Closed Thread
Page 3 of 364 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Nothing productive to say FitzChivalry's Avatar
    FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Define what "bulking phase" means to you.
    Lol, I knew you were going to ask that. That's why I put it in quotes because I hate the term "bulk" in the way most people use it today.
    To me personally, it is slightly above maintenance. Gaining lean mass, etc. with minimal fat gain. But many people don't define it this way and go well over their normal baseline caloric intake. Even for me the protein is well over 2 grams/lb. if I did it as a 50% ratio.
    Last edited by FitzChivalry; 05-08-2008 at 04:19 PM.

I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
    Lol, I knew it. That's why I put it in quotes because I hate the term "bulk" in the way most people use it today.
    To me personally, it is slightly above maintenance. Gaining lean mass, etc. with minimal fat gain. But many people don't define it this way and go well over their normal baseline caloric intake. Even for me the protein is well over 2 grams/lb. if I did it as a 50% ratio.
    Good man.

As far as protein consumption goes, what is recommended for the "average person" and a "hard training athlete" would certainly NOT be the same.

Whenever you read about protein requirements, be sure you know who the recommendations are targeted at.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50) morrsiway will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good man.

As far as protein consumption goes, what is recommended for the "average person" and a "hard training athlete" would certainly NOT be the same.

Whenever you read about protein requirements, be sure you know who the recommendations are targeted at.
    I totally agree Skip to your one body part per week and per session!!
    I used to do my back,biceps and forearms.. - chest/shoulders and tris.. - and then legs...

I did this split so I could train all my body parts 2 a week...

What a mess... as soon as I tore that down to one body part per session and full focus on that one muscle...I was on a mission..the Intensity is incredible compared to the exausting marathons I was putting myself through!

My routine is as follows:

Mo : Back and traps
    tue : Chest
    wed: legs
    thu : arms
    fr : shoulders

Whenever I eat its also a mission..my body is screaming for food and I eat small portions every 2 h to keep my metaba goin.
    Last edited by morrsiway; 05-09-2008 at 02:07 AM.

antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) antish has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    skip, i just read your thinking big ebook.Why do you prefer underhad grip(for barbell rows and cable rows)?Do you think they hit the lats better?

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by antish View Post
    skip, i just read your thinking big ebook.Why do you prefer underhad grip(for barbell rows and cable rows)?Do you think they hit the lats better?
    After years of doing it both ways, I no longer feel an underhanded grip is better.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

DENTON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DENTON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DENTON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DENTON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip,
    Do you still train in the Max-Ot style, and follow the typical AST nutrition. High glycemic carbs within 3 hours of post- training

Originally Posted by DENTON View Post
    Skip,
    Do you still train in the Max-Ot style, and follow the typical AST nutrition. High glycemic carbs within 3 hours of post- training
    Yes, I do!

Skip La Cour?s web site: http://www.skiplacour.com

Sign up for my FREE Weekly E-Mail Newsletter: http://www.skiplacour.com/newsletter

Listen to Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding and Training Talk Radio Show every week at http://www.SkipLaCourRadio.com

Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Skip,

Great to have you here. I have all of your written materials and most of your dvds as well and it is truly motivating to be able to Q&A with you here.

I have a question on what you describe as "loose" form. In the Max-OT training dvd when you are doing lat pulldowns you take your body to about a 45 degree angle when pulling the weight down. Is that what you would consider "loose" for most or something that works best for you?

Thanks, and again great to have you here. Gonna have to come to bb.com more often now that you are here.

In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Skip, do you ever go over 9 heavy sets for a body-part? Or do you stick to Max-OT as described? Only 6-9 total heavy sets per body-part? I'm assuming you do 9 for the bigger body-parts and only 6 sets for smaller body-part like Arms, correct?

What is your average repetition cadence? 1/3, 4/4, 2/2, etc?

Do you superset your Arm exercises or do you do Biceps first then finish off with Triceps?

Thanks Skip.
    Last edited by In Flames; 05-09-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Form

Originally Posted by Lowdown5 View Post
    Skip,

Great to have you here. I have all of your written materials and most of your dvds as well and it is truly motivating to be able to Q&A with you here.

I have a question on what you describe as "loose" form. In the Max-OT training dvd when you are doing lat pulldowns you take your body to about a 45 degree angle when pulling the weight down. Is that what you would consider "loose" for most or something that works best for you?

Thanks, and again great to have you here. Gonna have to come to bb.com more often now that you are here.
    You should strive for a "good value" and proper execution when you perform each repetition. What exactly do I mean by a good value and proper execution? Basically, good value and proper execution are the optimal balance between out-of-control, sloppy form and overly strict form.

Obviously, you never want to use extremely sloppy form when training. However, you shouldn't be overly concerned with extremely strict form either. You should aim for somewhere in between the two extremes.

Many bodybuilders have deemed the quality of form to be the most important aspect of training. Some people training in the gym use the rationale that lifting heavy weight causes you to train less effectively. "I always use really strict form!" they state proudly. "Lifting heavy weight is not beneficial at all if you don't use really strict form."

I?m certainly not saying you should train with careless, out-of-control form. Even worse, I'm not suggesting that you risk hurting yourself in order to lift heavy weight. Using form that is too sloppy won't work the intended muscle sufficiently. If you get hurt while trying to lift too much weight you?ll set yourself back both in time and momentum. Doing that is unquestionably worse than lifting lighter weights.

There is a happy medium, however. That happy medium is performing each set at what I describe as a good value and proper execution. Lifting heavy enough weight to build significant muscle mass--while still using form that's good enough to directly stimulate the intended muscle group.

Overloading the intended muscle group with heavy weight is one of the most important keys to effectively stimulating maximum muscle growth. Despite what many people believe, you don?t necessarily need to use strict form in order to stimulate the muscle. But, if you want to build the most muscle in the shortest period of time, you do need to use the heaviest amount of weight that you can lift at the same time that you are stimulating the muscle group.

Some people refer to this training strategy as "controlled cheating." Controlled cheating is just a way to help you lift more weight. The more weight you can properly handle the better chance you have to put on muscle in a shorter period of time. I want to emphasize how important it is for you to handle the heavy weight properly. If you are using so much of your body's momentum to move the weight through the repetition and you are not directly stimulating the targeted muscle, then you are not using this training strategy correctly.

Simply put, controlled cheating is like giving yourself a spot. It will help you get the heavy weight through the "sticking point" and still allow you to blast the muscle group you are training at the same time.

Have you ever noticed when you are doing a set of barbell bench presses that there is a certain part of the movement that's especially difficult to press the weight through? There?s about a two-inch "sticking point" as you press the weight upward that presents the most difficult challenge. A good, attentive training partner can give you a slight spot, or just enough help, to get the bar all the way up--using most of your own power.

Ideally, lifting the weight without the aid of a spotter would be better, but you are still effectively stimulating the pectoral muscles even with that slight nudge. The extra poundage you are able to lift creates a tremendous value--and becomes far more beneficial to your muscle-building efforts than using overly strict form and the lighter weight that you?ll need to settle for in order to conform to that strict movement.

Just as you would never want your training partner to lighten the weight too much when he spots you while bench pressing, you don?t want to "cheat" too much when training either. You don't want to lighten the weight more than is necessary. Controlled cheating, when done correctly, should work out to be no more than a slight nudge during the sticking point. The only difference between a good spot and the proper use of controlled cheating is that you are doing the controlled cheating without the aid of a training partner.

Save the controlled cheating for the truly heavy, overloading poundage. Controlled cheating should only be used by those people who understand the effectiveness of overloading the muscles. Be sure that you always use weight that?s heavy enough to warrant controlled cheating. Otherwise, there?s no need for this training strategy.

Paul Delia of AST Sports Science believes that using form that is too strict can even hurt you. "Using strict, rigid form defies your body's natural biomechanical movements. This creates very high and abnormal stress to joints, connective tissue, and muscle attachments. These abnormal forces can increase your chance of injury while training," he preaches.

Paul goes on to say, "Strict form also severely limits the amount of weight you can train with due to its isolation effect and the defiance of optimum biomechanics. Because you use less weight, have a greater chance of injury, and produce less of an overload (resulting in less muscle growth), strict form does not make sense when compared to controlled cheating."

"Controlled cheating allows you to train heavier with less joint stress and greater muscle overload. This type of exercise execution creates a rhythm with the natural movement of your body's biomechanical structure-pivot points, muscle attachments, and range of motion. In short, it maximizes your ability to overload the muscle safely."

Sign up for my FREE Weekly E-Mail Newsletter: http://www.skiplacour.com/newsletter

Listen to Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding and Training Talk Radio Show every week at http://www.SkipLaCourRadio.com

Registered Camel Eater low blow's Avatar
    low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What are your lifts now at skip? Any competitions coming up?

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey..Skip..Its awesome to have you on these boards.

Just a quick question...

I've been using Max-OT for a couple weeks now and I think it has brought out the best in me as far as training heavy.

I was thinking of using a 3 day split with Max-OT principles.

And then later on in the week..do a upper/lower split HIT/Circuit style.

Do you think this would be benificial or overtraining?

Edit: Is there any way to see your form on exercises? There are some in particular I wanted to see. Mainly compound lifts that use some momentum.

Originally Posted by PacMan8 View Post
    Hey..Skip..Its awesome to have you on these boards.

Just a quick question...

I've been using Max-OT for a couple weeks now and I think it has brought out the best in me as far as training heavy.

I was thinking of using a 3 day split with Max-OT principles.

And then later on in the week..do a upper/lower split HIT/Circuit style.

Do you think this would be benificial or overtraining?

Edit: Is there any way to see your form on exercises? There are some in particular I wanted to see. Mainly compound lifts that use some momentum.
    Hey Pacan8:

Before I just answer that question about using the two routines, tell WHY you are thinking about doing that? What do hope that's going to accomplish?

Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000) Lowdown5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should strive for a "good value" and proper execution when you perform each repetition. What exactly do I mean by a good value and proper execution? Basically, good value and proper execution are the optimal balance between out-of-control, sloppy form and overly strict form.

Obviously, you never want to use extremely sloppy form when training. However, you shouldn't be overly concerned with extremely strict form either. You should aim for somewhere in between the two extremes.

Many bodybuilders have deemed the quality of form to be the most important aspect of training. Some people training in the gym use the rationale that lifting heavy weight causes you to train less effectively. "I always use really strict form!" they state proudly. "Lifting heavy weight is not beneficial at all if you don't use really strict form."

I?m certainly not saying you should train with careless, out-of-control form. Even worse, I'm not suggesting that you risk hurting yourself in order to lift heavy weight. Using form that is too sloppy won't work the intended muscle sufficiently. If you get hurt while trying to lift too much weight you?ll set yourself back both in time and momentum. Doing that is unquestionably worse than lifting lighter weights.

There is a happy medium, however. That happy medium is performing each set at what I describe as a good value and proper execution. Lifting heavy enough weight to build significant muscle mass--while still using form that's good enough to directly stimulate the intended muscle group.

Overloading the intended muscle group with heavy weight is one of the most important keys to effectively stimulating maximum muscle growth. Despite what many people believe, you don?t necessarily need to use strict form in order to stimulate the muscle. But, if you want to build the most muscle in the shortest period of time, you do need to use the heaviest amount of weight that you can lift at the same time that you are stimulating the muscle group.

Some people refer to this training strategy as "controlled cheating." Controlled cheating is just a way to help you lift more weight. The more weight you can properly handle the better chance you have to put on muscle in a shorter period of time. I want to emphasize how important it is for you to handle the heavy weight properly. If you are using so much of your body's momentum to move the weight through the repetition and you are not directly stimulating the targeted muscle, then you are not using this training strategy correctly.

Simply put, controlled cheating is like giving yourself a spot. It will help you get the heavy weight through the "sticking point" and still allow you to blast the muscle group you are training at the same time.

Have you ever noticed when you are doing a set of barbell bench presses that there is a certain part of the movement that's especially difficult to press the weight through? There?s about a two-inch "sticking point" as you press the weight upward that presents the most difficult challenge. A good, attentive training partner can give you a slight spot, or just enough help, to get the bar all the way up--using most of your own power.

Ideally, lifting the weight without the aid of a spotter would be better, but you are still effectively stimulating the pectoral muscles even with that slight nudge. The extra poundage you are able to lift creates a tremendous value--and becomes far more beneficial to your muscle-building efforts than using overly strict form and the lighter weight that you?ll need to settle for in order to conform to that strict movement.

Just as you would never want your training partner to lighten the weight too much when he spots you while bench pressing, you don?t want to "cheat" too much when training either. You don't want to lighten the weight more than is necessary. Controlled cheating, when done correctly, should work out to be no more than a slight nudge during the sticking point. The only difference between a good spot and the proper use of controlled cheating is that you are doing the controlled cheating without the aid of a training partner.

Save the controlled cheating for the truly heavy, overloading poundage. Controlled cheating should only be used by those people who understand the effectiveness of overloading the muscles. Be sure that you always use weight that?s heavy enough to warrant controlled cheating. Otherwise, there?s no need for this training strategy.

Paul Delia of AST Sports Science believes that using form that is too strict can even hurt you. "Using strict, rigid form defies your body's natural biomechanical movements. This creates very high and abnormal stress to joints, connective tissue, and muscle attachments. These abnormal forces can increase your chance of injury while training," he preaches.

Paul goes on to say, "Strict form also severely limits the amount of weight you can train with due to its isolation effect and the defiance of optimum biomechanics. Because you use less weight, have a greater chance of injury, and produce less of an overload (resulting in less muscle growth), strict form does not make sense when compared to controlled cheating."

"Controlled cheating allows you to train heavier with less joint stress and greater muscle overload. This type of exercise execution creates a rhythm with the natural movement of your body's biomechanical structure-pivot points, muscle attachments, and range of motion. In short, it maximizes your ability to overload the muscle safely."

Skip,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. Your reply makes complete sense.You do raise another question I have, how effective and safe is MaxOT training if you don't have a training partner or a spot? I train in a gym at 4am and most times I am the only one there. I tend to use Hammer strength machines or dumbbells in this case so that I can train heavier and safely. Would this still fit into a MaxOT protocol?

Thanks in advance.

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey Pacan8:

Before I just answer that question about using the two routines, tell WHY you are thinking about doing that? What do hope that's going to accomplish?
    Well..

a. more cardio like workouts + MAX-OT = More stimulation perhaps.

b. Most people I know have had the best gains training each bodypart 2x a week.

c. The Circuit training will help to lower my 20% bf.

d. kinda get the best of both worlds.

Well..

a. more cardio like workouts + MAX-OT = More stimulation perhaps.

b. Most people I know have had the best gains training each bodypart 2x a week.

c. The Circuit training will help to lower my 20% bf.

d. kinda get the best of both worlds.
    Ok. now let's think about this when TRYING TO PACK ON THE MOST MUSCLE IN THE SHORTEST PERIOD OF TIME (as opposed to getting your performance or skill level up with weight training for a sport).

When you lift weights, you are overloading the muscle and initiating the growth process. I say initiating because that's just the first step. You need to eat in manner that supports that training and you must let the muscle recover from the weight training before the muscle actually grows.

All weight training stimulates the muscle. You want to train in manner that stimulates the muscle in the MOST effective and MOST efficient manner.

"Cardio workouts" as you put it may stimulate the muscle. But do they build muscle in the most effective and most efficient manner? No. Those type of workouts are more for improving performance type sports or activities.

Why do you want a "cardio workout"? To help you lose body fat?

Use weight training to stimulate the muscle for growth. Use cardiovascular training (bike, treadmill, etc.) and especially your DIET to help you lose body fat. That should answer the question about circuit training lowering your body fat with circuit training.

So, to answer your question, you don't need to do both types of workouts (and should not) at the same time to build muscle.

Some people can get results doing anything. That doesn't necessarily mean they are getting the best gains they can. So, that should never be used as logic. If you eat right, you can make gains training body parts 4 times a week--but I'm sure you would never recommend doing that, right?

It's NOT the best of both worlds. You are compromising both worlds.

If what I read between the lines is that you want to lose some body fat, change your approach. Don't look to make it happen in that hour in the gym. Watch what you do in those other 23 hours of the day. In other words, REFINE YOUR DIET! Don't slack on the diet because you are "training hard in the gym."

You'll be like those 50 year old ladies who show up at the gym every day but their fat bodies never change.

Skip La Cour’s web site: http://www.skiplacour.com

Last edited by skiplacour; 05-09-2008 at 06:50 PM.

^^ Wow Skip. Great Reply repped.

I think my diet is fairly solid.

I usually have:

-1 lb of Chicken Breast
    -2 cups of oats
    -6 ish tbsp of pb.
    -5-6 whole eggs
    -lots of milk (2%)
    -cheese
    -whey
    -almonds
    -canola oil/olive oil

^^ Wow Skip. Great Reply repped.

I think my diet is fairly solid.

I usually have:

-1 lb of Chicken Breast
    -2 cups of oats
    -6 ish tbsp of pb.
    -5-6 whole eggs
    -lots of milk (2%)
    -cheese
    -whey
    -almonds
    -canola oil/olive oil

That doesn't give me the entire picture. There's a lot more to eating than what you eat.

I'll line out guiding principles to good nutrition soon.

That doesn't give me the entire picture. There's a lot more to eating than what you eat.

Really? Wow.

Ok..then ill wait for the nutrition principles.

Will these be the principles like you outline in your Bodybuilding Nutrition book?

Will these be the principles like you outline in your Bodybuilding Nutrition book?
    Yes. Not quite as detail though.

If you already made the smart investment in my e-book Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding Nutrition, then you have all the information there.

http://www.skiplacour.com/nutrition-download.htm

If you already made the smart investment in my e-book Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding Nutrition, then you have all the information there.

Dang. I thought it was free.

All of your books are great Skip.

Skip,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. Your reply makes complete sense.You do raise another question I have, how effective and safe is MaxOT training if you don't have a training partner or a spot? I train in a gym at 4am and most times I am the only one there. I tend to use Hammer strength machines or dumbbells in this case so that I can train heavier and safely. Would this still fit into a MaxOT protocol?

Thanks in advance.

Skip, wanted to repost my question from above to see is maybe I could get your input.

Registered Foam Roller BigChamp89's Avatar
    BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000) BigChamp89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    wow awesome, good to see skip on here

Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwi_ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Skip what do you think the best approach to cardio is? Bob Chick says that doing it at a moderate pace for a long time is your best bet.

Like 65rpm on a stationary bike for an hour.
    It is with people like you that this sport will never grow. "When you say, everything and anything to be pro, do you mean even to turn HOMO?...

- Serge Nubret

dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000) dpd555 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Earlier in my bodybuilding career, I remember when a more experienced bodybuilder, Ron "Alcatraz" Coleman (Not Mr. Olympia), told me that he finished his workouts in about 40 minutes--including cardiovascular training! I simply couldn't believe a person could effectively get the job done in such a short period of time.

Even though I had a lot of respect for Ron and knew he had about 15 years of training experience and a world title under his belt, I simply couldn't believe it. "Surely his success had more to do with his years of training or superior genetics," I thought. Does that kind of thinking sound familiar to anyone you know? Uh-huh. I know exactly what you're thinking right now! Besides, I had been training for about seven years at the time and was already a national champion myself. It wasn't like I was a rookie in the gym by any means.

Well, guess what? After about five long years, I finally understood what he was talking about. I wish he could have coached me a little better. I wish he could have persuaded me to understand his intelligent, effective, and efficient approach to training. Quite frankly, I wish he had hit me with a dumbbell to ram that valuable lesson through my thick head! If he had done so, I would have saved at least five years of less-productive training and hours of time wasted in the gym. I wish Ron had forced me to challenge myself to become more effective with shorter workouts.
    Great advice Skip. It's great to see you here.
    You and Ron were my idols growing up. Ron helped prep me for my first show and he's remained a close friend ever since. When training legs with Ron we would usually finish the workout in 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by Kiwi_n00b View Post
    Skip what do you think the best approach to cardio is? Bob Chick says that doing it at a moderate pace for a long time is your best bet.

Like 65rpm on a stationary bike for an hour.
    I really wish I could answer your questions with simple, direct, and concrete "absolute". Unfortunately, I have found that this is NOT the most effective way for people to understand the concepts of bodybuilding and training. I've discovered that, if you don't give a person the answer they "want", your explanation is oftentimes just a waste of time.

Most of the time, people just look for your advice as a for of VALIDATING what they already believe to be true or what they are already doing.

This is, however, a thread to help you your MIND to reach your goals, right?

That being said, let's discuss cardiovascular training.

What is it for? Revving up your metabolism to effectively burn body fat. It does NOT do this so much at the time you are doing it--but its affect on your metabolism the rest of the day (speeding it up). Cardiovascular training is also good for the heart, lungs and blood circulation but, usually, ambitious young lifters aren't too concerned with these benefits.

Those are the benefits of cardio--whether you do it for 5 minutes; 16 minutes; 30 minutes; 45 minutes; or an hour.

So, when you say "best" in terms of bodybuilding, you usually mean (whether you know it or not) "What method helps shed the most body fat while preserving as much muscle at the same time?"

45 minutes cardiovascular training sessions at a moderate pace are the pretty much universal way of stimulating the fat loss process and preserving as much muscle at the same time.

I have a question for you though.

What if you don't do your cardio because those 45 minutes sessions are too long and you can't fit them in your day or get too bored. Because of these reasons, you don't follow through and do them as often as you should.

Are they still the best method?

Any length of time doing cardio at any level of intensity can work with a good nutrition plan that compliments it. In fact, you can get really lean without doing any cardio whatsoever if you want to compensate what you've chosen with awesome eating habits. You can even preserve muscle lost doing cardio with an effective bracketing nutrition plan.

Which method of cardio is best? The one you follow through with on a consistent basis and support with the proper, appropriate eating plan.

I've done cardio many different ways and have been successful with all of them--when I followed through and ate appropriately.

I prefer Max-OT Cardio. I won my last two national championships using it. Max-OT Cardio sessions are 16 hard minutes with the utmost intensity.

I effectively stimulated the fat loss process and preserved muscle by bracketing (immediately before and after) each cardio session with precision nutritional habits.

It's not a simple answer but I hope it brings more clarity.

Last edited by skiplacour; 05-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Skip, wanted to repost my question from above to see is maybe I could get your input.
    Tell me why you WOULDN'T think its effective without a training partner or a spot?

weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000) weltweitefurcht is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Skip

What tips would you suggest to someone trying to build their upper inner pecs? I'm an advanced bodybuilder, that just cant seem to get that upper chest growing. Doing incline dumbell presses first, on chest day hasn't been working much, I do a lot of higher angle cable flyes and dumbell incline flyes too..

This is all just making the middle of the chest bigger. I'm trying to get that crease at the top to fill in. Like my middle and lower chest.

Thanks in advance

Closed Thread