Closed Thread
Page 259 of 364 FirstFirst ... 159 209 249 257 258 259 260 261 269 309 359 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,770 of 10915
    of natural evolution HeteroticPhenom's Avatar
    HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10) HeteroticPhenom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Greetings, Skip La Cour! I intend to learn as much as I can from you. I'll be starting to compete in a few months, after years of training. When it comes to contest prep, I've found what appears to me, to be a contradiction in how to go about doing things. Bodybuilders in very high places in the fitness industry are often split, some advocating one approach... while others say you should do the other.

Here are the two sides of the argument (as best I can express).

Argument 'A'... Training intensely heavy during contest prep is a needless risk for injury. Since you're in a caloric deficit anyway, you're not going to be 'gaining' more muscle. Thus when you're in the gym, the idea is just to train for maintenance. Going all-out, while in a caloric deficit, will not yield increased levels of mass (it's not even necessary for optimal muscle retention)... all it really does is put you at an increased risk for injury.
    Plus that kind of heavy taxation on the body, when it doesn't have the resources for recovery that it had during the bulk phase, is arguably counter-productive. A fast-track to overtraining, so to speak.
    Bottom line is: The body isn't being given enough resources to 'build'... so therefore, train accordingly. Train as you eat... for "maintenance".

Argument 'B'... As you diet down to a shredded state, the body is prone to catabolize it's muscle tissue. All that luxurious mass you've painstakingly built, will be cannibalized unless you give the body an incentive to hold onto it. Heavy lifting is what built the muscle in the first place, and continued heavy lifting --even in a caloric deficit-- is the key to maintaining an environment for optimal muscle growth, or, at least... optimal retention.

...they both make sense. Obviously option 'B' sounds more manly. But I'd rather be smart, as well as manly. Personally, I lean more towards the first philosophy (A), it just makes more sense to me. But I concede 'B' could very well be the case. Where do you come out on this issue? Thanks for your insights!

pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Skip

Have you ever had instances where you are working towards a goal and it seems this goal is getting further and further away and not by your own actions by stuff happening externally?

this is happening now for me and i'm finding it hard to keep on keeping on! I want 2013 to be better than this year very much looking forward to 49 days!

Portia

p.s

I always listen to the podcasts and this message board is still the first place i look everyday
    Train hard and Think Big

I am a relentless Mass Machine

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HeteroticPhenom View Post
    Greetings, Skip La Cour! I intend to learn as much as I can from you. I'll be starting to compete in a few months, after years of training. When it comes to contest prep, I've found what appears to me, to be a contradiction in how to go about doing things. Bodybuilders in very high places in the fitness industry are often split, some advocating one approach... while others say you should do the other.

Here are the two sides of the argument (as best I can express).

Argument 'A'... Training intensely heavy during contest prep is a needless risk for injury. Since you're in a caloric deficit anyway, you're not going to be 'gaining' more muscle. Thus when you're in the gym, the idea is just to train for maintenance. Going all-out, while in a caloric deficit, will not yield increased levels of mass (it's not even necessary for optimal muscle retention)... all it really does is put you at an increased risk for injury.
    Plus that kind of heavy taxation on the body, when it doesn't have the resources for recovery that it had during the bulk phase, is arguably counter-productive. A fast-track to overtraining, so to speak.
    Bottom line is: The body isn't being given enough resources to 'build'... so therefore, train accordingly. Train as you eat... for "maintenance".

Argument 'B'... As you diet down to a shredded state, the body is prone to catabolize it's muscle tissue. All that luxurious mass you've painstakingly built, will be cannibalized unless you give the body an incentive to hold onto it. Heavy lifting is what built the muscle in the first place, and continued heavy lifting --even in a caloric deficit-- is the key to maintaining an environment for optimal muscle growth, or, at least... optimal retention.

...they both make sense. Obviously option 'B' sounds more manly. But I'd rather be smart, as well as manly. Personally, I lean more towards the first philosophy (A), it just makes more sense to me. But I concede 'B' could very well be the case. Where do you come out on this issue? Thanks for your insights!
    Hi HeteroticPhenom....

You can take that same advice to two different people. The person who uses "Argument A" can outperform the person who uses "Argument B" in terms of strength and intensity. It's all in a person's interpretation of what's said in those arguments. That's how powerful the MIND is. One man's "light" is another man's "heavy."

As human beings, we very rarely come close to what we are physically and mentally capable of doing no matter how "manly" (as you put it) we think we are.

I wouldn't bother advising "Argument A" the way you outlined it to anyone and support it with all of that rationale. Of course, no one wants to get injured.

Instead, I would keep it simple. I would advise them train intelligently and effectively--without putting the thought of injury in their head. Train the way you did all year long; as much as you can; and for as long as you can. Do your best to let your body dictate what you can and can't do--and not your mind.

Trust me. I've witness a lot of competitors who became, let's say, not-so-manly the very first day of their contest diet just because of the mentality of "Argument A." If you diet right, you really shouldn't feel any of the negative effects until about 6 weeks before your contest. And, your strength doesn't just drop of a cliff--it drops gradually.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pphelps83 View Post
    Hey Skip

Have you ever had instances where you are working towards a goal and it seems this goal is getting further and further away and not by your own actions by stuff happening externally?

this is happening now for me and i'm finding it hard to keep on keeping on! I want 2013 to be better than this year very much looking forward to 49 days!

Portia

p.s

I always listen to the podcasts and this message board is still the first place i look everyday
    Hi Portia.

First of all, thanks for your support and thanks for listening to the podcasts.

I have experienced that many, many times while working towards a goal--especially if it is a really ambitious one.

If you think about it, there's simple no way that you can know everything involved in attaining the level of success you want. You find out once you get into it.

Oftentimes, that a GOOD thing. There's a Latin phase that basically means "pleasantly naive." It means that, because you didn't know how challenging something was going to be, you eventually succeeded.

Think about it. How many times did you tackle some goal only to find out how challenging it really was only AFTER you were in the middle of it? If you knew how challenging it was, you might have never have attempted it.

But, because you were COMMITTED and halfway into the process, you found a way to make it work.

That's only happened to me....ah......10,000 times in my life! LOL

Keep on' keepin on!

You have no other option than to keep on keepin' on!
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

Save Time and Build Upon the Success of Others

We are often told that "success leaves clues."

Are we always smart enough to listen to those successful people when they offer us their sage advice and reveal those valuable clues? The sooner we listen and take action, the sooner we’ll have the opportunity to experience that same level of success. Do it now! You'll save yourself a hell of a lot of frustration.

Remember that you have never been the kind of person you are striving to become. How are you going to come up with a plan on becoming that person all by yourself? Exactly what experience and knowledge do you have? Wouldn't any plan you come up with be merely a series of guesses?

Sure, you could eventually bumble your way onto the right path. That might take an extraordinary amount of time and perseverance. That’s not the most efficient way to go. Building upon the successes of others is.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM180 PHYSIO-MACHINE SUPREME Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz ZBlacktt has the mod powerz
    Taken care of Skip.
    US Marine Corps Vet 8 years ( 92/00 ) - Semper Fi - ★cVc★

The MM120 Mass Machine Power Statements Free Coaching Sound File

Your Coach Skip La Cour gets "in your ear" and guides you to the next level with the Mass Machine MM120. This free audio file emphasizes 120 powerful statements into your conscious and subconscious mind to help launch your bodybuilding and training efforts to the next level.

CLICK HERE to download the free mp3 "I am a Mass Machine!" MM120 sound file.

Strive to Be the Very Best Version of "You"

Strive to be the very best version of you possible—regardless of any of your perceived challenges. We have what we have. Our job is to make the most out of what we've been given (and still have).

If we are not careful, we can let our perceived limitations get in the way of our progress—and the level in which we enjoy life. We must learn to consistently focus on what gifts we do have—and not on the ones we don't have.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM25 Whey Protein on Bodybuilding.com

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Thanks for your support, Looton.

I would wrap it.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Followed the man's advice- of course. Worked great. Pain GONE after 2+ years.
    Supps beyond the usual:
    Osteo Bi-Flex NutraJoint for gelatin (support collagen production)
    Natrol Glucosamine, MSM & Cetylpure
    Chondroitin

Took just 2 weeks off from the gym for a nasty cold and pain was GONE. I spent several months away from the gym before and it was still bad. Lifting and supplements probably helped set me up so this short break resolved the issue. FINALLY!

Anyway - Skip is an inspiration and always encouraging. Gratitude and respect all the way. The skiplacour YouTube vids before workout helps more than the creatine and protein powder - LOL!
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

Mass Machine Training - Curl Bar Curls for Biceps

In this video, your coach Skip La Cour outlines some things for you to focus on when doing Mass Machine Training Curl Bar Curls for biceps.

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM25 Whey Protein on Bodybuilding.com

9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 9karat is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Too much testosterone in the Gym, eh....

Hi Skip.

Been wondering about this for a while, and think you might have had some experience with this.

Been working out for a good 10 years now, and lift pretty heavy, and would consider myself a light heavy weight sized bodybuilder. Every now and then you come across some funny people in the gym. Me being a pretty nice guy, gets extremely annoyed when the beasts (most often big big boys, but not always) come prowling through gym, throwing barbells and dumbbells (after finished sets) just for the sake of it (intimidation/tarzan syndrome), and scream at the top of their lungs, with what I'd consider a pathetic low weight, compared to their size. Normally I don't give them much attention(minding my own business), but sometimes I can't help imagining a scenario where all hell could break lose (altercation ect.) Cause admittedly I get worked up sometimes (to the point of confrontation), by the constant staredowns, and Arnold impersonation walking back and forth through the gym like a emperior or something. I keep telling myself, that it must be the fact that I lift pretty heavy weights, that cause this sort of relationship with them. I try to shy away from the fact, that Roids most certainly are involved (It's being discussed loudly among them).

I understand that alot of testosterone runs through a gym with intensity, but looking at your accomplishments, I can't help but wonder if you haven't been in similar situations? And what suggestions you'd have, let it go, or go at them? Or perhaps another option.

Cheers

Daniel

Originally Posted by 9karat View Post
    Hi Skip.

Been wondering about this for a while, and think you might have had some experience with this.

Been working out for a good 10 years now, and lift pretty heavy, and would consider myself a light heavy weight sized bodybuilder. Every now and then you come across some funny people in the gym. Me being a pretty nice guy, gets extremely annoyed when the beasts (most often big big boys, but not always) come prowling through gym, throwing barbells and dumbbells (after finished sets) just for the sake of it (intimidation/tarzan syndrome), and scream at the top of their lungs, with what I'd consider a pathetic low weight, compared to their size. Normally I don't give them much attention(minding my own business), but sometimes I can't help imagining a scenario where all hell could break lose (altercation ect.) Cause admittedly I get worked up sometimes (to the point of confrontation), by the constant staredowns, and Arnold impersonation walking back and forth through the gym like a emperior or something. I keep telling myself, that it must be the fact that I lift pretty heavy weights, that cause this sort of relationship with them. I try to shy away from the fact, that Roids most certainly are involved (It's being discussed loudly among them).

I understand that alot of testosterone runs through a gym with intensity, but looking at your accomplishments, I can't help but wonder if you haven't been in similar situations? And what suggestions you'd have, let it go, or go at them? Or perhaps another option.

Cheers

Daniel
    Hi Daniel......

I can certainly understand how a situation like this can be annoying. At the same time, I can also understand if someone else found the same situation humorous--or another person found the situation intimidating.

My point is, however you decide to interpret what's going on around you, it is a DECISION you are making.

I really don't get too involved with what people think, say, or do--unless it directly affects me or my family. I certainly don't spend a lot of time or energy wondering if they are just trying to intimidate other people or their behavior is caused by any drug use. Me being the person who initiates a stare-down with an annoying person is never going to happen--let alone a physical altercation.

I'm focused on what I have to do to achieve my goals in life. I'm not going to create any more distractions than I already have unless I am forced to.

Through my years with working with people (in and out of the bodybuilding world) and my lifelong fascination with why we as people do the things we do, I understand that everyone who is going through the "game" of life is presented with their share of challenges--which they manifest in their actions in many different ways.

I look at people who act liek that and assume that life has dealt them some major, devastating blows--many of which may have been started in early childhood. They are dealing with them "the best way they know how." Heck, if they want to stomp around the gym to feel good about themselves, so be it. It's a lot better than robbing my house. LOL

What if one just lost his job or his wife just left him? What if he just lost his house or has some other major financial challenges? What if you knew his father, mother, or both were alcoholics or dug users when he was growing up? What if you knew his father died at an early age or his father left the family to make another set of children? What if the were molested as little boys? Who knows what's causing their annoying behavior? Would you look at the situation any differently?

I have no idea what's really going in the minds of annoying people--but that's how I DECIDE to interpret what's going on.

Again, I have things I have to focus on doing and I don't need to create anymore distractions than I already have.

Good question.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 12-16-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Talk Radio Show and Podcast

12-16-12

Small Commitments Will Lead To Large Commitments With Your Bodybuilding and Training Efforts

In this podcast, Skip offers some easy, small commitments that will take your efforts to the next level over time.

Click Here to Listen to Podcast

Which one of my many information products is the very best for BEGINNERS?

Without a doubt, it's my 13-hour audio seminar course Bodybuilding and Training MASTERY - Step-By-Step. You simply can't go wrong as I take you through every step of what it takes to build muscle, lose body fat, stay motivated, and create a productive lifestyle that supports your efforts. You'll get 3 eBooks including my best-seller Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding Nutrition absolutely FREE too. Every beginner who is truly committed must DEVOUR this information--and execute it. Throw in my Packing On Muscle digital movie dowload and you are all set. Go here to order and get them downloaded to you today.

The Only Time You Are Growing Is When You Are Uncomfortable

Isn't it interesting how things that you once found challenging became so much easier once you finally just jumped in and attacked them? Don’t spend too much time avoiding those things you fear. Reflect back to those many references you undoubtedly had when you stepped up and performed well despite your fear.

The only time you are growing is when you are uncomfortable.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.

Mass Machine Mindset #15

If there are two sets of dumbbells that are the same weight, always grab the set that is FURTHER UP THE RACK.

It’s one of those mental disciplines that signify to your brain that you are always pushing for more.

It’s one of the seemingly insignificant actions that have a HUGE impact on the standards you hold yourself up to over time.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM60EFL Energy and Fat Loss Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

Location: Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100) Hulkamania78 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hey Skip having seen my sister PPhelps83 transform herself and I took note of the the,Mass Machine mindset and training regiment to lose 50 pounds I am at the stage where I have set a photo shoot goal for the end of March 2013. One day I want to step on the stage as a BB competitor. But being on routine 4 of MM I am ready to step it up to finally get ripped. I am constantly reading the boards for some inspiration and have delved into the podcasts quite a lot.

I have everything in place for 28 December launch and am going through my nutrition as I am at 2800 Kals 40/40/20 split at the moment. I want to thank you for all you have done for me to change my life and believe in myself again. I will post updates as I go but thanks Skip you have made such a difference in my whole life and the outlook is Mass Machine all,the way.

Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey Skip,

What is your shoulder to shoulder measurement?? =D

Originally Posted by Hulkamania78 View Post
    Hey Skip having seen my sister PPhelps83 transform herself and I took note of the the,Mass Machine mindset and training regiment to lose 50 pounds I am at the stage where I have set a photo shoot goal for the end of March 2013. One day I want to step on the stage as a BB competitor. But being on routine 4 of MM I am ready to step it up to finally get ripped. I am constantly reading the boards for some inspiration and have delved into the podcasts quite a lot.

I have everything in place for 28 December launch and am going through my nutrition as I am at 2800 Kals 40/40/20 split at the moment. I want to thank you for all you have done for me to change my life and believe in myself again. I will post updates as I go but thanks Skip you have made such a difference in my whole life and the outlook is Mass Machine all,the way.
    Awesome, Hulkamania78

There is a lot more ahead of you!

Keep on keepin' om.

Originally Posted by Samuli View Post
    Hey Skip,

What is your shoulder to shoulder measurement?? =D
    I have no idea, Samuli.

Building a great physique is all about building the right proportions--not creating sheer size. Sometimes, a little LESS here or there is what you need to create the best physique. There are a lot of "big" guys with physiques that aren't to impressive. It certainty doesn't live up to the body part measurements they of oftentimes brag about.

I've never been into the "numbers" after my first couple of years of bodybuilding--and before learning the lesson I just shared with you.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Every Setback Has With It the Potential for Growth

A setback can serve as an empowering lesson and catalyst to propel you forward. Or, a setback can be just a plain old setback. It's up to you DECIDE its true meaning in your life.

Oftentimes, a setback will not reveal itself as a powerful lesson that takes you to the next level in some way, shape, or form until some point in the future. Whether it's one week later; one month later; one year later; or one decade later, you will not discover the positive meaning behind your perceived setback unless you actively look for it.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM30 Maximum Performance Multivitamin on Bodybuilding.com

I Need Your Email Address for a Special MASS MACHINE on Bodybuilding.com List

This request is for everyone who reads this thread here on Bodybuilding.com

I get a lot of people from all over the internet on a daily basis entering their email addresses for my information.

This special list helps me direct important posts, podcasts, and unique offers that I will only offer YOU as a visitor to the Bodybuilding.com message board.

Just send me a blank email here--and I will take care of the rest.

massmachine@massmachinenutrition.com

Thanks for supporting me--and for supporting Mass Machine Nutrition on Bodybuilding.com. I really appreciate it.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Become Your Own Toughest Critic and Your Most Encouraging Cheerleader

Your standards in life will determine your level of success. Always remember that your standards can never be too high.

Never try to convince yourself that your standards are already high enough. There's always more you can achieve for everything you do in life. You don't want to figure that out later after wasting a lot of time being too complacent. You'll never get that time back.

Never try to convince yourself that your standards are higher than other people's standards. You really have no idea what other people do on a day-to-day basis. Assuming you are doing better than others--even if that were true--really doesn't matter if you are satisfied with own results.

In order for you to continually take your efforts to higher levels, you must become your own toughest critic and your most persuasive, encouraging cheerleader. This balancing act is an acquired skill that can only be developed through constant monitoring and self-assessment.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Skip, I don't know quite how to phrase this question, but I am wondering if it's "normal" or "okay" that I am stronger in isolation type exercises than in "big" exercises. For instance I use more weight on the leg extension than I do on the leg press, and more weight on tricep extensions and shoulder press than I do on chest press. I don't think I'm particularly cheating on smaller movements and in bigger ones I'd say I'm maybe a bit over careful of achy joints. But especially when I look at other peoples workout logs or even my husband who has a bad back and does a lot more on say leg press vs. leg extension, it seems like I must be doing something wrong when the exercises I think I should be progressing on are lagging behind.

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today

Originally Posted by CewSaw View Post
    Hi Skip, I don't know quite how to phrase this question, but I am wondering if it's "normal" or "okay" that I am stronger in isolation type exercises than in "big" exercises. For instance I use more weight on the leg extension than I do on the leg press, and more weight on tricep extensions and shoulder press than I do on chest press. I don't think I'm particularly cheating on smaller movements and in bigger ones I'd say I'm maybe a bit over careful of achy joints. But especially when I look at other peoples workout logs or even my husband who has a bad back and does a lot more on say leg press vs. leg extension, it seems like I must be doing something wrong when the exercises I think I should be progressing on are lagging behind.
    That's fine, CewSaw.

As long as you are effectively stimulating the target muscle group, that's all that really matter. We all have exercises that we just feel more comfortable and perform better with than others.

Also, from the examples you gave, I'm not sure if those are accurate comparisons. Different machines vary in terms of style, angles, types of leverage they use, how well they are maintained, and even how they "measure" the weight. So, it's probably not useful making a direct comparison between the leg extensions and leg press and between a triceps machine and a chest machine.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today
    .[/QUOTE]

BRAND NEW PODCAST!

Podcast #23 - December 19, 2012

"If You Think It--You Must Do It!"

Keys Points and Links Mentioned During this Podcast:

* Special "Mass Machine" Message Board Mailing List: massmachine@massmachinenutrition.com.

* "I am a MASS MACHINE!" is what you'll when you are doing your DISCIPLINE of checking into this thread.

* Click Here to Like the Skip La Cour ******** Page--and make sure you put it in your News Feed and Interests.

* Click Here for "Results University."

* Coupon Code is "board"

Click Here to listen and/or download this week's podcast.

Send me your FEEDBACK about this episode at skip@massmachinenutrition.com

Catch up on all the Mass Machine Bodybuilding.com Message Board Podcasts You Missed

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #1
    "What You Can Expect From This Weekly Podcast Created Just For This Bodybuilding.com Message Board"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #2
    "The Mass Machine Nutrition Story (So Far)- Part #1: This Story Is About YOU and Overcoming YOUR Challenges!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #3
    "The Mass Machine Nutrition Story (So Far)- Part #2: This Story Is About YOU and Overcoming YOUR Challenges!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #4
    "Mass Machine Bulking and Cutting Program Challenge Winner James "Canz" Canzanella Co-Hosts, Talks About the Challenge, and Shares His Future Plans"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #5
    "Dwite Tucker (aka Lex29us) joins Skip La Cour the Co-Host for This Week Podcast and "Volunteers" for Some Coaching"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #6
    "Don't Blow the Opportunities You've Worked Hard To Create By Only Going 90% of the Way There!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #7
    "Let's Add Some Entertainment To This Message Board With Some 'Big Brother' Advice About Life"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #8
    "Skip Talks About '49 Days to Confidence', What He Loves About Podcasts, Some of the Stupid Things That Bother Him, and a Lot of Other Ramblings"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #9
    "Two Hidden Downsides of the Structured Bodybuilding and Training Lifestyle"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #10
    "Mass Machine Portia Phelps Wins Bodybuilding.com's Transformation of the Week and Shares Her Story"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #11
    "5 Steps To Take That Will Help You Succeed In Any Area of Your Life"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #12
    "Have People In Your Life Who Make You Feel 'Lazy'"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #13
    "What Our Fellow Mass Machine Dwite Tucker (Lex29us) Would Have Wanted Us To Learn In His Passing"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #14
    "Tony Ruggiero Joins the Podcast and Skip Talks About When He Was 'Devastated' By Coming in Second Place"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #15
    "Skip Talks About What It Takes To Succeed With Your Efforts and the Business of Bodybuilding with Tony Ruggiero"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #16
    "Success Strategies That You May Not Fully Understand Yet (Don't Listen To This Podcast Unless You Want To Be MASSIVELY Successful!)"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #17
    "Skip Talks About Some of the Places He Has Traveled as a Bodybuilder; A Little Business as a Bodybuilder; and A Few On the Road Stories"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #18
    "Follow The Advice of the Coach or Mentor You've Chosen Even If His Advice Doesn't Make Sense To You"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #19
    "The Importance of Taking Inventory of Your Progress and Accomplishments During Every Step of Your Journey"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #20
    "Skip Encourages You To Become 'Relentless" While Pursuing Your Goals and Shares His Thoughts on the Passing of His First Mentor Zig Ziglar"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #21
    "Skip Announces His Plans for the 2013 Mass Machine Nutrition "49 Days To SUPREME Confidence Transformation Challenge"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #22
    "Creating The Change You Need To Make 2013 An Awesome Year"

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pphelps83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Hey Skip

I seem to have sticking points on some exercises , where i never seem to prgress above a certain amount of weight or reps . Is this normal? It seems to be the bench press and military press that i get stuck on.

Portia

I am a mass machine
    Last edited by pphelps83; 12-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Train hard and Think Big

I am a relentless Mass Machine

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally Posted by pphelps83 View Post
    Hey Skip

I seem to have sticking points on some exercises , where i never seem to prgress above a certain amount of weight or reps . Is this normal? It seems to be the bench press and military press that i get stuck on.

Portia

I am a mass machine
    Hi Portia.

You will not be able to lift more weight and do more reps forever. Eventually, that type of progress will stop. Just do your best to make your maximum is a true physical maximum--rather than a mental one.

Just because you are not continually lifting more weight or doing more reps doesn't mean you can't improve the quality of your set.

Concentrate on slightly better form, execution, mind-muscle connection, and even enjoyment during every set.

There's always more you can achieve it terms of improvement--even if it isn't more weight and/or more reps.

Also, remember that, just because you are at a physical "plateau" now, it doesn't mean it will necessarily last forever.

Keep on keepin' on!

Train Hard. Think Big.

IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I am a Mass Machine!
    Another great podcast Skip! Just checking in to let you know that I listen to both of your podcasts every week and check the Mass Machine message board every day. They are an awesome source of motivation for me. Love the MM250! Keep on keepin' on!

Originally Posted by IRONWARRI0R View Post
    I am a Mass Machine!
    Another great podcast Skip! Just checking in to let you know that I listen to both of your podcasts every week and check the Mass Machine message board every day. They are an awesome source of motivation for me. Love the MM250! Keep on keepin' on!
    Awesome! Thanks for checking in, brother.

Mass Machine Mindset #16

If You Think It—You Must Do It!

Every time that part of your brain with “Supreme Confidence” tells you to go for more—then do it! Make the COMMITMENT to stop questioning that part of you that knows who you REALLY are and what you are REALLY capable of doing.

Step up. Man up. Trust your instincts. Do what that real winner inside of you instructs you to do.

No more rationalizing. No more excuses. No more talking yourself out of it because it is the “smart” thing to do. If you think it—you must do it!

When you are doing cardio, look at the machine readings, and KNOW you should pumping at least 80 RPMs (for example)—then do it! The thought entered your mind. Do what it told you to do. Give it your very best effort.

When you are about to begin a set and your first thought is to pick up the 50-pound dumbbells—then do it! Don’t talk yourself out of it.

When you know you really should do at least 8 reps during your next set with the weight you’ve chosen (for example)—demand yourself to it! Don’t rationalize and make any number less than 8 reps acceptable.

You will discover that you’ll come through far more often than not just because you demanded yourself to do so.

This Mass Machine Mindset will get stronger and stronger the more often you use it and the longer you work at it. In time, this mindset will become stronger just like your muscles get stronger when you exercise them. It just becomes who you are as a person at the core.

This Mass Machine Mindset will permeate to ALL areas of your life.

And, yes, there will be time when you’ll see “Damn! I thought it—now I have to do it! I HATE this crap!” Remember, that’s just part of the exciting game and engaging challenge that comes with continual improvement. (Think of me every time you are cursing at yourself.) LOL

If you think it—you must do it!

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM60EFL Energy and Fat Loss Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

Closed Thread
Page 259 of 364 FirstFirst ... 159 209 249 257 258 259 260 261 269 309 359 ... LastLast