Closed Thread
Page 258 of 364 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 10915
    I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gymrat992 View Post
    Hey skip and fellow mass machines!

Although I've been training all along I've been away from this mass machine forum for a while but I'm pumped to be back! Can't wait to catch up with everyone!
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Gymrat992
    Welcome back, Gymrat992.

Where have you been?
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

Manslaughter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    I'm not even sure what you are talking about. Your wrists should never be locked in the "straight position" but, at the same time, they shouldn't be pushed back either.

Do have a challenge gripping and controlling the dumbbell, bar, or apparatus on any other exercises?
    I'm actually planning on going back and trying flat bench soon. But anyway, I can grip dumbbells perfectly fine for any pressing movement. It's just my main barbell movement causes pain in my wrists and pushes them pretty far back, pretty close to a 90 degree angle. I don't know what to do, it kills!
    Last edited by Manslaughter; 12-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Acting "As If"

"Acting as if" means that you that you consciously mimic the personality, characteristics, qualities, mindset, thinking patterns, speaking patterns, and total essence of someone who is already like the person you want to be.

One of the best skills you could ever develop is learning to "act as if" in every situation you are presented with in life.

If you wish to be a confident person, you act as if you are already a confident person. I you want to be a multi-millionaire, you decide to now act just like a multi-millionaire would. If you want to someday be the epitome of health and fitness, then you take on the behavioral patterns of a totally healthy and fit person right now.

You act this way NOW--even though you may not yet be that confident person. You NOW assume the same personality of a multi-millionaire--even before you actually acquire that wealth. You NOW walk, talk, think, and take action as you were already a physical specimen--even if you haven't yet earned that impressive distinction.

Acting as if if is a cause set in motion. You'll see yourself taking action and making decisions just like the type of person you aspire to be. At the same time, you will NOT take action or make decisions that are counter productive to becoming the kind of person you are working hard to become.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Which one of my many information products is the very best for BEGINNERS?

Without a doubt, it's my 13-hour audio seminar course Bodybuilding and Training MASTERY - Step-By-Step. You simply can't go wrong as I take you through every step of what it takes to build muscle, lose body fat, stay motivated, and create a productive lifestyle that supports your efforts. You'll get 3 eBooks including my best-seller Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding Nutrition absolutely FREE too. Every beginner who is truly committed must DEVOUR this information--and execute it. Throw in my Packing On Muscle digital movie dowload and you are all set. Go here to order and get them downloaded to you today.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 12-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

gymrat992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome back, Gymrat992.

Where have you been?
    Thanks Skip, I've been around but just haven't been checking the mass machine forum too often.
    I AM A MASS MACHINE!

What's Best For The Natural Trainer?

When a person asks me "What's best for a natural trainer?", it always present a challenge. Should I give that person's what is best for the "average" natural trainer?

You probably would NOT be impressed with the "average" natural trainer's level of drive, dedication, consistency, and focus--all of which have a HUGE impact on the productivity of any strategy they use. Obviously, genetics play a huge role too.

You may not be the "average"--so what would that matter to YOU? Maybe you are indeed the average? Maybe you are below average? Maybe you are far above average? I don't know--but that must be taken into account if you want to get the very most out of your personal situation.

I would suggest that, if a person wants to play it safe, go with what the majority thinks, and ease his mind, he should do what his favorite expert prescribes for the average natural trainer--but be open minded to make adjustments from there.

Use that as a starting point--not as the end all be all. Maybe it will prove to be "the best" for you. Maybe it won't. You'll have to apply you physical and mental abilities to it and find out through experimentation.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.

So… any tips or techniques on how to deal with my problem Skip?

Originally Posted by Manslaughter View Post
    So… any tips or techniques on how to deal with my problem Skip?
    I really can't figure what it is from what you described to me.

You are either gripping the bar incorrectly--or you have really weak wrists.

I really can't figure what it is from what you described to me.

You are either gripping the bar incorrectly--or you have really weak wrists.
    The heavy weight on the bar causes my wrists to be pushed back really far, close to a 90 degree angle.

The heavy weight on the bar causes my wrists to be pushed back really far, close to a 90 degree angle.
    I get that. All I can assume is that you have really weak wrists. Do see anyone else in your gym with that challenge?

If the bar is deep in the palm of your hand, I don't how the weight can push you wrist back to a 90 degree angle.

If the bar is deep in the palm of your hand, I don't how the weight can push you wrist back to a 90 degree angle.
    So the bar should be held at the bottom of your palm?

So the bar should be held at the bottom of your palm?
    C'mon, brother. Do I really need to tell you how to hold a barbell when you are doing a bench press?

Go to YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/skiplacour and watch some of the videos there.

I didn't write "at the bottom of your hand." I wrote deep within the palm of your hand.

Train Hard. Think Big.

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    I get that. All I can assume is that you have really weak wrists. Do see anyone else in your gym with that challenge?

I'm not exactly a gym expert, but I do have a lot of wrist pain doing things outside the gym, maybe you could try Ace bandage wrist wraps for support if it doesn't interfere with your grip on the bar. I have ones with metal or plastic (?) in them too to force my wrists to stay straight but they are velourish and I see no way you could use them in a gym.

When Did One Body Part, Once-A-Week Become The Training Split Of "Bros" and Gym Rats?

There are things that I find amusing when I watch the YouTube Fitness Channels and listen to what they preach. One thing that I hear over and over again is that one body part, once-a-week training split is an uneducated, follow-the-leader "bro" training split and one designed for "steroid-using bodybuilders."

Let me take you back some 18 or more years ago (when many of these bodybuilding experts could barely walk).

At that time, almost everybody trained each body part multiple times a week. It was just how people trained back then. That's what all the magazines advised. I did too--and it worked great for me. Then, Paul Delia introduced me to one body part, once-a-week training. My already very good physique dramatically improved even more. My strength, confidence, and enthusiasm to train went through the roof. Every workout became an exciting challenge and an enjoyable "game."

For me, that training split bolstered into my mental and emotional strength which undoubtedly helped me physically. Was it "optimal" for muscle gains? Who knows? Was it extremely effective because it tapped into my mental and emotional strength? Without question!

The bottom line: I got awesome RESULTS.

Now, I am not trying to start a debate as to which training split is "optimal" for everyone. I just want to give the people who are rather new to bodybuilding and training a little bodybuilding and training "history lesson."

I wrote a continual series of featured articles for Ironman Magazine. In 1995, I wrote about my experiences with one body part, once-a-week training. That article generated the most attention of any training article I've written in my career by far.

Nobody was training that way back then. To make matters even interesting, Ironman Magazine split the training routine feature article into two different issues--with a month gap in between the two. I bet I received at least 500 emails and written letters in the following years for either Part One or Part Two--because they were missing one or the other.

I remember walking around Columbus, Ohio at the Arnold Classic on a cold night 15 or so years ago. A European bodybuilding fan sprinted about 100 years straight at me because he wanted to know how to get the segment he didn't have. He just had to have it!

Back in those days, bodybuilding information wasn't as diluted as it is today. You had to work very hard to get a "voice" in the bodybuilding and training world--even if you didn't give the best advice. Everyone didn't have easy access to an inexpensive, high-quality Flip video camera and a free YouTube channel. Everyone wasn't able to host their own website or blog. When you stated your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, you had the attention of the entire bodybuilding and training world--and you were held accountable.

Natural bodybuilders at that time attacked me through emails and written letters saying there was no way I was truly drug-free because I trained one body part, once-a-week. A top IFBB Pro, Top 2 Mr. Olympia competitor snidely quipped that there was no way I could effectively build muscle training the muscles so infrequently. (He, by the way, trained each body part 2 to 3 times a week).

I was getting it from both ends of the spectrum. As I mentioned, almost no one was training the way I was at that time.

Over the last 15 years or so, it seemed like everyone converted to training one body part, once-a-week. In fact, at that time, it became a common thing to hear that only "steroid using bodybuilders" could train each body part MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK. It was thought that there was absolutely no way a natural bodybuilder could "recover" quickly enough to train each body part more than once a week.

Now, the young experts today profess that only steroid-using bodybuilders can train once a week and be effective.

In addition, the one body part, once-a-week training split is so common among the average, uneducated gym rats that it's now referred to as "bro training"--and only the smart, more evolved, enlightened, science and research-minded bodybuilders train each body part at least twice a week.

When the hell did the pendulum swing so far the other way? I missed all of that.

Is that really how the top IFBB pro bodybuilders train? One body part, once-a-week? Or, is that just folklore that started to substantiate the new crop of bodybuilding experts' claims?

A quick check on the internet will show that the Top 3 finishers at last year's Mr. Olympia trained each body part TWICE a week. The fourth and fifth place finishers look like they trained one body part, once-a-week. Three of the last four Mr. Olympia's trained each body part more than once-a-week. It would be a big stretch to assume one body part, once-a-week is the common protocol among all of the of "non natural" bodybuilders around the world at lower levels, wouldn't it? And how would natural bodybuilders and experts know that for sure anyway?

Again, my point isn't about which training split is optimal. It's that, no matter what time period you are in, people have their crazy theories of "this is because of that" and confidently state them as if they are fact.

Each generation of bodybuilding experts spread their share of bull**** and make whatever claims they need to in order to prove their points--and this generation is no different.

Just like the "Chia Pet" infomercial that becomes popular again every 8 to 10 years on television, when do you think training one body part, once-a-week will once again be the ONLY way evolved, intelligent, science and research-minded, natural bodybuilders will train?

At the height of my competitive career and exposure in the muscle magazines, I would occasionally have some angry, upstart bodybuilder inform me that I wasn't the person who invented one body part, once-a-week training (which I never claimed, by the way). "They used to train that way in the 80s!" (or, 70s, or 60s...I really don't remember)

Do the young experts today know they aren't inventing anything new? Do they even realize that they are simply recycling older concepts--just like the Chia Pet's infomercial popularity? I hear them saying things like we are a "new, smarter generation" and "we realize the world is no longer flat.

No need for fasted cardio? Demolished back in 2000. Overemphasizing the need for pre and post workout nutrition? That wasn't even "invented" until around 2002. Nutrient timing? Again, that was "invented" in the early 2000s. Creatine won't bloat you? No breakthrough there. I used to load on creatine the final week before my contests since 1994. I could go on and on.

When are these new experts going to get over themselves and realize that they aren't saying anything original? They are just initiating its new cycle of the same theories and interpretation of the scientific facts that were around a long time ago.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.

CLICK HERE to go the Skip La Cour ******** page now for continula updates and discussions. Make sure uupi "Show in News Feed" and "Add to Interest List" when Liking the page.

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Talk Radio Show and Podcast

12-9-12

In this podcast, Skip La Cour Explains Why Many Fitness Experts Believe They MUST Continually Offer You "New and Exciting" Information

Click Here to Listen to Podcast
    Last edited by skiplacour; 12-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.

How Much Importance Should You Put On Your Weight On The Scale?

In this video, Skip La Cour talks the importance of knowing the difference between quality muscle mass and your weight on the scale.

Aesthetically pleased fretslayer's Avatar
    fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000)

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Talk Radio Show and Podcast

12-2-12

In this podcast, Skip La Cour Explains Why Many Fitness Experts Believe They MUST Continually Offer You "New and Exciting" Information

Click Here to Listen to Podcast
    Skip, is this the most recent podcast? The date says 12-2-12.
    Lee Priest for President

It's 12-9-12. You probably already found that out when you clicked the link.

Aesthetically pleased fretslayer's Avatar
    fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000) fretslayer is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's 12-9-12. You probably already found that out when you clicked the link.
    It's a blocked site here at work, so I'll listen later. Thanks!
    Lee Priest for President

NOW Is the Time to Make the Most of Each Day!

If you had the last five years to live over again, how much more decisive would you have been about establishing goals? How much smarter would you have worked? How much harder would you have worked? How much more single-minded would you have been toward achieving your goals? How much more productive would you have been?

Unfortunately, you can't go back and relive your last five years--but you can learn from your experiences.

Make the most out of your next five years. Make decisions about what you want. Work smart. Work hard. Become single-minded. Be productive.

Just like the past five years, the next five years will come and go before you know it. Make the most out of every single day this time around.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Tell Others About Your Goals

Commit to getting what you want in life by passionately telling others about your plans. Don't be afraid to tell other people about them. This self-imposed pressure will help you follow through. You'll step up to the challenge in a manner far more powerfully than you would if you didn't commit to others.

Tell them in a way that will inspire them. They, in turn, will be happy to help you in your efforts.

One of the quickest ways to achieve your goals in life is to "put yourself out there" by telling others about what you plan to accomplish. Doing so takes courage.

Telling other people all about what you want out of life creates a certain level of stress--but it's "good" stress.

The more stress you can embrace and endure in your life, the more successful you will become.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM180 PHYSIO-MACHINE SUPREME Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

What Is The Best Way To Warm Up For A Workout? How Many Sets? How Many Reps? How Much Weight?

Your Coach Skip La Cour explains the most effective and efficient approach to warm up sets. Follow this advice and you'll save the majority of your time and energy for the heavy, progressively overloading, muscle-stimulating working sets. It the heavy, taxing working sets that initiate the muscle building process--not the warm up sets.

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM180 PHYSIO-MACHINE SUPREME Capsules on Bodybuilding.com

Changing Your Life for the Better

We all want to make improvements or changes in our lives, don't we? No matter how well things are going in certain parts of our lives, there's always at least one or two areas that we'd like to make at least a little better. That desire for improvement or change is not only normal--it's healthy. Continual growth is one of the keys to happiness in life.

If you want your life to change for the better, then you must change. That sounds like a reasonable request, doesn't it? That also sounds simple, right?

Is this a reasonable request for someone committed to improving the quality of his or her life? Yes. Is this a simple concept to understand? Yes, it's relatively simple. But is it easy to change your life for the better? Well, maybe not.

Consider everything involved in change. There are many things that you do and certain ways that you think on a consistent, daily basis that have gotten you where you are today. Those daily habits and thoughts have created this current version of you. Some of these are great vehicles and some of them are not-so-great ways to get you to the place in life where you ultimately want to be.

Exactly where are you today? What are the specific actions and thoughts that you'll need to change? Which ones will you need to make sure that you don't change? What's serving you well now and will take you to that next level in the future at the same time?

The process of change will take a lot introspection. It will take a lot of trial and error. Change may take time--so you'll need to be patient. You must be sensory acute to see if your new habits and thoughts are getting you closer or further away from what you really want. You must constantly assess your progress or lack of progress.

Because everything you do and the way you think all work in a synergistic manner, you may even need to let go of some of the things that are currently serving you well. Yes, that's right. You may need to abandon some of the patterns that you think are productive.

Why would you need to stop doing things that are helping you succeed today? Although they may have gotten you to where you are now, those very same things may be preventing you from getting to that higher level you desire in life.

Letting go of the things that have served you well will take courage. You may set yourself back in your journey before you start making progress in the right direction. But, that may just be what you need to do to get out of your comfort zone and finally create an extraordinary life. The type of life that's quite a few notches above how you are living today.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM30 Maximum Performance Multivitamin on Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by skiplacour; 12-12-2012 at 05:59 AM.

medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) medchard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    don't lie at me skip you're not natural

BRAND NEW PODCAST!

Podcast #22 - December 12, 2012

Creating The Change You Need To Make 2013 An Awesome Year

Click Here to listen and/or download this week's podcast.

Send me your FEEDBACK about this episode at skip@massmachinenutrition.com

Catch up on all the Mass Machine Bodybuilding.com Message Board Podcasts You Missed

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #1
    "What You Can Expect From This Weekly Podcast Created Just For This Bodybuilding.com Message Board"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #2
    "The Mass Machine Nutrition Story (So Far)- Part #1: This Story Is About YOU and Overcoming YOUR Challenges!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #3
    "The Mass Machine Nutrition Story (So Far)- Part #2: This Story Is About YOU and Overcoming YOUR Challenges!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #4
    "Mass Machine Bulking and Cutting Program Challenge Winner James "Canz" Canzanella Co-Hosts, Talks About the Challenge, and Shares His Future Plans"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #5
    "Dwite Tucker (aka Lex29us) joins Skip La Cour the Co-Host for This Week Podcast and "Volunteers" for Some Coaching"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #6
    "Don't Blow the Opportunities You've Worked Hard To Create By Only Going 90% of the Way There!"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #7
    "Let's Add Some Entertainment To This Message Board With Some 'Big Brother' Advice About Life"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #8
    "Skip Talks About '49 Days to Confidence', What He Loves About Podcasts, Some of the Stupid Things That Bother Him, and a Lot of Other Ramblings"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #9
    "Two Hidden Downsides of the Structured Bodybuilding and Training Lifestyle"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #10
    "Mass Machine Portia Phelps Wins Bodybuilding.com's Transformation of the Week and Shares Her Story"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #11
    "5 Steps To Take That Will Help You Succeed In Any Area of Your Life"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #12
    "Have People In Your Life Who Make You Feel 'Lazy'"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #13
    "What Our Fellow Mass Machine Dwite Tucker (Lex29us) Would Have Wanted Us To Learn In His Passing"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #14
    "Tony Ruggiero Joins the Podcast and Skip Talks About When He Was 'Devastated' By Coming in Second Place"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #15
    "Skip Talks About What It Takes To Succeed With Your Efforts and the Business of Bodybuilding with Tony Ruggiero"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #16
    "Success Strategies That You May Not Fully Understand Yet (Don't Listen To This Podcast Unless You Want To Be MASSIVELY Successful!)"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #17
    "Skip Talks About Some of the Places He Has Traveled as a Bodybuilder; A Little Business as a Bodybuilder; and A Few On the Road Stories"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #18
    "Follow The Advice of the Coach or Mentor You've Chosen Even If His Advice Doesn't Make Sense To You"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #19
    "The Importance of Taking Inventory of Your Progress and Accomplishments During Every Step of Your Journey"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #20
    "Skip Encourages You To Become 'Relentless" While Pursuing Your Goals and Shares His Thoughts on the Passing of His First Mentor Zig Ziglar"

Click Here to listen and/or download Podcast #21
    "Skip Announces His Plans for the 2013 Mass Machine Nutrition "49 Days To SUPREME Confidence Transformation Challenge"

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm listening to the podcasts! I enjoy them. I haven't wanted to ask questions because I feel like I have a lot of material left to absorb, and I also feel like if I did anything consistently long enough my questions would answer themselves. Anway, here are the two questions I had at the end of the challenge, didn't send in this assignment (21) because I kinda sorta thought I knew the answer and they were silly questions, but they were what was on my mind (and still sort of there).

1. Why did I not see an increase in muscle size when I did see an increase in strength in 8 weeks?
    2. Why does my weight stay relatively stable whether I eat well above or well below maintenance?

For #1 I could have said six months too since that was the other length of time I've gone to the gym regularly and progressed in strength.

My guestimate answers would be I'm too chubby to see any muscle and it would be a slower process to gain anything and for #2 I'm just not consistent enough with my eating or tracking it.

Anyway I'm listening and I'm still learning!

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today

Originally Posted by CewSaw View Post
    I'm listening to the podcasts! I enjoy them. I haven't wanted to ask questions because I feel like I have a lot of material left to absorb, and I also feel like if I did anything consistently long enough my questions would answer themselves. Anway, here are the two questions I had at the end of the challenge, didn't send in this assignment (21) because I kinda sorta thought I knew the answer and they were silly questions, but they were what was on my mind (and still sort of there).

1. Why did I not see an increase in muscle size when I did see an increase in strength in 8 weeks?
    2. Why does my weight stay relatively stable whether I eat well above or well below maintenance?

For #1 I could have said six months too since that was the other length of time I've gone to the gym regularly and progressed in strength.

My guestimate answers would be I'm too chubby to see any muscle and it would be a slower process to gain anything and for #2 I'm just not consistent enough with my eating or tracking it.

Anyway I'm listening and I'm still learning!
    Hi CewSaw...

Thanks for listening to the podcasts. Thanks for your support.

You're the first MASS MACHINE to TAKE ACTION. Awesome!

I can assure you that, if you are lifting consistently, gaining strength, and eating relatively well, you are indeed gaining muscle. Maybe not enough for you to clearly see all the time--but you are gaining muscle. You are correct. When a person drops enough body fat, the muscle gains see to "come out of nowhere."

The didn't just show up when the person got lean enough. They were always there.

If you were to gain one pound of muscle, let's use as an example, that would be a massively significant, impressive gain. Yet, that would only be a 1/125 increase for a 125 pound woman (as an example). That wouldn't always be clearly visible.

The first thing I would ask you is "What does 'stay relatively the same" mean to you?" "Only" a five pound weight loss? "Only" 10 pounds? You might make be making progress. As your coach, I would make sure your expectations are reasonable.

When you do work hard to build some muscle and lose body fat, the "net" result might not always be as impressive as you'd like on the scale.

How you look in the mirror, how your clothes are fitting, and knowing that you are following through with the things you already know you should do (Daily Disciplines) are better indicators of your progress.

Keep on, keepin' om!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today

Chart Your Own Direction in Life

Whether you choose to be a little tougher[/b] on yourself now or decide to enjoy life a little more, each path you take has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

When you decide to be tougher on yourself and expect to produce more, life usually becomes a little more taxing and stressful in the short run. However, you can almost be certain that the long term quality of your life will be greatly enhanced by your efforts.

Taking it easy on yourself for a while and stopping to "smell the roses" can certainly add a certain quality to your life. There's no doubt about it. What normally happens after a certain period of time is that angst builds inside you. That angst drives you to work a little harder and accomplish a little more. Taking it easy sometimes creates a certain level of pain and discomfort in the long run.

Because both routes have advantages and disadvantages, neither one is necessarily "right" or "wrong." You'll need to find the right balance of the two which best fits the plans you have for your life. Finding the right balance between the two paths takes a lot of thought and advanced planning. This is a decision that YOU must make. Other people can’t make it for (although sometimes people try!).

What is "wrong" is not charting the direction you really want to go and letting life whip you around aimlessly and without a plan.

Train Hard. Think Big.

You are a MASS MACHINE!

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM525 Micronized Glutamine on Bodybuilding.com

henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10) henderjb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

As usual, I enjoyed the latest podcast. It was nice to hear someone revving up for the New Year instead of revving down for Christmas!

Here’s a question that runs around in my mind. Ever heard someone say, don’t work too hard, you don’t want to burn yourself out?

Seems as if you are constantly working hard & striving to reach a new, higher level, there is some risk of burn out? What are your thoughts on getting burned out and how do you prevent it?

Although I am asking the question with regard to life as well as fitness goals, here is one specific example related to fitness. In one of your podcasts, you mentioned during your competitive years, you assumed the identify of a “physical specimen”. I have upped my standard for off-season conditioning this year, but I have tossed the idea of setting a new, EVEN HIGHER standard of off-season conditioning than I currently have. Can holding yourself to this high of a standard during the “off-season” risk burn-out before the actual “competition season” begins and be detrimental to your progress?

P.S. Your post "Chart Your Own Direction In Life" does help to shed some light on this.
    Visit:
    http://www.********.com/PositiveEnergy247Fitness
    http://joyhenderson.blogspot.com/
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/HenderJBvisuallinkcom
    http://www.youtube.com/user/positiveenergy247

Ecc 9:10 “Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might..”

gary_w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Skip: Just because people do not post alot; Don't think for one minute we are not listening to your pod cast. I enjoy them very much and can relate to them also. I have read the entire tread from post one. I would bet to say they are 100's of followers if not 1000's who enjoy and hang on every one of your words; just like the E F Hutton commericals. lol

Originally Posted by gary_w View Post
    Hi Skip: Just because people do not post alot; Don't think for one minute we are not listening to your pod cast. I enjoy them very much and can relate to them also. I have read the entire tread from post one. I would bet to say they are 100's of followers if not 1000's who enjoy and hang on every one of your words; just like the E F Hutton commericals. lol
    I appreciate that comment...and your support, gary_w!

Also, that you listen to podcasts.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Closed Thread
Page 258 of 364 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 ... LastLast