 Sets of 10- 90 lbs

Chest Press - 3 sets of 10 - 135 lbs

Seated Cable Rows - 3 Sets of 10 - 130 lbs

No soreness on Tuesday.

Wednesday rolled around and my stomach was sore. I read up on the Max OT method of lifthing and learned how to warm up in the process, at least warm up the Max OT way. On Wednesday, legs were the target. I now warm up before I do heavy weight.

Straight-leg Deadlifts (Free weights) - 3 Sets of 6 - 70 lbs

Squats (Free weights) - 3 sets of 6 - 125 lbs

Standing Calf Raises - 3 sets of 6 - 210 lbs

Standing Reverse Calf Raises = 3 sets of 6 - 255 lbs

Legs were tired after this day. Decided to do bike for 16 minutes for cardio after. Decided to not do cardio on workout days again once bike was done.

On Thursday, legs were tired and a little sore.

On Friday, legs were very sore and seemed weak. Couldn't run at all.

I'm writing this post pre-workout (today is Friday) and will post again after.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's good to see another journal.

Free weights are always superior to machines.

You should probably do squats before the stiff legged deadlifts.

You only need a couple of warmup sets. You don't need 5 like Max OT outlines.

Thanks for the response. I'll do squats first from now on. I use the machine because I workout by myself and don't want to get stuck with the weight in a bad position.

As for Friday's workout:

Weighted Neck Extension - 3 sets of 6: 10 lb weight plate

Weighted Nect Flexion - 3 sets of 6: 10 lb weight plate

Lever Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 6: 50 lbs

Barbell Curls (Free-weights) - 3 sets of 4: 25 lbs

Bar Dips - 3 sets of 6: no weight added.

On the curls, I don't know how much the weight of the bar is so the poundage is just the weight plates. As I arrived home, the biceps seemed like they didn't get a good enough workout but with the weight I had on I couldn't hit the magic number of 6 reps and keep good form. The neck seems to be tired as that is one muscle I've never worked with weight before.

Will post next workout after I get home from the session.
    Last edited by Slyonic; 03-26-2004 at 10:12 PM.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is a lever shoulder press?

Just do free weights on every exercise that you can safely do them on.

Lever shoulder press is just a shoulder press on a machine. I'm not comfortable with doing all exercises with free-weights yet. I will eventually move to that though, most likely in a couple weeks, when I have 3 weeks of machine work in.

I'm getting my exercises from http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    Last edited by Slyonic; 03-27-2004 at 09:15 AM.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have to agree with Heisman here on machines vs weights. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to make long term gains using only machines.

Working out by yourself as a reason not to use free weights is an excuse. I work out by myself, work to failure often with relatively heavy weights and I NEVER need a spotter. If you know your limits and don't go go beyond them( i.e knowing when to quit and then reracking the weight), you can lift safely with free weights.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Go ahead and start free weight military presses. You won't hurt yourself and you won't get stuck under the weight. Military presses are completely safe unless you do something stupid (drop the bar on your head).

Also make sure you go to the front, not behind your head.

Thanks for your reply. I don't plan to use machines for the long term. The reason I use the machines now is just to get my muscles used to the weight. One of the things that is bothering me at my gym is that most of the machines I want to use are being used by others when I want them. So I have to wait and it adds to my workout time.

This last week was my first real workout week. My muscles are sore as they aren't used to being worked like that. Yesterday, Friday, was my first day doing curls. I couldn't complete a fifth rep on a curl and was only half way through it when I just let it go down and put the bar away. I don't want to be in that position on a Bench Press. I really don't know what my maxes are so I'm still testing that part of it out also.

I do appreciate your replies though. They will help me out as I consider myself a beginner.

Look here if you want to see how my exercises evolved to where they are now.
    Last edited by Slyonic; 03-27-2004 at 01:03 PM.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't know you were a beginner and now I can see why you have the fear that you do, as well as why you are so sore. I don't have a problem with you starting out on machines for the first few weeks if that is how you are comfortable. The problem I often see is that people stay on the machines and do not make the progression to free weights. Its OK to continue with the machines as a way to get your body used to this.

I would caution you to get proper instruction from a trainer at your gym when you start using free weights so you don't develop bad habits or form at the beginning.

For general points to think about on your routine, take a look at my advice in this thread to another beginner a couple of weeks ago:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=237869

Keep everything basic and simple for now. Save the complicated exercises and isolation movements for later.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Just do lots of warmup sets and use light weight so you can feel yourself doing the exercises correctly. If you start light then you should be fine, and you won't have to worry about not completing a rep.

Jocableguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench

Your best bet is to stay light, or you can do what I used to do in my basement when I couldn't do a weight; roll it to your ****che and get up. lol if you really don't want to do that or have someone spot you try the smith machine for little while for bench. Then when you get used to it move to flat bb and stay light till you can get an idea what you can do for that.

I felt as though I was doing light weight when I was doing curls. I only had a 10 and a 2 1/2 on each side and my warmups were going fine. Muscle just said, "Look, I'm doing no more and that's it." Funny part is the first 3 or 4 in each set were easy but the last one or two I could not complete.

Originally posted by Slyonic
    I felt as though I was doing light weight when I was doing curls. I only had a 10 and a 2 1/2 on each side and my warmups were going fine. Muscle just said, "Look, I'm doing no more and that's it." Funny part is the first 3 or 4 in each set were easy but the last one or two I could not complete.
    You just have to keep practicing and learn how your muscles respond and what there limits are. It just takes a little time.

Biceps

I guess this is where I can insert the BUMP to heisman

Jimineye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You will doing heavier weight in no time. Beginners gain fast, be sure to eat well too to keep gains coming.

Today's workout was ok. I switched a few things around. Something was odd about my weight. I weighed in at 177.9 lbs. Either the scale lied last week or this week. But I'll see next Monday. Switched to bent over rows and free weight flat bench press.

Lever Seated Crunches: 3 sets at 6 reps with 90 lbs.

Bent Over Rows: 3 at 6 reps with 70 lbs (Now this bar had weight on each side with 70 on it and the weight could not be changed. It seemed to be premade with the weight attached).

Flat Bench Press: 3 sets at 6, 3, 5 reps with 90 lbs. (this weight had a 45 lb plate on each side and the different rep ranges are due to going to failure. The first 6 reps was without help. The next set I only did 3 reps before failing. The last set of 5 I had help on the least 3 reps from a spotter. Next week will work with less weight).

I like the bent over rows better than the cable seated row. I like the free weight bench press better than the machine but sometimes I would have one arm go higher than the other and other times my arms would swing from front to back.

Last night's workout didn't make me sore. Maybe I'll wait til tomorrow.

Today is Wednesday. I woke up this morning and my chest was sore. I guess I worked it better than I thought on Monday. Well today's workout was for my legs all using free weights:

Smith Machine Squats: 3 sets of 6 reps at 130 lbs. I didn't include the weight of the bar.

Seated Calf Raises (Lever Machine): 3 sets of 6 reps at 110 lbs.

Seated Reverse Calf Raises (Lever Machine): 3 sets of 6 reps at 90 lbs.

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 3 sets of 6 at 80 lbs. Did not include the weight of the bar.

Before finishing the calf workout, my right leg was shaking and it made me laugh. My legs didn't seem as tired as last week but I did feel like I worked harder than last week.

Doing squats on a smith machine is not free weights.

Is there a way for you to do squats without a machine safely?

At the time, the smith machine was the only thing available for me to do my squats on. The power rack and the squat rack were both being used by someone else.

Jimineye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Slyonic
    Last night's workout didn't make me sore. Maybe I'll wait til tomorrow.

Soreness doesn't equate muscle growth, so it's fine if you don't feel sore the next day.

Keep going strong at it man.

Squats

You could have asked to work in with the guy. Good workout anyway. Barbbell squats are great for your legs. Soreness usually means you are not used to the workout, or you overtrained. Sometimes soreness is good, but it can also cause damage of the muscle (overtraining).

How much of a difference is a smith machine from normal free weights?

Smith

Smith machines don't allow for support and stabalizing muscles, limited range of motion, and usually focuses on the muscle you are targeting. I think there are some more, but can't think of them.

Monday's Exercise:

Both are free weight exercises without the weight of the bar.

Flat Bench Press- 3 sets at 6 reps with 90 lbs

Bent Over Rows - 3 sets at 6 reps with 70 lbs

Wednesday April 7, 2004

Exercises and reps all without the weight of the bar.

Squats - 3 sets at 6 reps with 140 lbs

Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 3 sets at 6 reps with 90 lbs

Seated Calf Raises - 3 sets at 6 reps with 115 lbs

Seated Reverse Calf Raises - 3 sets at 6 reps with 100 lbs.

This workout was more intense than last week. I was sweating much more than last week... I wonder if that is normal... I was a little scared to go all the way down on my squats at first but I did it. Today was the first time using the squat rack.

Today was the first day with only two warm up sets before the heavy sets. Will continue with only two warm up sets from now on.
    Last edited by Slyonic; 04-07-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Warm ups

Be careful when you are going heavy. My warm up is basically to see how I feel that day and to map out what I am going to do. Good workout.

Monday April 12, 2004

I missed Friday's exercise so I decided to "make it up" with my Monday exercise. As usual, the weight of the bar is not included. Bad mistake trying to make up exercises as you'll see:

Ab crunch machine: 3 sets of 6 at 85 pounds.

Bicep Curls: 3 sets of 5 at 20 pounds. Curl bar.

Tricep extensions: 3 sets of 6 at 25 pounds. Curl bar.

Bent over row: 3 sets of 6 at 50 pounds. Curl bar.

Smith Machine Military Press: 3 sets of 6 at 40 pounds.

Flat bench press: 3 sets of 3 at 75 pounds.

I thought I was doing my body a favor by making up a missed workout. Well never again will I do that. It really messed up my bench press. I couldn't do warmup weight for 4 reps. Live and learn. Later today I'll post today's workout, legs.

Thursday April 15, 2004

Poundages stated are the amount of the weight plates, the weight of the bar is not included.

Leg day:

Squats (power rack): 3 sets of 6 at 150 pounds.

Stiff legged dead lifts: 3 sets of 6 at 100 pounds.

Seated Calf Raises (machine with free weights attached):
    3 sets of 6 at 130 pounds.

Barbell Reverse Calf Raises (smith machine): 3 sets of 6 at 110 pounds.

Legs were tired after workout.

Monday July 19, 2004

It's been about three months since I've been in the gym. I haven't been totally out of it though. I took a circuit training class at my college this summer to get my cardio in shape. Now that it is over, I am starting to hit the gym again.

Today, the exercises were:

flat bench press: 4 sets at 90 pounds with 6 reps

bent-over dumb bell row: 4 sets at 50 pounds on each bar with 6 reps

crunches: 4 sets of 30 reps

Cardio was playing basketball for about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Slyonic; 07-19-2004 at 09:48 PM.