Closed Thread
Page 252 of 364 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,560 of 10915
    Lurking in the Shadows... rdcopps's Avatar
    rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I know that nutrition is extremely important, so here is my question that I have struggled with over the years. A person who is dedicated and committed to their training will be proactive and prepare their meals out days or even weeks in advance. If you are in a pinch, where you don't have access to proper, nutritious food, is it better to skip a meal all together or go ahead and eat some "junk"?

I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rdcopps View Post
    I know that nutrition is extremely important, so here is my question that I have struggled with over the years. A person who is dedicated and committed to their training will be proactive and prepare their meals out days or even weeks in advance. If you are in a pinch, where you don't have access to proper, nutritious food, is it better to skip a meal all together or go ahead and eat some "junk"?
    Hi rdcopps......

You shouldn't struggle with this issue--especially when you have a good grasp of the "big picture" when it comes to your eating habits and overall bodybuilding and training goals.

Ask yourself this question:

Will missing this meal hurt my muscle building/fat loss efforts--or will it throw me off mentally and emotionally?

Also, tell me what your ultimate goals are when it comes to your bodybuilding and training? Are you trying to be a top level competitive bodybuilder with a show in 8 weeks--or just trying to look great and be healthy? There's a big difference in how, myself, would approach this dilemma depending on the situation--but I'm not you--and that's very important to understand.

I struggle when answering this question because I am writing this answer for EVERYONE to read--but it really comes down to your personal and specific situation.

Much of all of this really depends on how your brain is programmed and what "success" means to you. Everyone is different--but everyone wants a "black and white" answer.

I can easily tell you to "Go ahead and eat 'junk' (even though I am not quite sure what that means to you) because one meal every once in awhile isn't going to make a difference."

For many people, that would be the "right" answer. But from my experience working with so many people for so many years, that kind of advice is an open invitation and a "blessing" for many people to lower their standards and, without realizing it, they are missing meals all the time and eating junk food more often because they were told by someone they chose to listen to that "it doesn't matter."

It then also becomes pervasive in ALL areas of their bodybuilding and training efforts. Before they know it, cutting a workout short doesn't matter; skipping a cardio session doesn't matter; not going for that one more rep doesn't matter; an even missing a workout doesn't matter.

Some people would take that very same answer, keep it in the proper context, and do just fine with it.

Some people would even argue that all of those little tasks actually do not matter. And you know what? I can agree with them to a certain extent. Individually, many of those things do not matter--but collectively they most certainly do.

Do you get my point?

That's why I believe an effective coach sets OUTRAGEOUS STANDARDS for his students to aspire to. Those standards that they establish for their students should be at a level HIGHER than what they are currently doing. Not too high that they become overwhelmed, mind you. EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET can raise their current standards for everything they do!

You do NOT need a coach to make you feel better when you fall short of your own, self-imposed standards. That's what you have your mother for. That's what you have the people in your life who think you are doing great just doing what you are currently doing for (even though YOU want more out of yourself). Explain and rationalize your shortcomings to them.

Hell, just scour the internet. There is currently a growing trend of fitness internet gurus who will tell you that "it doesn't matter so don't worry about it" for many aspects of the bodybuilding and training process. If that type of advice works for you and it keeps you on the right track--that's awesome. Just remember that is because that's how YOU have sorted all of the factors in your own mind to make them work. That perspective and that approach works for YOU and helps you become your very best.

It does NOT work for everyone.

At the same time, I don't know too many people who could be dedicated enough to prepare meals weeks in advance. If that was the standard they were expected to live up to, 99.9% of them would fail.

With all of that being said......

Creatively find a way to eat what you have planned and when you have planned to eat. Live up to your own self-imposed standards as much as you can. When you fall short, you bounce back to "fight another day" just like you must do to be successful in ANY area of your life.

One more point:

Many people like to break down bodybuilding and training success down to "sets, reps, and an eating plan." They are determined to neatly cram all of this in a "box." When they fall short in their efforts, it is either because of genetic limitations or someone else is taking drugs. They don't re-evaluate their standards to determine if they are truly high enough for them to success at the level they really want--because they aren't looking inward. They are looking at the "sets, reps, and an eating plan."

Success in ALL areas of life ultimately comes down to who has the SUPERIOR MINDSET. With information so freely available, the "right" set of strategies to succeed in ANYTHING are already out there--but very few people actually succeed.

It obviously just doesn't come down to learning the best information.

GREAT QUESTION, rdcopps!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.

These two eBooks are yours FREE...

..when you sign up for Skip La Cour's updates.
    Click Here and sign up to get them now.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 10-27-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000) finns03 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Hi finns03....

Hmmm....I've never heard or seen that question asked before.

Why would you want to have a "full body pump" throughout the day?

What would that do for you? Make you physically feel and look "bigger"?
    Precisely! I want to be full like I am while supplementing with Agmatine, Glycerol or a good PH. I just like to fill out my clothes no matter my size and the pump helps. After-all, "The pump is the greatest feeling in the world, it's like cumming!"

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by finns03 View Post
    Precisely! I want to be full like I am while supplementing with Agmatine, Glycerol or a good PH. I just like to fill out my clothes no matter my size and the pump helps. After-all, "The pump is the greatest feeling in the world, it's like cumming!"
    LOL

Well, finns03. I'm not a big fan of ways to trick yourself into "feeling" big.

The best way for you to look big and feel big is to BE BIG.

The reason why a pump "feels" so good is because of the CONTRAST of that feeling compared to when you are in your regular state. If you were pumped all the time, you'd get used to it.

You would no longer get the psychological benefits you once felt.

On another note, the pump is NOT the greatest feeling on earth. And, trust me, I am sure Arnold never really felt that way.

Most of the time in life, you have to look past the OBVIOUS to learn what it takes to succeed.

Since the beginning of time, successful people like Arnold have learned to associate EXTREME PLEASURE (like having an orgasm) to things that aren't always the most pleasurable to perform AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL but you must do to succeed (like weight training).

Just think if you told yourself over and over for years that training and getting a "pump" was like cumming. And, you took it once step further and every time you were cumming for years, you forced yourself to think about how awesome training and getting a pump was.

The two activities would be forever linked in your mind and body to a certain level. That's why that "one song" will always remind you of "high school."

You want to be successful at anything? Associate what you want to be successful at to one of the most basic and powerful human desires....CUMMING!

I am sure Arnold used that same mental technique to drive his ambition to be successful in ALL areas of his life.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk! Everything in life has benefits AND consequences.

You better be careful how you use this power. As you witnessed with Arnold, it does have its drawbacks! LOL

Have you ever noticed that the most powerful and successful men in the world throughout time have had extremely high sex drives and often get caught up in inappropriate sex scandals?

Something to think about.

But I could do an entire podcast on this subject!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

These two eBooks are yours FREE...

..when you sign up for Skip La Cour's updates.
    Click Here and sign up to get them now.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdcopps is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi rdcopps......

You shouldn't struggle with this issue--especially when you have a good grasp of the "big picture" when it comes to your eating habits and overall bodybuilding and training goals.

Ask yourself this question:

Will missing this meal hurt my muscle building/fat loss efforts--or will it throw me off mentally and emotionally?

Also, tell me what your ultimate goals are when it comes to your bodybuilding and training? Are you trying to be a top level competitive bodybuilder with a show in 8 weeks--or just trying to look great and be healthy? There's a big difference in how, myself, would approach this dilemma depending on the situation--but I'm not you--and that's very important to understand.

I struggle when answering this question because I am writing this answer for EVERYONE to read--but it really comes down to your personal and specific situation.

Much of all of this really depends on how your brain is programmed and what "success" means to you. Everyone is different--but everyone wants a "black and white" answer.

I can easily tell you to "Go ahead and eat 'junk' (even though I am not quite sure what that means to you) because one meal every once in awhile isn't going to make a difference."

For many people, that would be the "right" answer. But from my experience working with so many people for so many years, that kind of advice is an open invitation and a "blessing" for many people to lower their standards and, without realizing it, they are missing meals all the time and eating junk more often because they were told by someone they chose to listen to that "it doesn't matter."

It then also becomes pervasive in ALL areas of their bodybuilding and training efforts. Before they know it, cutting a workout short doesn't matter; skipping a cardio session doesn't matter; not going for that one more rep doesn't matter; an even missing a workout doesn't matter.

Some people would take that very same answer, keep it in the proper context, and do just fine with it.

Some people would even argue that all of those little tasks actually do not matter. And you know what? I can agree with them to a certain extent. Individually, many of those things do not matter--but collectively they most certainly do.

Do you get my point?

That's why I believe an effective coach sets OUTRAGEOUS STANDARDS for his students to aspire to. Those standards that they establish for their students should be at a level HIGHER than what they are currently doing. Not too high that they become overwhelmed, mind you. EVERYONE ON THIS PLANET can raise their current standards for everything they do!

You do NOT need a coach to make you feel better when you fall short of your own, self-imposed standards. That's what you have your mother for. That's what you have the people in your life who think you are doing great just doing what you are currently doing (even though YOU want more out of yourself). Explain your shortcomings to them.

Hell, just scour the internet. There is currently a growing trend of fitness internet gurus who will tell you that "it doesn't matter so don't worry about it." If that type of advice works for you and it keeps you on the right track--that's awesome. Just remember that is because that's how YOU have sorted all of the factors in your own mind to make them work. That perspective and that approach works for YOU and help you become your very best.

It does NOT work for everyone.

At the same time, I don't know too many people who could be dedicated enough to prepare meals weeks in advance. If that was the standard they were expected to live up to, 99.9% of them would fail.

With all of that being said......

Creatively find a way to eat what you have planned and when you have planned to eat. Live up to your own self-imposed standards as much as you can. When you fall short, you bounce back to "fight another day" just like you must do to be successful in ANY area of your life.

One more point:

Many people like to break down bodybuilding and training success down to "sets, reps, and an eating plan." They are determined to neatly cram all of this in a "box." When they fall short in their efforts, it is either because of genetic limitations or someone else is taking drugs. They don't re-evaluate their standards to determine if they are truly high enough for them to success at the level they really want--because they aren't looking inward. They are looking at the "sets, reps, and an eating plan."

Success in ALL areas of life ultimately comes down to who has the SUPERIOR MINDSET. With information so freely available, the "right" set of strategies to succeed in ANYTHING are already out there--but very few people actually succeed.

It obviously just doesn't come down to learning the best information.

GREAT QUESTION, rdcopps!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition MM1000 Micronized Creatine here on Bodybuilding.com.
    Skip,

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have provided more information in my question, but you more than answered it for me. I guess I felt like I was sabotaging what I was trying to accomplish whenever I had to resort to less than optimal nutrition. I am not trying to be a top level competitor, just trying to look good. A "bad" meal here or there won't destroy all my progress as long at it remains "here or there". Thanks again for giving such a detailed response. I look forward to more teaching and training from you.

-RDCOPPS

See Which Questions Were Chosen Today and Go Vote for the "Best Question of the Day" NOW on the Skip La Cour ******** Page

Skip,

With the additional intake of protein, via shakes and bars, would it be wise to take an additional supplement to help detox the liver or do protein supplementation have minimal effect on the liver?

Skip,

With the additional intake of protein, via shakes and bars, would it be wise to take an additional supplement to help detox the liver or do protein supplementation have minimal effect on the liver?
    Hi rdcopps.....

That's an interesting question.

If you feel you might be causing your body harm with the amount of protein you are taking in, [i]you should NOT be taking in so much protein[/b].

That's the healthiest approach I can suggest. Causing your body harm in one way--and then neutralizing those negative effects in another way in the pursuit of a couple more ounces of muscle does not sound like the best way to go.

Do enough research on protein consumption so that YOU feel comfortable enough to decide what the safest and healthiest amount is for you to eat to reach your goals.

If you want to take a supplement that promises to help detox your body as a form of "insurance" or backup, that could work in that context.

Train Hard. Think Big.

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Talk Radio Show and Podcast

10-28-12

"Does It Really Matter?"

Skip La Cour talks about what is and what is not important when striving to reach your bodybuilding and training goals.

Click Here to Listen to Podcast

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

Fight Like Hell To Keep Your Muscle Mass Even When You Are Dieting To Lose Body Fat!

You don't have to lose all the muscle you've worked so hard to earn just because you are dieting to lose body fat. In this video, Skip La Cour talks about the mindset you must adopt and actions you must take in order to do so.

Elmodiferro4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Skip!
    I'm an ectomorph skinny guy, who's 1,90 metres x 70 kilograms!
    I've been to the gym for 4-5 months, doing newbie exercises, after that I stopped for almost half a year, and now, with a solid motivation and future dedication I want to achieve my dream body!
    On the web there's a lot of infos which is bad and good, I wasted way too much time, since you are a professional, could you advise me a SOLID routine and/or a SOLID diet plan for someone like me, who wants to gain mass and be in shape?

I've found this routine, is it any good?

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps:

Bench Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 3x10
    Dumbbell Fly - 2x12
    Dips - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Skull Crushers, on incline bench - 3x10

Day 2 - Back/Biceps:

Wide-grip lat pulldowns, or pull-ups - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Bent over barbell rows - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Dumbbell rows - 3x10
    Standing barbell curls - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Alternating dumbbell curls - 2x10

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders:

Barbell squats - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Leg press - 3x10
    Leg extensions - 3x10
    Lying leg curls - 3x10
    Calf raises, on Smith machine - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Barbell Shoulder Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Lateral raises, with dumbbells - 3x10
    Upright rows, with dumbbells - 3x10

High Rep Ab Day:

Crunches - 3x25

Superset with
    Reverse Crunches - 3x25

Low Rep Ab Day:

Exercise ball crunch, with weight behind head - 3x12

Superset with
    Hanging leg raises, with ankle weight if necessary - 3x12

Optional Superset Day:

Bench Press - 3x12, with Bent over barbell rows - 3x12
    Lat pulldowns - 3x12, with Dumbbell shoulder press - 3x12
    Skull Crushers - 3x12, with Standing barbell curls - 3x12

Thank you in advice!

Originally Posted by Elmodiferro4 View Post
    Hi Skip!
    I'm an ectomorph skinny guy, who's 1,90 metres x 70 kilograms!
    I've been to the gym for 4-5 months, doing newbie exercises, after that I stopped for almost half a year, and now, with a solid motivation and future dedication I want to achieve my dream body!
    On the web there's a lot of infos which is bad and good, I wasted way too much time, since you are a professional, could you advise me a SOLID routine and/or a SOLID diet plan for someone like me, who wants to gain mass and be in shape?

I've found this routine, is it any good?

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps:

Bench Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 3x10
    Dumbbell Fly - 2x12
    Dips - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Skull Crushers, on incline bench - 3x10

Day 2 - Back/Biceps:

Wide-grip lat pulldowns, or pull-ups - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Bent over barbell rows - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Dumbbell rows - 3x10
    Standing barbell curls - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Alternating dumbbell curls - 2x10

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders:

Barbell squats - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Leg press - 3x10
    Leg extensions - 3x10
    Lying leg curls - 3x10
    Calf raises, on Smith machine - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Barbell Shoulder Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Lateral raises, with dumbbells - 3x10
    Upright rows, with dumbbells - 3x10

High Rep Ab Day:

Crunches - 3x25

Superset with
    Reverse Crunches - 3x25

Low Rep Ab Day:

Exercise ball crunch, with weight behind head - 3x12

Superset with
    Hanging leg raises, with ankle weight if necessary - 3x12

Optional Superset Day:

Bench Press - 3x12, with Bent over barbell rows - 3x12
    Lat pulldowns - 3x12, with Dumbbell shoulder press - 3x12
    Skull Crushers - 3x12, with Standing barbell curls - 3x12

Thank you in advice!
    Hi Elmodiferro4.....

How do you define "solid"?

Does that mean "black and white," rock-solid information or approach to training that will never contradict any of the information out there from anyone else that, from this day forward, you'll never question if you are taking the "right" path?

Please tell me exactly what would give you the certainty and confidence you need. Be as specific as you can.

atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Response to answer about 6 pack abs

That is a terrific response, thanks for your time and advice.

To be perfectly transparent, no I do not count calories in fact. When I reviewed the program he mentioned that he (Kris) does not get caught in the "calorie counting" trap. He goes by consistantly measuring out portions, and tailoring it depending on the results he sees (i.e. reducing carbs if he is not seeing results on the scale). So, I tried to mirror that, and have begun to attempt to reduce (moderately) the number of carbs per meal, from 1 cup per meal to 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup per meal. I eat 6-7 meals a day more often 7 (eating a protein and a veggie as the last meal), as I workout normally on a 2-day on, 1 day "off" schedule (while doing HIT cardio on the off days).

Unfortunately, the unintended consequence is the increase greatly in hunger in between meals. I generally eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours, but have been struggling to make it 2 hours on some days. So, at night in lue of not wanting to eat heavy carbs, I try to drink a casein shake to curb the appetite. I struggle cognitively with wavering approaches to fat loss (i.e. calorie counting vs. portion control, carb-loading vs. carb cycling, etc.), but have pretty much stuck with portion control and quality foods (i.e. good carbs vs. bad carbs).

What I am essentially trying to say is (as you elluded to), man it is tough to get those last 5-10 % of stuborn fat off my body.
    "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"
    John Quincy Adams

Elmodiferro4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Elmodiferro4.....

How do you define "solid"?

Does that mean "black and white," rock-solid information or approach to training that will never contradict any of the information out there from anyone else that, from this day forward, you'll never question if you are taking the "right" path?

Please tell me exactly what would give you the certainty and confidence you need. Be as specific as you can.
    Thanks for the fast answer!
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I ment to say a strict diet and a strict work out that suits Ectomorph people like me as best as possible with the goal of gaining muscle and fat mass, since I'm willing to give 100% of myself, I have no problems at all following something hard where motivation and determination is needed.
    I'm simply afraid of wasting time at the gym doing the wrong exercises and not eating the right amount or the right things I've to.
    Last edited by Elmodiferro4; 10-29-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Originally Posted by atw1552 View Post
    That is a terrific response, thanks for your time and advice.

To be perfectly transparent, no I do not count calories in fact. When I reviewed the program he mentioned that he (Kris) does not get caught in the "calorie counting" trap. He goes by consistantly measuring out portions, and tailoring it depending on the results he sees (i.e. reducing carbs if he is not seeing results on the scale). So, I tried to mirror that, and have begun to attempt to reduce (moderately) the number of carbs per meal, from 1 cup per meal to 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup per meal. I eat 6-7 meals a day more often 7 (eating a protein and a veggie as the last meal), as I workout normally on a 2-day on, 1 day "off" schedule (while doing HIT cardio on the off days).

Unfortunately, the unintended consequence is the increase greatly in hunger in between meals. I generally eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours, but have been struggling to make it 2 hours on some days. So, at night in lue of not wanting to eat heavy carbs, I try to drink a casein shake to curb the appetite. I struggle cognitively with wavering approaches to fat loss (i.e. calorie counting vs. portion control, carb-loading vs. carb cycling, etc.), but have pretty much stuck with portion control and quality foods (i.e. good carbs vs. bad carbs).

What I am essentially trying to say is (as you elluded to), man it is tough to get those last 5-10 % of stuborn fat off my body.
    For those of you reading this post, this was our prior exchange.......

Hey Skip, I have been lifting seriously since March, 2012. I have completed Kris Gethin's 12 week-trainer once, and I am currently doing it again. My complaint is that I have been really trying to get a 6 pack, but it has continued to elude me. I have been very regimented with my meals: the meals listed on his 12 week program, but still have not seen break-through in my midsection. Although I have certainly cut down bf and weight, while gaining muscle size in my chest, back, arms, and legs, I am still wondering how to tweak either my diet (the one listed on the KG program), or the cardio to get that elusive 6 pack.

P.S. I know the easy answer is "ask Kris, it is his program", but he doesn't accept PM's and rarely ever posts reponses on his body-group. I am really just an avid BB looking for an expert's advice on best methodology, regardless of one's professional disposition.
    Hi atw1552....

I'd be happy to help you.

When someone first starts training, it is very important that they become conscious--or even more conscious--of their eating habits.

Being regimented with your meals and making good food choices like you've been is an awesome first step. Congratulations. As you've noticed, taking these steps has helped you lose weight, lose body fat, while gaining muscle.

To get to the next level and finally see those abs, you are going to need to be a little more sophisticated in your approach, do what you've been doing a longer period of time, or more than likely, a combination of both of those strategies.

Do you know exactly how many calories you are eating on a daily basis (besides just eating the food he outlined for you)?

Are you pretty consistent at eating about those same number of calories on a daily basis?

Those are the steps that I would take first--and do that for 3 months straight. Then, you'll get everything out of that approach. Of course, you can make some deviations but generally stay consistent doing that.

When it comes to losing the "tougher" body fat and finally seeing those abs, it all comes down to how many calories you eat versus how many you burn eat day--and how long you follow through. You must also understand that are, in most cases, will be the last place the fat comes off.

There's not a whole lot of "magic" for you at this point other than that.

One mistake that many people make in your position is that they eat the "right" foods--but they ultimate simply eat too many calories.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    From what you've described, it seems to me like you are simply not eating ENOUGH food.

But, how would I ever know that? You don't count calories so you have no idea how many you are eating.

I can make this a lot easier on the both of us--and help you get onto the next challenge ahead of you--if I have some idea of how many calories you were eating each day.

1,000? 1,500? 2,000? 3,000?

Kris can get away with that--because he's been doing this a long time. I'm almost certain he did at some point during his journey. That practical experience gives him the perspective to adjust his food intake by instinct. If he never did, TIME and IMPLEMENTATION helped him figure it all out.

You being new to all of this, you don't have that luxury and experience to make those kinds of decisions. Not yet.

Don't get too caught up in your carb intake at this point. That will come later. Don't get too caught up in how many meals you are eating and how far apart you spread them. That will come later.

You need to have some idea how many calories you are eating each day and the basic macronutrient content. You won't need to worry about this in great detail forever but you will need to at least for a short period of time.

You can't skip ahead to Kris' level until you put in your time and work.

Losing the last "10%" isn't a challenging as you might think once you understand how this all works. 5%? maybe. But there is a HUGE difference between the two numbers.

Train Hard. Think Big.

atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atw1552 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Skip, I listened to your Mass Machine podcast on the "Bulking & Cutting Challenge". I never heard of that program before. Are you going to be doing the same challenge next year?
    "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"
    John Quincy Adams

Hey Skip, I listened to your Mass Machine podcast on the "Bulking & Cutting Challenge". I never heard of that program before. Are you going to be doing the same challenge next year?
    I have something even BETTER planned this year.

The great news is you can watch over 100 videos from the Mass Machine Bulking and Cutting Program Challenge on YouTube by clicking here.

There are also 24 different podcast that were presented on a weekly basis. Go through this thread here on Bodybuilding.com to download, save, and listen to all of them.

Enjoy!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Click here to order Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

From what you've described, it seems to me like you are simply not eating ENOUGH food.

But, how would I ever know that? You don't count calories so you have no idea how many you are eating.

I can make this a lot easier on the both of us--and help you get onto the next challenge ahead of you--if I have some idea of how many calories you were eating each day.

Kris can get away with that--because he's been doing this a long time. I'm almost certain he did at some point during his journey. That practical experience gives him the perspective to adjust his food intake by instinct. If he never did, TIME and IMPLEMENTATION helped him figure it all out.

You being new to all of this, you don't have that luxury and experience to make those kinds of decisions. Not yet.

Don't get too caught up in your carb intake at this point. That will come later. Don't get too caught up in how many meals you are eating and how far apart you spread them. That will come later.

You need to have some idea how many calories you are eating each day and the basic macronutrient content. You won't need to worry about this in great detail forever but you will need to at least for a short period of time.

Losing the last "10%" isn't a challenging as you might think once you understand how this all works. 5%? maybe. But there is a HUGE difference between the two numbers.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    MY (ATW1552) RESPONSE: It sounds alot like going to the Doctor. Your diagnosis is really dependent on the available data to make a diagnosis. Point taken and heavily considered; as a new BB, the step I need to take is to count, document and log my food intake down to the calorie if I want to see those hard earned results. I will start documenting ASAP and come back with a log in a week.
    John Quincy Adams

MY (ATW1552) RESPONSE: It sounds alot like going to the Doctor. Your diagnosis is really dependent on the available data to make a diagnosis. Point taken and heavily considered; as a new BB, the step I need to take is to count, document and log my food intake down to the calorie if I want to see those hard earned results. I will start documenting ASAP and come back with a log in a week.
    Hey ATW1552.....

Check out this video:

How Important Is Counting Your Calories When You Are Striving To Maximize Your Bodybuilding Efforts?

Do you really need to weigh your food and count your calories if you want to build an awesome body? In this video, Skip La Cour answers this question.

Train Hard. Think Big.

[QUOTE=skiplacour;971279163]Hey ATW1552.....

Wow, you made that video in response to my questions insanely quick, lol (j/k I'm not that ego-centric). Seriously, it seems as though you have answered that question just a "few" times. Amazing video, and it really hit me between the eyes.

I think it will help me get rid of that "guessing game" going on in my mind.
    Last edited by atw1552; 10-29-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Further thought
    John Quincy Adams

Originally Posted by Elmodiferro4 View Post
    Thanks for the fast answer!
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I ment to say a strict diet and a strict work out that suits Ectomorph people like me as best as possible with the goal of gaining muscle and fat mass, since I'm willing to give 100% of myself, I have no problems at all following something hard where motivation and determination is needed.
    I'm simply afraid of wasting time at the gym doing the wrong exercises and not eating the right amount or the right things I've to.
    Hi Elmodiferro4.....

ALWAYS strive to find the most EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT strategies possible!

That an awesome goal to shoot for.....

BUT......

You must realize that NO ONE--not me or any other bodybuilding and fitness expert or "guru" on this planet--has ever used ONLY the most effective and efficient strategies during their journey. NO ONE.

So, don't get too caught in "wasting your time at the gym doing the wrong exercises and not eating the right amount or right things." That's part of the process for ALL OF US!

There's this big push I've noticed toward only using the very best, bar none "optimal" strategies. As you have already probably already discovered, everyone and their mother argues over what are actually the "optimal" strategies. Some experts claim that science and research alone dictate the "right" answers--yet different experts continually argue among themselves as to which science and research is the "right" science and research.

If you waited for everyone to fully agree before you got going, you'd NEVER get going.

I think it's a better idea to strive for HIGHLY EFFECTIVE strategies--and then work your way up to figuring out what "optimal."

It will give you more room to grow, feel more comfortable, and get you going in the right direction.

RESULTS are what matter most.

Look, if you just "lift heavy things" and just "eat food" you are going to make some progress, right? Relax and enjoy the up, downs, and all arounds of this exciting journey--without the need to be "perfect."

With enough determination and time, you'll eventually get there.

And, as I close this post out, I want to re-emphasis.......

ALWAYS strive to find the most EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT strategies possible!

Train Hard. Think Big.

Wow, you made that video in response to my questions insanely quick, lol (j/k I'm not that ego-centric). Seriously, it seems as though you have answered that question just a "few" times. Amazing video, and it really hit me between the eyes.

I think it will help me get rid of that "guessing game" going on in my mind.
    I've been around the block once or twice......or a thousand times. LOL

Here's a question I get asked all the time......

"Wow! I can but this huge bottle of 'Whey Protein' for a really cheap price! What's 'the catch'"????

I'm actually very surprise how many people don't know what going on in this situation. (Hint: It's a whey protein BLEND--not 100% Whey Protein Isolate.)

Watch this video:

Skip La Cour talks about how whey protein will help your bodybuilding and training efforts and why Mass Machine Nutrition's MM25 100% Whey Protein Isolate is the best on the market.

Click Here to order Mass Machine Nutrition's MM25 Whey Protein on Bodybuilding.com

Skip,

This might be a different kind of question but here goes, If you had to judge a bodybuilding competition, using your own personal opinion as the only criteria, who would be in your top 10 (or any number you like)? Just curious as to your thoughts on the matter. (I have always been impressed with the size of a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, but feel that the physique of a Frank Zane or someone like that was just as impressive, if not more.

Skip,

This might be a different kind of question but here goes, If you had to judge a bodybuilding competition, using your own personal opinion as the only criteria, who would be in your top 10 (or any number you like)? Just curious as to your thoughts on the matter. (I have always been impressed with the size of a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, but feel that the physique of a Frank Zane or someone like that was just as impressive, if not more.
    Hi rdcopps....

Until you asked this question, I never realized that I am not a hardcore competitive bodybuilding fan. I am more interested in who the bodybuilders are as people, their training, and how they conduct their business.

With that being said, here are my 10 favorite PHYSIQUES (in no particular order):

Shawn Ray
    Kevin Levrone
    Flex Wheeler
    Lee Labrada
    Dorian Yates
    Ronnie Coleman

I'm pausing here because I am drawing a blank...

Arnold
    Kai Greene

Drawing another blank.....

Mike Quinn's back in the day when I first started training....but I think that's because I thought he was cool.
    Gunter Schlierkamp

Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000) Amoney1986 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi rdcopps....

Until you asked this question, I never realized that I am not a hardcore competitive bodybuilding fan. I am more interested in who the bodybuilders are as people, their training, and how they conduct their business.

With that being said, here are my 10 favorite PHYSIQUES (in no particular order):

Shawn Ray
    Kevin Levrone
    Flex Wheeler
    Lee Labrada
    Dorian Yates
    Ronnie Coleman

Arnold
    Kai Greene

Mike Quinn's back in the day when I first started training....but I think that's because I thought he was cool.
    Gunter Schlierkamp
    Awesome list! Glad you have Gunter on there he is big motivation for me being a taller bodybuilder.
    Your body is your most prized possession.

Hi rdcopps....

Shawn Ray
    Kevin Levrone
    Flex Wheeler
    Lee Labrada
    Dorian Yates
    Ronnie Coleman

Arnold
    Kai Greene

Gunter Schlierkamp
    Definitely some of the greats on that list. Thanks for the response.

Hey Skip, I logged my meals the last two days, and can say with confidence that I am very consistent within those meal plans out of a 7 day week. I e-mailed you to your BB.com e-mail address (e-mail this user). I used My-Calorie-Counter.com, so it would probably be easier to e-mail you, unless you want me to copy/paste it in here for educational purposes for others.
    John Quincy Adams

Hey Skip, I logged my meals the last two days, and can say with confidence that I am very consistent within those meal plans out of a 7 day week. I e-mailed you to your BB.com e-mail address (e-mail this user). I used My-Calorie-Counter.com, so it would probably be easier to e-mail you, unless you want me to copy/paste it in here for educational purposes for others.
    I read that you are eating 2600-2750 calories.

You should also know the macronutrient (protein, carbohydrates, and fats) breakdown of what you are eating.

Good work. Now, it's all about you being very consistent with that for at least four weeks.

After doing so, you'll have a lot more understanding how this all with work best for you.

Train Hard. Think Big.

1999 NPC Team Universe

Closed Thread
Page 252 of 364 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 ... LastLast