Closed Thread
Page 272 of 364 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 322 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,160 of 10915
    gymrat992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up awesome podcast today!

Skip, just wanted to give you some feedback about todays podcast. I thought it was awesome, it really hit home with me! I felt like you were talking directly to me. Thanks for the great tips about bring up a lagging body part, will definately give them a shot. You should write an article about all those little tips you were talking about for each exercise,would be an awesome read for sure! I'm going to try and video some of my sets so you can take a look at them.

Thanks!

Gymrat992
    I AM A MASS MACHINE!

I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not going to let you forget the goals you set for 2013. . . .

2-10-13

Sound off MASS MACHINES!

What's one MAJOR thing you WILL accomplish this week that has been lingering--and you know you absolutely MUST get it done? It can be either inside or outside of the gym.

Commit to finally getting it done right here.

I will ask you this every single week in 2013 and do whatever I can to help you follow through. That's my commitment to YOU.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would love to try out max ot one day, but I feel like I would need a work out partner and I don't have a work out partner. Also I don't mind going for 4-6 reps, but I would like to do those reps on my own, no one spotting me, or even barely touching my elbows because that to me doesn't count, and it's unreal how much more I can lift when someone is barely touching my elbows, they say ''I wasn't helping you at all'' and somehow I'm lifting a lot more, or for a lot more reps, and it doesn't make any sense, so I prefer to have someone maybe watch me, to help me unrack and rack the weight, or help me get the dumbell up for shoulder press, but no one actually helping me lift the weight, and if I fail I fail, I don't feel the need for forced reps if I gave it my all

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mind4muscle7 View Post
    I would love to try out max ot one day, but I feel like I would need a work out partner and I don't have a work out partner. Also I don't mind going for 4-6 reps, but I would like to do those reps on my own, no one spotting me, or even barely touching my elbows because that to me doesn't count, and it's unreal how much more I can lift when someone is barely touching my elbows, they say ''I wasn't helping you at all'' and somehow I'm lifting a lot more, or for a lot more reps, and it doesn't make any sense, so I prefer to have someone maybe watch me, to help me unrack and rack the weight, or help me get the dumbell up for shoulder press, but no one actually helping me lift the weight, and if I fail I fail, I don't feel the need for forced reps if I gave it my all
    Is there a question in there somewhere--or are you just making a statement? I'm unclear.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congrats, Skip!!

Just saw the great news about your engagement on ********!

Wishing you two the best.

Jim

Originally Posted by HeteroticPhenom View Post
    Skip, as an expert on building muscle, cutting fat (while maintaining the muscle), and supplements, what are your thoughts on the following:

1) Best time of day to train w/ weights (relative to when you get up in the morning). Have a few breakfast-brunch-pre-workout meals and then hit the gym before lunch? Or maybe in the early afternoon, after lunch? Or...? And is one approach better for bulking, while another better for contest prep?

2) Do you practice/recommend "intermittent fasting"? Basically when cutting, the idea is that if you go a certain number of hours throughout the day (namely don't consume calories for a while, upon rising), the body will burn through it's fat stores, but you won't actually go catabolic yet. You'll then, of course, meet your macro needs before the day is out.

3) If you are doing intermittent fasting (or maybe, just skipping breakfast & going to do some cardio in a 'semi-fasted state'), what about protein supplements (or just simply BCAAs)? I'm still unclear whether I can take them at these times. On one hand, some people say, "calories are calories... whey/BCAAs, doesn't matter... if you take anything, you're only foiling the 'semi-fasted' state and making your attempt at burning fat less effective." But then there's others that say, "you've got to feed those muscles... at least give them some protein & BCAAs. It's just a drop in the bucket calorie-wise, but it does worlds of good in terms of helping your muscles be maintained."

I've just started to prep for my first contest, and points 2 & 3 have really been occupying me. I need to have a clearer understanding in that area. The first question, is really rooted in my desire to go earlier, and miss the big crowd. But it does seem like I need a few hours to really build up my energy level, for max performance in the gym.
    Hi HeteroticPhenom.

I don't have any experience preparing for a contest using these strategies.

I continually read all the studies (as I am sure you do too) and I could regurgitate to you some of the differing opinions.

I suggest finding someone you trust who has actually prepared for a contest using those methods and get their first hand experiences.

Train Hard. Think Big.

viky49 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Need Help!

Hi Skip,

I am 35years old vegetarian, 166cm, and weighed 83 kilos with 31% body fat when I joined a Gym a little over 4 months back.

For the first 2 months, I worked hard and concentrated on Cardio (moderate to hard intesity interval training) six days a week, as my primary goal was loosing weight. At the end of 2months, I had lost about 7 kilos and dropped fat percentage to 27%.

Then I got myself a Personal Trainer and for the last two months, have been following below routine at the Gym:

Mon - Resistance Training - Back & Biceps
    Tue - Cardio & Abs
    Wed - Resistance Training - Shoulder & Triceps
    Thu - Tabata / Circuit Training
    Frid - Resistance Training - Chest & Legs
    Sat - Boxing Training followed by cardio

After following the above routine for the last two months, I've more than doubled my overall body strength, as well as stamina, lost some inches, even got some visible muscle gains, and dropped body fat to 25%. However, I've almost stopped loosing weight! I lost only 1kilo in two months! Why?

My ultimate goal was to have a well shaped body around 70-72kilos.... but with the above routine, do you think I'll ever be able to reach my goal. What should I do? Is it not possible to continue loosing weight while gaining muscle mass??

On the recommendation of my trainer, I've recently start taking a Whey Protien shake with cold water post workouts which provides me with 117 calories & 24gms of protien (isolate + concentrate) per serving. But, I'm concerned as I've heard people say that protien supplements are not recommended to individuals with high body fat percentage like me. How true is this?

Also, my protien shake tastes really bad, so would it be ok if I added a teaspoon for sugar to make it more palatable?

Looking forward to your guidance..

Lesson #2 - How To Effectively Process All of the Bodybuilding and Training Information - 49 Days To SUPREME Confidence Ultimate Transformation Challenge

With all of the bodybuilding and training information available and all the experts preaching that their way is the right way, how do decide what's going to work best for you?

Lesson #2 of 49 of the Mass Machine Nutrition "49 Days To Supreme Confidence" Ultimate Transformation Challenge.

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM180 PHYSIO-MACHINE SUPREME Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

Skip, quick question. I missed a couple of workouts at the end of last week because my gym was closed because they lost power during the blizzard. My question is should I finish up last weeks workouts that I missed before doing this week's workouts or should I just skip them and move on to this week's scheduled Moday chest workout?

Thanks
    I AM A MASS MACHINE!

Originally Posted by gymrat992 View Post
    Skip, quick question. I missed a couple of workouts at the end of last week because my gym was closed because they lost power during the blizzard. My question is should I finish up last weeks workouts that I missed before doing this week's workouts or should I just skip them and move on to this week's scheduled Moday chest workout?

Thanks
    Hi gymrat992.....

It really comes down to which variable you are most comfortable dealing with.

Completely missing two body part workouts--and then just starting the new week off as originally scheduled--isn't going to make a huge difference in the quality of your physique in the "big picture" and over time. Three months from now, you won't even remember missing them.

If you'd rather not miss them, then you'll have to deal with your training days being askew because the body part training days are aligned the way there were--and won't be until you take your next scheduled week off.

A third option would be to skip your scheduled days off from training until your training days are back in sync.

I've done it all three ways. Just starting the new week as originally scheduled is what I prefer doing most of the time when I'm faced with that decision.

Train Hard. Think Big.

mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mind4muscle7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Is there a question in there somewhere--or are you just making a statement? I'm unclear.
    I'm just making a statement, I love to speak my mind freely from time to time

Originally Posted by mind4muscle7 View Post
    I'm just making a statement, I love to speak my mind freely from time to time
    hi mind4muscle7

This may not be the place to share your opinions as to what are the most effective and efficient strategies--if you want them to go unchallenged.

If you don't mind, that's perfectly acceptable.

When someone post thought and opinions that I definitely do NOT agree with, I have a responsibility to all the people who come to this thread for my opinions to do so.

Otherwise, they might confuse your beliefs about bodybuilding and training with my beliefs.

You don't need a training partner to execute the progressive overload style of training (although a good training partner can help with any training style). I don't want the visitors to this thread to believe that they NEED a training partner to experience the benefits of Mass Machine Training. You don't. In fact, I do not have a training partner.

Forced reps are something I don't advocate either. However, I continually emphasize that your MIND is your most powerful training tool.

When you are challenging yourself to lift heavy weight on a consistent basis, there can be an understandable level of fear present. That's normal and acceptable. Having a training partner right there ready to help you the INSTANT you may fail by having his fingers barely touching the bar or barely touching your elbows can alleviate some of that naturally occurring fear and give you the certainty and confidence to go for more. Workout by workout, week by week, month by month, and year by year, you'll be amazed to discover what your true physical and performance levels really are.

Many people can "magically" do significantly more reps with more just because a certain level of fear has been alleviated and their mind is free and clear to really go for it--and not because their training partner is actually assisting them.

Train Hard. Think Big.

atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi mind4muscle7

This may not be the place to share your opinions as to what are the most effective and efficient strategies--if you want them to go unchallenged.

When someone post thought and opinions that I definitely do NOT agree with, I have a responsibility to all the people who come to this thread for my opinions to do so.

Otherwise, they might confuse your beliefs about bodybuilding and training with my beliefs.

You don't need a training partner to execute the progressive overload style of training (although a good training partner can help with any training style). I don't want the visitors to this thread to believe that they NEED a training partner to experience the benefits of Mass Machine Training. You don't. In fact, I do not have a training partner.

Forced reps are something I don't advocate either. However, I continually emphasize that your MIND is your most powerful training tool.

When you are challenging yourself to lift heavy weight on a consistent basis, there can be an understandable level of fear present. That's normal and acceptable. Having a training partner right there ready to help you the INSTANT you may fail by having his fingers barely touching the bar or barely touching your elbows can alleviate some of that naturally occurring fear and give you the certainty and confidence to go for more. Workout by workout, week by week, month by month, and year by year, you'll be amazed to discover what your true physical and performance levels really are.

Many people can "magically" do significantly more reps with more just because a certain level of fear has been alleviated and their mind is free and clear to really go for it--and not because their training partner is actually assisting them.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    I think that is an interesting point Skip. I have tinkered with trying various workout partners, but I have found that for me, with my work schedule, family obligations, etc., it is really easiest for me to workout on MY schedule. I am consistent with it, and I don't need someone to motivate me to push as hard as possible. The only thing I think I compromise is the duration of my workout. I have never really understood the WHEN to cut if off thing. I have done 2 hour workouts, I have done 30 minute workouts. It seems to me that I got better results, and was more motivated to be consistent with I stay within 45-50 min. workouts. Again, I do 1 body part a day, so for me it seems to work best that way. But, I am open to feedback.

I will give an example: My normal leg routine is 5 min stair stepper warm-up. I do 1 warm-up set of barbell squats (8-10 reps of 225). I then go into the workout. I start with 6 reps of 315, then rest 1 min. Then I do 6 reps of 405, rest 1 1/2 min. Then I do 6 reps 455, rest 2 min. Then I finish with a max load (as much as I can handle) for 4-6 reps (last time I struggled with 475 for 4 reps). ( I know it is not just the reps, it is the mind-muscle connection, and intesnity). I have really felt the connection best when I go slow on the way down, and power up (without a belt). Then I will go into hamstring curls (same type of situation, 8-10 rep warm-up), then 4 active sets, same rest time. Last I will compelte leg extensions (working quads), I skip the warm-up, and go straight into the active sets. I go intense on these last ones. See, now here is where I get caught up sometimes. At this point I have hit 45-50 min., but I may still feel a little adrenaline and "juice" flowing. So, I may consider doing 1-2 sets of walking lunges (with dumbells). Sometimes I do them, sometimes I don't. Any feedback Skip?
    Last edited by atw1552; 02-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"
    John Quincy Adams

Originally Posted by atw1552 View Post
    I think that is an interesting point Skip. I have tinkered with trying various workout partners, but I have found that for me, with my work schedule, family obligations, etc., it is really easiest for me to workout on MY schedule. I am consistent with it, and I don't need someone to motivate me to push as hard as possible. The only thing I think I compromise is the duration of my workout. I have never really understood the WHEN to cut if off thing. I have done 2 hour workouts, I have done 30 minute workouts. It seems to me that I got better results, and was more motivated to be consistent with I stay within 45-50 min. workouts. Again, I do 1 body part a day, so for me it seems to work best that way. But, I am open to feedback.

I will give an example: My normal leg routine is 5 min stair stepper warm-up. I do 1 warm-up set of barbell squats (8-10 reps of 225). I then go into the workout. I start with 6 reps of 315, then rest 1 min. Then I do 6 reps of 405, rest 1 1/2 min. Then I do 6 reps 455, rest 2 min. Then I finish with a max load (as much as I can handle) for 4-6 reps (last time I struggled with 475 for 4 reps). ( I know it is not just the reps, it is the mind-muscle connection, and intesnity). I have really felt the connection best when I go slow on the way down, and power up (without a belt). Then I will go into hamstring curls (same type of situation, 8-10 rep warm-up), then 4 active sets, same rest time. Last I will compelte leg extensions (working quads), I skip the warm-up, and go straight into the active sets. I go intense on these last ones. See, now here is where I get caught up sometimes. At this point I have hit 45-50 min., but I may still feel a little adrenaline and "juice" flowing. So, I may consider doing 1-2 sets of walking lunges (with dumbells). Sometimes I do them, sometimes I don't.

Any feedback Skip?
    Feedback, atw1552?

In general, it looks like you push a lot of weight--and do so without a lot of rest in between sets.

How do you feel it is working for you?

If you asked a different or more specific questions, I am sure I could be a lot more helpful than that though.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip, I'm looking to buy a good power lifting belt to use during squats and deadlifts. What are some of the best brands that make power belts? Anything special that I should look for when buying a quality belt? Do you know where I can get a good power lifting belt.

Thanks
    Last edited by gymrat992; 02-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    I AM A MASS MACHINE!

atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Feedback, atw1552?

In general, it looks like you push a lot of weight--and do so without a lot of rest in between sets.

How do you feel it is working for you?

If you asked a different or more specific questions, I am sure I could be a lot more helpful than that though.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Thanks Skip. Sure so, you asked me how I feel it is working for me. When I complete the heavier sets and rest 2 minutes, I do feel energized rather than tired, because it gets my adrenaline going to lift so heavy. I go by feel moreso than timing, so if a set was particularly heavy or draining for me I may pause longer (I know it seemed misleading from my previous list of rest times), however, I was trying to give a general idea of rest time. How else is it working for me? Well, I have learned not to do back-back quad excercises because my ability to MAX energey and effort for that set of musclegroups is diminshed after heavy squats.

Ok the questions:
    1) What I struggle with is deciding to leave the gym when I feel I still have energy to give (on occasions, not every time). If I am feeling particularly amped up, I may consider doing a real heavy set of walking dumbell lunges, which pushes my workout from the 45-50 min. time period, to the 60-70 minute time-frame. Because I have not looked at your MAX OT series, I am not sure if this is a "no go" for purposes of rest and recover. Specific Question: On average, considering I am usually pushing myself really hard, should I end my workouts at 45-50 minutes regardless of energy levels?
    2) Changing excercises: I have gained a certain level of comfort in my mind-muscle connection with my typical range of excercises. I am still advancing in size and strength. Is there any need to "switch" excercises to "keep my body guessing"(some stuff I have heard through other grape vines).

P.S. I know that the mind is the ultimate weapon, and that perception is everything, but I really am confused about these areas of my fitness.
    "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"
    John Quincy Adams

1) What I struggle with is deciding to leave the gym when I feel I still have energy to give (on occasions, not every time). If I am feeling particularly amped up, I may consider doing a real heavy set of walking dumbell lunges, which pushes my workout from the 45-50 min. time period, to the 60-70 minute time-frame. Because I have not looked at your MAX OT series, I am not sure if this is a "no go" for purposes of rest and recover. Specific Question: On average, considering I am usually pushing myself really hard, should I end my workouts at 45-50 minutes regardless of energy levels?
    You seem like you are a very strong minded person, atw1552.

That's awesome in many ways. The challenge with that mentality when it comes to training is that you could probably train all day and night long if you put your mind to it! LOL

The goal with Mass Machine Training is to ask yourself this question:

"How do I pack in the MOST productivity into the SHORTEST period of time and become the most EFFICIENT with the time, energy, and effort I invest during each workout?"

When you are FORCED to adhere to a deadline, you are also FORCED to get the very most out of every rep, every set, and every exercise that you do during that time period.

Most people will not use all of their physical, mental, and emotional talents and abilities to the absolute fullest to accomplish this kind of productivity and efficiency unless they put this type of self-imposed pressure upon themselves.

2) Changing exercises: I have gained a certain level of comfort in my mind-muscle connection with my typical range of exercises. I am still advancing in size and strength. Is there any need to "switch" exercises to "keep my body guessing"(some stuff I have heard through other grape vines).

P.S. I know that the mind is the ultimate weapon, and that perception is everything, but I really am confused about these areas of my fitness.
    I agree with you on this. Although it is a great compliment to your training to change your workouts and exercises every so often, changing your workouts and exercises all the time should NOT be a standard, basic fundamental strategy toward training success. It's overrated and overvalued by a lot of people, in my opinion.

There is a certain level of comfort and skill that you will develop the more you do certain exercises. You'll be able to gain more certainty and confidence the longer you stick with them. That will lead to more strength over time and better execution/mind-muscle connection with each of the exercises you choose.

I believe that changing your workouts and exercises every 8 to 10 weeks is sufficient to build muscle effectively and efficiently provided you've selected a good combination of exercises.

Train Hard. Think Big.

If you are new to this thread, read this article and check out just a few of the important lessons that have been posted here:

Click Here

Train Hard. Think Big.

You seem like you are a very strong minded person, atw1552.

That's awesome in many ways. The challenge with that mentality when it comes to training is that you could probably train all day and night long if you put your mind to it! LOL

The goal with Mass Machine Training is to ask yourself this question:

"How do I pack in the MOST productivity into the SHORTEST period of time and become the most EFFICIENT with the time, energy, and effort I invest during each workout?"

When you are FORCED to adhere to a deadline, you are also FORCED to get the very most out of every rep, every set, and every exercise that you do during that time period.

Most people will not use all of their physical, mental, and emotional talents and abilities to the absolute fullest to accomplish this kind of productivity and efficiency unless they put this type of self-imposed pressure upon themselves.

I agree with you on this. Although it is a great compliment to your training to change your workouts and exercises every so often, changing your workouts and exercises all the time should NOT be a standard, basic fundamental strategy toward training success. It's overrated and overvalued by a lot of people, in my opinion.

There is a certain level of comfort and skill that you will develop the more you do certain exercises. You'll be able to gain more certainty and confidence the longer you stick with them. That will lead to more strength over time and better execution/mind-muscle connection with each of the exercises you choose.

I believe that changing your workouts and exercises every 8 to 10 weeks is sufficient to build muscle effectively and efficiently provided you've selected a good combination of exercises.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Skip you have a way of explaining concepts that are challenging yet very understandable. I did not think of the training mindset in that way before (in reference to time in the gym). Also, it is comforting to know that I can gain some experience in the gym without having to pay $2500 for pointers. LOL, thanks Skip.
    John Quincy Adams

Also, it is comforting to know that I can gain some experience in the gym without having to pay $2500 for pointers. LOL, thanks Skip.
    Simply supporting Mass Machine Nutrition would be more than a fair enough exchange for all that money you are savings! If fact, YOU win with both the information AND the supplements.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey skip, I have two questions for you. #1 would you advocate a Max-OT split using 4 days instead of 5 days? Or do you think it's best to stick with 5 days like your machine training programs are laid out?

#2 I followed you machine training programs for about 6 months and gained a lot of strength and mass in that time. But I also gained tendonitis in both my elbows. I always take a joint supplement as well. So bc of this I had to switch up training for a while. The tendonitis is pretty much gone in both elbows now. Have you ever experienced this? What would be your advice to possibly avoid this in the future? I'd like to get back to Max-OT trainning.
    Nothing works unless you do!

Originally Posted by J-Freak View Post
    Hey skip, I have two questions for you. #1 would you advocate a Max-OT split using 4 days instead of 5 days? Or do you think it's best to stick with 5 days like your machine training programs are laid out?
    Hi J-Freak.

I definitely would--if that's what fits your schedule the best and helps you follow through more consistently.

It's not the number of days that you train that makes this style effective--it's your mental and physical approach to your training.

Originally Posted by J-Freak View Post
    #2 I followed you machine training programs for about 6 months and gained a lot of strength and mass in that time. But I also gained tendinitis in both my elbows. I always take a joint supplement as well. So bc of this I had to switch up training for a while. The tendinitis is pretty much gone in both elbows now. Have you ever experienced this? What would be your advice to possibly avoid this in the future? I'd like to get back to Max-OT training.
    Most people who train with any type of intensity and progressively challenge themselves to lift heavier weight at any level are susceptible to that "annoyance" in their elbows. That's quite common and, yes, I have it to some degree in usually one or the other elbow from time to time.

I have discovered that it is sometimes not the heavy weight a person is lifting. It may be their execution. Something is just a little off at the wrong time. The amount of weight a person is lifting may contribute to the less than satisfactory execution.

As far as "heavy training" is concerned, it is important that you find your limits. Heavy does not mean the same to everyone. Of course, there is no sense in training too heavy FOR YOU if it sets your training backward.

I've found out that the pain in the elbow comes and goes for what seems like to be not-so-obvious reasons. One day it is there and, before you know it, it's three months later and you don't even remember you used to be challenged by it.

Hopefully, that will be true in your situation.

Train Hard. Think Big.

J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50) J-Freak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi J-Freak.

I definitely would--if that's what fits your schedule the best and helps you follow through more consistently.

It's not the number of days that you train that makes this style effective--it's your mental and physical approach to your training.

Most people who train with any type of intensity and progressively challenge themselves to lift heavier weight at any level are susceptible to that "annoyance" in their elbows. That's quite common and, yes, I have it to some degree in usually one or the other elbow from time to time.

I have discovered that it is sometimes not the heavy weight a person is lifting. It may be their execution. Something is just a little off at the wrong time. The amount of weight a person is lifting may contribute to the less than satisfactory execution.

As far as "heavy training" is concerned, it is important that you find your limits. Heavy does not mean the same to everyone. Of course, there is no sense in training too heavy FOR YOU if it sets your training backward.

I've found out that the pain in the elbow comes and goes for what seems like to be not-so-obvious reasons. One day it is there and, before you know it, it's three months later and you don't even remember you used to be challenged by it.

Hopefully, that will be true in your situation.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Thanks for the reply and advice!
    Nothing works unless you do!

adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adam81pdx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip - I have a cutting question for you.... I'm using bodybuilding.com's 12 week transformation contest to aide in some motivation to cut after what ended up being a poor excuse for a bulk. In 3 weeks I've gone from 183 to 171 following my diet to a "t" with zero processed foods (except whey) and a 5 day a week workout with cardio in the AM. Is that TOO much weight TOO quickly to shed or should I follow the path and continue onward? I've seen a 2.5" reduction in my waist during this time and my strength in the gym hasn't deteriorated at all as of yet.
    Last edited by adam81pdx; 02-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Originally Posted by adam81pdx View Post
    Skip - I have a cutting question for you.... I'm using bodybuilding.com's 12 week transformation contest to aide in some motivation to cut after what ended up being a poor excuse for a bulk. In 3 weeks I've gone from 183 to 171 following my diet to a "t" with zero processed foods (except whey) and a 5 day a week workout with cardio in the AM. Is that TOO much weight TOO quickly to shed or should I follow the path and continue onward? I've seen a 2.5" reduction in my waist during this time and my strength in the gym hasn't deteriorated at all as of yet.
    Hi adam81pdx.

You are doing awesome! Keep it up.

I wouldn't worry about if you are losing too much weight this early in the process.

You are making the assumption that you will continue to lose weight at the same rate for the entire time you are pushing yourself. That will NOT be the case.

You are going to be writing to me because you are "only" losing a pound a fat week in a few weeks! lol

Just keep doing what you are doing. Your strength being up is a great sign that you are eating enough good, quality food.

Good luck with your transformation contest.

Join the Mass Machine Nutrition "49 Days To SUPREME Confidence" Ultimate Transformation Challenge on this thread for even MORE motivation. It will compliment the one you are doing perfectly!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gymboss76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Another question...

Hi Gymboss76.....

Congratulations on your progress so far and the level of dedication and consistency to achieve those improvements. Keep it up!

With just a month of bodybuilding and training, you need to continue what you are doing and the "answers" you are looking for will reveal themselves to you.

Continue with the basic fundamentals of training, eating, and mental strength--and continual taking what you already know to higher and higher levels. Be patient--and celebrate your victories.

Although you've collected those "statistics," you really don't know how much muscle you had to begin with. And, you have no real reference to know if your gains are fast, slow, or somewhere in between.

Building muscle requires you to continually overload the targeted muscle groups with weight training, rest and recover, and train them again. When you back up those good training habits with good eating habits, you'll earn the muscle you deserve to earn.

That's all I'd worry about right now if I were you.

Don't overload yourself with too much information and theories with just one month of training. You'll just get confused and overwhelmed.

You are doing great--so keep it up.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Dear Skip,

Many thanks for your answer. You're right, I should only focus on training consistently and eating clean at this stage. Must say I'm really happy I've got my diet in check. It took me some time to figure it out but it was worth the effort, I can almost advise anybody on calories and macros now .

However, I've got a question about my training routine. I started with 6 weeks of compound exercises/cardio training 5 days/week and resting 2. I have just moved onto doing isolation exercises spread throughout 3 days and 4th day of functional strength cardio.

My question is: for maximum muscle gain would you advice me to workout 4 days in a row to increase intensity or every other day to give my muscles more time to recover?

Many thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Gymboss76 View Post
    Dear Skip,

Many thanks for your answer. You're right, I should only focus on training consistently and eating clean at this stage. Must say I'm really happy I've got my diet in check. It took me some time to figure it out but it was worth the effort, I can almost advise anybody on calories and macros now .
    Awesome, Gymboss76!

That knowledge that you pushed yourself to earn is going to pay dividends for the rest of your life.

Originally Posted by Gymboss76 View Post
    However, I've got a question about my training routine. I started with 6 weeks of compound exercises/cardio training 5 days/week and resting 2. I have just moved onto doing isolation exercises spread throughout 3 days and 4th day of functional strength cardio.

My question is: for maximum muscle gain would you advice me to workout 4 days in a row to increase intensity or every other day to give my muscles more time to recover?

Many thanks in advance!
    I wouldn't worry about recovering at this point. I am pretty sure your body can handle the type of training you are doing and maybe even more.

What I would ask myself is which way stimulates you the most mentally? What are you most eager to do? What motivates you to put forth your very best effort every set, rep, and exercise you do during every workout? Which one are you going to be the most consistent with? Which one work best with your lifestyle, commitments, and schedule?

You'll put yourself forward no matter which path you go at this point. The one that becomes "optimal" for you at this point is the one you can really put your MIND into.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Molinski44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip,

Do you advocate testing your 1RM every workout for the major compound movements or would this be an overload for the CNS 5x a week?

I'm really looking to build size (Only about 170lb at the moment). I fear I will gain some fat doing less reps like you've mentioned before. How do you stay so lean through spending so little time lifting? Is there a fasted cardio aspect to your routine or something I've missed?
    ------------
    Errrrrrrday.

Originally Posted by Molinski44 View Post
    Skip,

Do you advocate testing your 1RM every workout for the major compound movements or would this be an overload for the CNS 5x a week?
    Hi Molinski44.

I don't advocate that type of training and I don't have any experience doing it. I do NOT, however, feel your need to worry too much about an "overload from the CNS."

Originally Posted by Molinski44 View Post
    I'm really looking to build size (Only about 170lb at the moment). I fear I will gain some fat doing less reps like you've mentioned before. How do you stay so lean through spending so little time lifting? Is there a fasted cardio aspect to your routine or something I've missed?
    Your weight training, whether you do "fewer" reps (like 4 to 6) or "a lot" of reps (like 10 to 15), will have little impact on fat loss.

In fact, cardiovascular training's affect on fat loss is greatly overstated in most people's minds, in my opinion.

You EATING HABITS is by far the most important factor when it comes to how much body fat you carry--or don't carry.

Train Hard. Think Big.

hi mind4muscle7

Train Hard. Think Big.
    I love a challenge and a debate/discussion. I thought that's what this site was for etc. maybe I should leave this thread.

Closed Thread
Page 272 of 364 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 322 ... LastLast