Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    abhishek77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Side effects on atkins diet

has anyone experienced any side effects such as lower mid back pain or sore muscles in and around the thighs?

And how to cure this?
    It is making me lethargic.

IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How long have you been on it? How many calories are you eating? What's the breakdown between fat and protein.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by abhishek77 View Post

And how to cure this?
    a cup of maple syrup should cure it.

IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) IMAPACKERFAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also post your activity level.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    has anyone experienced any side effects such as lower mid back pain or sore muscles in and around the thighs?

And how to cure this?

I have never heard of a diet causing back pain or sore muscles. What else are you doing?
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

I don't count the calories i am eating, I just avoid exceeding the amount of carbs per day. During induction that is 20grams. I only started since sunday. Is the backpain due to eating lots of meat 3 times a day?

For breakfast, i usually have 2 eggs and salad or vegetables.
    Lunch, I have homemade burger or lamb chop with salad.
    Dinner, I have salad again with either fish, meat or chicken.

After dinner, i sometimes have a very small serving of icecream, around 2 tbsp.

Now that is a high fat and protein diet.
    I have cut down on various other foods such as breakfast cereals like aplen or whey protein drinks with milk, wholemeal rice and indian bread.

But i am wondering in the long term.
    I know it states that you should increase your carb intake by 5g each week until you find the cclm. But though i think even on atkins lifetime stage, only 40g to 60g of carbs are recommended per day.

A slice of bread contains 18g of carbs, some fruits have 9g carb. So are people able to eat low carb diets in long run?

Is the atkins induction phase only a fast way to lose weight or does it helpp people that find it hard to lose weight even with regular exercise.

For the past few months, I have been doing exercise on the treadmill, first i started off with running only 10 minutes at 7.5mph. Then i was suggested i try HIIT which i have been doing now for almost a month. I do HIIT on treadmill for 20 minutes but still not weight or fat loss. Thats why i am trying atkins.

I feel i may be metabolically resistant to weight loss so will induction phase help me lose weight?

Or do i need to exercise more?

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you drinking enough water? Might be your kidneys..

Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Johnny2k7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No real side effects for me, slightly reduced energy, HORRENDOUS carb cravings, but nothing serious. Pain in only certain muscles sounds more like an injury from exercise rather than something your diet caused.

SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeoneStopMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i have lower back pain, buts thats just from going too heavy on deads, not from my diet.

dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The only side effect I've had is extreme fat loss.

The pains only began a day after starting the diet. I looked around the internet and found that a few other people experienced this side effect. Some say that it is due to drinking not enough water.

Other than that i started taking some supplements from today as recommended in the atkins diet.

From tmrw, I am going to do 30 to 40 minutes of cycling every alternate day apart from the daily treadmill HIIT for 20 min. I burn around 252 calories on treadmill.

I hope this should speed up fat loss.

However even though i may be metabolically resistant to fat loss, once fat loss is acheived, is it safe to consume 90 grams+ of natural carbs per day combined with lots of physical exercise? Just wondering. My exercise routine will stay the same.

deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmm I wonder if that's why I have lower back pain at times, I know I tend to not drink much water at times and I have back pain (mostly in the mornings).
    ☆☆☆Ron Paul 2012 Support Crew☆☆☆

~Barefooters Crew~|~Atheist Alliance~| ~Yellow Fever Crew~

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

The thing that once people lose weight on induction phase, are they going to go back to their old eating habits?

I cannot see anyone eating 60grams of carb a day for their whole lifetime.

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't count the calories i am eating, I just avoid exceeding the amount of carbs per day. During induction that is 20grams. I only started since sunday. Is the backpain due to eating lots of meat 3 times a day?

For breakfast, i usually have 2 eggs and salad or vegetables.
    Lunch, I have homemade burger or lamb chop with salad.
    Dinner, I have salad again with either fish, meat or chicken.

After dinner, i sometimes have a very small serving of icecream, around 2 tbsp.

Now that is a high fat and protein diet.
    I have cut down on various other foods such as breakfast cereals like aplen or whey protein drinks with milk, wholemeal rice and indian bread.

But i am wondering in the long term.
    I know it states that you should increase your carb intake by 5g each week until you find the cclm. But though i think even on atkins lifetime stage, only 40g to 60g of carbs are recommended per day.

A slice of bread contains 18g of carbs, some fruits have 9g carb. So are people able to eat low carb diets in long run?

Is the atkins induction phase only a fast way to lose weight or does it helpp people that find it hard to lose weight even with regular exercise.

For the past few months, I have been doing exercise on the treadmill, first i started off with running only 10 minutes at 7.5mph. Then i was suggested i try HIIT which i have been doing now for almost a month. I do HIIT on treadmill for 20 minutes but still not weight or fat loss. Thats why i am trying atkins.

I feel i may be metabolically resistant to weight loss so will induction phase help me lose weight?

Or do i need to exercise more?
    no offense, but your diet is awful

ok. In what way do you mean it is awful?
    I comsume under 20grams of carbs per day which is recommened by atkins or most keto diets so how is that awful?

I look through a typical atkins day during induction phase, and thats what they have, lots of meat and eggs along with various salads and salad dressings.

MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MattyH7688 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ok. In what way do you mean it is awful?
    I comsume under 20grams of carbs per day which is recommened by atkins or most keto diets so how is that awful?

I look through a typical atkins day during induction phase, and thats what they have, lots of meat and eggs along with various salads and salad dressings.
    you should be eating more than 3 times a day and know the amount of food and caloires you are taking...why you are eating ice cream baffles me
    Last edited by MattyH7688; 05-08-2008 at 07:22 AM.

that is just a very small serving of icecream and not every day.

WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10) WaistofSpace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think the diet would make your back hurt the day after starting the diet. If you said you have been doing it for a ocuple weeks or something you might want to think twice about it, but no diet would affect you that quick unless you were on the arsenic diet. It is all in your head.

at the same time i do HIIT on treadmill for 20 minutes. I have been doing so for just over a month.

Still no expereince in fat loss. I have been doing atkins since sunday. Three meals are recommened or 5 small meals throughout the day.

I am going to see how it goes for another week and at the same time increase my treadmill activity to 3 times a day.

Morning:20 min
    Afternoon:15 min
    Evening: 10 min

The HIIT treadmill activity is like this.
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)

The number is brackets is the speed setting.
    I also do weights every alternate day. So prior to starting on atkins, could someone suggest the main reason i was not losing fat even with daily treadmill activity? Or is 20 min not enough?

bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bendosia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Have you read Dr. Atkins' book as well as researched the low carb diet? Sounds like you haven't really accepted or understand the reasoning behind low-carb dieting.

As for eating low carb for the rest of your life...that isn't so difficult. Eat meat and veggies with some cheese and nut, stay away from carbs!

Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lemonzest is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I have never heard of a diet causing back pain or sore muscles. What else are you doing?
    Kinda diet related, i suffer from a disease called Fibromyalgia and carbs cause flair ups and muscle pain in me, thats why keto was such a blessing

Like stay away from natural carbs such as fruits. The carbs in some fruits like oranges or grapefruit is about 8g to 9g. In some fruits such as mango or pineapple, it is 18g. A slice of bread is 18g carb. So if you eat a bread and a mango fruit, that is around 36 g carb.

I have read about 60% of his book. However i will go through it again just to understand it a bit better. But most of time, it discusses the benefits of low carb diets and various researches that have been caried out. I agree with the facts that he has put out in the book but I still find it impossible for someone to maintain 40grams of carbs per day.

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    at the same time i do HIIT on treadmill for 20 minutes. I have been doing so for just over a month.

Still no expereince in fat loss. I have been doing atkins since sunday. Three meals are recommened or 5 small meals throughout the day.

I am going to see how it goes for another week and at the same time increase my treadmill activity to 3 times a day.

Morning:20 min
    Afternoon:15 min
    Evening: 10 min

The HIIT treadmill activity is like this.
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)
    2 min walk (4)
    2 min run (8.8)
    2 min jog (6)

The number is brackets is the speed setting.
    I also do weights every alternate day. So prior to starting on atkins, could someone suggest the main reason i was not losing fat even with daily treadmill activity? Or is 20 min not enough?
    dude, just do it for 30-40 minutes, even 60 minutes, heart rate around 125, your fat pathways dont open till about 20 minutes of cardio.. Something like that, Im sure someone will correct me here, LOL..

Also, stay away from HITT, keep it LISS..

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    many people at low carb. its not hard at all if you break the old habits and addictions. if you eat meats, cheese, and fibrous veggies, while eliminating grains and potatoes from your diet its even easier.
    as far as the pain id just say drink more water, when you eliminate a lot of carbs from your diet you also eliminate a lot of water intake. for general weight loss the diet as you have it is fine otherwise though. the atkins and south beach diets are good for that in allowing you to lose fat but not have to count every calorie and eating enough to be full without having to have 7 meals a day and counting every last thing you eat.

Earlier on today, i read a chapter about low carb diets in another diet plan book called the abs diet where the author is criticisng the concept of low carb diets and comparing it to low fat diets as another fad. He does however mention that it does result in fat loss but he further goes on to say that if you cut out a certain type of food from your diet, whether it is fat, carbs or proteins, you will lose weight short term.

I think the reason behind low carb diets is that fat and protein take long time to digest therefore you feel less hungry but carbs get digested much fatser therefore you feel more hungry.

In the atkins book, he states that he is totally against refined carbs to which i agree. It is the unrefined carbs we should be eating.

lowcarber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lowcarber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

Stick to Atkins it works period.In 2001 i lost 70lbs in four or five months i stayed on the induction for about a year i was eating meat by the pound and under 20 grams of carbs.I started having back pain and uped the fat ate less meat and it went away.But i got hurt at work and started eating junk again and in the seven years i gained back the 70+50 more.So iam back on Atkins and i feel great.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Meat does not cause back pain. Most people, even on "normal" diets eat meat two or three times a day. Lack of carbs does not cause back pain.

Kidney problems could cause back pain, keto diets are not nearly as hard on kidneys as the media would lead you to believe. Drink enough water and you should have no kidney problems at all.

NO ICE CREAM on keto, low carb or Atkins. That 20g is your limit, not a target. Atkins himself was very clear that you do not eat anything with sugar in it, even if it doesn't come to your 20g limit. If you must eat icecream, there's a few recipes in the recipe sections that are suitable. Absolutely no commercial or "net carb" icecream.

There is no reason why you can't stick to low carb for the rest of your life. In general, the foods you don't eat on low carb are processed crap. If you were allergic to wheat for instance, you'd have no problem not eating bread. Why is it an essential food?

You can eat fruit on Atkins, just not huge amounts every day. Try to eat seasonally, so you eat berries when they are ripe (home-grown fresh strawberries, yum), and eat wild fruit whenever you find it. You'll find wild apples or blackberries or damsons are a lot different to the things you find in the supermarket.

I agree, i avoid processed food. But basic food such as wholemeal or unrenfined brown bread or indian bread made with wholemeal brown flour was part of my diet with lentil soup even though my daily carb intake was under 100grams. Thats just an estimate. I used to tend to eat lots of fruits such as grapes, oranges, grapefruit.

I am starting, thats why i have so many questions on how someone could cut down on various food such as wheat, potato etc. I am not including all this in induction phase. I am talking about long term. You must have had cravings for those foods. I used to eat potato atleast twice a week.

This diet thing is like a very complex thing but the basic fact is that you need to burn more calories than you consume. But this depends on various factors i feel such as metabolism, types of food eaten and other factors and mainly exercise. I mean if someone was to eat high fat but no exercise that fat would be stored just like glucose stores.

So if someone eats around 100grams of carbs daily with caloric value of 400 and then the rest of time they eat meat which has a high caloric value.
    And during exercise, if you burn around 500 calories then that means you have burned all your glucose stores and then to burn the fat stores they may need to do additional exercise. But at the same time, even when your not exercising, we are still in the process of burining calories like during breathing etc which are non physical activities. What is the best way to calculate these calories burned during non physical activities?

So in that way i feel weight loss may be possible but that again depends on the individuals metabolism or other factors that affect weight loss.

In my situation with the way i was eating, i did not gain weight but feel i am losing weight but at a very very slow pace.

I have serious cravings for bombardinos (a delicious mixture of sugar, eggs, brandy and cream) http://www.skijanje.hr/slike/slike_3...6778549749.jpg, but I only have them when I'm skiing. Having a craving is not a reason for eating something. Nor does it mean it's good for you.

Stop making things so complicated. The best way to judge the calories you burn every day is simply to record everything you eat and drink on a normal day when you don't change weight. That's the calories that are required to let you run your body and your lifestyle.

Is it true that this diet make you lose muscle mass as well? Is it safe to exercise first thing in the morning on a low carb high protein and fat diet?

One basic fact however which i mentioned in previous post is that you can only lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume.

So the thing is that these authors ask us not to count calories but these books have set plans and meal menus for each plan such as induction. Even though they are low carb meals, are these set plans based on the basic amount of calories you consume? Sinilar to abs diet.

Remember in atkins, we eat high amounts of fat and protein and we exercise and lose weight but if we overate then that means taking in more calories and having the same exercise schedule, weight loss would be impossible.