Closed Thread
Page 360 of 364 FirstFirst ... 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 ... LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,800 of 10915
    I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The Mindset and Actions You'll Need To Put Together Your New and Improved "Balanced" Life - More Than Just Muscles Podcast #6

Going from the known to the unknown takes a lot of courage. This is especially true when you feel relatively good about what you are currently doing. Your challenge is just that you want more for your life. If you've invested a number of years putting your fitness goals first, you're probably really good at doing that. It's important to know exactly why it's important for you to balance things out and the mindset and actions you'll need to make the effort worth it.

You'll need some insight and perspective on how to approach the new, exciting, and oftentimes challenging journey that's ahead of you. During this podcast "The Mindset and Actions You'll Need To Put Together Your New and Improved 'Balanced' Life," Skip La Cour shares some of his personal experiences moving forward and what he's learned observing hundreds of other people trying to do the same.

This MORE THAN JUST MUSCLES podcast is specifically designed to help dedicated bodybuilding and fitness enthusiasts who find themselves asking “Is this all there is?” from time to time–no matter how great they PHYSICALLY look and feel or how many people respect and admire what they’ve been able to accomplish with their bodies.

This MORE THAN JUST MUSCLES podcast is jam-packed with simple and effective strategies that will help you BREAK OUT of your current way of thinking and taking action so you can FINALLY create a better overall quality of life. It will get you on the path toward more happiness and a new, empowering identity that’s significantly more meaningful than just having a great body.

To listen to this podcast, click here.

This podcast is also available on iTunes, Stitcher, and BlogTalkRadio.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    MM25 100% Whey Protein Isolate 2.2 pounds

Pure 100% Whey Protein Isolate, High Bio-Availability,
    Helps Rebuild and Refuel Muscle, and more. Awesome taste.
    Mixes really easily.
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 08-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Specific Training Goals Set the Stage for Outstanding Workouts

By Skip La Cour

In my opinion, there aren’t many feelings you can experience as a bodybuilder that are better than walking out of the gym after an awesome workout. Striving for productive and efficient training sessions is usually our number one priority. After all, this is the very first step toward developing an outstanding physique.

How do you define a “great” workout? What are your criteria? What specifically needs to happen during your training session for you to consider it great? As you already know, the method of evaluating the quality of a particular workout can differ from person to person.

Aren’t your workouts much better now than they were when you first started training? Of course they are! Most bodybuilders I talk to feel this way about their training sessions.

I feel as though my workouts are better than they have ever been. In fact, the quality of my workouts has dramatically improved since just last year. That’s quite an accomplishment when you consider I’ve been training at a high level of performance for over a decade.

Every step of the way along my bodybuilding journey, however, I would have told you my training sessions were great. How could that be possible? Why did I feel that way? With my initial level of knowledge and experience, they all couldn’t have been great back then—no matter what I thought at the time.

Haven’t you always felt your workouts were great as well? Although you may not feel that way now about your past workouts, didn’t you think they were fantastic? Overestimating the quality of our training sessions is a common problem for many of us.

In my case, I didn’t really set specific training goals during my first few years of training; so, how could I realistically have come to the conclusion I was having great training sessions when I had no clear-cut definition of what that meant? I couldn’t have!

Most of us go to the gym and have a general plan for which body parts we are going to train. Hopefully, we also have a good idea of which exercises we will do. If we are very good at planning our workouts, we have a goal of how many repetitions we want to perform and how much weight we are going lift on that particular day. The extent of our planning usually stops there. Very rarely do we get really specific about what our goals are for that session.

The purpose of this blog post is to get you to set specific training goals and review them before every workout.

As I stated earlier, how to determine the quality of a particular workout can vary from person to person. What does a great workout mean to you? Do you need to lift a certain amount of weight? Do you need to perform a certain number of repetitions during every set before you feel a workout is great? Do the muscles you’ve trained need to feel a certain way? For some people, if they just show up at the gym, they feel their workouts were great!

However you choose to determine the quality of your workouts, you must first set clear standards in your own mind. How else would you really know that your efforts are right on track—or in dire need of improvement?

If you followed through and completed the exercise in the earlier blog post “How Do You Know You Are Working Hard?” it was probably an extremely enlightening experience. Although previously you may have thought you were working hard, more than likely you discovered there was much more you could do—and could have been doing in the past—to propel your bodybuilding efforts forward.

In this blog post, I urge you to invest the time to get specific about what’s most important to you during your training session, set new standards, and evaluate your past performance with the new set of standards you’ve created. Then, to make sure you are always aware of those standards, I encourage you to review them before every workout.

The Steps for Creating Your Training Goals

Step One: Brainstorm

First, generate a list of objectives or goals you wish to accomplish during your workouts and as a result of your efforts. Don’t spend too much time thinking about which ones you value the most. During this step of the procedure, just “brainstorm,” or create a list. After listing all the things that come to your mind first, you’ll have plenty of time to add more goals or narrow down your list later.

The objectives or goals you write down can be long-term goals (e.g. getting your bodyweight up to 190 pounds or becoming a national-level bodybuilder); medium-range goals (e.g. getting in great shape for bathing suit weather or winning next year’s bodybuilding show); or short-term goals (e.g. lifting your heaviest weight or remaining especially focused during every workout). I suggest that you choose a combination of all three types of training goals.

Step Two: Select Your Most Important Training Goals

Secondly, narrow your list. Select the training goals you feel are most important and write them down on a piece of paper. When you list your most important training goals, be specific. The more clear you are about exactly what you want to accomplish, the better your opportunity to achieve success.

You may want to start off with only five or six of your most important goals. You can add a few more—but only after you’ve consistently met your initial objectives during most of your training sessions.

As you determine your goals, be sure you are asking enough from yourself. The more you ask from yourself, the more productive you will become. Are you currently asking enough from yourself during your workouts—without any excuses or rationalization—to achieve your definition of “great”?

That said, you must avoid overwhelming yourself with a list that is too long. How will you know your list is too long? You’ll know you are overwhelmed when you have trouble reaching the majority of your training goals. Instead of feeling the tremendous power of this exercise, you’ll start feeling as though you are disempowered. You’ll begin to feel like a failure after every session by overwhelming yourself. Ironically, you may actually be doing very well—but are unable to realize and appreciate what you are able to accomplish. You may have just established too many ambitious goals too soon!

Step Three: Review Your Goals Before Every Workout

You must invest the time to review your training goals before each and every workout. The couple of minutes needed to read your list will prove invaluable over time.

I can’t stress upon you enough the power of your subconscious mind—when you choose to use it to its full potential. When you read your list of goals before every workout, you plant the seed of productivity that is activated when you are training—even when you are unaware it’s working. Trust me on this one!

Creating one specific training goal alone (and reviewing that goal before every workout) has catapulted my training performance to a higher level. This far into my career, that’s a big statement!

If you look at my own list of training goals on the following pages, you’ll notice Number 12 states;

“I will constantly redefine what ‘absolute failure’ means to me by pushing myself to give more effort than ever before during every set. I will remind myself to do this before every set.”

Because I have read this training goal, along with the rest of my goals, before every workout for quite some time now, I train this way without even consciously thinking about it. This type of effort, especially over the course of time, generates a tremendous amount of momentum—and rock-solid muscle as well. Consistently producing workouts in which every set is trained until absolute failure will undoubtedly build an outstanding physique.

I’m pleasantly surprised by how my workouts have constantly improved year after year. One of the most important reasons why this has occurred is that I’ve taken the time to set specific training goals over the last four or five years. I’ve made sure I’ve reviewed them before every session. After consistently meeting the standards I’ve set, I’ve always set even higher ones and reviewed them before every workout as well.

I’m always dumbfounded when a bodybuilder who has only been training a couple of years tells me he has plateaued and his training performance is just about as good as it can possibly get. Assuming that person has even taken the time to create specific training goals (which I seriously doubt), he can always set more ambitious ones.

Take the time to list your training goals. Commit to reviewing them before your next workout—and before every one thereafter. You will soon create such a high standard of mental preparedness, productivity, and intensity, that you will never go back to the level of performance you once thought was great. You’ll soon see why I believe your previous workouts won’t compare to the outstanding sessions you’ll begin to have.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Click here to order
    MM180 Physio-Machine SUPREME 180 Capsules

Support fat burning, help build muscle, support a
    healthy estrogen balance, and more.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 08-12-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

It’s Going To Be Tough To Add To The Quality Of Your Life The Same Group Of People – More Than Just Muscles Podcast #7

No matter how badly you want to improve your life, it’s going to be a lot tougher for you to do that when you hang around the same people. If you’ve invested a lot of time and energy in the bodybuilding and fitness lifestyle, there’s no doubt that there are a lot of reasons why you love it–despite any drawbacks that come along with it. We tend to spend the majority of our time with people who are just like us. During this podcast “, It’s Going To Be Tough To Add To The Quality Of Your Life The Same Group Of People,” Skip La Cour talks about this challenge and offers some solutions to work through it.

This MORE THAN JUST MUSCLES podcast is specifically designed to help dedicated bodybuilding and fitness enthusiasts who find themselves asking “Is this all there is?” from time to time–no matter how great they PHYSICALLY look and feel or how many people respect and admire what they’ve been able to accomplish with their bodies.

This MORE THAN JUST MUSCLES podcast is jam-packed with simple and effective strategies that will help you BREAK OUT of your current way of thinking and taking action so you can FINALLY create a better overall quality of life. It will get you on the path toward more happiness and a new, empowering identity that’s significantly more meaningful than just having a great body.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order
    MM25 100% Whey Protein Isolate 2.2 pounds

Pure 100% Whey Protein Isolate, High Bio-Availability,
    Helps Rebuild and Refuel Muscle, and more. Awesome taste.
    Mixes really easily.

Morgul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

MM90 and supplement help

Hi Skip, I am now 40 years old, but I have never had much muscle tone even as a child and teenager and never really did much in the way of physical activity either until I joined the UFC Gym last year and have lost over 50 pounds taking their boxing class, but now I am trying to build some mass and am having trouble doing so, but I am not sure why, and I am doing weight training now because I want something to show for my efforts, I want to be able to look in the mirror and see a well built man then I saw your add for MM90 ZMA I am curious if that alone will work or should I consider a separate testosterone booster to stack with this and how long does it usually take for these supplements to take effect?
    Last edited by Morgul; 08-15-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Originally Posted by Morgul View Post
    Hi Skip, I am now 40 years old, but I have never had much muscle tone even as a child and teenager and never really did much in the way of physical activity either until I joined the UFC Gym last year and have lost over 50 pounds taking their boxing class, but now I am trying to build some mass and am having trouble doing so, but I am not sure why, and I am doing weight training now because I want something to show for my efforts, I want to be able to look in the mirror and see a well built man then I saw your add for MM90 ZMA I am curious if that alone will work or should I consider a separate testosterone booster to stack with this and how long does it usually take for these supplements to take effect?
    Hi Morgul.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your progress! You've done very well losing those over 50 pounds in less than a year. You should be very proud of yourself.

There are a lot more important mental and physical factors to consider before you start narrowing things down to supplements.

Let's talk about your expectations first.

If someone goes from pretty much inactive to consistent exercise like you have, the weight is going to come off what seems to be quickly.

Now, that doesn't mean just because you been doing a boxing class and just starting to focus on building muscle mass that it is going to happen at nearly the same, fast rate. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect to have that lean, muscular looking physique too soon. This may be especially true if you never had the genetics to be on the more lean and muscular side.

You'll have to go through the process of learning more about weight training and eating --and giving yourself enough time--if you are going to earn the physique you are describing.

Unless you've left all of that out, that's where you should be looking for answers--not in supplements. At least, not right now.

I understand that most of the supplement companies out there try to convince (or imply) you that the solution to your challenge is in the bottle/product they are trying to sell you--but that's not how I operate.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Followup

Hi skip thanks for getting back to me, I have taken a lot of time to get myself familiar with weight training and I have been doing it since February of this year, at first I had some of the coaches show me how to use the machines and then give me a routine but I was doing it for a long time with little to no advancement in weight and frequency so I found a program on bodybuilding.com and it seems to be going well but I am still having trouble in some areas for instance: my chest, shoulders, biceps, Abs, and triceps seem to be the hardest to get any results from, but I didn't have much to begin with. Therefore how long does it usually take before a 5' 11" 40 year old male who takes a boxing class and does weight training three times a week can expect to see results? and do you think that the lack of results thus far can be a sign of low testosterone and if not what do you think it could be because I don't want to become a bodybuilder I just want some definition that I can be proud of, so how do you suggest going about that or is there anything different I could be doing? Any input will be appreciated.

And I don't see genetics as a roadblock to gaining an acceptable physique it is just a hurdle to overcome not a barrier
    Last edited by Morgul; 08-17-2015 at 12:57 AM.

Hi skip thanks for getting back to me, I have taken a lot of time to get myself familiar with weight training and I have been doing it since February of this year, at first I had some of the coaches show me how to use the machines and then give me a routine but I was doing it for a long time with little to no advancement in weight and frequency so I found a program on bodybuilding.com and it seems to be going well but I am still having trouble in some areas for instance: my chest, shoulders, biceps, Abs, and triceps seem to be the hardest to get any results from, but I didn't have much to begin with. Therefore how long does it usually take before a 5' 11" 40 year old male who takes a boxing class and does weight training three times a week can expect to see results? and do you think that the lack of results thus far can be a sign of low testosterone and if not what do you think it could be because I don't want to become a bodybuilder I just want some definition that I can be proud of, so how do you suggest going about that or is there anything different I could be doing? Any input will be appreciated.

And I don't see genetics as a roadblock to gaining an acceptable physique it is just a hurdle to overcome not a barrier
    Hi Morgul.

I would have to see your progress pictures to really give you any kind of responsible answer.

From my experience helping people just like you for years, I would guess that you don't have any physical deficiencies that are challenging you most--it's just your expectations.

You expect that you should be seeing more gains from the time and effort that you've been putting in. I'm not convinced that, with the amount of time you've been focusing on this, that you are not getting exactly what you should be getting.

That's okay. That's what we all want. But, if your expectations exceed what is humanly possible, you're going to have real motivation and frustration challenges.

Another guess I would make based on experience is that, even though you've lost a lot of weight, your body fat percentage is still too high to see the muscular gains you feel you should have earned by now. They may be there--just covered up by still too much body fat.

You'd be amazed by how just dropping a couple more percentage points of body fat can make you look HUGE.

Keep on keepin' on!

6 Next Level Training Tips That Only Advanced Bodybuilders Can Fully Appreciate Their Impact

By Skip La Cour

I want to share some things about specific exercises that we all do and how to fine-tune those exercises to get the most dramatic results in the least amount of time.

1. Focus on Your Foundation (or Set Up)

What we’re talking about here is any standing and even seated exercise, which covers a lot of the exercises you can do in any given workout.

First of all, you need to make sure that your feet are properly positioned. This means that your feet need to be one with the floor; firmly and evenly planted. Think of your feet being cemented to the floor. If you look around the gym (or maybe even down at your own feet), you’ll see guys who are up on their toes, back on their heels, or balanced more on the outside or inside of their feet with their weight unevenly placed. Your weight needs to be evenly placed on both feet. They also need to be a little wider than shoulder width apart in most cases. Experiment with this foot positioning now that you are conscious of how important it is. Your feet being just an inch to narrow or an inch too wide can make a huge difference in how well you perform the set.

Next are your knees. Your knees should never be locked and rigid. They should be bent enough for buoyancy and flexibility, but firm. Imagine it this way: if someone were to give you a light push, you should be able to maintain your position without having to fight to keep your balance.

Your hips should be in a neutral position, not tilted either forward (anterior pelvic tilt) or backward (posterior pelvic tilt). This is a key point for many people because of their everyday less-than-ideal posture so a lot of guys need to focus on proper hip positioning, but it’s essential for stability.

Lets’ continue to move upwards. A lot of your strength comes from your lower back, so you want to make sure that your back is arched and that you lock it down nice and tight.

Your chest should be up high and your shoulders back. Your head should be facing forward. I know some guys feel more comfortable looking off to the side, but this can be unnecessarily distracting and put your body out of alignment. You also want to have a straight line going from the bottom of your spine to the top of your head, so facing forward is really preferred.

Your chin should be up and your eyes facing forward.

You need to do a “mental check off” making sure each of these nine points are positioned correctly before you even begin a set. Make sure you do this for every exercise during every workout—even your warm up sets. Now, I know this will seem tedious at first as you’ll want to just jump in and start pounding out the exercise. You must practice this discipline each and every time until it becomes a habit. Within two or three weeks of consistently setting up this way, the process will transfer into your subconscious mind and you will start executing this positioning without any thought. But you must put in your work first.

These things may seem basic, but so many guys develop bad habits in one part of the body or the other when it comes to this foundation. You cannot hone and perfectly execute more advanced techniques unless your foundation is rock solid.

2. Biceps Curls

Biceps curls are deceptively simple. Done correctly, they’re a powerfully effective move. Done incorrectly, they can be a waste of time. Look at two different bodybuilders, one a beginner and the other someone who’s been working out reasonably effectively for year and they may look like they’re doing the same move. However, the more experienced guy may be so much better at form and execution they might as well be doing two completely different exercises. It really can be that different. The results will oftentimes be dramatically different as well.

First, keep your elbows tucked in at all times. Don’t let them flare out from your body at an angle. Your arm should be as parallel to your body as you can make it during the entire move. Your arm should almost be dragging against your body, whether you’re doing a hammer curl, dumbbell curl, or a barbell curl.

You also want to make sure you have a wide arc throughout the movement. Keep it really wide—and don’t cut the angle. You will feel much more stimulation of the biceps if you focus on having a wide arc. Make sure you concentrate on keeping that wide arc all the way up (concentric phase)—and all the down (eccentric phase).

Here’s another next level tip that many people don’t utilize when doing biceps curls with dumbbells: Keep you palm fully open as long as you can on the way down and open it back up fully as soon as possible on the way up.

3. Back Exercises

There are a number of things you can do to make sure your form and execution dictate the best results when doing back exercises.

First, I strongly advocate wrist straps for back exercises. When you are moving a challenging weight for rowing or pulling movements and you are forced to use a tight grip, you will feel the exercise more in your biceps, forearms, and even shoulders more than in your back.

Wrist straps help make your hands one with the bar and helps you to get a proper grip. You won’t have to pull it so tightly and can loosen up the tension in your forearms and biceps and put the tension where it belongs – on your back.

Now, I understand that some guys will say they want to do it hardcore, they want to improve their grip strength and so on. If you’re getting the right stimulation to your back and great results, that’s fine. But if you’re not feeling and seeing that you’re getting your money’s worth from your back moves, try the wrist straps. You can always work on your forearm directly with exercises that specifically designed for them in another workout.

Another tip with back exercises is to keep your elbows tucked close in to your torso. When you’re pulling and rowing they should be brushing up against your torso. Never let your arms flare outward.

Also, be sure when you’re doing rows, you pull the weight down low enough. I often see guys pulling it down to their sternum or their chest, but to engage the back you should be aiming for the belt buckle level. Be careful, too, not to let it start creeping higher and higher as you get fatigued.

4. Flat Barbell Bench Press

The key to next level training with the flat barbell bench press is finding the right angle for your arms. The right angle to really engage your chest and feeling that ideal engagement is going to be different for everyone. This is something you will need to focus on and figure out yourself. But you can’t do that if you aren’t aware of just how important this is.

When you place your hands on the bar preparing for the bench press pay attention to your elbows. Are they tucked right against your body or are they flaring out at a wide angle? The answer is probably somewhere between the two. Really focus on your chest and adjust the angle of your arms until you can feel it in your chest. There is no set answer on angle; it will be different for everyone. However, you do have to find that right angle in order to get real results in the chest.

Another next level tip for the flat barbell bench press is that you shouldn’t be moving the bar straight up and down. Now, I know it looks like that what the most experienced, accomplished, and knowledge guys in the gym are doing but take a closer look. The movement should have a slight “banana shaped” arc to it so the bar is closer to your chin at the top of the movement than it is when you start. You feel the much more stimulation in your chest this way. This should be a very slight arc, maybe an inch or so is all from the bottom to the top of the movement. Practice that and you’ll know you have the arc right when you start feeling it in your chest.

5. Dumbbell Press for Chest

When you’re doing a dumbbell press for chest, the angle of the bench is extremely important. It should be the slightest angle possible, probably the lowest setting on the bench. I would say the angle should be no more than about 15 degrees. Any more than that and you will feel it in your chest, but your shoulders will be heavily involved too and that diminishes the results you could be getting for your chest.

When you’re doing this movement, it should not be straight up and down when viewed from the front or back. You should be moving at a very slight angle so your hands are meeting at the top of the movement. Your hands clasping the dumbbells should be wider at the bottom that they are t the top. I call it an “A-frame” motion.

One thing this will do for you is as the weight gets heavier and the dumbbells start to flare outward, concentrating on the “A-frame” slight angle will correct that and help keep your form in line so you don’t end up doing too much (or even dangerous) shoulder work during this chest exercise.

Just as with the Flat Barbell Bench Press, the angle you are driving the dumbbells up and controlling them on the way down (when viewed from the side) should not be straight up and down. It should moved at a slight “banana shaped” arc. In fact, when you try to move it straight up and down, you’ll often be moving the dumbbells forward. Implemented that banana shaped arc with help you feel more stimulation in your chest where you should when performing this exercise.

6. Dumbbell Press for Shoulders

When you’re doing the dumbbell press for shoulders, you need to consciously keep your arms and the dumbbells way back (when viewed from the side) and fight to keep them from moving forward. You can’t just focus on moving the weight from Point A to Point B. Because of the weight, your arms and the dumbbells will naturally push forward on the way up. If you focus on counteracting that by lifting up and back you will really start to feel that challenge to your shoulders. This is also where that nice, tight, raided, then locked down lower back I mentioned earlier comes into play.

You also want to keep the dumbbells as close as possible to your center of gravity. Don’t let them start angling outward as they get heavy (when viewed from the front or back). If your goal is to push them up straight up, you’re probably actually angling outward without realizing it. Combat this by using a tight A-frame angle (wider at the bottom and more narrow at the top).

Also, whether you’re doing dumbbell presses or military presses, here’s a grip technique that can make a huge difference for you. As you grab that bar and push up, all of the grip pressure should be focused between the center of your palm and inward toward your thumb. You should almost be able to lift your pinkie and index finger off of the bar. Traditional thinking has you putting the grip pressure evenly throughout your hand. Try this and you will feel it more in your shoulders.

These are some next level tips I wanted to share with you on specific exercises. Training with the right mindset, form, and proper weight will get you to the next level. Make these steps a daily practice and you will see what I’m talking about.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

SUPREME. CLEAN. MASS MACHINE NUTRITION.
    Click here to order

Update

Thanks Skip, I have a BMI of 16 so body fat may not be the real issue but I don't know that for sure because the only place I still see any issues with body fat is in my abs. But, I know I began Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size program and have already seen some minor gains and I know that its a slow process but what I am asking is how long does it usually take before you see something visual without flexing and I don't expect miracles I just want results. and lastly is there any other program you would recommend or do you think the one I am using will do the trick? I uploaded a picture of myself but I don't normally take selfies but I did it for this purpose, and as you can see I am a thin person. and for person with my physique I would guess that it may take years of hard work. But can you suggest any tweaks to my current schedule should I be working out more than three times a week or is that enough? any advice will be appreciated
    Thank You,
    Peter
    if possible Please keep the photo I uploaded away from other members.
    Last edited by Morgul; 08-17-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Skip, I have a BMI of 16 so body fat may not be the real issue but I don't know that for sure because the only place I still see any issues with body fat is in my abs. But, I know I began Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size program and have already seen some minor gains and I know that its a slow process but what I am asking is how long does it usually take before you see something visual without flexing and I don't expect miracles I just want results. and lastly is there any other program you would recommend or do you think the one I am using will do the trick? I uploaded a picture of myself but I don't normally take selfies but I did it for this purpose, and as you can see I am a thin person. and for person with my physique I would guess that it may take years of hard work. But can you suggest any tweaks to my current schedule should I be working out more than three times a week or is that enough? any advice will be appreciated
    Thank You,
    Peter
    if possible Please keep the photo I uploaded away from other members.
    Hey Peter.

You are thin--but you also have a rather high percentage of body fat. I know, it's not a lot of fat for "regular" people but, for the way you want to look, it is.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong necessarily. I just think you haven't been doing this long.

If you were to keep weight training, the muscle will start building on your frame. There's no way it can't.

If you were to lose at least 10 pounds in body fat, you'll look a lot more muscular because the muscle you do have won't be covered up by so much body fat--but you will BE smaller.

No one can tell you how long it is going take. If they give you an answer, they are just pulling it out of the air. There are too many unknown factors to consider for someone to know what they are talking about.

Welcome to bodybuilding! LOL

(You may want to edit your post and delete your picture. I think everyone can see if I could.)

Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Hey Peter.

You are thin--but you also have a rather high percentage of body fat. I know, it's not a lot of fat for "regular" people but, for the way you want to look, it is.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong necessarily. I just think you haven't been doing this long.

If you were to keep weight training, the muscle will start building on your frame. There's no way it can't.

If you were to lose at least 10 pounds in body fat, you'll look a lot more muscular because the muscle you do have won't be covered up by so much body fat--but you will BE smaller.

No one can tell you how long it is going take. If they give you an answer, they are just pulling it out of the air. There are too many unknown factors to consider for someone to know what they are talking about.

Welcome to bodybuilding! LOL

(You may want to edit your post and delete your picture. I think everyone can see if I could.)
    Thanks Skip,
    I don't mean to bother you, but I need information from somebody with experience, who knows what he is talking about. Thus, How do you suggest I loose the weight because I don't think dieting is preferable because from what I have read you need to eat quite a lot of high protein foods when weight training for the energy and nutrition required to do the work, do you suggest to just keep up with my weight training and the weight or body fat will come off as I progress because I still take the boxing classes and afterwards I do my weight training in the same day? And, I haven't been doing this for very long I just began weight training in February but the first program I had did nothing for me because it was the same thing every three days, which was very ineffectual and less than a month ago I found Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to size program and this seems to be working much better because I have already seen some small gains, which are small but I appreciate anything I get, and I am about to begin phase two of the program, but I am still just a beginner. However I saw that Arnold Schwarzenegger also has a program, which I plan to begin when I finish this one. However can you recommend a program that might be better for someone like me, or is the one I am using and planning to use adequate, and how do you propose I get my body fat down because I know that you cannot spot loose fat it is a gradual process that encompasses the entire body and I just began the boxing classes last September, and I weighed 248 pounds before I began and now I weigh 163.5, therefore what are your suggestions?

PS. How long did it take for you to achieve your current physique?
    Thank you,
    Peter

Thanks Skip,
    I don't mean to bother you, but I need information from somebody with experience, who knows what he is talking about. Thus, How do you suggest I loose the weight because I don't think dieting is preferable because from what I have read you need to eat quite a lot of high protein foods when weight training for the energy and nutrition required to do the work, do you suggest to just keep up with my weight training and the weight or body fat will come off as I progress because I still take the boxing classes and afterwards I do my weight training in the same day? And, I haven't been doing this for very long I just began weight training in February but the first program I had did nothing for me because it was the same thing every three days, which was very ineffectual and less than a month ago I found Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to size program and this seems to be working much better because I have already seen some small gains, which are small but I appreciate anything I get, and I am about to begin phase two of the program, but I am still just a beginner. However I saw that Arnold Schwarzenegger also has a program, which I plan to begin when I finish this one. However can you recommend a program that might be better for someone like me, or is the one I am using and planning to use adequate, and how do you propose I get my body fat down because I know that you cannot spot loose fat it is a gradual process that encompasses the entire body and I just began the boxing classes last September, and I weighed 248 pounds before I began and now I weigh 163.5, therefore what are your suggestions?

PS. How long did it take for you to achieve your current physique?
    Thank you,
    Peter
    Stick to the program that you are doing. It's not the program. It's your body, your diet, and level of commitment to both of those over time that's going to make the difference.

No one can just "peak into" a few things that you tell me are going and come out with the black and white answers you want. Regardless of what some people may promise. But I get it. That's what everyone wants when they start to get the most out of what they are doing--and not waste any time doing anything that doesn't work.

Have you ever considered an online coach to work out the details for your specific conditions? I, personally, don't do that but it might be better investment of your time and energy than searching for generic information and trying to understand how that specifically applies to you.

If not, you'll need to go through the learning curve like you are doing right now.

You've admitted that you are getting some results. Give it another month or so doing what you are doing. Maybe you'll see even more.

Don't assume you are doing something wrong or there is a better "magic" strategy that you aren't doing.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Stick to the program that you are doing. It's not the program. It's your body, your diet, and level of commitment to both of those over time that's going to make the difference.

No one can just "peak into" a few things that you tell me are going and come out with the black and white answers you want. Regardless of what some people may promise. But I get it. That's what everyone wants when they start to get the most out of what they are doing--and not waste any time doing anything that doesn't work.

Have you ever considered an online coach to work out the details for your specific conditions? I, personally, don't do that but it might be better investment of your time and energy than searching for generic information and trying to understand how that specifically applies to you.

If not, you'll need to go through the learning curve like you are doing right now.

You've admitted that you are getting some results. Give it another month or so doing what you are doing. Maybe you'll see even more.

Don't assume you are doing something wrong or there is a better "magic" strategy that you aren't doing.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Thanks Skip that makes sense I think I will just stick to my program and progress will follow with hard work and time because nothing happens in one day it takes time and hard work because as you said continue to work hard and mass will build on my frame with time and effort there's no way it wont. Am I correct in assuming that?

Thanks Skip that makes sense I think I will just stick to my program and progress will follow with hard work and time because nothing happens in one day it takes time and hard work because as you said continue to work hard and mass will build on my frame with time and effort there's no way it wont. Am I correct in assuming that?
    LOL Morgul...

I'm suggesting that you be patient and be mentally and emotionally FLEXIBLE in your approach and you'll do just fine.

There's no absolute certainty in ANY goal we strive for in life--and that's what makes the journey so exciting!

You can ask me a hundred different ways, but me--or anyone else--will NOT be able to give you the absolute certainty we ALL crave.

As you continue with this journey, have faith that you'll make any needed adjustments that need to be made when it is time to make them--just like in life.

Keep on keepin' on. You got this!

Diffeent question

Hi Skip, when doing incline dumbbell and barbell presses how does the different incline angles affect the target muscle groups?
    Thanks,
    Peter

LOL Morgul...

I'm suggesting that you be patient and be mentally and emotionally FLEXIBLE in your approach and you'll do just fine.

There's no absolute certainty in ANY goal we strive for in life--and that's what makes the journey so exciting!

You can ask me a hundred different ways, but me--or anyone else--will NOT be able to give you the absolute certainty we ALL crave.

As you continue with this journey, have faith that you'll make any needed adjustments that need to be made when it is time to make them--just like in life.

Keep on keepin' on. You got this!
    Thanks Skip, I completely understand and agree with you, and I do consider myself flexible, but I imagine everyone has doubts from time to time, but I try my hardest to believe in what I am doing, and see the positive side of things by constantly reminding myself that it is a slow process, and when you see bodybuilders you are seeing the finished product because nobody begins with that physique it takes Dedication, time, effort, and patience to achieve gains because it does not happen overnight, and its good to change things up once in a while - even though I am not looking to become a bodybuilder, and I think I'm what is called an ectomorph it helps to remember that I am just a beginner and it takes all of the aforementioned elements to be successful - you give it your all and keep yourself positive. That is the way I see it, and that is all I was saying before.
    Last edited by Morgul; 08-20-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Get Clear. Get Focused. Get RESULTS. – More Than Just Muscles Podcast #8

Many people who have dedicated a tremendous amount of time, energy, and focus into their bodybuilding and training efforts realize that they eventually need to change a few things to earn the overall quality of life that they really want. But how? What are the next steps that they’ll need to take in order to get onto this phase of their journey? During this podcast, Skip La Cour talks about the challenges he faced during the uncertain time period between when he stopped competing and when he started to really make progress. Be sure that you listen to this entire podcast. You’ll have the opportunity to have Skip help you get on the right track sooner rather than later.

To win a chance to get into Skip La Cour’s inner circle, earn a “Get Clear. Get Focused. Get RESULTS” one-on-one coaching session, and a limited one-day pass into his Weekly Coaching Program’s Members Only website filled with daily entries, click here or go to www.SkipLaCourCoaching.com/more.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Live Questions and Answers - Bodybuilding, Training, Mental Toughness--and Much More!

Like my ******** Page and get in on the sessions I have in the future LIVE.

http://www.********.com/skiplacourpage

Click here to order

"5 Steps To Get You To Your Personal Next Level (Whatever That Next Level Is For YOU)" - PART ONE

"5 Steps To Get To Your Personal Next Level (Whatever That Next Level Is For YOU)" - PART ONE

* Create a sense of clarity about the lifestyle and accomplishments that you really want to have

* Find out the essential building blocks for having the lifestyle of your dreams

* Discover the #1 thing stopping you from having the life you want

* Identify the most powerful actions that will move towards the accomplishments you desire

This was done live on my ******** Page:

www.********.com/SkipLaCourPage

Here is the special offer that I presented to all of you at the end of the session: http://www.skiplacourcoaching.com/more

Take your time and be thorough. That will give you the best chance to spend private, one-on-one time with me on the phone.

"5 Steps To Get You To Your Personal Next Level (Whatever That Next Level Is For YOU)" - PART TWO

Click here to order

Here's some information about the More Than Just Muscles Podcast #9 with Jeff Willet

A More Than Just Muscles Conversation With Pro Bodybuilder JEFF WILLET – More Than Just Muscles Podcast #9

IFBB Professional Bodybuilder Jeff Willet joins Skip La Cour during this week's More Than Just Muscles podcast for an up-close-and-personal interview. Jeff openly shares his journey adjusting to "normal" life after completely dedicating his time, energy, and focus to bodybuilding from the age of 16 to 32. The Powerhouse Gym owner from Adrian, Michigan talks about his most memorable moments as a bodybuilder and what the pursuit of his dreams taught him about life. Willet also reveals the challenges that came along with his drive and dedication to build such an amazing physique.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Click here to order

What Is The Best Way To Warm Up For A Workout? How Many Sets? How Many Reps? How Much Weight?

In this video, I explain the most effective and efficient approach to warm up sets. Follow this advice and you'll save the majority of your time and energy for the heavy, progressively overloading, muscle-stimulating working sets. It's the heavy, taxing working sets that initiate the muscle building process--not the warm up sets.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order

Here's some information about the More Than Just Muscles Podcast #10

Morning Connection - Saturday, September 5, 2015 - Live Session Done on ********

Join me on ******** for these regular live video chat session: www.********.com/SkipLaCourPage

Why It May Be Tough For You To Change And A Strategy To SHOCK You Into Doing So Anyway – More Than Just Muscles Podcast #10

Do you already know that you need to make some changes to balance things out and create the life you really want--but just can't seem to get the process into gear? This can be especially confusing for you because you've already demonstrated hard work, tenacity, and flexibility when it came to mastering your bodybuilding and training efforts, right? During this More Than Just Muscles podcast titled "Why It May Be Tough For You To Change And A Strategy To SHOCK You Into Doing So Anyway," Skip La Cour breaks down why it may be that way for you and an emotional exercise that could shock you into finally making those changes you want to make.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Click here to order

How Bodybuilders and Fitness People Can Create More Value For The People They Help And Earn More

In this video, I'm doing the New York Muscle Radio Podcast. This was a live video feed done on ******** Mentions.

I am a coach, speaker, and business owner. I help ambitious men understand and execute effective leadership and influence skills so that they reach their goals in life with more clarity and confidence.

Here is more information about Skip La Cour's FREE More Than Just Muscles Online Training Course that he mentions in the video:

This extensive More Than Just Muscles online training course will not only help you MAXIMIZE the tremendous opportunities that you'll create from your passion for bodybuilding and fitness NOW, it will help set you up to continue benefiting from your efforts a long into the future.

Go to www.MoreThanJustMuscles.com to sign up for the course.

Click here to order

A More Than Just Muscles Conversation With Anthony Bevilacqua – More Than Just Muscles Podcast #11

A More Than Just Muscles conversation with Anthony Bevilacqua where he talks about his fitness journey.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Click here to order

Understanding What A Good "Winning Percentage" Really Is A You Strive For Success

Join me on ******** www.********.com/SkipLaCourPage

"The 10 Most Powerful Traits That Bodybuilders Have Already Earned But Don't Use To Succeed In The Rest Of Their Lives"
    Monday, September 14th - 7 pm (Eastern) / 4 pm (Pacific)
    Go to www.MoreThanJustMuscles.com/10 to sign up for Monday's teleseminar.

Click here to order

HAVE YOU BUILT A GREAT BODY BUT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IS JUST AVERAGE?

"The 10 Most Powerful Traits That Bodybuilders Have Already Earned But Don't Use To Succeed In The Rest Of Their Lives"

TONIGHT! Monday, September 14th - 7 pm (Eastern) / 4 pm (Pacific)

Go to www.MoreThanJustMuscles.com/10 to sign up for TONIGHT'S Free Teleseminar.

Here's What You'll Get From This Teleseminar:

• Gain more appreciation for the success habits and mental toughness that the bodybuilding and training lifestyle has instilled and strengthened inside of you.

• Learn the EXACT qualities and characteristics that you need to take from your bodybuilding and training experience to succeed in any area of your life.

• Identify the EXACT bodybuilding and training qualities and characteristics that will prevent you from earning the success and happiness in life that you want at the level you really want it so you can immediately STOP carrying them over.

• Important points to remember to make sure that your bodybuilding and training lifestyle ADDS to the overall quality of your life in the future--and doesn't leave you with a gaping hole that you'll be forced to fill in later on when you're older.

• Sure-fire indicators that will help you determine when you are on the right track--and when the bodybuilding and training lifestyle is getting in the way of the life you really want.

• Discover many of the key deep, emotional reasons why you might be having a challenge using the skills that make you great in your bodybuilding and training efforts to make you great in your regular life too.

Go to www.MoreThanJustMuscles.com/10 to sign up for Monday's teleseminar.

FREE BONUS! You’ll also be registered to receive Skip La Cour’s FREE More Than Just Muscles NEVER-ENDING GROWTH online training course.

This extensive email series will not only help you MAXIMIZE the tremendous opportunities that you’ll create from your passion for bodybuilding and fitness NOW, it will help set you up to continue benefiting from your efforts a long into the future. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Go to www.MoreThanJustMuscles.com/10 to sign up for tonight's teleseminar.

Confessions of a Recovering Bodybuilder Video #1 - The Journey Begins

"It's A Matter Of Trust: Confessions of a Recovering Bodybuilder" is my personal that I'll be telling through a series of videos here.

In this very first video of the series, I explain why it's so important to me to get my message out.

I also talked about the moment when I made the DECISION to get through my personal pain so that I could become someone people would want to listen to--and then help other people work past their own pain.

I'm also doing these video LIVE every morning at 10 am (Eastern) / 7 am (Pacific) on my ******** page at www.********.com/SkipLaCourPage and simultaneously on my Periscope @skiplacour.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour

Closed Thread
Page 360 of 364 FirstFirst ... 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 ... LastLast