Closed Thread
Page 79 of 364 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 10915
    I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good sunday Skip!

What would you say about his training approach for non-competitive bodybuilder? Maximum muscle building phase for as long as my bodyfat % goes above 10%, then when over 10% I start fat burning phase and repeat.

Or is there a better way to determine when to shift to fat burning or muscle building mode?

Thanks man!
    Last edited by Samuli; 07-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Samuli View Post
    Good sunday Skip!

What would you say about his training approach for non-competitive bodybuilder? Maximum muscle building phase for as long as my bodyfat % goes above 10%, then when over 10% I start fat burning phase and repeat.

Or is there a better way to determine when to shift to fat burning or muscle building mode?

Thanks man!
    I believe you can have "the best of both worlds" (staying under a certain percentage of body fat as long as it's not too low and consistently build muscle).

You just need to eat the right foods, in the right proportion of macro nutrients, the right amount of calories, eat your meals at certain points in the day, and do all of those things consistently over time.

As far as weight training is concerned, you should train to build maximum muscle every time you grab a dumbbell, barbell, or machine handle--no matter what phase you are in.

Besides, I don't exactly know what you mean by a "maximum muscle building phase" and "fat burning phase". Is that a training and eating plan?

So, 10% is the benchmark? What happens when you drop to 9%? Do you then go to the "maximum muscle building phase" until you hit 11% and then switch again.

Execute the fundamentals. Be consistent. Keep things simple and effective.

Last edited by skiplacour; 07-10-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

mrky03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip, this is what I like about your approach to diet and training. Keeping it simple but highly effective!

I've been having some lower back problems, I think I have narrowed the root cause down to my execution on lying weighted leg raises. I should be concentrating more on contracting my abs than simply lifting the weight with my legs, correct?
    NGA Natural Pro

Originally Posted by mrky03 View Post
    Skip, this is what I like about your approach to diet and training. Keeping it simple but highly effective!

I've been having some lower back problems, I think I have narrowed the root cause down to my execution on lying weighted leg raises. I should be concentrating more on contracting my abs than simply lifting the weight with my legs, correct?
    You definitely should be concentrating on your abs doing the work throughout the entire movement. Not just on the way up, control the weight on the way down as well. Use lighter weight until you have this mastered.

Just as with any exercise, you must concentrate on the targeted muscle group--instead of just moving as much weight as you can from "Point A" to "Point B" incorporate additional body parts just to complete the rep.

kawirider05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Love the forum so far. Im going to read more before i ask anything. Keep up the good advise.

Just wanted to say I'm having great workouts. The tips you give really do help and it just goes to show you can always improve at any age! Its all the little things that add up to big progress! Keep up the good work Skip! Killed legs today!
    NGA Natural Pro

Arsiiron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Skip its me again with another dumb question.
    i use your mass machine training Routines to train and im a beginner.
    ive started with Routine 1 and its my 2 week now.
    when i trained biceps and triceps today i took a weight and did my 6 reps and could not do more then 6 reps in each set with that weight for example 15kg dumbbels for alt dumbbel curls and when i finished my biceps training i feeled like yeah ive trained them overload muscle but i still had lot of power in my biceps and wanted to do more but i said to myself just do what your trainings Routine says and not more. triceps was the same,when i was done i felt like i did train well and overload muscle but i still had much power left in muscle.
    and when i trained biceps and triceps last week i felt like 1week rest was too much but then i told myself think about what skip said about overtraining and i just follow the routine.
    my question is, do i need to train more or is it normal that i feel like i didnt really use all the power left in the muscle to maybe do 1-2more exercises for each muscle,because i really took the right weight so i give all i had to do the 4-6 repetitions but for example when i was done with the dumbbel curls i did the 1set hammer curl and felt like this is just too easy and not enough even when the 1set was hard to get the 6 repetitions or when i did the 1set lying triceps press i also felt is was more like a warmup even when the set was hard.
    im really confused since im scared to do overtraining because im a beginner and its a very common beginner mistake but im also scared to maybe waste time and dont build the muscle mass i could build sorry if my questions are dumb but all wanna be pros in my gym tell me strange stuff and confuse me more and non of them knows as much as you lol so yeah it would be great if you could help me please.

Originally Posted by Arsiiron View Post
    Hi Skip its me again with another dumb question.
    Actually, these are excellent questions that will help thousands of beginners just like you who read this thread for years to come.

i use your mass machine training Routines to train and im a beginner.
    ive started with Routine 1 and its my 2 week now.
    Great! It's a very smart move on your part to "take a leap of faith" and use these routines for three months or so--instead of trying to come up with your own routines without any real, practical experience. You are saving yourself a lot of time, frustration, and overwhelm

A lot of my thought, time, effort, and real-life experiences (as opposed to untried theories) went into creating them. There are many physical AND mental reasons why they will help you get results. There are too many benefits to explain before you get started--but you will discover all of them over time when you commit to them.

when i trained biceps and triceps today i took a weight and did my 6 reps and could not do more then 6 reps in each set with that weight for example 15kg dumbbels for alt dumbbel curls and when i finished my biceps training i feeled like yeah ive trained them overload muscle but i still had lot of power in my biceps and wanted to do more but i said to myself just do what your trainings Routine says and not more.
    That is very common--especially for someone who is new to bodybuilding and training. And, that should prove to you that you have a lot more PHYSICAL and MENTAL POWER than you realize. Something inside of you told you that the weight you were using was "heavy enough"--but it turns out that it did NOT totally challenge you like you thought it would.

Adding more set is the LAST thing you want to do--but is usually the very FIRST thing many less experienced lifters do in your position.

I understand you don't feel "satisfied" leaving the gym when you feel you have more strength inside of you! {b}Too bad! Stop at what the routine tells you to do.[/b]

How else are you supposed to learn what REAL INTENSITY is it you can just keep adding more sets to your workout? The truth is that you NEVER will.

Despite what many misguided beginners think, the have NEVER felt REAL INTENSITY. They end up training for years mistakenly believing they do!

Allow that angst to uncomfortably sit with you all week long--so you NEVER have a wimpy, ineffective workout again! Pain, angst, disappointment, and frustration is sometimes the BEST feelings we can have to help us become our best IN THE LONG RUN.

As human beings, we learn more when we are challenged--as opposed when things are easy. We are forced to pay attention!

triceps was the same,when i was done i felt like i did train well and overload muscle but i still had much power left in muscle.
    That's because you trained them in the same wimpy, ineffective manner as you trained your biceps! LOL That's okay. Lesson learned.

You see, I can't TELL you what INTENSITY really is. No one can. It's something that you must FEEL for yourself. Not allowing yourself to add more sets to your workout will, in time, teach you what you are REALLY made of and what you are truly capable of doing.

That's the challenge with many people in the gym. They are convinced that they already train "hard" and train with the utmost "intensity"--even if they don't get the results they want. You can't tell them anything differently.

They just attribute their lack of progress to "poor genetics" or because they are not using drugs like everyone else (so they think).

These Mass Machine Training Routines have MENTAL TOUGHNESS BUILDERS built into in each one of them. You will learn what intensity really is--by teaching yourself.

and when i trained biceps and triceps last week i felt like 1week rest was too much but then i told myself think about what skip said about overtraining and i just follow the routine.
    This is because of the reasons I previously stated. Recovery is extremely important in the muscle building process. When you start training with more intensity, you will NEED that entire week off to fully repair, recover, and recuperate. You can train the muscle MOST EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY until it has fully recovered.

my question is, do i need to train more or is it normal that i feel like i didnt really use all the power left in the muscle to maybe do 1-2more exercises for each muscle,because i really took the right weight so i give all i had to do the 4-6 repetitions but for example when i was done with the dumbbel curls i did the 1set hammer curl and felt like this is just too easy and not enough even when the 1set was hard to get the 6 repetitions or when i did the 1set lying triceps press i also felt is was more like a warmup even when the set was hard.
    You don't need to do "more sets". You need to get "more" out of every set you already do!

That will come in time if you stick with the plan. Trust me.

im really confused since im scared to do overtraining because im a beginner and its a very common beginner mistake but im also scared to maybe waste time and dont build the muscle mass i could build sorry if my questions are dumb but all wanna be pros in my gym tell me strange stuff and confuse me more and non of them knows as much as you lol so yeah it would be great if you could help me please.
    The only way you can overtrain is by being tempted to train each body part more often than outlined.

Click Here to View the Mass Machine Training Routines.

thank you skip for anwsering my questions.
    i was really frustrated yesterday after the workout but now i really start to understand the idea behind the Routine. I have watched alot of videos since yesterday to see how to execute the perfect repetitions and for example your video where you teach Jason Genova helped me alot because i did exactly the same mistakes and i am sure my alt Dumbbel curls were also bad/wrong executed because i did not keep it straight when i moved the dumbble down and turned the dumbble too fast.
    today ill try my best to execute the exercises correctly and keep my attention to that mucle part im training to really feel it and i hope ill feel more satisfied and come a step closer to learn what real intensity is.
    again thank you for time and your awsome anwser.

jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonwilks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Skip, are you a firm believer in using an SKD diet (mostly protein and fat, hardly no carbs, and no cycling of carbs either) to diet down to get ripped? I have been wondering about this for awhile and someone told me that you are.

hi Skip..
    my question is now about supplements, im going to start my 3th week of training the mass machine routine and im not not sure if i should start with creatin since i am a beginner and i dont know how to deal with creatin,how much daily and if i should take it in cures or should i take it permanently..and what about water. how much water should i drink daily if i start using creatin?
    btw ive alaso used the tools from the AST website to create a diet.
    i am 165cm tall and i weigh 60kg.
    according to the nutrition calculator i have to eat :

Calories - 2025

Protein: 227.81 grams
    (911.25 calories)

Carbohydrates: 182.25 grams
    (729 calories)

Fat : 42.75 grams
    (384.75 calories)

i have used the internet to find out the calories,protein,carbs and fat of foods like chicken breast,tuna,beef,noodle,lots of vegetable..then made a diet plan to know when to eat and what to eat.
    so i have 6 meals now and i have made sure that all meals are balanced so there is only small differences in the meals for example the meal after mypost-workout meal has a bit more carbs than my last meal befor bed.
    for example:
    6am breakfast:
    2egg whites + half of banana(87.5g) + proteinshake ( 30g powder + 300ml fat reduced milk)
    330,6 calorien 34.9g protein 34.6g carbs 4,54g fat

my goal was :

337,5 Calories each feeding ( 6 feedings)

38g protain each feeding

30g Carbohydrates each feeding

7.125 g fat each feeding

i would very appreciate it if you could answer my question about creatin and take a look at the structure of my diet.thank you very much.

+ ive made big improvements in 2 weeks even if it sounds stupid but for example i could only do 50kg in flat barbell benchpress and last week i did 3sets with 6reps of 65kg each set
    i am very motivated now haha
    ive also took pictures 2weeks ago when i started to compare my body after maybe 2-3 Routines..or lets say 30weeks to see how big my improvements are after 30weeks of hard mass machine training + diet and ill share the fotos with you then.

Just wanted to say I'm having great workouts. The tips you give really do help and it just goes to show you can always improve at any age! Its all the little things that add up to big progress! Keep up the good work Skip! Killed legs today!
    Awesome!

hi Skip..
    my question is now about supplements, im going to start my 3th week of training the mass machine routine and im not not sure if i should start with creatin since i am a beginner and i dont know how to deal with creatin,how much daily and if i should take it in cures or should i take it permanently..and what about water. how much water should i drink daily if i start using creatin?
    btw ive alaso used the tools from the AST website to create a diet.
    i am 165cm tall and i weigh 60kg.
    according to the nutrition calculator i have to eat :

Calories - 2025

Protein: 227.81 grams
    (911.25 calories)

Carbohydrates: 182.25 grams
    (729 calories)

Fat : 42.75 grams
    (384.75 calories)

i have used the internet to find out the calories,protein,carbs and fat of foods like chicken breast,tuna,beef,noodle,lots of vegetable..then made a diet plan to know when to eat and what to eat.
    so i have 6 meals now and i have made sure that all meals are balanced so there is only small differences in the meals for example the meal after mypost-workout meal has a bit more carbs than my last meal befor bed.
    for example:
    6am breakfast:
    2egg whites + half of banana(87.5g) + proteinshake ( 30g powder + 300ml fat reduced milk)
    330,6 calorien 34.9g protein 34.6g carbs 4,54g fat

my goal was :

337,5 Calories each feeding ( 6 feedings)

38g protain each feeding

30g Carbohydrates each feeding

7.125 g fat each feeding

i would very appreciate it if you could answer my question about creatin and take a look at the structure of my diet.thank you very much.

+ ive made big improvements in 2 weeks even if it sounds stupid but for example i could only do 50kg in flat barbell benchpress and last week i did 3sets with 6reps of 65kg each set
    i am very motivated now haha
    ive also took pictures 2weeks ago when i started to compare my body after maybe 2-3 Routines..or lets say 30weeks to see how big my improvements are after 30weeks of hard mass machine training + diet and ill share the fotos with you then.
    I like the fact that you are being structured and putting thought into every phase of the bodybuilding and training process.

Just make sure that you realize that you are progressing simply by TAKING ACTION--and not having to be "perfect" before taking action.

You can always make adjustments along the way.

Everything looks good.

Here some suggestions on how to take your creatine:

http://www.massmachinenutrition.com/mm1000c

Skip,

I noticed that you're recommending 6-8 reps on the first and last weeks of a Mass Machine training cycle. On the last week do you still go as heavy as possible? I am planning to use this stratigy and next week will be my last week before my week off.
    NGA Natural Pro

NJT8383 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Increasing Weight

Hi Skip,

I've been following Mass Machine training for a year now and loving the results. I have a question about increasing weight. I find that on some exercises I will be able to keep my form and get to the high end of the reps (i.e. when it is 4-6 reps, I can get to 6 reps) if not more, so I increase my weight. But sometimes with this increase, my form starts to suffer. I become conflicted on my approach because I don't know whether or not I should continue to try more time at the lower weight and continue to get solid reps or to increase my weight to overload more but let my form suffer.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Noah

Originally Posted by NJT8383 View Post
    Hi Skip,

I've been following Mass Machine training for a year now and loving the results. I have a question about increasing weight. I find that on some exercises I will be able to keep my form and get to the high end of the reps (i.e. when it is 4-6 reps, I can get to 6 reps) if not more, so I increase my weight. But sometimes with this increase, my form starts to suffer. I become conflicted on my approach because I don't know whether or not I should continue to try more time at the lower weight and continue to get solid reps or to increase my weight to overload more but let my form suffer.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Noah
    That's a great question, Noah.

There's an awesome quote that would work in this training situation, as well as, in most areas of life.

"Everything is hard before it becomes easy."

Just because you aren't handling the increased weight with "perfect" form the very first time you try doesn't mean you aren't going to handle it better in the future.

It may take you until you do the next set; until you try it again during the same workout next week; or even until you try it during the same workout next MONTH when you handle it with form that you are comfortable with.

Sometimes, handling more weigh properly is just a mental challenge. Once you've tried it, you realize it wasn't as difficult as you thought it would be--even though you didn't handle it very well.

You need to keep stretching yourself to do more physically and mentally all the time.

There is always certain point when you simply can't do more with form that's effective. Just make sure that you've exhausted all of your power before settling.

Train Hard--and Think BIG!

Skip,

I noticed that you're recommending 6-8 reps on the first and last weeks of a Mass Machine training cycle. On the last week do you still go as heavy as possible? I am planning to use this stratigy and next week will be my last week before my week off.
    As I've stated before, Mass Machine Training is a physical, mental, emotional, and psychological approach to training.

Whether you realize specifically what each one is or not, my powerful mental strategies are BUILT INTO to every routine and program I give you. They build your mental toughness to achieve more in the gym.

Your strong mind will ALWAYS lead your body into accomplishing more.

========================

During your first week back after taking a week off from weight training for recovery, you'll need to get yourself fully acclimated to train again at your highest level of effectiveness and efficiency.

So, Week #1 of your Mass Machine Training Routine should be viewed as an ACCLIMATION WEEK.

You'll need to get acclimated physically, mentally, and emotionally to the new eight to 10 week stretch-of-time. You'll need to get acclimated to the new routine; the new exercises; the level of intensity needed; and the form and execution needed. Your muscles will need to get acclimated to the direct stimulation which feels much different than when you've been training for consecutive weeks.

You'll need to set need standards to what you can accomplish in the gym because, even if you know what you are capable of doing during certain exercises, that will more than likely CHANGE when the order of the exercises change; when different exercises are added that you haven't done for awhile, and when combination of exercises during the workout change.

You should be able to perform much better during some exercises--and you more than likely should NOT expect the same level of production in some cases (if you trained with the utmost intensity when you did those exercises in "easier" conditions during other routines).

Those are a lot of things to consider your very first week back!

The last thing I want you to do during these "new conditions" is to establish standards that stick with you the entire 8 to 10 week life of the training routine! You really don't know what you are truly capable of yet.

So, during the first week back, do as much weight as you can--just aim for the higher 6 to 8 rep range.

You will be ASTONISHED what that teaches you about what you can accomplish and what your real limits are during the coming weeks.

For years, I would hear about how people physically "beat themselves up" training "too heavy" when they went for 4 to 6 reps.

It's not the 4 to 6 reps that's beating them up. It's that they chose weight that was too heavy FOR THEM when they had the 4 to 6 rep mindset. THEY GUESSED WRONG when they decided how much they could handle.

This 6 to 8 rep strategy during the first week will take the pressure off of you to get the weight "exactly right" during your first week back. Instead, you'll get your body used the stimulation again.

And, by the way, how many times have you lightened up the weight and had the best workout of your life because you finally hit the target muscle group the way you should have done all along (but didn't because you were training "too heavily")?

this is another mental strategy that's built into the program that you teach yourself a lesson through PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE--instead of some training guru trying to teach you it with words that can be interpreted many different ways.

As always well said Skip! That's what I love about your approach, nothing left to chance!

I'm always being ask in the gym what is the best way to develop a certain body part or what is the best routine to follow. Without fail I always just tell them to look up your website and follow your advice!
    NGA Natural Pro

TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheWrath has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Skip I have been wondering, If you are supposed to take each set to failure, and you give it 100% on that first set of an exercise and you have two sets total, would the second set be as optimal if you can only get less reps than the first?

for example, say the program calls for 2 sets of 4-6 on squats and you squat 315 for an all out 100% failure set and fail at 5 reps.
    then you take enough rest to give it your all again for the second set.
    since your in the corrrect rep range you dont change the weight
    you take 315 for an all out failure set but since you previously went to failure with it you only got 4 reps this time.

still in the correct rep range for sets but my question is, if failure on the first set limits your performance on the second set, is the second set going effective?

sometimes 3 sets are called for, if you did all 3 sets to failure, the drop off in strength would increase even more.

just wondering when I was training, I found that the later sets were only productive IF the weight I used in the first sets were too light and I didnt hit failure
    AAEFX REP

callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Skip! I've been really inspired by your physique and Tyrus' transformation!
    I've used your mass machine training routine (First two variants) in the previous 16 weeks.

Here is a pic of my current physique:

Could you rate my physique and hand out any tips/hints/advice on what to do to improve it?

Originally Posted by TheWrath View Post
    Skip I have been wondering, If you are supposed to take each set to failure, and you give it 100% on that first set of an exercise and you have two sets total, would the second set be as optimal if you can only get less reps than the first?

for example, say the program calls for 2 sets of 4-6 on squats and you squat 315 for an all out 100% failure set and fail at 5 reps.
    then you take enough rest to give it your all again for the second set.
    since your in the corrrect rep range you dont change the weight
    you take 315 for an all out failure set but since you previously went to failure with it you only got 4 reps this time.

still in the correct rep range for sets but my question is, if failure on the first set limits your performance on the second set, is the second set going effective?

sometimes 3 sets are called for, if you did all 3 sets to failure, the drop off in strength would increase even more.

just wondering when I was training, I found that the later sets were only productive IF the weight I used in the first sets were too light and I didnt hit failure
    That's a good question and, yes, you would be correct if bodybuilding and training (and the world, for that matter) worked in a predictable, concrete, "black and white" manner.

It doesn't.

If you went to true "failure' during the first set and got 5 reps, you would think that you'd be lucky to just to get 4 reps on the second set. That makes perfect sense.

But think about it:

How many times have actually been in that situation? How many times have you "thought" you went to true failure on the first set--only to meet or exceed that performance on the second set?

What caused this to happen? Were you a really a "wimp" on the first set? Or, were you truly a Mass Machine on the first set and, for some reason, you dug down deep inside and took things to entirely different physical and mental level on the second set?

Who really knows for sure?

The last thing I want you to do is set limits on your second set based on your performance during the first set.

Treat every set like it's the ONLY set you are going to do during that workout.
    Worry about the next set when it's time to do the next set.

Your MIND is your most POWERFUL training tool!

Really think about how effectively you are using it.

Originally Posted by callinswaist View Post
    Hi Skip! I've been really inspired by your physique and Tyrus' transformation!
    I've used your mass machine training routine (First two variants) in the previous 16 weeks.

Here is a pic of my current physique:

Could you rate my physique and hand out any tips/hints/advice on what to do to improve it?
    You look great--especially for 17 years old.

It really goes to show how quality muscle can give an illusion of size. You look much bigger than 5'11" and 148 pounds in those pictures.

As far as advice goes, I really don't know exactly what you are currently doing--but it seems to be working well.

Keep on Keepin' on!

"The Comeback"

What do you think when you witness a person take a huge, disgraceful or embarrassing fall--and then get themselves back on track to make an impressive comeback?

juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post

"The Comeback"

What do you think when you witness a person take a huge, disgraceful or embarrassing fall--and then get themselves back on track to make an impressive comeback?
    Skip,

I think you make a great point - that is, it's a shame when people hold back or miss opportunities because of their fear of embarassment or failure. I suppose the saying "no risk, no reward" holds true - as many, if not all, of the most successful individuals in business, sports, etc., experience failure and setback numerous times before getting it right!

juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000) juan072 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Skip,

Quick deadlift question. Do you think resetting completely after each rep (i.e., set the weight down, wait a second, then lift again) is more effective for building mass than touching the floor briefly and lifting again?

Also, I read a lot about contracting or flexing the lats/glutes as you deadlift, and different techniques that people feel make the exercise a more effective overall mass builder for the posterior chain. Do you have any small tips that you incorporated to get the most out of your deadlifts?

It is easy for me to get caught up with deadlifting as much weight as possible, and I want to ensure I am executing in a way that will build mass most effectively. I am hoping to get 545 x 6 by week 8 of my current mass machine training routine, which will be a personal record for me, and a goal I have been striving to achieve for a long time!

Thank you

Jim

Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by juan072 View Post
    Skip,

Quick deadlift question. Do you think resetting completely after each rep (i.e., set the weight down, wait a second, then lift again) is more effective for building mass than touching the floor briefly and lifting again?

Also, I read a lot about contracting or flexing the lats/glutes as you deadlift, and different techniques that people feel make the exercise a more effective overall mass builder for the posterior chain. Do you have any small tips that you incorporated to get the most out of your deadlifts?

It is easy for me to get caught up with deadlifting as much weight as possible, and I want to ensure I am executing in a way that will build mass most effectively. I am hoping to get 545 x 6 by week 8 of my current mass machine training routine, which will be a personal record for me, and a goal I have been striving to achieve for a long time!

Thank you

Jim
    I know that Skip doesn't reset after each rep and Jeff Willet does reset after every rep so it doesn't matter. Both guys have done amazing things.

Skip,

That's a good question. I don't you believe can go "wrong" anytime you attack Deadlifts. They are an awesome exercise that demands the best out of you physically and mentally.

If doing each rep with a pause is a "10", doing each rep continuously isn't any worse than an 8.5. I think the Deadlift "Purist" might even agree with me on that.

The other thing you need to keep in mind when considering these distinctions is "What's your ultimate goal?" Are you a competitive powerlifter or a bodybuilder? A bodybuilder can "get away with" variations of different exercises and still effectively build muscle and lose body fat.

Anytime you can contract individual muscle groups--while still challenging yourself to lift weight that's heavy enough to continually overload the muscle is an effective approach.

Thank you

Jim
    Just remember that's it's not an "either/or" situation. You can strive for a balance of BOTH at the same time--as long as you make that your goal at the time.

callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10) callinswaist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    You look great--especially for 17 years old.

It really goes to show how quality muscle can give an illusion of size. You look much bigger than 5'11" and 148 pounds in those pictures.

As far as advice goes, I really don't know exactly what you are currently doing--but it seems to be working well.

Keep on Keepin' on!
    Thanks a lot, means a lot to me hearing that from you! Well, I guess I'll follow you're advice and keep on keepin' on with my training!

Originally Posted by callinswaist View Post
    Thanks a lot, means a lot to me hearing that from you! Well, I guess I'll follow you're advice and keep on keepin' on with my training!
    You're welcome--but you did all the work!

The best way to get exactly what you want in life is to KNOW exactly what you want.

After that, you have to ask GREAT QUESTIONS. The better your question, the better chance you have at getting the best answers.

So, instead of asking a VAGUE question like "Do you have any tips for me so I can improve?", you might want to ask something like:

"This is my current physical and mental approach to chest training. My chest isn't developing as quickly as I'd like. Do you have any specific tips on what I can do to improve my chest development?"

Closed Thread
Page 79 of 364 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 ... LastLast