Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 hour workout routine, geared for strength

I need some critiques of my current workout, my problem is that it is taking too long, upwards of an hour and a half to 2 hours, and I really only have an hour per workout session at ths time. Here is my routine:

Chest
    Bench Press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Decline Bench Press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    "Wings", 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Back
    Pullups, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Rows, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Not sure the name, but I put hands together on a bench bar and pull up to my chin while standing, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Biceps
    Two-handed curls, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Dumbell curls, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus bicep machine, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Triceps
    Two handed tri pushs (on back, bring bar down to forehead and lift), 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus triceps machine, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Rope on pulley press outs, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Shoulders
    Shoulder press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Dumbell fly-outs, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus shoulder raise, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Stomach and legs are not incorporated much due to time constraints.

I am also VERY winded by the end of an hour, I have to do large muscle groups first, but get my wind back during arms.

I do not feel like this is the the ideal routine for strength training, looking for a hard strength routine I can do solo, 3 times a week for approximately an hour. (at this time)

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    why not split it in two and do each have every other day?

M-legs/back/bi

W-chest/delt/tri

Fr-legs/back/bi

M-chest/delt/tri

etc

a typical "strength" routine doesnt have that many exercises and u need more than 1 minute rest for strength purposes
    "Humility comes before honor"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    old school strength routine is like this

squat (could alternate squats one time, deads next)
    bench
    bent row
    military press
    dips
    then add in 1-2 direct arm exercises and abs

6-7 exercises at most....15 exercises per workout is simply way too many

D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10) D1111 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What you are doing is way over kill! try just doing -Flat bench,squats,rows,millitary press,curls and something for triceps if you cant split the workouts up.
    LUCIFER IS MY TRAINING PARTNER.
    ....BENT ROWS TO GROW:)

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think your right this isn't the ideal program for strength. If you limited on time I'd throw in some Olympic lifts to get all those groups with just a couple exercises.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One thing I do have to be careful of is exercises like squats, I have one ruptured disc and a bulging disc. I've had them for years and manage pain ok, which is why I like lifting, I can control the stress the discs receive.

Would hack squats be an ok substitute?

do what u can do....point being, less is usually more

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    old school strength routine is like this

squat (could alternate squats one time, deads next)
    bench
    bent row
    military press
    dips
    then add in 1-2 direct arm exercises and abs

This is more like it for sure.

Doing shoulders after triceps reduces anterior delt growth due pre-fatiguing of the pressers. I believe that not doing legs is less about timing and more about inclination; if big and strong thighs are simply not a priority with you, then fine. But don't avoid squatting, say, simply because it's hard.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    This is more like it for sure.

Doing shoulders after triceps reduces anterior delt growth due pre-fatiguing of the pressers. I believe that not doing legs is less about timing and more about inclination; if big and strong thighs are simply not a priority with you, then fine. But don't avoid squatting, say, simply because it's hard.
    Good little tip Whiskeyjack....

I agree.
    I don't care about massive thighs myself but I do care about overall body strengthening and from what I've learned here squats will always be in my routine.
    I think (first oxymoron for Mothers' Day) many people may start doing squats with too much weight, hence, they think they are to taxing and justify forgetting about their importance in overall body development....but I've been wrong in the past.

A great day to all....
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

But don't avoid squatting, say, simply because it's hard.
    I have two disc problems, I have to be very careful about the pressure I put on my lower back. I have degenerative disc disease, my two lumbar discs shrink over time and I eventually had a rupture. The other one is bulging.

Certain types of activities severely aggravate them, I can try squats again, but I need other options if I cannot do them due to my condition.

bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

That's all you need! Since squats are an issue for you,(I feel your pain on those) try to do DB squats, use straps to hold the db if your grip starts to fail, or try the 1-legged variety, lighter weight, and still hits them ok. I hope this helps you. I was doing this program. Take a look in my journal to get a practical idea of how it's executed. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=106716261

Good luck to you!
    My Beast Sports Nutrition 2Shredded Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156177641#post156177641

I know if I don't have my "special underwear", my workout is shot!!:) -- Hikemike

6 packs are for lightweights and underachievers! I've got the whole keg!

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by vicour View Post
    I have two disc problems, I have to be very careful about the pressure I put on my lower back. I have degenerative disc disease, my two lumbar discs shrink over time and I eventually had a rupture. The other one is bulging.

Certain types of activities severely aggravate them, I can try squats again, but I need other options if I cannot do them due to my condition.
    If that's the case, then don't squat or deadlift, at least not now. You could do some free weight hyperextensions and for legs, leg extensions.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    I usually aim for 15-20 sets total per workout.

Based on the input from this thread, I changed my routine tonight and experimented with what my back could handle:

Bench Press, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Squats, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Stiff-legged deadlifts, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Military press, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    -
    Dips, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Bicep curls, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Laying tricep curls, 3 sets x 6 reps

The gym I work out at (YMCA) has a cabled bench bar, it helps tremendously when doing squats and stiff-legged deadlifts solo. I LOVED the deadlifts, something about that exercise really felt like strength building, working out many muscles at once. Nothing aggravated my back so far.

Whole routine took approximately an hour. Any other bang-for-your-buck exercises out there I may be missing? I still did not do any stomach.
    Last edited by vicour; 05-13-2008 at 05:34 PM.

bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Based on the input from this thread, I changed my routine tonight and experimented with what my back could handle:

Bench Press, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Squats, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    -
    Military press, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    -
    Dips, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Bicep curls, 3 sets x 6 reps
    -
    Laying tricep curls, 3 sets x 6 reps

The gym I work out at (YMCA) has a cabled bench bar, it helps tremendously when doing squats and stiff-legged deadlifts solo. I LOVED the deadlifts, something about that exercise really felt like strength building, working out many muscles at once. Nothing aggravated my back so far.

Whole routine took approximately an hour. Any other bang-for-your-buck exercises out there I may be missing? I still did not do any stomach.
    All of that in 1 session???!!!!!!

I know if I don't have my "special underwear", my workout is shot!!:) -- Hikemike

Yes, timed it right at one hour. Felt really good too, I think I'll change my rotation though to do squats first. My bench feels kinda weak though, I may need to do something else to help chest, unless I'm inadvertantly working chest already with other exercises and don't know it.

Yes, timed it right at one hour. Felt really good too, I think I'll change my rotation though to do squats first. My bench feels kinda weak though, I may need to do something else to help chest, unless I'm inadvertantly working chest already with other exercises and don't know it.
    DUDE! Break that up into smaller workouts. Rest longer between sets, and lift heavier! Do you only have 1 day a week to lift?

No, I plan on doing this 3 times a week if I can recover fast enough. I'd eventually like to do this routine M-W-F.

No, I plan on doing this 3 times a week if I can recover fast enough. I'd eventually like to do this routine M-W-F.
    That's way too much for 3 days a week!

Well, I cut down from 15 exercises to 8, and it felt very manageable. Why is it too much?

Well, I cut down from 15 exercises to 8, and it felt very manageable. Why is it too much?
    With the heavy loads, and the amount of work, it will crash you Central Nervous System quickly! Just be careful and give it some time. Form is crucial on those big lifts. You probably won't be really sore, but that doesn't mean that you are recovered. Be careful. Plus, your tendons may not be ready to handle the load either!

Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I need some critiques of my current workout, my problem is that it is taking too long, upwards of an hour and a half to 2 hours, and I really only have an hour per workout session at ths time. Here is my routine:

Chest
    Bench Press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Decline Bench Press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    "Wings", 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Back
    Pullups, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Rows, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Not sure the name, but I put hands together on a bench bar and pull up to my chin while standing, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Biceps
    Two-handed curls, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Dumbell curls, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus bicep machine, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Triceps
    Two handed tri pushs (on back, bring bar down to forehead and lift), 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus triceps machine, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Rope on pulley press outs, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Shoulders
    Shoulder press, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Dumbell fly-outs, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between
    Nautilus shoulder raise, 6 reps x 3 sets, 1 minute rest between

Stomach and legs are not incorporated much due to time constraints.

I am also VERY winded by the end of an hour, I have to do large muscle groups first, but get my wind back during arms.

I do not feel like this is the the ideal routine for strength training, looking for a hard strength routine I can do solo, 3 times a week for approximately an hour. (at this time)

That's waaaaay over the top!!!

If your into a full body work out you'll have to reduce the exercises to 1 per muscle group to make an hour.

I would recommend you split your routine. Back & bicep, Chest & Tricep, Wednesday off, Legs and stomach, Shoulders & Traps, Saturday and Sunday off.
    Walk in the Light. It's easier to see the Truth there.

That's 4 days a week, I can probably only swing 3 for now. I may split up the 8 exercises into two different days and rotate them every week on alternating Mon/Fri's. The eventual goal is M, W, F for now.
    "The average man thinks he isn't."

Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10) Forced is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok!! How about this.

You split your program into 2. (Push one day & pull with legs the next)

3 sets each.

Monday
    Hanging Leg Raises
    Bench Press
    Inclined Dumbbell Press
    Military Press
    Dumbbell Lateral Raises
    Skull Crusher
    Narrow Grip Bench Press

Friday
    Oblique crunches
    Squats
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
    Chins
    Dead Lifts
    Barbell Curls
    Dumbbell Hammer Curls

You work every muscle group excluding calves once a week. You should be able to get through one exercise within 10 minutes x 7 has you walking out the gym in just over an hour.

Your comments?

Sorry. Just read that you have back problems.

That means Dead Lifts, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts and squats are out.

Replace them with Barbell Rows, Leg Curl and Leg Extensions or Leg Presses.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    I usually aim for 15-20 sets total per workout.

that's right in my range. With the exception of squats/DLs, all my other splits are 14-16 sets per split, 4 exercises each

Looks like I need to split my routine up each week, doing the same muscle groups every other day looks to be overkill.

Do most of you dedicate only 1 day per week to a certain muscle group?

Here's what I'm thinking my breakdown would be:

Mon: Back, shoulders
    Stiff legged deads
    DB Rows
    Military press
    ?

Wed: Legs, triceps
    Squats
    Laying tricep extensions
    ?

Friday: Chest and Biceps
    Bench Press
    Incline DB press
    DB bicep curls
    ?

Stomach and Legs are not my favorite muscle groups to work, so I do not want to stack them on the same day and lose my motivation.

Trying to be young again turbomike's Avatar
    turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How about a total body workout, 3 times a week, mainly with compound exersizes?
    Mike
    Owner- The Body Shop Gym
    "Lift. Spot..or Leave!"
    "If doesn't matter what kind of car you drive...but how big the arm is hanging out of the window."

"Compound exercises allow you to lift heavier weights and work more muscle groups at the same time than isolation exercises. This saves you precious time in the gym while stimulating the maximum amount of muscle fibers."

Stiff-legged deadlifts definitely fit into this category and I love them. However, 3 times a week still brings me back to recovery problems, I don't think I can recover with only 1 day in between total body workouts.

Trying to be young again turbomike's Avatar
    turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it depends on the person. I do total body three times a week, but each day is a different workout. Sometimes I'm a little sore (like today from Wednedays workout) but then I have Sat and Sun to fully recover.
    Mike
    Owner- The Body Shop Gym
    "Lift. Spot..or Leave!"
    "If doesn't matter what kind of car you drive...but how big the arm is hanging out of the window."