R's don't exist in Boston Lovespell's Avatar
    Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Treadmill Incline Walking..

Hey guys. Now a couple years ago all I used the Treadmill for was running, but now that I am out of shape and winded much easier, I set the treadmill incline to MAX(15.0 on the tread I use) and usually walk from 3.2 speed to 4.0 speed. It shows my calories being burned a much higher amount than I expect.

For example, 40 minutes of this incline at 3.5 speed will give me like 520-550 calories burned. However, I know these machines aren't accurate. My question to you all is ... is this considered a good cardio session? I can't get it out of my head that walking isn't cardio, and most days I try to do interval running and then back to high incline power walking on the tread.

Anyone else use this as a form of a cardio workout? Is it adequate enough for my fat loss journey? Thanks all

Much love,
    L*
    Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking;
    If you cheat, may it death.
    If you steal, may it be a heart.
    If you fight, may it be for a friend.
    And if if you drink, may it be with me.

Anabolic Lifestyle Shubbard1821's Avatar
    Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I say its great but I know running is almost always favored over walking even at an incline. I run for about a mile then switch over to inclined walking, at about the % you do for a good 5-10 minutes. then back to running. But if it works for you I say stick with it.
    "My body is simply a reflection of my research/knoweldge + movitation/drive/determination/consistency/etc." -Trance__Dreamer

ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChiefGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I use it incline walking after every lifting session for 20-30 minutes depending on how I did eating that day. I only go high enough and fast enough however to get my heart rate to 140. For me that's a 7% incline at 4mph. Yesterday the machine said 250 calories in 30 minutes. I do HIIT on non-lifting days.
    Bench - 285
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 455

xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any activity that raises your heart rate to your target level can be considered a good cardio workout. So yes, incline walking is great!

I do a lot of backpacking, and so do a lot more incline walking (and stairmaster) for my cardio than running. I just wish I could do DECLINE walking on a treadmill -- that's what really kills you on a trail.

DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lgc21x View Post
    Hey guys. Now a couple years ago all I used the Treadmill for was running, but now that I am out of shape and winded much easier, I set the treadmill incline to MAX(15.0 on the tread I use) and usually walk from 3.2 speed to 4.0 speed. It shows my calories being burned a much higher amount than I expect.

For example, 40 minutes of this incline at 3.5 speed will give me like 520-550 calories burned. However, I know these machines aren't accurate. My question to you all is ... is this considered a good cardio session? I can't get it out of my head that walking isn't cardio, and most days I try to do interval running and then back to high incline power walking on the tread.

Anyone else use this as a form of a cardio workout? Is it adequate enough for my fat loss journey? Thanks all

Much love,
    L*

It's actually probably pretty close...the incline adds ALOT more then flat walking....4.0mph at 5% incline for 60 minutes burns over 600 calories for a 200lb guy

justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin36253 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just make sure u aren't just hanging onto the treadmill, that takes all the work out of it, make sure you are actually walking.

Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lovespell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Mostly, I put my hands on the top of the treadmill to avoid falling off since the incline is so high. Is that bad?

Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shubbard1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by justin36253 View Post
    just make sure u aren't just hanging onto the treadmill, that takes all the work out of it, make sure you are actually walking.
    yeah I'm pretty sure swinging your arms increases BPM by 1-2
    "My body is simply a reflection of my research/knoweldge + movitation/drive/determination/consistency/etc." -Trance__Dreamer

Originally Posted by lgc21x View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Mostly, I put my hands on the top of the treadmill to avoid falling off since the incline is so high. Is that bad?
    well if you fall off without doing it yeah haha maybe try les of an incline so you can swing dem arms :P

ah alright thanks

uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uno99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    first of all walking on incline for fat loss is great! very low impact and can really get your heartrate up there. just make sure your around 140-150 bpm and your gonna burn a good amount of calories. What I tend to do is walk around 3.5 for 4 minutes and then run at 4.5 for 1 minute.

however....

holding on to the treadmill = cheating. It takes the weight of your arms off the machine and makes walking on an incline totally redundant (especially if your leaning back) I laugh when I see people at the gym doing that.
    Set the speed lower if neccisary and get your arms swinging.

Unregistered User kickfacejimmy's Avatar
    kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10) kickfacejimmy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by uno99 View Post
    first of all walking on incline for fat loss is great! very low impact and can really get your heartrate up there. just make sure your around 140-150 bpm and your gonna burn a good amount of calories. What I tend to do is walk around 3.5 for 4 minutes and then run at 4.5 for 1 minute.

however....

holding on to the treadmill = cheating. It takes the weight of your arms off the machine and makes walking on an incline totally redundant (especially if your leaning back) I laugh when I see people at the gym doing that.

x2 don't hold on. If you were walking up a hill you wouldn't hold onto anything. Treat the treadmil the same way.

ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShadyRensch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ChiefGuy View Post
    I use it incline walking after every lifting session for 20-30 minutes depending on how I did eating that day. I only go high enough and fast enough however to get my heart rate to 140. For me that's a 7% incline at 4mph. Yesterday the machine said 250 calories in 30 minutes. I do HIIT on non-lifting days.
    I do the same as ChiefGuyGuy, with good success so far. Usually a 7-10% incline at 3.3+ MPH. Gets a good sweat goin but not TOO taxing to maybe attribute to muscle loss.

sctp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doing my HIIT session on treadmill with inclination,i'd say its pretty effective with 11% inclination and 1min @ 6.5kmh and 30sec @ 12kmh gives a nice bmp(145-180 for me).

cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbrickhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try the elliptical cross trainer (if you have one) and raise the resistance and height of the incline for that. you will burn a ton of calories.

Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xihix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do 5mph on a 6.5 incline for 45 min total (though I do 25 min first, then elliptical for about 15 min, then back for 20 min, and then something else). I find it hard not to hold on to the treadmill sometimes, though usually just one hand. I don't have a good sense of balance, so I usually trip and fall if I don't for too long. But yeah, it's still great low impact cardio.

blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DanTheManB View Post
    It's actually probably pretty close...the incline adds ALOT more then flat walking....4.0mph at 5% incline for 60 minutes burns over 600 calories for a 200lb guy
    Where did you get 600 calories from? I walk at 3.5mph at 12% incline for 45 minutes and only burn around 320 according to the treadmill reading

Fitmissdreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

however....

Do you eat back the calories you burn on lifting days?? Anyone know this? Say I lift first thing in the morning and walk at night?

Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Latture has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've heard that it's common for bodybuilders that are on the heavier side to do this type of cardio. I do it sometimes too.

What I've also heard is moving your arms is irrelevant. This was not for running, it was for an elliptical machine, but I am wondering if it still applies here. The argument was you want your legs to be doing as much work as possible because they are the largest muscle group in the body and that will burn the most calories, however moving your arms on a treadmill is not really decreasing the work your legs do. I am not a very good source for this kind of information however , I'm still a little fat myself and struggle with cardio.

kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't see how you guys go that fast without holding on lol. I do 2.5mph at 15 incline myself. I sweat so much i'm dripping on the belt. And my resting heart rate is a paltry 48. so it definitely works.

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Is this bro-science or is it verified? I get what you're saying, but it's not like the weight that you're removing from your legs is just dissipating into the ether -- now it's being transferred into your arms/chest. So you're body's still working.

I can definitely agree that it probably mitigates it to some extent, but I don't think it would render the incline redundant... You're still going to be getting a much more physical workout with a high incline, whether you're holding on or not.
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000) kureransu is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    Is this bro-science or is it verified? I get what you're saying, but it's not like the weight that you're removing from your legs is just dissipating into the ether -- now it's being transferred into your arms/chest. So you're body's still working.

I can definitely agree that it probably mitigates it to some extent, but I don't think it would render the incline redundant... You're still going to be getting a much more physical workout with a high incline, whether you're holding on or not.
    i can tell you that when holding the bar my heart rate is around 112, without it, its 140.