smoineau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much weight should I lift to build mass vs. definition?

Dear members,

I have been training for approximately 9 months now and seem to be stuck with the issue of how much weight I should be lifting. I am well aware that this is different for every woman, but some guidance, any guidance would be helpful. In particular, I am struggling to make gains on my legs. Can anyone advise on range of weight, number of sets/reps for something like a standard leg press.

I am pretty sure I have good form, but not sure how much I should be expecting to lift -- currently managing 230 lbs., but fear this is too light to see gains.

I am curious to get some figures for a reference.

Much thanks,

bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bull.dogz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go as heavy as you can while still using good form. To build mass your going to want a weight that you can only get about 3-6 reps, where definition you want high reps.
    CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    Email: Laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000) Twerp is just really nice. (+1000)
    We're kinda confusing a couple of things here. Definition is a measure of bodyfat percentage. You can't "shape" a muscle, or make it look more defined. You can build a muscle, and then you can strip the fat away to give the desired level of definition.

While everyone is different, Strength gains typically come from performing sets using a lower rep range (2-6), whereas hypertrophy typically comes from performing sets with a slightly higher rep range (7-12), and then a rep range 13 or higher is typically used for fat loss (Note, I understand this is ultra-simplified and doesn't get into total reps per bodypart). But for balance, there's no harm in combining strength and hypertrophy in your routine.

Originally Posted by bull.dogz View Post
    Go as heavy as you can while still using good form. To build mass your going to want a weight that you can only get about 3-6 reps, where definition you want high reps.

smoineau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Much thanks for the advice

goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) goddessamazon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Legs are the hardest thing to develop on women especially if you carry your weight in that area like I do.

It took damn near 11 months. COUNT THEM........9...10....11 months to get some cut in my legs. Unless you are preparing for a competition I highly suggest you go heavy for 5 - 6 weeks and take off a week then repeat. Even switch up your leg day. Just like abs, the less body fat you have in your thighs the more likely your muscles will show.

Hope that helps.
    "I will persist until I succeed!" - Og Mandino

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid."