Thread: Drop Sets

denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Drop Sets

Could someone please explain to me the correct way to do drop sets. I know you go 30lbs20lbs15lbs down in weight without rest, but do you change the reps? Also do you do more than one set of this?

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by denee422 View Post
    Could someone please explain to me the correct way to do drop sets. I know you go 30lbs20lbs15lbs down in weight without rest, but do you change the reps? Also do you do more than one set of this?
    you've got the principle of drop setting all wrong

a drop is where you train to failure on your working weight and then keep adding weight for sets

heres an article for you to read

Drop sets are often referred to as "stripping" the weights, or "burnouts." After you reach failure with your working weight, a partner quickly reduces the poundage you're lifting--by stripping off the weight, as it were--so that you can complete more reps, taking you beyond your threshold for failure at your initial working weight. Thompson explains how to correctly implement drop sets to stimulate muscular development.

* Use a drop set as the last set of a particular exercise. You should not use a drop set for more than one set of any exercise. "Pyramid up in weight for each set, then include a drop set for the last set with your heaviest weight," Thompson says.

* Perform only one or two drop sets in a given workout. "This technique places a lot of stress on your target muscle in a very short period of time," Thompson says. "Only use it for one or two exercises in any workout."
    advertisement

* Perform drop sets only once or twice a week. "Use drop sets to train a lagging body part, or a particular body part you are targeting for growth," says Thompson. Target-train these body parts for six to eight weeks before switching your training strategy. Drop sets should be used for extra stimulation. If you use them all the time, your body will accommodate itself to them, as it does to all training strategies. This may be part of the reason you're not seeing the development you expected to from using this technique.

* Use your judgment to determine how many drops to perform.

"In a given set, you can use one, two or even several drops," Thompson says. "As long as you stay strict with your form, you can really tax your target muscle by going all the way down until you're only lifting about 10 to 20 percent of your initial weight for that set."

* Decrease weight in increments. "The first drop should bring you to about 80 percent of the working weight for that set," Thompson says. "If instead you cut the weight in half and pump out 20 reps, you're missing out on the benefits of drop sets." For subsequent drops, Thompson recommends going to about 60 percent to 70 percent of the initial weight, then on the next drop to 50 percent. "But this can vary based on how much fatigue you feel in your target muscle."

* Use a partner. Finally, Thompson advises enlisting a partner unless you're using a machine and can quickly change the pin. "If you have to get up to change the weight, then you're taking too long between the set and the drop. That allows for too much recovery and undercuts the benefit of the drop set."

this is the link to that article
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_104682182

and this is from our very own bb.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dropsets.htm
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) denee422 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Well thank you. My shoulders get fatigued but I can't seem to get any growth. I appreciate you clearing that up and I will follow the advise.

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well thank you. My shoulders get fatigued but I can't seem to get any growth. I appreciate you clearing that up and I will follow the advise.
    Shoulders are a small muscle group and take time to build up - keep up the hard work and you'll soon see a difference

what are you doing for your shoulders currently?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not sure that you are that far off here (don't quite agree with Mindi911). The article she provided was on target. Drop sets take you beyond failure. A drop set is really a group of sets within a set using descending weight.

For example, here is 1 drop set on barbell Bench press:

275x8 (failure), 225x6 (failure), 185x10 (failure), 135x8 (failure)

The number of reps I provide is just an example. The key word is FAILURE. I go until I cannot do one more rep before "stripping" weight. In fact, the last rep of each mini set is often a forced rep. The only rest you get between sets is the amount of time it takes your partner to strip.

This approach trains all sorts of different muscle fiber and burns up a bunch of calories (during workout and after workout). I use this technique quite a bit.

Like the article says, don't overuse this technique. Try other techniques like straight sets, negatives, rest pause, and high rep sets. Keep your muscles guessing.

what don't you quite agree with me on?

nvm I see what you're saying I said she was wrong but no your right she wasn't that far off the mark

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000)
    It depends on what your body reacts to. With dedicated shoulder workouts, I always found I fatigued too early and never really got the workout I wanted. The only way I ever got the shoulder development that I wanted was to train them more often - so in this case a full body split worked better for me cause I got to train them 4 times a week vs once a week.

Like I said though, it depends on you. Some people don't react well to full body, and feel that some parts (i.e. arms, forearms) get somewhat left behind the core muscles. What I would recommend is to focus on your basic presses and leave all the side, front and rear raise variations until the end of your workout. I like using the push press as well, because it allows you to use a little more weight than normal military press. Good luck.

I don't use drop sets though ever in my workouts. They are an effective way to get muscle stimulation, but I find I don't recover in time to train the muscle group again after failure, so I don't. My point is that drop sets don't fit into every single program! For example, here's an excerpt from a Waterbury Article (Full body training);

"Failure training (appropriately named) mandates extended rest periods. One of the most evident downfalls of training to failure is the amount of fatigue it induces. The cardiovascular demand, excessive lactic acid build-up, and nervous system fatigue caused by a single set of squats or deadlifts to failure is enough to have you hurling and trembling like Linda Blair. When you're pushing the clock, there's no time to sit around and wait for your muscles to pull themselves out of the hole you've dug for them.

In addition to longer rest periods that must be incorporated within the workout, failure training also extends your recovery time between workouts. My empirical evidence has shown this increase in recovery time to be upwards of an additional 48 hours! This is bad news for those who are interested in multiple total-body sessions throughout the week. Therefore, you shouldn't approach failure until the last rep of the last set of each exercise, if at all."

So, like Mindi's article said, use these as the last set of an exercise (I would even go further and said as the last set for a muscle group).... Good luck.

Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    Shoulders are a small muscle group and take time to build up - keep up the hard work and you'll soon see a difference

what are you doing for your shoulders currently?
    Last edited by nervesgone; 05-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Originally Posted by nervesgone View Post
    It depends on what your body reacts to. With dedicated shoulder workouts, I always found I fatigued too early and never really got the workout I wanted. The only way I ever got the shoulder development that I wanted was to train them more often - so in this case a full body split worked better for me cause I got to train them 4 times a week vs once a week.

Like I said though, it depends on you. Some people don't react well to full body, and feel that some parts (i.e. arms, forearms) get somewhat left behind the core muscles. What I would recommend is to focus on your basic presses and leave all the side, front and rear raise variations until the end of your workout. I like using the push press as well, because it allows you to use a little more weight than normal military press. Good luck.

I don't use drop sets though ever in my workouts. They are an effective way to get muscle stimulation, but I find I don't recover in time to train the muscle group again after failure, so I don't. My point is that drop sets don't fit into every single program!
    Agreed it does depend on the person. The shoulders are definitely a funny thing, I've gone from doing full body workouts to splits, I enjoyed full body workouts (btw shoulders are my favourite part currently to exercise) however I did feel like I wasn't giving each body part enough attention, even though I was reluctant to do a split because I enjoyed the intensity of a full body workout.

currently I am doing a two day split and hit my shoulders twice a week - I corporate a press and two laterals. My shoulders are already reaping the benefits and it's only been two weeks

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Here is what I usually do for shoulders:

Shoulder press 3/15-can barley do this with 12.5s
    Front raises 3/12/8-just increased the weight from 5 to 8 and decreased the reps from 15 to 12
    Upright rows 3/12-sometimes I alternate this with seated bent over side raises

I train shoulders once a week always mid week with legs, because I feel like they get stressed a lot with chest and back.

OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OakExpress is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nervesgone View Post
    So, like Mindi's article said, use these as the last set of an exercise (I would even go further and said as the last set for a muscle group).... Good luck.
    That's key. If you did drop sets for each set, you'd be a hurting unit for sure. The way I have my split laid out, I can incorporate drop sets without issue. However, I use all sorts of intensity techniques. Most of them time, like with drop sets, the intensity technique is used on the last set.

For example, I will do...
    - 2-3 warmup sets, straight sets, not near failure (saving my strength)
    - 1 heavy set
    - 1 "intensity" set (e.g. rest-pause, negative, drop set, widowmaker, ...)

I've been training this way for about 6 years and I've put on about 30 lbs of muscle drug-free. Results may vary. I think my body has the ability to recover better than the average trainer.

so what do you mean by you "intensity set" negatives and windowmaker?

so what do you mean by you "intensity set" negatives and windowmaker?
    An intensity set is a set where I use a particular technique rather than just a straight set. When I do a straight set, I do a particular repetition range and normally don't go to failure.

So, here are some of the techniques I employ during an intensity set.

Negative - on the eccentric phase of the lift (muscle lengthening rather than contracting), I go very slow.

Widowmaker - I choose a challenging weight that I can, through great pain, heavy breathing, and force of will, complete 20 repetitions.

Drop Set - you know what this is...

Rest Pause - Choose a challenging weight, go to failure, take 8-10 deep breaths, continue the set with the same weight, take 8-10 deep breaths, continue the set to faiulre.

Remember to use the techniques sparingly if you have issues recovering and growing muscle. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by OakExpress; 05-01-2008 at 04:23 PM.

CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    currently I am doing a two day split and hit my shoulders twice a week - I corporate a press and two laterals. My shoulders are already reaping the benefits and it's only been two weeks
    Mindi, can I ask what your workouts look like right now? Like an example of your split and the volume you do per workout?

I am really looking to bring out my delts and triceps but have been struggling lately. Right now, I am only working each BP once per week, but with good intensity. I am wondering if working them more often but with less volume would help. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CassBH View Post
    Mindi, can I ask what your workouts look like right now? Like an example of your split and the volume you do per workout?

I am really looking to bring out my delts and triceps but have been struggling lately. Right now, I am only working each BP once per week, but with good intensity. I am wondering if working them more often but with less volume would help. Thanks!
    pm sent

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0