Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100)

How long does it take to start burning fat??

hey everyone,

i keep hearing that when u start doing cardio, it takes about 20 minutes for the body to start burning fat....meaning the first 20 minutes ur not burning fat. i also heard if u start off real intense, ull end up burning muscle. (these online articles are confusing).

but then when i get on the elliptical at the gym, it says for my age and weight, my heart rate has to be 127 to be in the "fat burn" stage....so if i get on the elliptical and 2 minutes later im at 127, am i burning fat? Or does it REALLY take about 20 minutes for the body to use fat as fuel...

i typically do cardio right after a nice workout, for about 20 minutes. so when i read these articles, i was like "wait, so the whole 20 minutes im not burning fat???"

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Beck2Ginn View Post
    hey everyone,

i keep hearing that when u start doing cardio, it takes about 20 minutes for the body to start burning fat....meaning the first 20 minutes ur not burning fat. i also heard if u start off real intense, ull end up burning muscle. (these online articles are confusing).

but then when i get on the elliptical at the gym, it says for my age and weight, my heart rate has to be 127 to be in the "fat burn" stage....so if i get on the elliptical and 2 minutes later im at 127, am i burning fat? Or does it REALLY take about 20 minutes for the body to use fat as fuel...

i typically do cardio right after a nice workout, for about 20 minutes. so when i read these articles, i was like "wait, so the whole 20 minutes im not burning fat???"

If you stick to the 127 HR then you are burning fat the whole time after a workout. You are glycogen depleted from lifting, so you are going to be using stored fat for fuel unless you get above that HR. If you go higher then you are going to be breaking down stored protein (muscke) for fuel for the higher intensity work you are doing.

The 20 minute threshold is for someone that is not glycogen depleted. Supposedly it takes you about 20 minutes to use up your current glycogen and switch over to stored fat for fuel. Again, this is if you're HR is 127 or less.

You can also get a similar workout first thing in the morning before eating anything because you will be glycogen depleted. Low intensity "cardio" is the way to go to loose fat and spare the muscle IMO.

TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hey everyone,

You're always burning fat no matter what you're doing. It's just a matter of how much you're burning is coming from fat. Your body is a constant state of building and breaking itself down as needed based on what you're doing.

You still burn fat even in the first 20 minutes you're doing cardio, the percentage just increases more the longer into the session you get.
    Only Those Who Risk Going Too Far Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go

Forever Cutting (My Road to 10%):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163945981

Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100) Beck2Ginn is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Todd_A View Post
    If you go higher then you are going to be breaking down stored protein (muscke) for fuel for the higher intensity work you are doing.

whoa...so i cant go above 127ish, otherwise i wont be burning fat? typically i go up to 155 or so after a workout....127ish barely seems like im moving on the elliptical after a workout. i see some guys run after lifting weights..

so i guess i dont need to go that high?

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whoa...so i cant go above 127ish, otherwise i wont be burning fat? typically i go up to 155 or so after a workout....127ish barely seems like im moving on the elliptical after a workout. i see some guys run after lifting weights..

so i guess i dont need to go that high?
    You need to calculate your target heart rate zone for fat burning. There are various formulas, check em out on google. Or get 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle' by Venuto which discusses this in depth.
    "Current trades: Shorting fat, going long on muscle"