Registered User nogoodnamesleft's Avatar
    nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Warmups/ Bench question

This morning I started a new 8 wk routine and it was triceps/ chest day.

Having bumped my BP weight up I was leary of jumping right into them, so I did some tricep pulldowns and cable flies to 'warm up' a little.

Then I jumped on the bench. I had planned on 3 x 8, but could only do 6 the first set. So I waited a few minutes, and tried the second set, I got 5.

Third set, back to 6.

So I thought maybe I was overweighted, or trying to do too much, and figured well, after a week or so, maybe I can go 3x8..but was frustrated.

So I finish my planned workout (dips, incline dumbell presses, etc...) and still pissed I couldn't do 3 x 8 i jumped back on the bench..

did 8, and could have done more. (maybe 2-3)

Is this lack of enough warm up? I'm no expert, but it appears to be the case.

Any insight would be appreciated

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nogoodnamesleft View Post

Having bumped my BP weight up I was leary of jumping right into them, so I did some tricep pulldowns and cable flies to 'warm up' a little.

Then I jumped on the bench. I had planned on 3 x 8, but could only do 6 the first set. So I waited a few minutes, and tried the second set, I got 5.

Third set, back to 6.

So I thought maybe I was overweighted, or trying to do too much, and figured well, after a week or so, maybe I can go 3x8..but was frustrated.

So I finish my planned workout (dips, incline dumbell presses, etc...) and still pissed I couldn't do 3 x 8 i jumped back on the bench..

Mornin'.....

I'm far from any 'expert' and there are many warmup routines, I'm sure.

Here's what I do to warm up for bench press: I'm currently 3x10 @ 175#
    80# 12 reps
    100# 10 reps
    120# 6 reps
    140# 1 rep
    175#....by then I'm warmed up suffieciently and it's balls to the wall @ 175# 3x10

As I say, there are many approaches and you may get more suggestions here that you will prefer.
    In any event, increasingly the wt in steady increments seems best.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigjarhead will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your "warm-up" sets only have to have around 10-15% of your max capability on the bar, high repitition is the key to warming up, for exapmle you might do 2 warm-up sets and 4-6 working sets for chest.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school. USMC

"Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
    - GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC. Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918.

SAEPIUS EXERTUS-SEMPER FIDELIS-FRATER INFINITAS

Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Third set, back to 6.

I would say you warmed up wrongly, vs. not enough. One thing to do is get the blood flowing through the body, so do some bodyweight squats, followed by some pushups, immediately followed by some bodyweight rows...do that circuit 2x without rest...then go to the bench, and I do 1 set of 8 at 50% of working weight, rest 1 minute, 1 set of 6 at 75% or working weight, rest 1 minute then 1 rep of 85% of working weight, and rest 2 minutes before going to working sets...gets the muscles and CNS used to the weight without pre-exhausting the muscles.

nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nogoodnamesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "I would say you warmed up wrongly, vs. not enough. One thing to do is get the blood flowing through the body, so do some bodyweight squats, followed by some pushups, immediately followed by some bodyweight rows...do that circuit 2x without rest...then go to the bench, and I do 1 set of 8 at 50% of working weight, rest 1 minute, 1 set of 6 at 75% or working weight, rest 1 minute then 1 rep of 85% of working weight, and rest 2 minutes before going to working sets...gets the muscles and CNS used to the weight without pre-exhausting the muscles."

Your first and last lines are both a huge tipoff to me. (the rest helps too..)

I was wondering if it was "enough" warming, vs. something wrong altogether.
    and last....I was always under the impression that you do your 'prime' or heavy lift early in the workout, when you had maximum energy. I wouldn't think that i would have the strength to max out reps on BP after several exercises.

maybe the fact that this is a first thing a.m. workout has something to do with it? maybe a little cardio and some of the above mentioned things first may help get the blood flowing before jumping on heavy lifts?

I am holding myself back by starting too early in the day?

Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I workout first thing in the morning as well, so getting the blood pumping and a nice little bead of sweat going is very important to me, so that's why I do the warmup circuit. Once you have your first exercise in the book, hoping that it's a compound movement, your done warming up for the day, you can go to working sets the rest of the workout.

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do like Wayne and do quite a few warmup sets, starting with a light weight then going up. I do not count any warmup for total sets....

for example I was doing the following for flat bb bench

45 lbs X 20 (just the bar, real slow)
    95 lbs X 12-15
    135 lbs X 12
    185 lbs X 10
    205 lbs x 6-8 (could go more, but this is still warmup for me)
    245 lbs X 5 for a total of 3-5 sets

if i cannot get five on the first try, I will drop it about 10lbs, then do it again. I also rest between 90secs-120secs between sets.

Also, once I go to the next exercise for that muscle group, there is no need to start light as I see alot of people doing. Hope this helps.

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    I do like Wayne and do quite a few warmup sets, starting with a light weight then going up. I do not count any warmup for total sets....

for example I was doing the following for flat bb bench

45 lbs X 20 (just the bar, real slow)
    95 lbs X 12-15
    135 lbs X 12
    185 lbs X 10
    205 lbs x 6-8 (could go more, but this is still warmup for me)
    245 lbs X 5 for a total of 3-5 sets

if i cannot get five on the first try, I will drop it about 10lbs, then do it again. I also rest between 90secs-120secs between sets.

Also, once I go to the next exercise for that muscle group, there is no need to start light as I see alot of people doing. Hope this helps.
    Me either.....once I warm up the muscle group and start heavy on the first exercise I go straight to the heavy max on the following exercises and I've had no problems.

Unlike you (wulf88), for some reason I've kept my warmup sets in increments of about 20#.
    But, as my maxes increase I may have to modify that approach and do the larger increments.
    Original music:

"One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000) TANK25 is just really nice. (+1000)

Third set, back to 6.

If you are benching,why do you start off doing triceps as a warm up?
    When I bench ,my warm up is 135 for8,225 for 8,then I start my sets.
    I`M IN IT FOR LIFE!!!!
    KILL THE STEEL!!!!

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wayne, I used to do the same thing, but with my left shoulder being iffy at best, I go by feel. Today it felt great so I pushed it a little more than usual, but only did db exercises for chest. I find as I get older and from lifitng for so many years and the injuries, that it takes a lot to get warmed up anymore. I would use icy hot or something along that line, but not many loike the strong smell of pepperemint. Then again, i do not like the smell of fools who do not shower regularly and not use deoderant.

Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    I find as I get older and from lifitng for so many years and the injuries, that it takes a lot to get warmed up anymore. .
    Chucke chuckle.........
    That's certainly the truth for this old blister.

Well nogoodnamesleft.....are you back on the path to warmup wisdom?

Good luck.
    Original music:

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Unless your intention is to pre-exhaust you tri's, so your pecs will do more work, I'd suggest you didn't do any triceps exercises before you do chest. Also, If you're doing benches, it's not a good idea to warm-up with another chest movement. Do your bench warmups with benches, to get your body, and your head, focused. Do a set with the bar, a set with half your working weight, and a set with about 60% of your working weight, then progress to your work sets.
    I don't know what your training experience is, but after you've got a few years under your belt, you will have the knowledge and experience to be able to mix things up a bit. If you're relatively new to bodybuilding, the slower, direct approach to a warmup, as stated above, is probably a better bet. Hope this helps you. Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have to take my time warming up with bench or bad things happen. I like to start with around half of my working weight and move up in equal increments with at least 2 or 3 more sets to my working weight.
    UP the IRONS!

Wink

thanks to all.......lots of info there.

tank25, my thought was since the BP works both chest and tris, 1 exercise of each to warm up was a good idea

ironwill2008- my total experience in fitness training or building is about 10 wks...in the last 18 yrs...and then it was only what was needed for baseball/ cross country...so right now I'm a sponge, trying to soak up as much info, and as many points of view as possible.

and Wayne....yeah, I think I can see the path now.