Closed Thread
Page 101 of 364 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 10915
    I am a MASS MACHINE! skiplacour's Avatar
    skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi WrathofWhitey....

You need to be your own man who makes his own decisions. You must do that with your bodybuilding and training efforts--as well as in all areas of your life.

No one is going to as concerned about your success and failure as much as you are. Certainly not any nameless, faceless people on the interent who have absolutely nothing to gain or lose if you succeed or fail. Without any personal investment or anything at stake, you'll always need to consider the source.

People are more than likely going to give you advice that has worked for them based on their own personal experiences; level of experience; level of knowledge and understanding; their goals; their expectations; and what they are willing to do as far as lifestyle adjustment to achieve their goals (and what they are NOT willing to do).

Those conditions may or may not be the same yours. Again, you always need to evaluate the source of the information you are considering to use.

As far as your training partner is concerned: Even at this stage of your bodybuilding and training journey, you already know that you should train your legs every week. You need to step up, influence, persuade, and convince him to train the way you think is best. You could train alone. You could find another partner. You could just continue training his way. That's a decision YOU need to make.

Just because you have a training partner does NOT necessarily mean that the training partner with take your efforts to a higher level. A training partner may not have the same goals as you and, because of that, may not be as committed as you. You could possibly develop "average" standards in the way you think and do things that might cripple your efforts for years into the future.

When it comes to building muscle, this is what you need to do....plain and simply:

1. Overload the targeted muscle group with weight heavy enough to push it past what it was previously capable of doing every workout (or, as close to that as humanly possible).

2. Let that muscle group adequately rest and recuperate before you blast it again.

3. Support the muscle growth, repair, and recovery process with outstanding and consistent eating habits 24/7/365 (or, as close to that as humanly possible depending on your goals and how badly you want to achieve them).

4. Do #1 through #3 on a consistent basis.

5. Do #1 through #4 for an extended period of time.(How long with vary depending on the person and how effectively he executes #1 through #4).

These are the FUNDAMENTALS to success. They will influence 90% of your success or failure. Don't get the extra "10% fancy smancy" strategies confused. They play their part--but ONLY after the FUNDAMENTALS have been executed.

Here's your assignment:

Make a DECISION. Decide on a training program that you BELIEVE IN (that's extremely important!). Stick to that plan for 3 months. You'll see that time will fly by quickly. Stick to that plan in good times--and in bad times; when you feel it is working--and when you don't. Put your head down and "block out" any suggestions anyone else makes for three months. Commit to you plan and be consistent with it, Work on MASTERING that plan any figuring out every single nuance that will make it work. You come out the other side with a unbelievable amount of hard-earn knowledge and experience that you won't get from anywhere or anyone else.

Make another DECISION. Decide on an eating plan that you BELIEVE IN (that's extremely important!). Stick to that plan for 3 months. You'll see that time will fly by quickly. Stick to that plan in good times--and in bad times; when you feel it is working--and when you don't. Put your head down and "block out" any suggestions anyone else makes for three months. Commit to you plan and be consistent with it, Work on MASTERING that plan any figuring out every single nuance that will make it work. You come out the other side with a unbelievable amount of hard-earn knowledge and experience that you won't get from anywhere or anyone else.

If you want to learn what I recommend, go to SkipLaCour.com.

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 11-10-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Skip, as promised I'm posting my Barbell Overhead Press videos. I don't need any help anymore, Mass Machine Training just helped me BLAST through that plateau. I actually INCREASED my working weight by 10 pounds! The first video is my 2nd set, performed with 105 lbs. The second video is my 3rd set, performed with 115 lbs.

The gains I've made in just 2 weeks are incredible. I've also applied some of your life principles to quitting a 13 year smoking habit. I once again thank you.

P.S. I dislike Good Mornings, but I'll stick with them for another 6 weeks to make sure Routine #1 of Mass Machine Training gets the full dedication it deserves.
    Check out my blog about bodybuilding, lifestyle, and mental approaches to training!

http://chrisbodybuilding.blogspot.com/

My training journal is below. MASS MACHINE TRAINING FOR THE GAINS:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139336403

skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skiplacour is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cweaver8518 View Post
    Skip, as promised I'm posting my Barbell Overhead Press videos. I don't need any help anymore, Mass Machine Training just helped me BLAST through that plateau. I actually INCREASED my working weight by 10 pounds! The first video is my 2nd set, performed with 105 lbs. The second video is my 3rd set, performed with 115 lbs.

Way to follow through, cweaver8518! I am thoroughly impressed.

1. If you can do 115 pounds on the third set set, then you need to do that on the first and second one too. Take notes and don't make that mistake again.

2. Slow down the movement you did in that first video. Control the negative. A "1-2 count" on the way down--and an explosive "1 count" on the way up.

3. You would be able to increase your weight by about 30% immediately if you had a training partner to help lift that weigh off--and guide it back onto the rack. That's too much to think about and too much to worry about doing it yourself.

4. You need to move that seat in and closer to the bar about "2 holes." All you need to do is clear the rack. You won't have to "wobble" on the way out--or fear getting the bar back onto the rack after you've exhausted yourself during the set.

5. You need to establish a rock-solid, firm base before you do ANY exercise. When you sit down, start from the ground up. You immediately looked up without much concern for your strong base. That's where everything starts.

Plant your feet firmly on the ground--and not on those stirrup bars. Tighten, raise, and lock your lower back. Put your head up, your shoulders back, and your chest up. Now, you're ready to grab the bar with power and focus.

6. Lift your chin up so the bar can clear your face more easily--and let that bar get as close to your face on the way up and the way down. It will bring the bar one inch or so closer to going over your body (and not as in front so much) and the tension will go more onto your shoulders. You'll feel the tension in your shoulders more making that slight one inch adjustment.

The gains I've made in just 2 weeks are incredible. I've also applied some of your life principles to quitting a 13 year smoking habit. I once again thank you.
    Congratulations! You made the decision and did the work though.

P.S. I dislike Good Mornings, but I'll stick with them for another 6 weeks to make sure Routine #1 of Mass Machine Training gets the full dedication it deserves.
    Don't even tell yourself that you "dislike" them. Learn to LOVE them! LOL

Train Hard. Think Big.

Put Your Body and MIND In PERFECT Workout Conditions EVERY SESSION!

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine MM250 Pre-Workout

Click here to watch VIDEO and learn how you can get a
    FREE ONE-ON-ONE COACHING SESSION with Skip La Cour when you order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition "Maximum Mass Pack"
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today.
    Read my personal story "I Kept This A Secret From You My Entire Natural Bodybuilding Career" ===> www.skiplacour.com/is-this-all-there-is

Visit Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition store on Bodybuilding.com - Supreme. Clean. Mass Machine Nutrition. ===> www.SLtips.com/3

WrathofWhitey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, Skip! You just helped me more than I could have imagined and I really appreciate it. I'll digest what you've said over the weekend and try to find a workout routine that I believe in. With that being said is it possible for you to perhaps help me decide on one? I'm a complete noob when it comes to weight lifting and the only things I know is what I've researched on the web. When you say training program I believe in do you mean like a 3 day split (I automatically refer to this one because it would honestly be the most convenient for me) with my own laid out exercises or finding one already laid out that I think will work?

I'm already on my way to success on steps #2 + 3 and I feel like I'm doing #1 as well as I (being a noobie) can imagine (I think? lol). I've definitely laid out my eating plan and have stuck with it for a couple weeks now and there's no doubt in my mind I'll make it to your 3 month deadline. However, like I just mentioned the training schedule is what I'm really having trouble deciding on. I suppose I'll start researching some well laid out ones until I hear back from you and hopefully I can find a couple that appeal to me for this upcoming week's training. Many thanks again, Skip!

P.S. Congrats cweaver8518 on kicking the habit! I'm currently in the process of building up some willpower for a try at quitting myself. I'm going to have to check out Skip's life principles... hopefully they can motivate me like they did you.

cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cweaver8518 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skiplacour View Post
    Way to follow through, cweaver8518! I am thoroughly impressed.

1. If you can do 115 pounds on the third set set, then you need to do that on the first and second one too. Take notes and don't make that mistake again.

2. Slow down the movement you did in that first video. Control the negative. A "1-2 count" on the way down--and an explosive "1 count" on the way up.

3. You would be able to increase your weight by about 30% immediately if you had a training partner to help lift that weigh off--and guide it back onto the rack. That's too much to think about and too much to worry about doing it yourself.

4. You need to move that seat in and closer to the bar about "2 holes." All you need to do is clear the rack. You won't have to "wobble" on the way out--or fear getting the bar back onto the rack after you've exhausted yourself during the set.

5. You need to establish a rock-solid, firm base before you do ANY exercise. When you sit down, start from the ground up. You immediately looked up without much concern for your strong base. That's where everything starts.

Plant your feet firmly on the ground--and not on those stirrup bars. Tighten, raise, and lock your lower back. Put your head up, your shoulders back, and your chest up. Now, you're ready to grab the bar with power and focus.

6. Lift your chin up so the bar can clear your face more easily--and let that bar get as close to your face on the way up and the way down. It will bring the bar one inch or so closer to going over your body (and not as in front so much) and the tension will go more onto your shoulders. You'll feel the tension in your shoulders more making that slight one inch adjustment.

1. I was at a "plateau" for awhile with 105 lbs, so I didn't think the second set was going to be as easy as it was. 115 will be the working weight next week on this exercise.

2. I was visualizing 6 reps on the second set, so I feel like I was rushing through the reps. I certainly didn't feel that way on the second set, but looking at the video, you're definitely right. Will fix it next week.

3. I work 2nd shift(2pm-10pm) and finding a workout partner who has the same goals, wants to do the same routine, is willing to make the sacrifice of being awake that early to meet me there while still working 2nd shift isn't practical. I find that a training partner bogs me down more than they help me. When I used to work a regular shift, all a training partner ever did was hold back my intensity. If I run into someone who has the same goals, ambition, drive, and intensity as me, or who can at least keep up with me, I'll take them in. I did listen to the podcast about advice on training partners that you put out, but my specific conditions just don't allow a steady training partner for me.

I'll take your advice and see if I can grab some random guys to help me unrack and rerack the weight next week though.

4. That's as far as the seat goes back, unfortunately. Would a standing Overhead Press be more effective? i.e. using a Power Rack

5. You know, I'm not sure why I put my feet on the stirrup bars. That was an anomaly, I don't normally do that. Lack of focus I suppose, or too much focus. I'll focus on my base better next time.

6. I'll definitely do that. Will take videos next Wednesday to see how much I've absorbed.

Side note on Good Mornings: that's about the only way I got through them today. I imagined that I loved them, then hammered out the 2 sets. My "dislike" of them comes in the fact that they're a new lower back exercise to my body, and I'm just not quite used to them yet. I'm not "breaking a sweat" on them yet, due to making sure I'm performing the exercise with good-but-not-perfect-form. Don't want to injure myself, but at the same time I am definitely feeling the lower back muscles targetted and overloaded
    Check out my blog about bodybuilding, lifestyle, and mental approaches to training!

http://chrisbodybuilding.blogspot.com/

My training journal is below. MASS MACHINE TRAINING FOR THE GAINS:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139336403

Originally Posted by WrathofWhitey View Post
    Thanks, Skip! You just helped me more than I could have imagined and I really appreciate it. I'll digest what you've said over the weekend and try to find a workout routine that I believe in. With that being said is it possible for you to perhaps help me decide on one? I'm a complete noob when it comes to weight lifting and the only things I know is what I've researched on the web. When you say training program I believe in do you mean like a 3 day split (I automatically refer to this one because it would honestly be the most convenient for me) with my own laid out exercises or finding one already laid out that I think will work?

I'm already on my way to success on steps #2 + 3 and I feel like I'm doing #1 as well as I (being a noobie) can imagine (I think? lol). I've definitely laid out my eating plan and have stuck with it for a couple weeks now and there's no doubt in my mind I'll make it to your 3 month deadline. However, like I just mentioned the training schedule is what I'm really having trouble deciding on. I suppose I'll start researching some well laid out ones until I hear back from you and hopefully I can find a couple that appeal to me for this upcoming week's training. Many thanks again, Skip!

P.S. Congrats cweaver8518 on kicking the habit! I'm currently in the process of building up some willpower for a try at quitting myself. I'm going to have to check out Skip's life principles... hopefully they can motivate me like they did you.
    I'm glad I was helpful.

I have a better, more constructive way to devise a routine for you. This will get you one step closer to long term understanding and success.

With the knowledge you have right now, YOU construct a 3-day split training routine.

Then, I'll tweak it for you.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Skip, I'm a big fan. What body part was the hardest for you to bring up and how did you alter your training to make it happen? Also, are you a proponent of the bulk/cut cycle approach or do you prefer the lean gains method?
    David

1. I was at a "plateau" for awhile with 105 lbs, so I didn't think the second set was going to be as easy as it was. 115 will be the working weight next week on this exercise.
    isn't it amazing how much you "turn on" when the video is rolling? Trust that from someone who has the camera rolling for hours while training.

2. I was visualizing 6 reps on the second set, so I feel like I was rushing through the reps. I certainly didn't feel that way on the second set, but looking at the video, you're definitely right. Will fix it next week.
    Remember that the rep range is 4 to 6. That means it is just as much of a "victory" to get 4 at a heavier weight as it is to get 6 at a lighter weight.

This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Always think:

"4--and THEN more"

That way, you won't compromise the first 4 in order to reach 6--even when you don't realize you are doing so.

3. I work 2nd shift(2pm-10pm) and finding a workout partner who has the same goals, wants to do the same routine, is willing to make the sacrifice of being awake that early to meet me there while still working 2nd shift isn't practical. I find that a training partner bogs me down more than they help me. When I used to work a regular shift, all a training partner ever did was hold back my intensity. If I run into someone who has the same goals, ambition, drive, and intensity as me, or who can at least keep up with me, I'll take them in. I did listen to the podcast about advice on training partners that you put out, but my specific conditions just don't allow a steady training partner for me.
    Maybe get that "one person" you can trust with a lift off just with those certain few exercises.

I'll take your advice and see if I can grab some random guys to help me unrack and rerack the weight next week though.
    Might be worth it.

4. That's as far as the seat goes back, unfortunately. Would a standing Overhead Press be more effective? i.e. using a Power Rack
    No, stay with what you are doing.

5. You know, I'm not sure why I put my feet on the stirrup bars. That was an anomaly, I don't normally do that. Lack of focus I suppose, or too much focus. I'll focus on my base better next time.
    There are a lot of things to think about until you get used to setting up the camera at the right angle and then performing the set, huh? LOL

6. I'll definitely do that. Will take videos next Wednesday to see how much I've absorbed.
    I look forward to them.

Maybe you'll be the leader and a lot of people will start doing posting their videos here for the free expert coaching.

The internet is an awesome thing, isn't it?

Side note on Good Mornings: that's about the only way I got through them today. I imagined that I loved them, then hammered out the 2 sets. My "dislike" of them comes in the fact that they're a new lower back exercise to my body, and I'm just not quite used to them yet. I'm not "breaking a sweat" on them yet, due to making sure I'm performing the exercise with good-but-not-perfect-form. Don't want to injure myself, but at the same time I am definitely feeling the lower back muscles targetted and overloaded
    You'll get physically and mentally better in time--especially when you demand yourself to get better every time.

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Skip, I'm a big fan. What body part was the hardest for you to bring up and how did you alter your training to make it happen?
    The biggest lesson that I learned about weak body parts is when you are lean enough, you can really see how developed those body parts really are and how "big" they are. Armed with that information, it becomes just a matter of hitting that targeted muscle group every session with increasing effective mind-muscle connection.

I believe the "best" eating plan a person can follow is the one he, himself, BELIEVES IN, follows through with on a consistent basis, and does over an extended period of time.

Any successful eating plan is successful because of the certain few universal, basic FUNDAMENTALS they all contain--not the 5% or 10% details that make them "special, unique, or different".

I'm glad I was helpful.

I have a better, more constructive way to devise a routine for you. This will get you one step closer to long term understanding and success.

With the knowledge you have right now, YOU construct a 3-day split training routine.

Then, I'll tweak it for you.

I usually train 45 minutes to an hour M/W/F and it seems like a good intense pace so I'm going to go ahead and say that that portion is fine? For the life of me I can't remember how many sets / reps I do with all these exercises but will start keeping a log when I begin this training regiment.

Ok, so.. On Mondays I'll work on chest, triceps and shoulders?
    Bench Press (3 sets of 95 for 8-10 reps)
    Military Press ?
    Dips (3 sets of 10)
    Close Grip Press (3 sets of 85 8-10 reps)
    Incline DB Military press thingy (sorry I'm not sure of the exact names for some of these lol..)

Wednesday will be Biceps and Back.
    Standing Curls (3 sets of 50 8-10 reps)
    Preacher Curls (3 sets of 40 8-10 reps)
    Pullups (or should I do chin-ups?) (3 sets for 8-10)
    Standing Bent-over Rows (Bar + 40lbs 3 sets of 8-10)
    DB Curls (3 sets of 8-10 with 25lb DBs)

Friday will be Lower Body
    Squats ?
    Sit-Down Calf Raises (I just did a few of these with 70 lbs on it for like 10-15 reps)
    Deadlift? (I've read this works out a lot of diff muscles so not sure which day to do them really)

I'm very... very weak lower body and my knowledge of workouts for this section is slim. I'd love some suggestions if possible! Also.. I'm not sure how many sets / reps I need to be doing for most of these. The past couple weeks we've been doing 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps however I'm not sure if that's efficient for bulking up or toning.. I'm also not sure if I should be doing so much isolation or focus on more compound exercises like wednesday, for example, 3 different bicep curls seems kinda overkill logic wise but I have no idea if that's normal or what? Also, there's a few machine exercises I didn't mention that we've been doing but I have no idea what the names are.. I think some are for Lats or back but.. I honestly have no idea. : /

I know this is a pretty fail attempt at making a training routine... hopefully you can understand why I need your help so bad. Thanks so much, Skip!

Edit: Sorry, one more Question! I can't seem to find a consistent answer on how long of breaks to take between reps. I've been taking about 30 seconds is that fine for this range + weight?
    Last edited by WrathofWhitey; 11-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fgenetics15 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fgenetics15....

I am a big believer that the FUNDAMENTALS executed over an extended period of time is what leads to results.

That goes for the fundamental in training. That goes for the fundamentals in nutrition. That goes for the fundamental in lifestyle/organization. And, most importantly, putting them altogether in a congruent, flowing manner.

I'm not saying that I can't see any value in that approach, I just firmly believe there are simpler and just as effective strategies that will produce the results you are after.

Oftentimes, simple and effective fundamentals are what organizes your actions and thoughts in ways that allow you to follow through and ultimately succeed.

I'm not sure what level your of dedication, follow through, and consistency are at this stage of your journey.

I would think you must be "nails" when it comes to the basics in training and the basics in eating to even consider an eating strategy like that.

Train hard. Think Big.
    I understand what you mean about fundamentals and simplicity is often the best road.

It was just something that I thought about and just began to incorporate.

I appreciate the quick/honest answers!

I usually train 45 minutes to an hour M/W/F and it seems like a good intense pace so I'm going to go ahead and say that that portion is fine?
    Okay, WrathofWhitey....Here we go.

And, you DO NOT need anyone else's opinion on this. Just do as I am taking the time out to outline for you. If you can, take the "leap of faith" and just trust that I know what I'm talking about. The more people you talk to, the more opinions you'll get.

You working for RESULTS--not public approval like a politician, right?

What you need is STRUCTURE more than anything else.

Work out for one hour very session. You'll need that entire hour to work your entire body in just three training sessions each week.

Do NOT train for more than one hour. Block yourself in. Create a DEADLINE. Deadlines and limits are extremely important to a person's concentration, focus, efficiency, and productivity.

I don't know exactly what you mean by a "good intense pace."

Let me make this clear: If you are striving to build muscle, there no need to rush around from set to set. Rest as much time as you need to lift as much weight as you can during the next set--without losing your focus.

Moving from set to set and exercise to exercise quickly is good for overall health and fitness....maybe for a performance athlete....but it doesn't help you build more muscle.

Overloading the targeted muscle with more weight (or more reps with more weight) than that muscle has ever lifted before is what builds muscle. You won't be able to do that at optimal levels if you are even slightly winded.

Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. Again, rest as much time as you need to lift as much weight as you can during the next set--without losing your focus.

For the life of me I can't remember how many sets / reps I do with all these exercises but will start keeping a log when I begin this training regiment.
    That's fine.

Ok, so.. On Mondays I'll work on chest, triceps and shoulders?
    Bench Press (3 sets of 95 for 8-10 reps)
    Military Press ?
    Dips (3 sets of 10)
    Close Grip Press (3 sets of 85 8-10 reps)
    Incline DB Military press thingy (sorry I'm not sure of the exact names for some of these lol..)
    How about this:

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Chest

Bench Press (warm up you chest sufficiently with a bout 4 or 5 warm up sets) - 2 heavy sets - 6 to 8 reps (go straight to the heaviest weight you can do - no "Pyramiding")

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (no need to do any warm up sets) - 2 heavy sets - 6 to 8 reps

Shoulders

Military Press - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Dumbbell Lateral Raises - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Triceps

Cable Pushdowns - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Lying Triceps Extensions - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Wednesday will be Biceps and Back.
    Standing Curls (3 sets of 50 8-10 reps)
    Preacher Curls (3 sets of 40 8-10 reps)
    Pullups (or should I do chin-ups?) (3 sets for 8-10)
    Standing Bent-over Rows (Bar + 40lbs 3 sets of 8-10)
    DB Curls (3 sets of 8-10 with 25lb DBs)
    Back, Biceps, Abs

Back

Barbell Rows - (warm up you back sufficiently with a bout 4 or 5 warm up sets) - 2 heavy sets - 6 to 8 reps (go straight to the heaviest weight you can do - no "Pyramiding")

Lat Pulldowns - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Cable Rows (V-bar) - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Biceps

Barbell Curls - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Alternating Dumbbell Curls - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Abs

Cable Crunches - 2 sets - 8 to 10 reps

Weight Crunches - 2 sets - 8 to 10 reps

Friday will be Lower Body
    Squats ?
    Sit-Down Calf Raises (I just did a few of these with 70 lbs on it for like 10-15 reps)
    Deadlift? (I've read this works out a lot of diff muscles so not sure which day to do them really)
    Legs and Calves

Legs

Squats - (warm up you legs sufficiently with a bout 4 or 5 warm up sets) - 3 heavy sets - 6 to 8 reps (go straight to the heaviest weight you can do - no "Pyramiding")

Leg Press - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Lying Leg Curls - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Calves

Seated Calf Raises - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

Standing Calf Raises - 2 sets - 6 to 8 reps

I'm very... very weak lower body and my knowledge of workouts for this section is slim.
    It's just "lifting weight" and "hittin' the target muscle groups"--not nuclear science.

I'd love some suggestions if possible! Also.. I'm not sure how many sets / reps I need to be doing for most of these.
    I say, you do. No question.

The past couple weeks we've been doing 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps however I'm not sure if that's efficient for bulking up or toning..
    I know you hear this all the time but there no such thing as weight training that "bulks" or "cuts". Your DIET does that.

Weight training is to overload the muscle to stimulate growth.

I'm also not sure if I should be doing so much isolation or focus on more compound exercises like wednesday, for example, 3 different bicep curls seems kinda overkill logic wise but I have no idea if that's normal or what? Also, there's a few machine exercises I didn't mention that we've been doing but I have no idea what the names are.. I think some are for Lats or back but.. I honestly have no idea. : /
    Just do what's listed. You can learn more from experience and time. One step at a time right now. Don't get overwhelmed with all of the details.

I know this is a pretty fail attempt at making a training routine... hopefully you can understand why I need your help so bad. Thanks so much, Skip!
    You got it. Now, don't squander this advice and time I've given you.

Edit: Sorry, one more Question! I can't seem to find a consistent answer on how long of breaks to take between reps. I've been taking about 30 seconds is that fine for this range + weight?
    I have clarified this for you above.

Train Hard. Think Big.

itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi, i'm trying to research as much as i can, get a routine and eating program before i begin next month. i've been recommended the starting strength program, and for eating, i'll just eat what my parents cook for dinner, but will stay away from fast food as i already do.

my goal is to bulk, and i've found a moderate gym that i could train in ( college campus gym ) .

I believe i lifted dumbbells incorrectly, causing the mid section between my collarbone ( the upper part of the midline of the chest) to feel shock whenever i reach a far length, or for example "bump " a volleyball. How should I treat this injury? ( if you've experienced this type of injury before )

Also, I've bought opti-men (a multi) and o.n's 100% whey. how should i incorporate that into my daily diet?
    At the end of workouts, is cardio recommended?
    How long did it take you to learn the basics of weight lifting ?

thanks for your help. you're an inspiration.

Originally Posted by itsderpxd View Post
    hi, i'm trying to research as much as i can, get a routine and eating program before i begin next month. i've been recommended the starting strength program, and for eating, i'll just eat what my parents cook for dinner, but will stay away from fast food as i already do.

my goal is to bulk, and i've found a moderate gym that i could train in ( college campus gym ) .

I believe i lifted dumbbells incorrectly, causing the mid section between my collarbone ( the upper part of the midline of the chest) to feel shock whenever i reach a far length, or for example "bump " a volleyball. How should I treat this injury? ( if you've experienced this type of injury before )

Also, I've bought opti-men (a multi) and o.n's 100% whey. how should i incorporate that into my daily diet?
    At the end of workouts, is cardio recommended?
    How long did it take you to learn the basics of weight lifting ?

thanks for your help. you're an inspiration.
    Hi itsderpxd...

You just need to jump in there in getting started. Don't over-think things--or you'll never get going.

I had a person who knew what they were doing and he recruited me to be his training partner.

That really helped.

Hopefully, there are some tips I can give that will help you.

Take a look at these "Expert Advice for Beginners" tips I give:

Expert Advice for Beginners

VIDEO - Introduction to Bodybuilding

VIDEO - Body Transformation Tips

VIDEO - Pumping Iron for Beginners

VIDEO - What Do Male Bodybuilders Eat?

VIDEO - How to Get Started

VIDEO - How to Build Muscle Mass

VIDEO - Basic Back Workout

PODCAST - How to Choose and Use a Mentor to Get You to the Next Level

How beginners can develop more CERTAINTY and CONFIDENCE in what they are doing

VIDEO -Determining Which Strategies Work: Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence Video Series

VIDEO - Tips to Remember When Getting Advice: Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence Video Series

Balance in Life and Striving for Greatness: Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence Video Series

Dealing With "Plateaus" with Your Progress: Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence Video Series

Evaluating Your Physique and Making Decisions: Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence Video Series

How This "Developing UNSHAKABLE Certainty & Confidence" Video Series Will Help You

Training tips for beginners

How many sets per exercise should a beginner do?

Specific and step-by-step instructions for beginners on how to create an effective nutrition plan (follow the thread)

================================================== =====

Then, download and study this PDF file with some great Q & As. Just click the ones that, at this level, are things you need to know:

Download a FREE pdf file of a conveniently categorized list of
    hot links of the "Best Questions Answered in this Skip La Cour"
    Bodybuilding.com Forum
    thread by clicking here

12 Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding and Training Motivational Podcasts

Download and listen to these podcasts in the gym or in your downtime and take your efforts to a higher level.

Click Here

ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Please help me understad things. My chest is soft an barely has any muscle. I've been working on it for 8 months and it's about an inch bigger than when I started. What does a human hav to do to see chest results? I'm 15 and Im begging for help on what I née to do. My chest workout conssts of machine flys, flat and incline db bp, db flies, and flat bp. Do I have to add to it or what? I just want a decent chest, not a soft Tiby one. Please message me back a response as I probably won't remember to check back

Originally Posted by ItsMyTime248 View Post
    Please help me understad things. My chest is soft an barely has any muscle. I've been working on it for 8 months and it's about an inch bigger than when I started. What does a human hav to do to see chest results? I'm 15 and Im begging for help on what I née to do. My chest workout conssts of machine flys, flat and incline db bp, db flies, and flat bp. Do I have to add to it or what? I just want a decent chest, not a soft Tiby one. Please message me back a response as I probably won't remember to check back
    Tell what you've been doing and how often over the last 8 months. Also, how consistent have you been with what you've been doing?

ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItsMyTime248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Tell what you've been doing and how often over the last 8 months. Also, how consistent have you been with what you've been doing?
    Ive been doing the listed exercises mostly 3x8 each about once a week.
    I've taken a few breaks but or the most part once a week.

Ive been doing the listed exercises mostly 3x8 each about once a week.
    I've taken a few breaks but or the most part once a week.
    No, you do NOT need to add any exercises to that chest routine. That's plenty of exercises and sets (5 exercises and 15 sets).

Now, your challenge is to be more productive with those exercises and sets.

Be sure that you are constantly striving to lift more weight during every session. Overload the muscle with weight heavy enough to push the targeted muscle group (in this case, your chest) past what it has been able to do in the past is what stimulates new muscle group.

Make sure you are consistent with your training habits. I'm not sure what "a few breaks" is to you but should only take a planned, scheduled break from your weight training every 8 to 10 weeks. You don't want to get into the habit of taking random breaks.

In addition, your eating habits have a HUGE impact on your muscle gains after you've initiated the muscle growth process through effective weight training. Make sure you are eating properly 24/7/365 (or, as close to that as humanly possible or as badly was you want to improve). It's THAT important to your development.

You know, ItsMyTime248, one inch of growth on your chest alone is NOT all that bad. How much weight have you gained in that time period?

Train Hard. Think Big.
    Last edited by skiplacour; 11-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Hey again, Skip! I appreciate your time and effort and can't wait till next week to start utilizing all the knowledge you've shared with me. I would like to stay active on this thread to share my progress with you and receive any feedback you can give if that's alright?

Gotta keep this one short I'm on 12s all weekend but again I appreciate the help tremendously!! Hopefully Monday I can share my first legit workout report with ya.

Till then, many thanks!

Hey again, Skip! I appreciate your time and effort and can't wait till next week to start utilizing all the knowledge you've shared with me. I would like to stay active on this thread to share my progress with you and receive any feedback you can give if that's alright?

Gotta keep this one short I'm on 12s all weekend but again I appreciate the help tremendously!! Hopefully Monday I can share my first legit workout report with ya.

Till then, many thanks!
    Yes, stay active on this thread WrathofWhitey. I'll do whatever I can to help you.

IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) IRONWARRI0R has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for the podcasts Skip. I just listened to the first two and they were very motivational and informative. It's awesome that you give away all this free information, with your forum, videos, and podcasts. I really enjoy them, keep them coming!

Originally Posted by IRONWARRI0R View Post
    Thanks for the podcasts Skip. I just listened to the first two and they were very motivational and informative. It's awesome that you give away all this free information, with your forum, videos, and podcasts. I really enjoy them, keep them coming!
    Thanks, brother!

mirzaimranbaig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 38, I started bodybuilding for 1 month, I feels pain in my shoulders, when I do bench press

Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samuli has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi Skip!

Do you sometimes enjoy a couple of cold beers?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by mirzaimranbaig View Post
    I'm 38, I started bodybuilding for 1 month, I feels pain in my shoulders, when I do bench press
    Hi mirzaimranbaig....

It's tough for me t know if you are using too much of your shoulders to move the weight from "Point A" to "Point B" during the bench press movement and that's what causing the pain. Or, it could be your arm angle/positioning when doing the movement.

Do you feel pain when you use Pressing machines for the chest (like a Hammer Strength)?

If you don't feel any pain using the machines, those machines might be getting you in the right movement and getting you to execute the movement properly.

Originally Posted by Samuli View Post
    Hi Skip!

Do you sometimes enjoy a couple of cold beers?

Cheers!
    Hi Samuli

I have a drink every once in awhile--but I'm not a beer guy. I only drink beer on rare occasions (like when that's all there is to drink).
    Last edited by skiplacour; 11-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.

No, you do NOT need to add any exercises to that chest routine. That's plenty of exercises and sets (5 exercises and 15 sets).

Now, you challenge is to be more productive with those exercises and sets.

Be sure that you are constantly striving to lift more weight during every session. Overload the muscle with weight heavy enough to push the targeted muscle group (in this case, your chest) past what it has been able to do in the past is what stimulates new muscle group.

Make sure you are consistent with your training habits. I'm not sure what "a few breaks" is to you but should only take a planned, scheduled break from your weight training every 8 to 10 weeks. You don't want to get into the habit of taking random breaks.

In addition, your eating habits have a HUGE impact on your muscle gains after you've initiated the muscle growth process through effective weight training. Make sure you are eating properly 24/7/365 (or, as close to that as humanly possible or as badly was you want to improve). It's THAT important to your development.

You know, ItsMyTime248, one inch of growth on your chest alone is NOT all that bad. How much weight have you gained in that time period?

Train Hard. Think Big.
    24lb since I started. My problem is I don't know if my form is good on my flat DB flies and I feel like my flat BP form is completely off because I'm flat benching 75 pounds. 75 pounds.

24lb since I started. My problem is I don't know if my form is good on my flat DB flies and I feel like my flat BP form is completely off because I'm flat benching 75 pounds. 75 pounds.
    Hi ItsMyTime248....

Check out this video and let me know if there's a distinction or two that you find helpful.

How to Bench Press Correctly

Click Here to Watch Video

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by skiplacour; 11-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.

The mind is everything. SugarDoll's Avatar
    SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000) SugarDoll is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi ....

Check out this video and let me know if there's a distinction or two that you find helpful.

How to Bench Press Correctly

Click here to order
    Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition
    right here on Bodybuilding.com today
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this. I try to be careful with proper form during my bench presses because at times one of my shoulders hurts during the process.
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing."- Vince Lombardi

Journal:
    ––––•(-•*Living The Sugar Dream:::Live to Win*•-)•––––
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139117763

Closed Thread
Page 101 of 364 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast