Closed Thread
Page 275 of 364 FirstFirst ... 175 225 265 273 274 275 276 277 285 325 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,250 of 10915
    derrickd241 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for your mass machine training is that a great way to lose fat along with 20 mins of hiit a couple times a week?? or any other tips on losing the fat? thanks much!!

I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by derrickd241 View Post
    for your mass machine training is that a great way to lose fat along with 20 mins of hiit a couple times a week?? or any other tips on losing the fat? thanks much!!
    Hi derrickd241....

Thanks for coming to this thread for your very first post in the Bodybuilding.com Forum! I'm glad you are here.

I want you to invest just 25 minutes watching these videos that I've assembled for you.

It will be the VERY BEST investment of time that you can make because are really committed to understanding what it REALLY takes to earn the body you want.

After watching them, you'll understand the roles that weight training and cardiovascular training have--and do NOT have--in helping you lose your body fat.

Let me know if you have any questions after watching the videos.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Lose Body Fat - What Are The Best WEIGHT TRAINING Routines To Lose Body Fat?

Time: 3:00

To Build Muscle and Lose Body Fat, You'll Have To Know The Answer To These Questions

Time: 6:29

"Intense" Cardiovascular Training Helps You Lose Fat More Efficiently

Time: 4:13

Lose Body Fat - Don't Expect An Ambitious Cardio Program Alone to Help You Lose Body Fat!

Time: 2:34

"What Are The Best Bodybuilding Supplements That Build Muscle and Lose Fat The Fastest?"

Time: 2:39

The Best and Worst Ways To Determine If You Are Losing Body Fat

Time: 7:25

Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When you say heavy sets how are they organized?

For example lets say im doing dumbell chest press. I warm up with 15 pound dumbells, another set of 25 pound dumbells, then i do 5 reps with 45 lb dumbells, and then i do as many reps with 70 pound dumbells. (usually 10) and then after a few workouts ill go up in weight.

1. I would like to know first how you would warm up, and what you would consider to be my heavy sets (like is it the 70's or the 70's and 45's.)
    2. How long you would rest between your warm up sets and heavy sets?

approximately

DylanT38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have always looked fit even though I have never committed to working out. Recently, I made the decision to consistently go to the gym and i am on day three and sore. When I am doing any work out (Back and chest mainly) I feel like I am just working out my biceps and not what I am trying to target. Do you have any advice for me on how to really target my chest and back?

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Adel95 View Post
    When you say heavy sets how are they organized?

For example lets say im doing dumbell chest press. I warm up with 15 pound dumbells, another set of 25 pound dumbells, then i do 5 reps with 45 lb dumbells, and then i do as many reps with 70 pound dumbells. (usually 10) and then after a few workouts ill go up in weight.
    Hi Adel95.

Another person posting for the very first time on the bodybuilding.com Forum right here on this thread. Welcome!

In this short video, I outline my suggestions for warming up:

What Is The Best Way To Warm Up For A Workout? How Many Sets? How Many Reps? How Much Weight?

1. I would like to know first how you would warm up, and what you would consider to be my heavy sets (like is it the 70's or the 70's and 45's.)
    2. How long you would rest between your warm up sets and heavy sets?

approximately
    Watch this video where I explain my views on rest between sets.

What Is the Best Length of Time To Rest Between Sets When You Want to Pack On Muscle?

Let me know how much you find these videos helpful or if you have any follow up questions.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Adel95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have another question. In your routines you say 3 heavy sets, 4-6 reps for chest days on benching. By 3 heavy sets do you mean 3 heavy sets that are all the same weight, or 3 sets at increasing weight

Originally Posted by DylanT38 View Post
    I have always looked fit even though I have never committed to working out. Recently, I made the decision to consistently go to the gym and i am on day three and sore. When I am doing any work out (Back and chest mainly) I feel like I am just working out my biceps and not what I am trying to target. Do you have any advice for me on how to really target my chest and back?
    Hi DylanT38.....

Welcome to the thread! I'm flattered you decided to make your very first post here on the Bodybuilding.com Forum in my thread.

I see you are 20 years old. Awesome!

Watch these videos where I take my 19 year old nephew through a couple of workouts.

You'll get the BACK and CHEST training tips and key distinctions for success that you are looking for by doing so.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Mass Machine Training Back Workout - Teen Training with Ronnie La Cour

Mass Machine Training Chest and Abs Workout - Teen Training with Ronnie La Cour

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 02-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.

I have another question. In your routines you say 3 heavy sets, 4-6 reps for chest days on benching. By 3 heavy sets do you mean 3 heavy sets that are all the same weight, or 3 sets at increasing weight
    Hi Adel95....

After you have warmed up sufficiently, you are ready to attacked the heavy, overload set for the remainder of that body part workout. Mass Machine Training never intentionally incorporates "pyramiding sets."

Ideally, you choose a weight that's heavy enough that you will only be able to lift no more than 6 reps (or, 8 of the weeks that call for the 6 to 8 rep range)--but you can always do at least 4 reps (or, 6 of the weeks that call for the 6 to 8 rep range).

The weight should not vary if you have selected the proper weight but the number of reps you are able to lift in each set might be different.

Don't assume that, just because you were "only" to get 5 reps on set #1 that you will only get that number or fewer on the follow sets.

Your mind may get stronger now that you've "felt" that weight and you may even get 6 reps on set #2 and set #3.

Train Hard. Think Big.

cehrshark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post 4-6 reps only vs 4-6 & 8-10 reps

Hello Skip. Congratulation for your thread. In a recent article about the golden principles of training, you underscore that intensity was the key to getting better results on mass and recommended working with 4-6 reps.; however, many authors speak that in this range is obtained sarcomeric hypertrophy- that is great- but working between 8-10 reps adds growth too (through sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). and that ideally combine both. What do you say about it. Thank you. P.D: sorry if my written english is not perfect.

Originally Posted by cehrshark View Post
    Hello Skip. Congratulation for your thread. In a recent article about the golden principles of training, you underscore that intensity was the key to getting better results on mass and recommended working with 4-6 reps.; however, many authors speak that in this range is obtained sarcomeric hypertrophy- that is great- but working between 8-10 reps adds growth too (through sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). and that ideally combine both. What do you say about it. Thank you. P.D: sorry if my written english is not perfect.
    Hi cehrshark.

I believe that if a person knows how to train properly and trains with sufficient intensity, training in the 8 to 10 rep range can be very effective at initiating the muscle-building process. (I've done so myself.)

I believe that if a person knows how to train properly and trains with sufficient intensity, training in the 4 to 6 rep range can be very effective at initiating the muscle-building process. (I've done that as well.)

I also believe that if a person does NOT train properly and without enough intensity (or, has not yet learned or felt what that REALLY means), he will NOT build muscle effectively--no matter if he uses the 8 to 10 rep range OR the 4 to 6 rep range.

We all know those people in the gym who "think" they execute well and train hard just because they've selected a training routine or style that most people agree will produce gains. They may move the weights from "point A" to "point A" just like those who really know what they are doing--but that really haven't figured out the essence of effective training. Well, at least not yet.

My Mass Machine Training and it's 4 to 6 and 6 to 8 rep schemes help a person physically, mentally, and emotionally--all of which all lead to greater physical results. Mass Machine Training helps you FEEL what intensity really is in obvious and not-so-obvious ways. It's built right into the program. Mass Machine Training works on your MIND just as much as it works on your body.

That's why advocate this training style.

Train Hard. Think Big.

H0n3y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Skip, Thank you for the link. I had a question & need some help: I would love to compete in a Bikini Competition & have been working out on a plan that was made out for me. But I dont see any change since my first pic that I took when i started this plan. I am opposite from everybody, I have to gain weight. Right now i weigh 112 and would love to get to at least 118 - 120. My goal weight is 123 but getting to 115 seems hard enough. I'm book smart but not fitness smart, lol. I also have a meal plan but really dont know how to follow it. I think I'm doing it the right way because I weigh my food but my weight goes up and down. What do you suggest? Do you think I need a trainer at the gym? Maybe I'm doing the exercises the wrong way. How about the meal plan? I dont understand when they say protein - 25. I need something that is specific, like protein - 4oz chicken. Can you please shed some light my way? This is my dream for years & seems like I will never get there. I feel like at my age it will be harder to acheive anything especially the flat stomach.

H0n3y

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are new to 4-6 reps training and you are consistently picking the "wrong" amount of weight (I mean, I'll pick something I can't lift more that a couple times or something I can go on and on with for 20+ reps) should you just discard the whole set and start over? Particularly if you can do a lot more reps than you thought you could... This sounds "silly" to have such an extreme variance but our gym has all new equipment and I no longer know what I can do for 8-10 reps, let alone 4-6. (I asked you once about machines and you said it may not be useful to compare one to the other, and I am learning now even the exact same machine exercise seems to be different from machine to machine!!!!) Plus I have some problems I am working around, very creaky joints... no pain, just I'm being cautious. Anyway when I "stop and go" I feel like I'm not getting anything done at all. More like shooting darts and guessing what I can do! And when I go on and on and on I feel like I'm just sitting there taking up space

I don't suppose it's that critical if I'm fumbling around figuring out what I can do (for a few weeks), I was just wondering your thoughts!

Originally Posted by H0n3y View Post
    Hi Skip, Thank you for the link. I had a question & need some help: I would love to compete in a Bikini Competition & have been working out on a plan that was made out for me. But I dont see any change since my first pic that I took when i started this plan.
    Hi H0n3y.

Welcome to this thread.

I looked at the time span between photos and it was 1 1/2 months. I'm glad that you are eager to succeed but are going to need to be a little more patient than that.

I am opposite from everybody, I have to gain weight. Right now i weigh 112 and would love to get to at least 118 - 120. My goal weight is 123 but getting to 115 seems hard enough.
    You want to gain QUALITY weight--not just weight. You have to train, recover, eat, and repeat on a continual basis to do that. Quality weight gives you the appearance of a bigger and better physique. That takes some time to do it properly. Concentrate on doing that.

Watch this video that explains this in greater detail:

How Much Importance Should You Put On Your Weight On The Scale?

I'm book smart but not fitness smart, lol.
    I always remind myself in all areas of life that I am new to and want to succeed "Everything is hard before it becomes easy."

Keep on keepin' on.

I also have a meal plan but really dont know how to follow it.
    I'm not sure what you mean. What is your meal plan? Are all the calories and the macronutrients of protein, carbohydrates, and fat broken down for you?

Watch this video. This is what you will need to know to gain quality weight.

To Build Muscle and Lose Body Fat, You'll Have To Know The Answer To These Questions

I think I'm doing it the right way because I weigh my food but my weight goes up and down.
    What do you suggest? Do you think I need a trainer at the gym? Maybe I'm doing the exercises the wrong way. How about the meal plan? I dont understand when they say protein - 25. I need something that is specific, like protein - 4oz chicken. Can you please shed some light my way?[/QUOTE]

A trainer can help, no doubt about it. I am not sure what level you are at now and how well you execute the exercises. Did someone write out a training routine for you?

This is my dream for years & seems like I will never get there. I feel like at my age it will be harder to achieve anything especially the flat stomach.

H0n3y
    Right now is the YOUNGEST you'll ever be for the rest of your life. Take advantage of this opportunity.

Please list your training routine and your diet and I will take a look at it.

Ask more questions if you'd like.

I'm really not sure what level you are at right now.

Train Hard. Think Big.

cehrshark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Thank you for your answer. More important than the range of reps is working out that range with the right weight. I understand that and agree with you. I hope write you soon about my progress doing this mass machine routine.

Who Will Be Joining the Podcast LIVE Tonight and Contributing to the Discussion?

Lesson #3
    "How To Make the Most of Your Time--No Matter What Your Age May Be"

LIVE Call-In Podcast (Only 25 People Will Be Able To Join the Conversation)

Wednesday, February 20th - 9 pm (Eastern) 6 pm (Pacific)
    (347) 326-9145

Send me an email at skip@massmachinenutrition.com if you plan to join the podcast.

Right Here is where you'll go when the podcast is LIVE.

(Podcast will be made available afterward)

Train Hard. Think Big.

Hi Skip, Thanks for responding to my questions. Yes, someone that use to be a figure competitor has written my meal plan & workout plan. Not sure what you mean about what level I'm in but I have spent hundreds of dollars on all kinds of trainers & still look the same. I have been working out for about 3 years on & off but have stayed consistent for about 1 1/2 months now. Heres a copy of my meal plan which she took out carbs because I was complaining about my stomach:
    Mady Diet - February 11 - March 11 - 2013
    Carb Count Day 1 - 50 Day 2 - 50 Day 3 - 25 Day 4 - 50 Day 5 - 50 Day 6 - 25 Day 7 - 25
    Day 1
    Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 2 Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 3 Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 4
    Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 5 Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 6 Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Day 7 - CHEAT MEAL - PICK ANY MEAL AND HAVE A CHEAT Meal 1 Protein 25 Complex 25 fiberous 0 Meal 2 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 3 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 4 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10 Meal 5 Protein 25 Complex 0 fiberous 10

Protein Sources: CHICKEN BREAST 4 OZ TURKEY BREAST 4 OZ COD 6.5 OZ HALIBUT 5.0 OZ TILAPIA 7.0 OZ ORANGE ROUGHY 6.0 OZ EGG WHITES 3/4 CUP 5 large eggs SALMON 5.5 OZ STEAK 95% LEAN 3.5 OZ GROUND TURKEY BREAST 4.5 OZ GROUND BEEF 4% FAT 4 OZ

Starchy Carbs (CHO): OAT BRAN 1/2 CUP DRY CREAM OF WHEAT 3 TBSP DRY OATMEAL 1/4 CUP DRY, 1/2 CUP COOKED JASMINE RICE 1/4 DRY, 1/2 CUP COOKED Fiberous Carbs (CHO): ASPARAGUS 9.0 OZ BROCCOLI 6.0 OZ GREEN BEANS 6.0 OZ MUSHROOMS 8.0 OZ SPINACH 10.0 OZ SALAD 10.0 OZ ONIONS GREEN, RED, YELLOW PEPPERS BRUSSEL SPROUTS 2 cups FIBEROUS UNLIMITED!!! EAT IT AS YOUR FILLER MEALS.

Snacks: (2 snacks per day) 4 tbsp of peanut butter a day with 2 whey isolate shakes 18 almonds (regular) 2 sugar free popsicles 2 sugar free jello

Fats: EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids OMEGAS)-Morning Flax Oil Flax Seeds

CONDIMENTS: BUTTER BUDS CINNAMON MUSTARD COFFEE TEA DIET SODA SPLENDA/ STEVIA MRS. DASH PAM SPRAY PEPPER VINEGAR 2 TBSP OLIVE OIL on salad OLIVE OIL SPRAY

Supplementation:
    AM: Multi Vitamin EFAs L-Carnitine Calcium Pyruvate Mid Afternoon: EFA's B-Complex Calcium/ Magnesium Before Workout: BCAA Drink Mix Post Workout: L-Glutamine Night: L-Glutamine

I started to lose weight & dropped to almost 110 so I added some carbs here & there on the plan.
    As for my training routine here is what I have for this month (she changes it every month for 3 months, this is the second month):

Day 1 – Shoulders/Back/Cardio
    Shoulders 4 x 15 db side lateral raise superset 4 x 12 db dumbbell press 4 x 15 rear lateral raise 4 x 15 front raise superset 4 x 12 pushups
    Back 4 x 15 widegrip pulldowns superset 4 x 12 one arm db row 4 x 15 closegrip seated cable row
    Cardio - 45 minutes 5 minutes walking lunges 5 minutes interval sprints on treadmill (start at 3.5, get to 7.5) 15 minutes walk at incline at 3.5-4.0
    20 minutes flat walk (wide stride)

Day 2 – Legs/Glutes/Abs/ Cardio
    4 x 15 leg extensions quads superset 4 x 15 leg curls hamstrings 4 x 15 shoulder width smith machine squats 4 x 20 wide leg press 4 x 30 (15 each leg) jumping switch lunge 4 x 20 high jumps squats - plyometrics 4 x 15 db squat hold dumbbell between legs 4 x 15 db stiff leg lift
    4 x 30 crunches 4 x 30 leg lifts
    Cardio - 45 minutes 5 minutes box jumps - jump one minute rest, jump, rest, jump as many as you can do in 5 minutes 5 minutes interval sprints on treadmill (start at 3.5, get to 7.5) 5 minutes walking lunges 30 minutes flat walk (wide stride)

Day 3 – Cardio - 50 minutes Treadmill walking - wide stride

Day 4 - Chest/Arms/ Abs/Cardio Chest
    4 x 15 db incline press superset 4 x 15 incline db fly 4 x 10 db flat press superset 4 x 12 pushups on bench
    Arms 4 x 15 pushdowns superset 4 x 15 incline db curl 4 x 15 overhead extensions superset 4 x 15 preacher curls with barbell 4 x 15 bench dips superset 4 x 10 standing barbell curl
    Abs 4 x 30 leg lifts 4 x 30 crunches on decline bench
    Cardio - 45 minutes 5 minutes walking lunges 5 minutes side to side squats on treadmill or across the gym, 2:50 minutes each direction 15 minutes walk at incline at 3.5-4.0 20 minutes flat walk (wide stride)

Day 5 – Glutes/Shoulders/Cardio
    Glutes 4 x 20 single leg glute press superset 4 x 20 hyper extensions 4 x 20 glute kick backs superset 4 x 20 stability ball glute raises
    Shoulders 4 x 10 side db lateral raise superset 4 x 10 front db raise
    Cardio - 45 minutes 5 minutes box jumps - jump one minute rest, jump, rest, jump as many as you can do in 5 minutes 5 minutes interval sprints on treadmill (start at 3.5, get to 7.5) 5 minutes walking lunges 30 minutes flat walk (wide stride)

Day 6 - Cardio - 50 minutes Treadmill walking - wide stride

Day 7 - OFF

I do the exercises as stated but sometimes I dont understand some of what she writes so I watch it on YouTube if they have an example on it. I honestly dont know how to do squats on a treadmill, lol. Thank you so much for helping me out.

H0n3y (sorry so long)

Hi Skip, Thanks for responding to my questions. Yes, someone that use to be a figure competitor has written my meal plan & workout plan. Not sure what you mean about what level I'm in but I have spent hundreds of dollars on all kinds of trainers & still look the same. I have been working out for about 3 years on & off but have stayed consistent for about 1 1/2 months now. Heres a copy of my meal plan which she took out carbs because I was complaining about my stomach:
    Mady Diet - February 11 - March 11 - 2013

Wow!

So you have to be 100% honest with me........

Here is everything all lined out........what would you say your follow through percentage is for doing everything just as it is lined out?

Be honest.

90% being honest. I sometimes think there is too much cardio, so I wont do the whole 40 mins, I'll do 30 instead of fear of losing weight. I also skip Wednesdays completely, again cardio.

H0n3y

90% being honest. I sometimes think there is too much cardio, so I wont do the whole 40 mins, I'll do 30 instead of fear of losing weight. I also skip Wednesdays completely, again cardio.

H0n3y
    So, tell me SPECIFICALLY what your questions are.

List them out.

BRAND NEW PODCAST!

Podcast #32 - February 20, 2013

Lesson #3 of the Mass Machine Nutrition "49 Days To SUPREME Confidence" Ultimate Transformation Challenge

"How To Make the Most of Your Time--No Matter What You Age Is"

Click Here to listen and/or download this week's podcast.

Send your completed assignment to me at skip@massmachinenutrition.com by Monday morning at 8 am Pacific time to be eligible for prizes.[/size]

PAST LESSONS/PODCASTS

Lesson #1 - "Who Do You Think You Are?" - Click Here to listen and/or download this week's podcast.

Lesson #2 - "How To Effectively Process All of the Bodybuilding and Training Information Available" - Click Here to listen and/or download this week's podcast.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip, Thanks so much for this last podcast. It helped me understand your perspective on helping people. My understaning is that your desire is not to be a "validator" for each person that crosses your path, your desire is that they depend more on their own opinion. I appreciated your authenticity, as well as your way of confronting potential unhealthy thinking patterns that can stimualte "Attention Seeking" and exaccerbated by the degree the we "need validation". Very helpful Skip, Thanks.
    "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"
    John Quincy Adams

One of the very worst and most painful nights of my life was when I realized after Pre-Judging that I was not going win my class at this contest.

All of that goal-setting; all of that visualization; all of that hard work and sacrifice wasn't going to pay off the way I had planned. I won the Overall Title at that very same show the year before which made this "defeat" even more devastating.

I couldn't even sleep for a minute the entire night. I was rolled up in fetal position wondering what was I going to do with my life now. The feelings were INTENSE, to say the least.

I came in second place in that show to this young kid who was eventually going to do pretty well in bodybuilding. His name?

Kai Greene.

Maybe you've heard of him.

Subscribe to BB.com Thread - SkipLaCour.com Updates - ******** Page - YouTube Channel - MANformation Leadership

tsingleton19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a show in 8 weeks and my chest isn't where I want it to be. I know there aren't any quick fixes but what is something i can do to hit my upper inner chest? Also, is it possible to gain muscle as I am cutting for my show?

Originally Posted by tsingleton19 View Post
    I have a show in 8 weeks and my chest isn't where I want it to be. I know there aren't any quick fixes but what is something i can do to hit my upper inner chest? Also, is it possible to gain muscle as I am cutting for my show?
    Hi tsingleton19...

First of all, good luck in your upcoming show.

Have you entered a show before?

The reason why I ask is because when you get extremely lean, your chest may appear to be a lot better than it is when you have even just a little more body fat.

You ask a question that is often asked: "How do I improve my upper chest?"

Your pectoral muscle is all one muscle. Your basic chest exercises will develop your entire chest. Good execution; hitting the targeted muscle group; great mind-muscle connection; progressively overloading that targeted muscle group with more weight; rest and recovering; backing up those great training habits with sound nutrition habits; and then doing it all over again is what will develop your chest.

If you have done all of that, it may just be a matter of more time or your genetic structure.

Everyone has strengths--and everyone has weaknesses. Your job as a competitive bodybuilder is to accentuate your strengths and camouflage your weaknesses.

Lee Priest is one of the very best and hardest working bodybuilders on the planet--and has been so for many, many years.

Don't you think if there was this magical combination of upper chest exercises he would have found them by now?

He does "just fine" despite structural "weaknesses" in his physique--and so can you (if that's the case).

As far as "Can you gain muscle as you are cutting?"

Just assume that you can--and fight like hell to make it happen.

That's the attitude you must have as you prepare for a contest.

Train Hard. Think Big.

tsingleton19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did my first show last September and took 2nd after being bumped up a weight class. Hoping this time to take Amateur overall this show. Thanks for replying so fast I appreciate Skip. I'll keep fighting like hell when i train.

derrickd241 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    skip,
    i have another question for you i started seriously dieting and exercising a couple months ago not quite sure my bf % right now but fairly high my starting weight was 215 now im down to 205 or so and im looking to ultimately cut down to about 11% bf at 180ish lbs, how much fat should i cut before bulking a little to help out with the fat loss? or just keep losing the fat? what would be the most effective way to reach my goal? thank you again for your help very appreciated!!

Originally Posted by derrickd241 View Post
    skip,
    i have another question for you i started seriously dieting and exercising a couple months ago not quite sure my bf % right now but fairly high my starting weight was 215 now im down to 205 or so and im looking to ultimately cut down to about 11% bf at 180ish lbs, how much fat should i cut before bulking a little to help out with the fat loss? or just keep losing the fat? what would be the most effective way to reach my goal? thank you again for your help very appreciated!!
    Hi derrickd241.....

At this stage of your bodybuilding and training journey, your body is going to respond very well to good, solid, basic, consistent training and eating.

Because you are so new to the process, you will build muscle simply because you are overloading the muscles and eating properly for really the first time.

In addition, because you are so new to the process, you will continue dropping weight (with a lot of it being body fat) because you are more active, adding muscle, and eating properly for the first time.

Take advantage of this time period to the fullest by consistently working hard in the gym and eat well.

Stick with this way of thinking for at least four more months.

You'll be amazed just how well your body transforms simply by executing the BASIC FUNDAMENTALS.

So, there's no need to think too far ahead and incorporate complex strategies. There's no need for you to GUESS what you body weight or body fat percentage will be at a certain point in the future--and then devise another set of strategies for that time period in the future. You really don't have the experience with your body or with the bodybuilding and training process to make those kind of decisions just yet.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

No, let me correct that.

Keep on doing what you are doing--and constantly strive to take those basic fundamentals to higher and higher levels of understanding and, most importantly, consistent execution.

Train Hard. Think Big.

In this story, I am intentionally leaving out the names of the companies out. They aren't important. The purpose of these "Reflections" is to give you a real account at my bodybuilding journey. Well, a real account from MY perspective, at least. This all happened about over 15 years ago.

Even to this to day, getting a single sponsorship from even one supplement company is extremely rare--especially for an amateur bodybuilder. I had two supplement sponsorship with two different supplement companies AT THE SAME TIME and both were fully aware of the other.

I know that sounds strange so let me explain the situation that was going on back then. Company #1 had an entire line of bodybuilding supplements while Company #2 had just one product. No one else had Company #2's one product at that time. That product totally revolutionized the supplement industry.

Company #1 used my image in their ads and I wrote about their products in my magazine articles in exchange for free product every month.

Company #2 paid me $800 a month plus gave me bonuses for any television, magazine, and newspaper exposure I gave them. That year, I nailed my bonuses making the second highest dollar amount earned. I was second only to a professional wrestler on national television.

The first company decided to use my name and pictures in a advertisement mailer. In fact, the ad was presented as a personal letter from me. They didn't tell me they were going to do this but they didn't have to. That wasn't in the agreement. The ad was one of those long eight-page ads selling this one particular supplement. Almost every company sells that supplement now and, even after all of these years, it remains one of the very best selling and most effective in the industry. The owner of the company told me that the mailer ad did "very, very well." That was a massive mailer sent all over the country.

Well, that ad caught the attention of many of the other sponsored bodybuilders and athletes of Company #2. They were furious. "How can Skip be sponsored by two companies at the same time?" they asked the people in charge.

The person in charge of the sponsored bodybuilders and athletes called me on the phone about it. He was very professional and courteous about the situation. I reminded him that I was totally upfront and told him about the dual sponsorship long beforehand. "I know, Skip." he said. "I just have to take care of this to be fair to everyone else."

I let him know that I had articles in which mentioned Company #1 that were coming out. Back in those days, it took three months from the time you submitted an article to the day it was actually published.

What the Company #2 official decided to do was suspend me without pay until the articles were published and off the shelf. I had a full-time 12-year career other than bodybuilding at the time so I didn't really need the $800 a month.

I decided to make a move that would suit me best in the long run.

I went to Company #1 who ran the advertisement mailer that did "very, very well"--who wasn't paying me anything--and said. "Hey, why don't I just resigned from Company #2 and just be with you exclusively. All I ask is that you pay me the $800 a month they they did.

Company #1's owner eagerly and verbally agreed to that deal. I immediately resigned from Company #2.

Problem solved right? Good times for a hardworking bodybuilder, right?

Well, Company #1 never starting paying the $800 a month and the owner never returned my phone calls, faxes, or emails for the next three months.

Unfortunately, I can tell you at least a half dozen stories just like that one I experienced in my career.

Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    So, tell me SPECIFICALLY what your questions are.

List them out.
    Hi Skip, thanks for responding so quick. Okay so I took your advice & hired a trainer to help me out with my plan. I think I need a little push to lift a little heavier. My questions are only about the meal plan because now I can get help in the working out plan with the trainer:

What do you suggest for gaining clean weight?
    Do you have any sample meal plans that can help me out which lists food?
    Do you weigh your food when its cooked or do you go by the label? For example, when she says "protein 25 or 4 ozs" do you weigh it by grams or ounces or by the label?

I think thats it for now.

H0n3y

Hi Skip, thanks for responding so quick. Okay so I took your advice & hired a trainer to help me out with my plan. I think I need a little push to lift a little heavier.
    Hi H0n3y.....

That's great. A good trainer will motivate you and push you to follow through with your workouts 100% of the time instead of just 90%. You'll see how that make a big difference.

Your trainer will also make sure you are pushing yourself hard enough because they'll have a better idea of what you are truly capable of in the gym.

Hitting the targeted muscle group directly, effectively, and efficiently with every rep, set, and exercise is extremely important--and your trainer will help you do that too.

My questions are only about the meal plan because now I can get help in the working out plan with the trainer:

What do you suggest for gaining clean weight?
    Gaining clean weight is a process. It is a process that takes time. You basically need to push yourself in the gym, rest and recover, eat the way your diet is outlined while your body is resting and recovering from your workouts--and then repeat that over and over again.

It can't be rushed so, the clean weight you gain is the clean weight you gain.

Do you have any sample meal plans that can help me out which lists food?
    The internet is full of meal plans. Check them out and start listing the foods that you enjoy most that fit into your diet.

The standard foods like chicken breasts, tuna, rice, vegetables, and good fats like flax seed oil are some of the foundation foods of any good diet.

You are going to have to "do your homework" and figure you your basic meal plan.

From my experience, the very best people in bodybuilding and fitness generally stick to the same effective foods that fit their caloric and macronutrient goals and requirements--and then add extras occasionally from there.

Do you weigh your food when its cooked or do you go by the label? For example, when she says "protein 25 or 4 ozs" do you weigh it by grams or ounces or by the label?
    What's most important is you are consistent. However you do it, do it the same every day and for every food source. I would ask the person who did your diet what they had in mind when they created it for you.

I assume the "25" means 25 grams of protein that you can figure out from the food package or a conversion chart on the internet. The person who did your diet for you is estimating that there are 25 grams of protein in that particular food source in every 4 ounces.

I think that's it for now.

H0n3y
    I hope that's helpful. You have some work ahead of you as your master your efforts during this journey.

The good thing is that, once you've spent a couple of hours figuring this all out initially, you'll have that knowledge forever. You don't have to do it over and over again every single day of your journey.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Closed Thread
Page 275 of 364 FirstFirst ... 175 225 265 273 274 275 276 277 285 325 ... LastLast