Thread: NASM question

HowardsRock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NASM question

Hey y'all, I appreciate the information I've been given already concerning the NASM test. I haven't gotten the study material yet, but I've been doing the online course till the book comes and wanted to ask a real quick question.

I know the OPT model will be covered in depth. However, should I spend a lot of time on the science behind human movement? Like, how myosin heads attach to actin, SA nodes, etc? I find myself wanted to move ahead, but I'm really making sure I know ALL of this stuff. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time necessarily.

Thanks for the help.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I took the NASM exam about 2 years ago and the anatomy/physiology is very basic on the exam and text. Movement wise I would focus more on the specific exercises they give you and the kinesiology that goes with it.

kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im studying for the NASM now and i've been told that a good 40 sum questions are about application of the human movement science, Such as eccentic, concentric, isometric, abduction, adduction, etc.

i've been told that the actual exam is nothing like the practice exam
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    BJ Penn > You

GO COWBOYS!!

ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ny58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is my take on the test:
    all multiple choice. . . and the first few chapters are the hardest, but as u read on it all comes together and starts to make sense. . the test wasn't to bad. . a lot of questions like this: .. if a clients knees are turned in during a squat assessment what should u do. . and the options would be different muscles to strengthen (so know that chart that shows under and overactive muscles for assessments on page 123 in text book). . that entire section is important also know how to stretch them or correct these movements with exercises. . ie if there is an excessive lean forward during the squat assessment. . u should know that a stabilty ball wall squat is a corrective exercise . .. . . some of it was common sense. . .at least 3 or 4 questions on the planes of motion. . ie A biceps curl is performed in what plane of motion (sagittal). . or a cable rotation is performed in what plane of motion? (transverse). . make sure u understand all the info. . dont just memorize. . for instance in the book it repeats a bunch of times that an average adult needs 96 ounces of water a day, but then on the test they ask it in quarts. . just to try and throw u off. .stupid little things like that. . overall it's a fair test . .i went to one of the workshops 5 days before i took the test and it def helped. .oh yeah they will give u an exercise and ask u what type it is. . ie a balance strength, stability power ect.. so know the OPT model
    Certified NASM Personal Trainer

Workout Program (P/RR/S):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6398381

kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ny58 View Post
    all multiple choice. . . and the first few chapters are the hardest, but as u read on it all comes together and starts to make sense. . the test wasn't to bad. . a lot of questions like this: .. if a clients knees are turned in during a squat assessment what should u do. . and the options would be different muscles to strengthen (so know that chart that shows under and overactive muscles for assessments on page 123 in text book). . that entire section is important also know how to stretch them or correct these movements with exercises. . ie if there is an excessive lean forward during the squat assessment. . u should know that a stabilty ball wall squat is a corrective exercise . .. . . some of it was common sense. . .at least 3 or 4 questions on the planes of motion. . ie A biceps curl is performed in what plane of motion (sagittal). . or a cable rotation is performed in what plane of motion? (transverse). . make sure u understand all the info. . dont just memorize. . for instance in the book it repeats a bunch of times that an average adult needs 96 ounces of water a day, but then on the test they ask it in quarts. . just to try and throw u off. .stupid little things like that. . overall it's a fair test . .i went to one of the workshops 5 days before i took the test and it def helped. .oh yeah they will give u an exercise and ask u what type it is. . ie a balance strength, stability power ect.. so know the OPT model
    so its safe to say that the actual test is tricky, but not to hard and a major focus is on application of assessments more so than textbook definitions?
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    BJ Penn > You

GO COWBOYS!!

URZARAGE7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question maybe you can answer me for the test are they going based on the third or fourth edition of the CPT Manual.?
    Originally Posted by ny58 View Post

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HowardsRock View Post
    Hey y'all, I appreciate the information I've been given already concerning the NASM test. I haven't gotten the study material yet, but I've been doing the online course till the book comes and wanted to ask a real quick question.

I know the OPT model will be covered in depth. However, should I spend a lot of time on the science behind human movement? Like, how myosin heads attach to actin, SA nodes, etc? I find myself wanted to move ahead, but I'm really making sure I know ALL of this stuff. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time necessarily.

Thanks for the help.
    Knowledge wise you are not wasting your time. It is very important that you have a physiological foundation because if that's absent you will find other concepts difficult to grasp and it will be near impossible for you to formulate your own opinions relating to your clients problems, progression and failures.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Michigan722 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Took the test about 2 months ago. Study muscle imbalances well and which muscle cause it or need to be strengthened.
    My test was pretty close to the practice exams
    See what I take for energy during workouts and who sponsors the physique freak!
    My sponsor http://www.trychampionenergy.com/#!nicholas-dirasian/cxl0
    Free motivation and advice! Instagram - nick_dirasian